Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    WoW is dead, of course, as always?

On a serious note, probably a stable amount of subs, perhaps a minor loss

10+ Year Old Account
    I called it 10 pages back that these threads only turn into bickerfests. "My answers are the right ones and you need to L2Read!" "No, MY answers are the right one and you are just trying to derail the thread." I said the info on the Q1 call is pure speculation and would only start a fight... and I was right.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I called it 10 pages back that these threads only turn into bickerfests. "My answers are the right ones and you need to L2Read!" "No, MY answers are the right one and you are just trying to derail the thread." I said the info on the Q1 call is pure speculation and would only start a fight... and I was right.
    It's humorous that you are criticizing the thread as bickering on who is right and/or wrong, which leads to derailing the thred then close by saying you were right, which is just derailing the thread.

Bathe in the irony. It's glorious!
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's humorous that you are criticizing the thread as bickering on who is right and/or wrong, which leads to derailing the thred then close by saying you were right, which is just derailing the thread.

Bathe in the irony. It's glorious!
    The thread was already derailing before I even commented. People are adding their own facts to explanatory. Everyone who doesn't agree with them is "wrong" and those who do, need to agree to precisely what was said as their version is the most "accurate". People are telling others to learn to read, or go back to school, or yank their heads out.

This is not a derail. This is an I told you so at the end of an already derailing thread. No irony to be found when you stop and think about it.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is not a derail. This is an I told you so.
    Just reread these words until it sinks in. I guess perspective is hard when you live in a fortress of solitude. *shrug*
    BAD WOLF

I see we are going to do this useless dance again....

We get the usual suspects who beg the heavens for blizzard to come to a complete financial collapse because Blizzard changed something and they reacted badly to it and apparently telling everyone they were quitting on a forum didn't convince anyone else to quit like they thought it would.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what the numbers say because WoW is still blowing the competition down handedly even if its is an old game with a slowly decreasing population. If it were to loose half its population over night its still better off by leaps and bounds than any other mmo out there.

If you hate wow so much then you need a healhier hobby than going onto the forums for a game that you don't play anymore and doomsaying it, its not healthy to spend your life screaming about something you supposedly quit. Move along and find something that actually makes you happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Just reread these words until it sinks in. I guess perspective is hard when you live in a fortress of solitude. *shrug*
    Have a nice day.

As to the topic at hand: The call will show the game still has a very large carbon footprint compared to others in its category and that Subs are still up over 8M making it the continuing dominating force in MMOs today.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I see we are going to do this useless dance again....

We get the usual suspects who beg the heavens for blizzard to come to a complete financial collapse because Blizzard changed something and they reacted badly to it and apparently telling everyone they were quitting on a forum didn't convince anyone else to quit like they thought it would.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what the numbers say because WoW is still blowing the competition down handedly even if its is an old game with a slowly decreasing population. If it were to loose half its population over night its still better off by leaps and bounds than any other mmo out there.

If you hate wow so much then you need a healhier hobby than going onto the forums for a game that you don't play anymore and doomsaying it, its not healthy to spend your life screaming about something you supposedly quit. Move along and find something that actually makes you happy.
    No one is begging for Blizzard's financial collapse.

I am not sure how come to the conclusion that talking about WOW's sub numbers means that you must hate the game. If you are that invested in a product that you think that discussing anything that does show it in a positive light means that someone must not only not play any more but they hate it then maybe you should follow your own advice and find a healthier hobby.

The thread was already derailing before I even commented. People are adding their own facts to explanatory. Everyone who doesn't agree with them is "wrong" and those who do, need to agree to precisely what was said as their version is the most "accurate". People are telling others to learn to read, or go back to school, or yank their heads out.

This is not a derail. This is an I told you so at the end of an already derailing thread. No irony to be found when you stop and think about it.
    Have you noticed that it is pro Blizzard people that seem determined to derail this thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Have you noticed that it is pro Blizzard people that seem determined to derail this thread?
    This is usually how the fight goes. Pro Blizz Support vs. The Doomsday Chicken Littles. One side advocates this is just a game and it is doing great. The other side is bound and determined to have the honor of driving the last nail into the proverbial WoW Coffin. Most people fail to enjoy the game when they focus on things outside of the game. I would likely hate my homestate a lot more if I really dug deep into all of the crap they have to contend with and the choices they have to make on a daily basis. WoW for me is just a hobby, and I don't want to ruin my hobby by focusing on the business aspects and the negativity. So I am neither for Blizz, nor against them. I'm just a guy playing a game much the same way I have for years.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I still like WoW
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

This is usually how the fight goes. Pro Blizz Support vs. The Doomsday Chicken Littles. One side advocates this is just a game and it is doing great. The other side is bound and determined to have the honor of driving the last nail into the proverbial WoW Coffin. Most people fail to enjoy the game when they focus on things outside of the game. I would likely hate my homestate a lot more if I really dug deep into all of the crap they have to contend with and the choices they have to make on a daily basis. WoW for me is just a hobby, and I don't want to ruin my hobby by focusing on the business aspects and the negativity. So I am neither for Blizz, nor against them. I'm just a guy playing a game much the same way I have for years.
    Despite the claims no-one had been prophesying the doom of WOW or Blizzard in this thread. Rather than derailing the thread then proclaiming I told you so why not either contribute or steer clear of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite the claims no-one had been prophesying the doom of WOW or Blizzard in this thread. Rather than derailing the thread then proclaiming I told you so why not either contribute or steer clear of it?
    Well then... allow me to steer clear of it. I leave you to your thread and all of its speculations.

Stating that the mmorpg industry changed from being a subscription based one to a free to play industry HAS an impact on WoW subscriptions.

As such it CONTRIBUTES to the thread.

It is odd to think that a changing industry to free to play as standard would not have had an impact on WoW subscriptions.

But go on, you amuse me. Because the mmo market changed from 16 million subs of which WoW had 11.5 ... to 11 miilion of which WoW has 9+ million...

I don't see the derail by giving the changed situation in which WoW has to OPERATE to obtain those subs ...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-05-02 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Stating that the mmorpg industry changed from being a subscription based one to a free to play industry HAS an impact on WoW subscriptions.

As such it CONTIBUTES to the thread.

It is odd to think that a changing industry to free to play as standard would not have had an impact on WoW subscriptions.

But go on, you amuse me. Because the mmo market changed from 16 million subs of which WoW had 11.5 ... to 11 miilion of which WoW has 9+ million...

I don't see the derail by giving the changed situation in which WoW has to OPERATE to obtain those subs ...
    All of which has nothing to do with the topic that was being discussed before you starting derailing the thread.

Oh and where is the supposedly easy to find information about the income that WOW generates? You said it was easy to find but you have yet to provide us with a source.

Oh and where is the supposedly easy to find information about the income that WOW generates? You said it was easy to find but you have yet to provide us with a source.
    Grab calculator, press some buttons.

Income = a shitload, just from subs alone. Speculation would require hard numbers on how much they bring in due to transfers, name changes, race changes, pet sales, merch sales, etc.

It's fairly mind blowing that anyone in this company could ever say "we don't have the manpower to do _____" with a straight face.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Checking my old realm using that...there's more level 90 Blood Elves than there are level 90 Alliance....*sadface*

As to the prediction - worst case scenario, 600k loss, mostly in the Asian market. More likely either stable or a minor 100k drop across all markets.
    They've been having trouble keeping up since MoP, they're not a reliable source IMO anymore.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I think subs may take a 600k dip in asia

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Grab calculator, press some buttons.

Income = a shitload, just from subs alone. Speculation would require hard numbers on how much they bring in due to transfers, name changes, race changes, pet sales, merch sales, etc.

It's fairly mind blowing that anyone in this company could ever say "we don't have the manpower to do _____" with a straight face.
    The income is a lot, but it is nowhere near the billions when you take into account that Chinese don't pay a normal subscription, and pay far less a month than EU and US does. Even if 10 million people payed their 15 dollars a month you still only get 600 million per quarter, which is probably vastly overstated. They make a lot, sure. But basic math alone proves that making over a billion off WoW per quarter is almost completely unreasonable. (also remember it will be less as well due to discounts for paying multiple months and so on)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

As such it CONTRIBUTES to the thread.

Free to play games can compete with WoW because WoW is so old.

I think Wow will continue to decline at the same rate - 4 sub/min. I.e. loss of one sub every 15 sec = 500k subs loss per quarter. This Q1 call is very meanfull, cuz it will be the turning point: will this game continue becoming asian-grind-pokemon-style game or we will have a hope, it will turn to it's normal direction, as this happened in Cata.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club