Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Synapse Springs is as good as any other profession enchant. Better depending on how much burst you can put out in that time.
    Speed Boosts that kill you as often as they save you.
    Goblin Glider because why not?

Jeeves and portable mailbox are just the icing on the cake.

And you can make pets. Who doesn't like pets?

As has already been said, Synapse Springs being stackable with cooldowns and proc trinkets (Not on-use, it cannot be stacked with on-use trinkets) makes it far and beyond better then any 320 static stat, reguardless of the math behind it being 320 over 60 seconds, doesn't matter.

Synapse Springs alone is better for pretty much every class (Frost DK's just have it really good with Pillar of Frost) but all the other toys make it way more fun to have on your main character, I litterally could not live without engineering, even on my alts that I don't have it on I think to myself, "Man, I'm in combat and I really don't wanna fight this thing that's chasing me its a waste of my time, Goblin Glider sure would be useful to jump off of this cliff and fly like the world is mine."

I didnt mention it in my last post, but tailoring has the biggest bonus for spellcasters. Lightweave emboidery has a 1 min icd, and runs for 15 secs for 2000 extra intellect. So that nets a 500 intellect bonus. This does not make tailoring always the best choice. For one, you can not control the proc, so it can proc when you to to focus on something else then a burn phase. It can also proc during a phase you can not hit any bosses for example. So, although tailoring and engineering look nice (best proc and strong on use for clever players), static stats often provide the highest average dps.
    This has nothing to do with a uncontrollable buff, spin your logic another way, a controllable buff and a random proc, do not belong in the same discussion as its much different.

Synapse Springs is useable during every CD, every time for most classes as long as the CD hits the minute, two, three ect mark, this simple fact makes it much better then any kind of static stat.
    Last edited by Mahoraba; 2013-05-02 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    Thats not true, Engineering gives 1920 main stats for 10 seconds per minute (1920/6=320). Other profs give 320 static stats, so, unless you have a fight with a heavy burn phase, engineering will always be behind, because only 0.001% of raiders will use this exactly when it runs of cd.

I didnt mention it in my last post, but tailoring has the biggest bonus for spellcasters. Lightweave emboidery has a 1 min icd, and runs for 15 secs for 2000 extra intellect. So that nets a 500 intellect bonus. This does not make tailoring always the best choice. For one, you can not control the proc, so it can proc when you to to focus on something else then a burn phase. It can also proc during a phase you can not hit any bosses for example. So, although tailoring and engineering look nice (best proc and strong on use for clever players), static stats often provide the highest average dps.
    Especially worse with a dotheavy spec, where you bind it to your strongest DoT
    /shrug

Deleted
    There is only two situations where engineering isnt superior to other professions:
    1.You have on use trinket (althought there arent any on this tier at least for casters)
    2.Secondary stats are superior for your class/spec and you trust the RNG of tailoring proc and handle it accordingly. On this case you should have Blacksmith and Tailoring.

On worst case scenario you would just macro synapse springs with every dps skill you use and fight would last exactly 1,2,3... minutes. In this case it is 1920 * (10/60) = 320 main stat, same as most of the professions.

However on very good scenario fight would last 4 mins 10 sec (10 sec would be best case scenario but that isnt really realistic time frame for raid boss), you use it with bloodlust + all your dps cooldowns + trinket procs, and every minute after that while stacking it with dps cooldowns with cd of 1,2,3... minutes. On many bosses there is situations where you dont have anything to dps for some time, engineering benefits from this as well. Mages get even greater benefit because of Alter Time. Even if you dont take any cooldown stacking or dps breaks into calculation, mages get average 1920 * (62/250) = 476 main stat and other classes 1920 * (50/250) = 384 main stat on very good scenario.

And yes you also get (unreliable) rocket boots, goblin glider, jeeves and other usefull perks.

I didnt mention it in my last post, but tailoring has the biggest bonus for spellcasters. Lightweave emboidery has a 1 min icd, and runs for 15 secs for 2000 extra intellect. So that nets a 500 intellect bonus.
    Tailor enchant replaces the usual +180 int enchant, and therefore gives you +320 on par with all other professions.

What makes Engineering superior is, in my opinion, the Frag Belt grenade. 30k damage (can crit) every minute equals 500 dps boost on single target. This number can skyrocket on AoE fights.
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

Deleted
    The rocket boosts are an insanely good (to some classes), not even considering other benefits.

Yes big time expensive though..

Deleted
    Synapse springs rock. Having an AH / bank right next to it in Shrine rocks. Goblin Gliders double rock. Having repair bots, portable mail boxes and all the other assorted gubbins is just gravy on the delicious roast that is engineering.

Word of warning about nitro boosters though - if you start proper raiding, and by that I mean heroic mode raiding, the risk from nitro boosts often far outweighs the reward. The times when you absolutely need to move are frequently times when there is heavy raid damage going out. A good example is the first heroic boss of ToT, Jinrokh - if they explode during a lightning storm you are royally dead. If you use them t quickly get out of the raid for ionisation dispels and they blow you are going to make your healers apoplectic with rage, and if you use them with an orb fixating you and they explode you can bet that will be the time the boss chooses to cast static burst - more dead.

Wiping because someone's nitros blew is very, very annoying.

Another thing people are not mentioning either is that everytime your not attacking something for whatever reason, examples this tier include but are not limited to - Horridon HC add, Tortos AoE stun (2 secs), Meagera downtime (Head switching), Flying on Ji-kun, stun on Durumu, Stun on Iron Qon, Lei Shen transitions.

Now the reason is that having 10 seconds of uptime on the engineering is equal to 60 seconds of uptime of any other profession with constant 320 stats, meaning that any downtime using non-engineering bonuses results in lost damage, of course the same effect is there for engineering if you get it off CD 4-5 seconds before a head dies on Megaera, or you use it and get stunned by some mechanic, the effect will be more severe, but aslong as it is just downtime and not a stun (or an unpredictable stun atleast) Engineering will pull ahead ontop of the other bonuses listed above.

Also as far as nitro boost is concerned, some classes like DK's can use AMS on it, pretty much negating it, or on a fight like Ji-Kun, damage is very light and you can use it if you're in a bad spot on the downdraft, Lei Shen if can be used to catch a voidzone far away if something went wrong, and possibly on Helm of Command or whatever it is called if you have no other option.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    If you can macro it to a 1min (or 2 min) CD such as Stay of Exec or Pillar of Frost, it is a great boost
    Hell, I Macro Berserk/Springs/Tiger's Fury, and Springs/Tiger's Fury on my Feral (well, TF/Zerk/Springs, technically, but yeah).

Glider is damn fun on Isle now; oh, just downed Mumta, and now a boss is up on the other side of the island? GLIDER

Also, two words regarding Rocket Boots: ROCKET BEAR

Deleted
    It's lolz for WW. Rune of Reorigination proc. Then just as it's about to end 10 stack tigereye brew + Synapse springs + agi pot. BOOM

love it for my WW. Synapse springs with tigereye brew is awesome

Deleted
    I just swapped alchemy for engi, it's amazing so far, Synapse Springs add a lot to my starting rotation (bm hunter).

And the Goblin Glider is the single best thing in wow right now.

Engineering is incredible. Between the glider and the rocket belt, you can gain all kinds of extra ground in a variety of otherwise un-savable situations. Of course, there's always the chance that you'll start on fire and burn to death, but more often than not I gain from being an engineer.

I think the biggest thing you can do is be a class that has a good grip on dealing with the consequences of backfires, like a paladin. Our guild has many engineers and very rarely does it result in disaster, but quite frequently does it provide amazing and amusing results.

10+ Year Old Account
    the springs and nitro boosts is amazing (and the chance of backfire on the boosts is fun )

Nitro explosion debuff (from nitro boots) can be removed by cloak-of-shadows for example.

I always use SS on my rouge, when i was raiding hc ss was amazing on burst, it depends from content but i strongly recommend engi for pve
    Now i have break from raiding but still i think its good profession if you know how to use it + you can do mounts !

but it can be a slight disadvantage on fights where you need to sacrifice a gcd every one minute for synapse springs. Nitro boost can be a life saver sometimes.
    Engi gloves/belt aren't on the GCD and are the highest damage increase you can get through proffs.

you need to sacrifice a gcd every one minute for synapse springs.
    synapse springs is not on the gcd.

also no one has mentioned the Frag Belt

do they still have those random chances of fucking up?

That's the only drawback to engineering imo
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Barky View Post
    do they still have those random chances of fucking up?

That's the only drawback to engineering imo
    They do, but it's not that big of a deal IMHO.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno