Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hi. You're not getting tri-spec because the WoW devs are gun-shy after the feedback from the ease of switching specs in Diablo 3. That's what they mean by 'character identity,' if that was actually confusing to people.

Doesn't matter to me either way. If they go to tri-speccing then it's like, sure, why not.

If they don't it's not like I'm changing between my dual specs a whole hell of a lot as it is.

So, whichever, I figure it's fine.

If we had tri spec, there wouldn't be a reason to have 2 versions of the same class I suppose? Everyone could switch between any spec at the click of a button.

Also, at the moment, at least 2 of your specs have to be mutually exclusive. If we get Tri spec, you wouldn't have to choose any spec over the others, you could be everything at once.

I know it is a nuanced point, but I think Blizzard is right it would make a big difference :P

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    Dual specs ? Why not tri-specs ? 3 specs ? why not 4 specs ? 4 specs ? why not 5 specs ? 5 specs ? why not 6 specs ? 6 specs ? why not 7 specs ?

This would happen.

so we have 7 specs.

who cares? whats it hurt? really, would not matter. you can only play one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindrasa View Post
    Aye. I've gotta say it seemed like a lazy discision, on my paladin i've managed to get gear for all three specs (Greed rolls in dungeons and random scenario loot) but i can only use my prot/ret spec gear due to me not being able to have a third spec.

I'd like to try holy out but not at the expense of my other specs and having to rebind all my spells when i switch back...
    Yep. Rebuilding your UI every time you change specs is a major pain. It's not terrible for my hunter - a lot of the peripheral abilities stay the same and the role stays the same, so it's just moving the new dps abilities and CDs into the spots occupied by similar abilities. But for my pally to go from prot/ret to prot/holy is a colossal nuisance. If I could have 3 specs, I could have 3 sets of bindings and healer raid frames set up and ready to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post
    so we have 7 specs.

who cares? whats it hurt? really, would not matter. you can only play one at a time.
    You might only play one at a time, but you will try to gear all 7 at the same time. Might as well removed the Greed button at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcor View Post
    Now, Normally I am one to defend Blizzard and their decisions on alot of things. The more fanatical of you might even call me a fanboy for not ripping Blizzards head off for everything they do. But GC's recent tweet as to why we are not getting tri-spec really bugged me for some reason.

He claims "uniqueness" is the reason we won't be getting Tri-Spec. And I can't help but feel irritated...After years of homogenizing classes and spreading multiple abilities out across 3-4 different classes (yay for heroism on 3 classes, probably 4 soon with Monks..I can see monks having hero) NOW he wants to pull the "unique" card?

Does that really irritate anyone else? Seems more like a cop-out than an official answer
    Completly agree. I am absolutly against Tri-Spec, but for him to pull the "homogenization" card is laughable at best and a crock of you know what at worst.
    For the night is dark and full of terrors

Don't you guys have selectable talents now instead of talent trees? That kinda makes dual spec pointless now and exclusively just for healers and tanks (more for tanks/dps quickswitch for one fight, I'd imagine). Whats the point of a DPS switching between 2 other DPS trees? Tri-spec would be completely worthless IMO. Maybe if Blizzard gave back the old (read: OLD, not the 31pt locked Cata trees) trees that allowed you to build a character, I could see tri-spec becoming an argument for concern.

With everything, Blizzard gives a little and the players want more.

Odd, usually people don't want tri-spec to happen, while today everyone wants it to happen. Whatever goes against Blizzard I suppose...

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have been with duel specs for a while now so not having a third does not bother me for now. Although...it would be nice to have my druid switch from resto to kitty to boomchicken lol.

Ghostcrawler is evil lol

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    Dual specs ? Why not tri-specs ? 3 specs ? why not 4 specs ? 4 specs ? why not 5 specs ? 5 specs ? why not 6 specs ? 6 specs ? why not 7 specs ?

This would happen.
    Giving us access to multiple specs would not hurt a single thing. The reason being is we already have access to all of our specs now. The only difference is we have to waste not only our time, but the time of others if we are doing an instance or PvP to go back to the vendor and respec and setup bars again. Sure there are addons, but some have issues with macros and such. I tried a couple in Cataclysm and none never really worked properly.

Giving us access to all of our specs to where we can click the tab and respec would save a lot of time and make things easier. To an extent would even help out with groups and such. For instance your in a heroic dungeon and healer left, you could pop over to your healing spec and fill in till he got there or you could port out, respec, get back in and then a new one has popped in.

I just really don't see how people think giving access to multiple specializations on the tab is a bad thing and forces people to choose when all they have to do is walk back over to the vendor. If anything it's limiting people in choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, the real value for PvP is the ability to have a unique barset and UI between the two, since spell usage varies a lot between the two. It's enormously frustrating and time consuming to have to manually swap all my action bars around so the right things are on the right keybinds depending on which activity I'm doing. Changing the actual glyphs and talents is trivial.

And, no, as far as I know there's no addon that can do this since the bars are saved server-side. New bartender profiles would just swap around the layout of the bars and not what keybind was actually where.
    Wouldn't you get the same effect if you binded on Action Bar 1 (Default 1-0 row) and change the binds on the row and then flip the page to Action Bar 2 and have the spells rearranged there/
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2013-05-01 at 06:15 PM.

Why do you all feel its necessary to have 3 specs? This isn't like the old days when you had to pay 50g to change between holy pvp and holy pve. Do you have time to play all three? Hell, how well can you play all three? Doesn't each spec take a little getting used to if you want to fully maximize it? Do you have the time to gear out three specs? Are you happy you can play all three rogue specs when undoubtedly one is sub-par - whether you do pvp OR pve?

Seriously....I play quite a bit and I have no desire for three specs. It's too much geared, too much money, too much time, and there's a learning curve every time to truly maximize your toon.

Having to choose makes people play and favor a specific spec. If you make Tri-spec you're going to get situations where you say, oh Mr. Hunter go survival this fight, go BM this fight, blah blah blah. It's hard to keep that stuff straight and there's something to be said for becoming familiar with a spec or two.

I personally think 3 is too many.

I just don't see people using it. Is WoW a fun game when you need to fully change specs and talents like every pull? I find this annoying. Sure you get better numbers on certain fights but come on....I don't see how this is "fun."
    Last edited by Psilar; 2013-05-01 at 06:25 PM.

Am i the only person who sets up my keybinds so that on any given character, it plays almost the same. For instance,

I have one keybind that is "execute"; another that is "random proc ability"; "defensive cooldown" 1,2,&3; Filler spell/attac; DOT 1, 2, & 3; Offensive Cooldown 1,2, 3; etc.

Everything else UI related is stored in profiles in my add-ons as heal, tank, dps.

Beyond that switching specs for me is easy peasy. My main is a druid, and I have a tank spec, and a which ever role I fancy at the moment spec. My warrior has a tank spec and a switch between arms and fury spec. I don't think we need it other than minor convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    It might sound silly... but I am more likely to win $100M in a lottery than Blizz is to implement a new looting system.
    Except it's not a new loot system. The loot system already exist in LFR and they've already mentioned they are thinking about moving it to dungeons as well. So you already lost.

As several people have mentioned, having tri-spec or more doesn't hurt the game in any way. In fact it HELPS the game. Take me for example, I have 489+ ilevel for balance, resto and tank. Now I've never bothered to set up my tank gear because it's too much of a hassle to redo my bars and talents etc so I never use it. But, if I had tri-spec I would set up my tank spec (I already carry all the gear with me). So now you ask, how would this help the game? Well, when I need to run heroics or LFR, I could queue for the one that gives me the satchel which means I'd be helping your queue times. As it is, I only queue LFR as a healer and hardly ever run dungeons at all. So giving tri-spec may actually help queue times which would help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcor View Post
    True, But there are different things you could do with 7 different specs.

For druids for instance...

PvE Bear
    PvP Bear
    PvE Resto
    PvP Resto
    PvP Kitty
    PvE Kitty
    PvE Boomy
    PvP Boomy

Now I don't avidly PvP...with good reason, It's a cancer I'd rather not touch. But that is just an example
    really though you dont need all those diffrent specs. Druids being the odd ball out in this but tri spec esentialy means you would never need to see a trainer again ever.

say your a pure class like a warlock and you have tri spec. All you do now is switch spec and change talents, 1 minute max and now you can be affliction/demo/destro PVE or PVP without ever seeing a trainer and you have your entire classes toolkit at your disposal at any time. Hell your PVE/PVP gear doesn't even change. Your on a raid boss fight that's high mobility switch to affliction, are you trying to solo something switch to demo and get a better pet to tank for you, do you want to do daily's and just burst down some targets? switch to destro.

What GC is trying to say is if you have your full toolkit available like that the whole concept of a spec looses meaning. You may as well give pure classes just 1 spec that has everything. The only way to really make those classes unique would be to give them tank and heal specs so that every class could do every roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini View Post
    I'm usually a fire/frost mage, but I can spec either of them into Arcane and be ready to raid on it in about 1 minute using Action Bar Saver to re-do all of my bars instantly and manually changing my talents and glyphs (only because Blizzard won't let addons do this yet). And before anyone says "but you're a mage your specs all do the same thing!", I also do this on my druid between all 4 specs. Reforging and regemming (if necessary) can also be accomplished quickly using addons and item sets already allow you to manage multiple sets of gear.

There's really not much of a time barrier for a player to respec to their unused talent sets, you can easily collect gear for all of your specs and re-spec in a matter of a couple minutes if you want. The only reason Blizzard would refuse to allow you to just pick any of your class's talent sets (4 for druids, 3 for everyone else) is for developer manpower (i.e. it will take too long to code) or for storage (they don't want to store another set of talents/glyphs/action bars for every toon in existence).

People will still continue to collect "main spec", "off spec" and "I'll probably never use this but my class CAN wear it" gear, just as before. Obviously class unique-ness isn't a factor at all here, and GC's post about rogues was probably sarcastic.
    GC was not being sarcastic. In a situation where anyone can be anything. Every rogue will be the "right" spec for each boss. Currently, some people like this or some people like that even it's not optimal.

You all need to realize that this is Casual WoW now. The last thing new players need is to be innundated with re-speccing. It's hard enough getting a new player to learn one spec well let alone 2 or 3.

Tri-spec will not happen until class/spec balance is nearly perfect - which it will never be. So /thread

i think the real reason is we just simply wouldn't have enough bag space for gear. two cents given.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    really though you dont need all those diffrent specs. Druids being the odd ball out in this but tri spec esentialy means you would never need to see a trainer again ever.

say your a pure class like a warlock and you have tri spec. All you do now is switch spec and change talents, 1 minute max and now you can be affliction/demo/destro PVE or PVP without ever seeing a trainer and you have your entire classes toolkit at your disposal at any time. Hell your PVE/PVP gear doesn't even change. Your on a raid boss fight that's high mobility switch to affliction, are you trying to solo something switch to demo and get a better pet to tank for you, do you want to do daily's and just burst down some targets? switch to destro.

What GC is trying to say is if you have your full toolkit available like that the whole concept of a spec looses meaning. You may as well give pure classes just 1 spec that has everything. The only way to really make those classes unique would be to give them tank and heal specs so that every class could do every roll.
    YES! Someone who gets it!

Quote Originally Posted by Users View Post
    The max we would need is 3. I don't know why people are saying, "well then people are gonna want 4 or 5." Thats just dumb.
    For the longest time, 4 would have been ideal for my druid. Bear, Kitty, PVE Tree, PVP tree. Instead, I just was bear and PVP tree for raiding. Really, they should never have given use dual-spec to begin with. I'd be fine with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It ends by just giving everyone access to all their specs, and letting them customize their build for whatever content they are playing by changing talents and glyphs. They can be swapped in a matter of seconds for a trivial amount of mats.
    Then they should just drop specs all together. Why have multiples if you don't have to choose between them in any meaningful way? Just do away with specs entirely, throw all the class talents into one big pool available to the whole class, and let everyone devise their own builds.

Except then some of the player base will start crying about how they need dual class. Classes would become the new "specs" and the problem would grow anew.

Or they could just roll an alt if they want to play every option available, like reasonable people.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus