Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW raids used to be taken personal because of the Lore.

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been playing WoW for seven years and I must say, the most fun part of the raids is the end bosses, back then we took raids personally, we knew about these bosses for a long time and we want to kill them before we even played WoW. Bosses like Illidan, C'thun, Lich King, Deathwing, Nefarion, etc. However, in this expansion I have no idea who am I fighting against. I think this is a step down, but that's only my opinion, I think blizzard should do war of the ancients raid, where all the old bosses become available like Gul'dan and Kil'Jaeden. What do you guys think.

Deleted
    C'thun. Really?

There's a lot of lore behind the bosses in MoP, and it's all there if you care to look. It may not interest you, but that's another story.

Gul'dan, Kil'jaeden, sure... in a future expansion. Didn't Wrathion mention that there were stirrings of the Burning Legion afoot?
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-04-30 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinks;20980673 I think blizzard should [B
    do war of the ancients raid, where all the old bosses become available like Gul'dan and Kil'Jaeden[/B]. What do you guys think.
    What? Really? I take it personally that you know jack shit about lore. Your opinion on lore is now invalid.

I didn't know anything about C'thun and Nefarian before WoW.

But I know what you're talking about, Sha of "something" seems really bad for me because I think that Sha was made in a slapdash way. It's because we didn't know anything about them before(though C'thun and Yogg-Saron seemed much better and we also didn't know anything about them before Vanilla/Wotlk, but it's my opinion).

Personally I think that the next expansion is going to be Burning Legion with Kil'jaeden as the main boss, which would raise number of subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Same goes for Lady Vash...Gruul...Melchezaar, Yogg Saron, Anub Arak, Ragnaros (him again), Chogall, Al'Akir, Onyxia....no..can't say I took any of them personally.
    You played Wc3 and you didn't know who Lady Vash and Anub'arak are?
    You just meant Wc3:RoC I think.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Also sorry the Mantid, sha, and thunder king had plenty of build up. Might I suggest reading or not playing blindfolded.
    Mantids are okay, because there are little connected with Ah'Qiraj(bugs and they worshiped Old Gods before).
    Sha and Thunder King came up from the mist...( ) we didn't know anything about them before, this is the reason why they aren't as epic as Illidan/Arthas(once more: it's my opinion!), because their lore are just in one patch/retrospections.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Having played both W3 RoC and FT, read about war of the ancients, it was a blast to fight such iconic character.
    I completely agree with you.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2013-04-30 at 02:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't see how the raids were taken personally because of lore? when i started and for years after back in vanilla i knew nothing of lore or anything, just went in and had fun. making a sweeping statement like that because you took it that way doesnt mean everyone did.

It takes all types to make the world of warcraft spin!
    Hi

Also sorry the Mantid, sha, and thunder king had plenty of build up. Might I suggest reading or not playing blindfolded.

---------- Post added 2013-04-30 at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Personally I think that the next expansion is going to be Burning Legion with Kil'jaeden as the main boss, which would raise number of subscriptions.
    I've said this EXACT thing before. Endboss KJ, BL/Argus expansion bulks subs/ Blizzcon erupts into a party at announcement of said expac.

Can we kill Mal'Ganis? Prolly see Varimathras again too.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-04-30 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post

yeah, a lot of lore is explained through quest chains, or those scrolls this expansion, and i'd say about 90% of people dont read any quest texts apart from objectives and didn't read / listen to the panda (forgot his name) on the lore scrolls.

I started raiding early in BC and I can tell you that I didn't care about lore then or now. The only reason I raided was for gear that looked awesome and to be the best / number 1 guild on the server.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    one reason i loved TBC, so much more

medhiv, lady vashj, kael thas, illidan, sargeras, kil jaeden.
    Having played both W3 RoC and FT, read about war of the ancients, it was a blast to fight such iconic character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly welcome! =) ... And i agree with you a 100%!

C'thun was never mentioned anywhere in lore or in game until you reached him in the raid. Nefarian wasn't mentioned until UBRS, and even then he was "just some human guy" right up until he transformed into dragon form at the end of BWD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinks View Post
    However, in this expansion I have no idea who am I fighting against. I think this is a step down, but that's only my opinion,
    I guess you missed questing in Kun-Lai, which explained that the Trolls managed to get the corpse of Lei Shen, which they then resurrected. Or the lore objects on Pandaria that talked about the Mogu Emperors (including Lei Shen) and the various mentions of which Emperor created the Serpent's Spine (the long wall between the Mantid/Yaungol territory and the rest of Pandaria)
    You must've missed questing in the Dread Wastes aswell, considering most of it was leading up the raid, explaining that Shek'zeer was corrupted by the Sha of Fear.
    Not to mention all the story about the Sha throughout all of Pandaria, including the Sha of Fear.

So I'm not sure where you're getting this ''I have no idea who I am fighting against'' thing from.

I think blizzard should do war of the ancients raid, where all the old bosses become available like Gul'dan and Kil'Jaeden. What do you guys think.
    Except Gul'dan and Kil'jaeden had nothing to do with the War of the Ancients. It was mainly Archimonde and Mannoroth that were leading the attacks on Azeroth. Gul'dan probably didn't even exist at that point.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Was never like that for me, been raiding hardcore since we had UBRS on the DKP list back in vanilla before Molten core was released :P

Was always about the encounter, never about the lore. Getting gear and improving my character that way

Truth be told, Lei Shen had a lot more of a story build up than C'thun did, for example(let alone Nefarian).

I completely agree with this. I remember killing Kil'jaeden (spelling) for the first time in Cata, and it was simply glorious. Even though it wasn't a hard fight, I knew KJ because I love lore. I wanted to experience it from a story point of view and it was just amazing. I've really felt that some of the quality of raid bosses in MoP are less because of this. I know that there is lore for bosses, but it isn't the same as LK or KJ. MSV for example. Every single boss is just made up there and some of the story is shown with Cho being with you. Also, bosses 4-7 in ToT. Random beast bosses underneath the citadel that serve no purpose story wise, it's just a boss. Not to completely berate the bosses and their design. This isn't looking at the bosses from a design point of view, that's a whole different story. Killing Lei Shen will be cooler, I think, because there are quests in kun-lai with the trolls actually reviving Lei Shen. There's a story behind him and he's only mentioned by the trolls for the most part until ToT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lei Shin and the Empress both got quite a bit of build up, Lei Shin through the northern Kun Lai Summit quests and parts of the Golden Lotus, Empress through most of the Dread Wastes zone.

Also, what did KJ and Gul'dan have to do with the War of the Ancients?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draahl View Post
    Was never like that for me, been raiding hardcore since we had UBRS on the DKP list back in vanilla before Molten core was released :P

Was always about the encounter, never about the lore. Getting gear and improving my character that way
    Molten Core was available on launch...

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been playing WoW for seven years and I must say, the most fun part of the raids is the end bosses, back then we took raids personally, we knew about these bosses for a long time and we want to kill them before we even played WoW. Bosses like Illidan, C'thun, Lich King, Deathwing, Nefarion, etc. However, in this expansion I have no idea who am I fighting against. I think this is a step down, but that's only my opinion, I think blizzard should do war of the ancients raid, where all the old bosses become available like Gul'dan and Kil'Jaeden. What do you guys think.
    Welcome to the forums *baptism by fire thread it appears*.

I knew some of the bosses in wow (only the last raid boss and the dragon before him in Nax were known to anyone who played warcraft 3 the other raid bosses were new to the game and lore). We never knew the bosses for a long time it was impossible to do so. The only way we knew of those bosses was via questing in and around the dungeons and zones. Same as in MOP. They built up the new raids brilliantly. They had to make new lore for this expansion as its gone in a slightly different direction. Its closer to Vanilla wow in that the raids had new lore villains who we did not know from WC3/2/1.

They were doing a WOTA raid but it got scrapped and we got the 5man instance instead.

we knew about these bosses for a long time and we want to kill them before we even played WoW. Bosses like Illidan, C'thun, Lich King, Deathwing, Nefarion, etc.
    I would like to know what you played or read that gave you any lore about C'thun or Nefarian before WoW came out.

Neither of these guys were mentioned in any of the material I read, and the only raid boss in vanilla outside of Naxxramas that was mentioned anywhere was Ragnaros, but that was only in the RPG books (Lands of Conflict, released July 2004) and I have a pretty good feeling most people who bitch about lore never read those (much less read them as they were coming out, before WoW).

Just another misguided lore thread who thinks all lore ended with Warcraft 3.