Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The 1-60 and new race/class combinations were my preferred part. I think the last patch basically put the Hemingway solution on the expansion. The Deathwing fight could have been so much more, but no, it was one of the easiest and most disappointing final boss fights I have ever ever seen in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloswin View Post
    Because of how awful DS was, I can understand a lot of the criticism Cata gets.
    However, the majority of the net loss of subs in Cataclysm occurred before DS released. So there was a lot more wrong than problems you had with tier 13.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    However, the majority of the net loss of subs in Cataclysm occurred before DS released. So there was a lot more wrong than problems you had with tier 13.
    The overly difficult 5 mans bled them a lot of subscribers. They dropped only blues and were harder than some of the normal raids, assuming you do both in relevant gears. I actually think DS got them some sub back due to LFR being such a loot pinata (I geared my alts to ilvl 380+ in like 2 resets as soon as they hit 85, if memory serves right). It just cost them people who were looking for creative raids and epic final boss of the expansion: it had neither (a lot could be said when Hagara is probably the most creative boss of the place)
    Last edited by david0925; 2013-04-30 at 04:12 PM.

For me it was too slow. Interesting things were few and far between, most of the time there was nothing to do and questing was too streamlined (other than being able to pick between Vashjir and Hyjal, everything was exactly the same one quest after another), DS was boring and lasted for waaay too long (also, imo, normal mode was way too easy when it was first released; HC was ok but normal was a faceroll at best).

Also, professions were horrible (random enchants on items, absolutely terrible weapon enchant animations).

Although redoing the world was needed, if they had spent those resources on 80-85 and endgame we would've had:

Larger raids
    Better storyline
    More balance
    More PVP stuff
    Larger zones with more to do
    Dailies/better rep gain
    Better endgame as a whole

But they even said they used more than half their resources on refurbishing Azeroth, so, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    The funny thing is that all these people who now shout that Cata was rubbish are the SAME people who during Cata were saying its awesome! lol
    You are mistaken. Stop spreading falsehoods.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Cataclysm did a lot of great things from a mechanical perspective and bringing WoW into the era it currently occupies, but a lot of the content therein just wasn't engaging.

BWD/BoT were a solid starting point, but nothing overwhelming. Firelands was horrendously boring outside of Heroic Rag in my opinion, partly skewed as a melee (and the whole expansion was rough for melee). Dragon Soul wasn't much better and suffered from being out for too long. Madness was ultimately not a very satisfying final encounter and Spine was an amazing concept boiled down to an incredibly unfun and boring fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Although redoing the world was needed, if they had spent those resources on 80-85 and endgame we would've had:

Larger raids
    Better storyline
    More balance
    More PVP stuff
    Larger zones with more to do
    Dailies/better rep gain
    Better endgame as a whole

But they even said they used more than half their resources on refurbishing Azeroth, so, yeah.
    Yep, I'm a Warcraft lore nerd (which is why I still read these boards occasionally, despite not being active ingame and not planning to unless given a very compelling reason) especially when it came to Dragons, which is why I was looking forward to that expansion at the time. It turned out to be the most terrible memory i had in WoW. I found myself a pretty tolerable person and shrugged off most people's complaint thinking they were alright. However, not even I can defend Dragon Soul. It was just an abomination.
    Last edited by david0925; 2013-04-30 at 04:20 PM.

Personally, I like going to new places, not exploring zones on continents I've been to tons of times. Is old world flying cool? Sure. But really, other than archaeology do you really spend that much time flying around old world content? The Cata revamp did nothing for me, I had a bunch of max level toons already and with BOA gear I outleveled the zones before I got to see all of the content even if I cared about seeing it. It just felt half-assed to me, especially since there wasn't one NEW zone to be in.

Also the raiding was boring and uninspired. Yes some of it was hard, that doesn't automatically equate to good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    Every poll and thread here where expansions are compared, Cata gets worst opinions or close to it.

Im really interested why ppl didnt like Cata.

For me, Cata wasnt best expansion (wotlk and tbc are), but still, I cant say it was bad. It had great 5-man heroics (loved DM prenerf), we got old world flying, rewamp of old world zones.
    Only bad thing were raids, DS in particular, maybe cos it lasted too long.

What do you think?
    This is common. During Wrath, BC sucked. During Cata, Wrath sucked. Now it's MoP, and Cata sucked. I have no serious beef with Cata. It was just OK. Ended on a good note for me. We shook hands politely as I installed MoP. Wrath I want to drown in battery acid and shoot multiple times, though.

As for the Deathwing fight, I never took it as my raid group defeating him. Thrall and the dragon aspects defeated him, my group was just there to make their job a little easier. It doesn't exactly make it more fun, but realistically that's more how a fight like that would go down. So from a role play perspective, it was interesting to not have the thought "The combined forces of the Horde, Alliance, and Argent Crusade (NPCs and lore-placed soldiers) can't get to and kill the Lich King. But you and 9 buddies can!"
    Last edited by zenyatta; 2013-04-30 at 04:28 PM.

If it is any consolation...WotLK got labelled as "the worst"
    I dunno, I still think Ulduar was the best raid ever with Sunwell being a close second. This is obviously limited to Cata and prior due to my having no experience in MoP

I don't worship Naxx60 as hard as a lot of people, so sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot123 View Post
    For me it was too slow. Interesting things were few and far between, most of the time there was nothing to do and questing was too streamlined (other than being able to pick between Vashjir and Hyjal, everything was exactly the same one quest after another), DS was boring and lasted for waaay too long (also, imo, normal mode was way too easy when it was first released; HC was ok but normal was a faceroll at best).

Also, professions were horrible (random enchants on items, absolutely terrible weapon enchant animations).
    All good points. Cataclysme also gave the last kill to "quirky" things inn wow. Everything got super streamlined.

And so agreed on DS normal being faceroll. My old guild that never even made good HC ragnaros Phase4 progress, cleared DS normal inn 5 days from release. Would have been 3-4, if it wasen't cause it bugged....silly raid, defiantly the worst ever made - And considering it was the end-raid off an exspansion to wrap up the story, its even worser. TOTC can't even compare. If a 3k world ranked guild clear's something so fast, whats the point...Pugs could clear it on release.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot123 View Post
    absolutely terrible weapon enchant animations).
    You didn't like Poopslide?

You didn't like Poopslide?
    Poopslide beat PURPLEORANGEPURPLEORANGEPURPLEORANGE by a mile. That enchant can go rot in some file labeled "Worst Visuals Ever".

10+ Year Old Account
    When people think back on something like that, they're more likely to remember the bad things than the good.

For me it was the pure length of DS with nothing new that made me quit and ruined the expansion for me. Add to that that Blizzard hadn't changed the loot system yet either so people who didn't need items were needing them purely to take them from other people or to vendor, etc, and the lack of community made it a bad expansion as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because to some people, the last expansion was the worst.

When it was BC, vanilla was terrible. When it was wotlk, BC was terrible. When it was Cataclysm, wotlk was terrible. So now it's MoP, and Cataclysm is terrible.

I think Mists of Pandaria is really the first expansion I've played that I don't feel great about.

But then again, I like to remember good things where other people seem to prefer to remember bad things. I don't have anything great to say about MoP, but I had plenty of criticism for the really annoying dailies last patch and the current state of PvP.

Which if you ask me, is the worst that it has ever been. Some people like to argue that it is better now because of all the different compositions, and while I can respect that in it's own light... Everyone being overpowered =! balance. That just means everyone needs a severe beating with the nerfbat.

I am kind of excited for 5.3, but I am definitely playing a different class in PvP, as the Warrior class has not been updated since Cataclysm launch.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2013-04-30 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    The funny thing is that all these people who now shout that Cata was rubbish are the SAME people who during Cata were saying its awesome! lol
    You are mistaken. Stop spreading falsehoods.
    What i mean is that during Cata it was defended vigourously by the Wow-fanboys and yet now Cata is over and we r in MoP these very same people r now admitting that Cata kinda sucked.

The same thing happened in Wrath... there wasnt many people who vocally bashed Wrath during Wrath but after Wrath it became cool to bash Wrath. Sure, there was a vocal minority who bashed Wrath but they really were a minority.

For example, there was a poll done on these forums for best and worse expansions and i seem to remember Wrath came second behind TBC.

Because they killed off 25 man raiding.

I think Cataclysm got a really bad rep due to lack of things to do at endgame. Bored people complain. Hence, MoP has so many things to do.

Personally, I enjoyed the things they did in Cataclysm. There just wasn't enough of it though.

What i mean is that during Cata it was defended vigourously by the Wow-fanboys
    Who would be defending Cata? Blizzard lost 25% of their players during cata. You dont need a poll for that. Thats a pure FACT. Losing 25% of your players means the expansion was horrible.