Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] Hemlock Grove

Anyone given this a shot? It's one of the Netflix originals and since I was rather impressed with House of Cards and I'm a big fan of Eli Roth (I like to pretend he didn't do that garbage known as Hostel) I checked it out. Almost done and although the reviews were rather leaning towards a pass I'd suggest checking it out. Some of the acting is top notch, though this is offset by some of the more terrible actors; luckily a few of them get less air time as the series goes on.

Famke Janssen!!! Must. Watch. Now.

I love Eli Roth and rather liked Hostel, I've been awaiting feedback from two friends who just started to watch it and got the thumbs up. I'll probably resub to Netflix and get in on it within the month.

First couple of episodes were too boring for me to continue.

Technically, I think it's pretty good with good photography, editing and so on. Effects (like that transformation scene) are gruesome and well made. Acting is uh.. well, they tried. Maybe there's just too many supernatural series going on now.

I've only seen like 3-4 episodes but I'm half expecting Laura Palmer and Agent Cooper to make a cameo appearance soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supahfraai View Post
    I've only seen like 3-4 episodes but I'm half expecting Laura Palmer and Agent Cooper to make a cameo appearance soon.
    Ya, got too Twin Peakish for me a few episodes in. They had some weird shit they just let go and did not bother to explain. I saw the first few episodes and called it off. I just do not like any characters and it is trying too hard to be weird for the sake of weird.

Definitely not House of Cards caliber.
    I like sandwiches

It wasn't as good as House of Cards, but I really enjoyed the show; but I'm a fan of having unanswered questions that nearly last the entire season.

Deleted
    the show is awesome,i dont get why people dont like it,its so interesting and you just love the characters...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assumed it would be a trashy take on the supernatural, exploiting sex to garner attention and being weird for the sake of weird... Just like almost every other show that can get away with the same thing. I'm looking at you True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Assumptions met to a tee. Could have been a good premise otherwise. Oh well, at least Arrested Development is coming back.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Assumed it would be a trashy take on the supernatural, exploiting sex to garner attention and being weird for the sake of weird... Just like almost every other show that can get away with the same thing. I'm looking at you True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Assumptions met to a tee. Could have been a good premise otherwise. Oh well, at least Arrested Development is coming back.
    Not sure how Game of Thrones fits in with what you described...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Not sure how Game of Thrones fits in with what you described...
    Oh idk...adding ridiculous sex scenes that aren't in the books on top of very weird changes for the sake of more controversial/sensational TV. You must have never read the books if you don't see how that happens in every single episode.
    BAD WOLF

Oh idk...adding ridiculous sex scenes that aren't in the books on top of very weird changes for the sake of more controversial/sensational TV. You must have never read the books if you don't see how that happens in every single episode.
    I've read the books and there are tons of sex scenes in them. They might not be described in as much detail as we see on TV but they're there.

I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and actually watch the show yet, but my mom showed me the werewolf transformation scene and it's one of the most creative takes on a transformation I've ever seen! Very cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I've read the books and there are tons of sex scenes in them. They might not be described in as much detail as we see on TV but they're there.
    No, there aren't 'tons'. There aren't enough to fill every episode with one. Also, they are actually a part of the narrative and not just thrown into someone's random monologue.

You can even read reviews of the latest episode where they are thankful to finally have a sex scene that really happened. It's not the presence of them, it's the obvious pandering to try and garner a larger audience.
    BAD WOLF

The book give a detailed description of how Tyrion ejaculates inside of a whore, so uh...yeah the show isn't too far-fetched.

I just finished watching it, all 13 episodes in more or less 2days (2 nights). I'm blown away by the acting, the story itself is a bit cheesy but the acting and twists (not having read the book) gave me chills down the spine on several times and the very final scene I must admit that I teared up. For what the series is about, horror/scifi/drama and such I can't find many flaws, in some cases I'd wish for the pace of the action to be higher but the suspense of not knowing who (and what) some of the "fantasy" elements in the series makes it a home-run for me. I hope the series continue, haven't been this excited about a series of 1 season since Fringe, Firefly and Invasion.

Give it a shot, don't expect a fast pace dramatic "boomboom powpow" thriller. This one is for the curious people who think as fast as the show goes. If you like to think ahead of the show and get surprised this is something for you, I was taken in on the story instead of being in the "passenger seat" which is a great thing for me.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Ive read Game a Thrones and if anything the books are more graphic then the show. Cant say that about Hemlock Grove though I have only seen the show. On topic though I thought the series started out horribly slow, I almost stopped watching after the second episode but after that things picked up and I really enjoyed the series and cant wait till the next season, hoping Netflix makes it.

NECRO since season 2 just came out and I did a search without finding a newer thread, so please don't ban me again... or you can, free internets and all.

I watched the first 3ish episodes and it didn't really stick with me, but then Eli Roth was retweeting the shit out of comments when Season 2 came out, that I decided to give it another go. Went through the rest of season 1 and finished season 2 last night. I was fairly on board and pretty ok with the underpowered Vampire/werewolf versions, cute enough chicks, decent enough drama, loved the gore factor. It had me up until That flying doctor beast at the end if the S2 finale, like wtf lol.

I'll watch S3, if there is one, but i'll be a bit skeptical.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Watched the first season, not going to bother with the second. The concept is decent enough, and the story works. But for me, the whole package doesn't work. Shelly is a very annoying character that adds nothing to the plot for 99% of the season, except being there and making annoying sounds. I absolutely HATED their take on Werewolves. I mean, shedding your human skin to reveal an actual wolf, really? Not some big badass wolf/man monster, but a fucking tiny regular wolf.

Even with the many faults, the show could have been something it if it had good actors to carry it, but it simply doesn't. Peter and Roman, the two main characters, both make Channing Tatum look like the best actor in the world. Take a moment to reflect upon that... The most memorable part of the entire series was how hot Letha was, so she obviously had to be killed off before season two!
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Shelly is a very annoying character that adds nothing to the plot for 99% of the season, except being there and making annoying sounds.

Peter and Roman, the two main characters, both make Channing Tatum look like the best actor in the world. Take a moment to reflect upon that... The most memorable part of the entire series was how hot Letha was, so she obviously had to be killed off before season two!
    1. Shelley is played by Madeleine Martin in season 2, who was the most annoying person/character EVER in Californication (Becca, the daughter) and she plays Shelley the exact same way (yeah, Shelley talks now).

2. Roman is a Skarsgard, but my buddy and I call him Mccully Eric lol cuz he looks/acts like his brother Alex (Eric in True Blood) and Maculley Calken had a love child. It's a little distracting and no, not a good actor at all.

3. Letha is/was sex. Even while being "pregnant", one of the hottest little things, up there with Lili Simmons from Banshee.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.