Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    Since when did tanks die and wipe the group? Never seen this happen
    I....wat?

If you're tanking, and dying, and [likely] thereby wiping the raid due to the boss/adds/whatever going HAM on your DPS/heals, you have a problem. Likely an EBKAC issue.

Now, this tier/expansion especially, tank deaths from melee/phsyical dmg are few and far between. Especially as a prot paladin with a modicum of skill, and ESPECIALLY in 10man. But my point was that if the player who can't decide on which meta to take is having survival issues, he should take the tank meta to help himself/his raid. If, like most of us, he is not having problems staying alive, then the DPS meta will have a better ROI for him.

Not sure what was confusing about that, unless you were just trolling or trying to be funny and I missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Dunno Nairobi. Agree with Rawhammer.

Those few occations that I actaully died, my ghost iron dragonling picks up the aggro and tanks the boss for the rest of the fight. Even if tank dies it is not really an issue. If for some reason ghost iron dragonling is not up, a hunter pet can always growl. Haven't seen a tank death wipe the raid so far in this game.

Also, teracota trinket!

Feels like I'm taking crazy pills...
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Maybe you are?

Just to clarify, you guys are trolling, right?

Like, I had a death on HC Council this week cause my co-tank taunted Sul instead of Malakk, causing me to get frozen, followed up with melee/frigid assault, sand bolts (cause stunned = no interrupt) and Twisted Fates going off. Got a BRez but the monk then died and it went downhill from there. Granted, neither meta would have saved me there, but it ended up being a wipe due to my death via miscommunication/error.

Or, 1-tanking HC Durumu. Healer had the red beam, I ended up getting whittled down. Lost a DPS or 2 while getting the BR, wipe.

You guys are saying tank deaths don't cause wipes?

edit: also - 500
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Just to clarify, you guys are trolling, right?
    I don't know. Maybe we are jin'rokhing you, maybe we are not. All I know is that the powers of the spectral dragon made of iron should not be underestimated.

I thought it was just a normal dragon, made of spectral iron...grammatically, anyway.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    I thought it was just a normal dragon, made of spectral iron...grammatically, anyway.
    normal dragon
    normal dragon
    normal dragon
    Say whaaaaaat?

THIS...
    IS...
    GID...

Deleted
    LOVELY! That is what I am talking about!

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether it is a spectral dragonling made of iron, or a dragonling made of spectral iron, or the essence of ghost iron taking dragonling form, the thread is about helping people with their tanking. Let's try to stay on topic, please.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

2% wipe on HC Durumu last night, and it was partly (VERY partly) my fault. Been trying to get the best cooldown and stack-clear rotation figured out, and here is what I've tried:

Swapped HoPur out for UbS: The DOT is rarely ever that damaging (60k bleed/sec versus 300k melees/400k stares), and it mitigated by [glyphed] DivProt and ShotR anyway. Seemed to help a bit. This also gave me an extra clear with 2.5 min bubbles to use each phase (so I have a BoP to fall back on). Also running HA for this, so that I can build up a nice buffer at the start, and coming out of every maze phase, to allow healers time to get position etc.

Usually run the stack up to 6, which coincides with the light spectrum (round 1) and spectrum/walls/drains (round 2+). At that point, I make a judgement call and either GoAK, bubble, or both and solo take a beam, depending on the level of cluster-fuck currently going on. This ends up with me getting 5 stacks going into the maze, which fall off. I've run it up to 7-8 stacks before, just to make the second half of the phase easier, but it seems a bit risky.

What caused my issue was that on that attempt, I cleared stacks at 5 instead of 6, meaning that I had 6 going into the maze. Somehow, during the second maze phase, my stacks did nto drop. So coming out of the phase I got a refresh and was instantly at 7 (instead of 1). So I instictively cleared then, which threw off my whole "rotation" for the phase, cause Forb which fawked up any catch-up later, and eventually led to me getting whittled down after some DPS called to "burn boss" during the beam phase instead of just finishing the fight properly, causing my beam stacks to get way too high and lifedrain to not be handled well.

And that was our last (good) attempt. FML.

Any suggestions or nuggets of wisdom for when we go back tonight? If I reset at 5 stacks instead of 6, will I always get a 7th coming out of the maze? I had never seen that happen before...I THINK if I can stick to 6stack+ resets, proper timing of GoAK/AM to soak beams, and some good RNG on who gets Red (some people just CANNOT do it...) it should be an easy kill. Just frustrating to wipe, esp so close. SS uptime in the ~94-96% across the night, and ShotR uptime ~54-58% across the night (with HA). Should I maybe try DP (ewww)?

Edit: Logs from last night - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-00...=11052&e=11561
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    I've had a similar occurence (on normal mode) with the stacks refreshing after the 2nd maze but not after the first. It seems to be a new thing since they changed the maze and he started melee attacking sooner before the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Animma View Post
    I've had a similar occurence (on normal mode) with the stacks refreshing after the 2nd maze but not after the first. It seems to be a new thing since they changed the maze and he started melee attacking sooner before the end of it.
    This. I don't think it makes a difference if you're going in with 6 or 7 (since it refreshes to max duration)

Any suggestions or nuggets of wisdom for when we go back tonight? If I reset at 5 stacks instead of 6, will I always get a 7th coming out of the maze? I had never seen that happen before...I THINK if I can stick to 6stack+ resets, proper timing of GoAK/AM to soak beams, and some good RNG on who gets Red (some people just CANNOT do it...) it should be an easy kill. Just frustrating to wipe, esp so close. SS uptime in the ~94-96% across the night, and ShotR uptime ~54-58% across the night (with HA). Should I maybe try DP (ewww)?
    Reset during maze it's just random. You can see if it's gonna reset or not depending on debuff timer when beam is cast. If you're not the only paladin in raid it's trivial to solve, just use HoP during that phase when debuff won't reset. Otherwise I guess you can try having someone with a taunt eat the cast when going out of maze.

Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    Reset during maze it's just random. You can see if it's gonna reset or not depending on debuff timer when beam is cast. If you're not the only paladin in raid it's trivial to solve, just use HoP during that phase when debuff won't reset. Otherwise I guess you can try having someone with a taunt eat the cast when going out of maze.
    Or (if you don't have other dps with taunt), find 2nd person on threat, get em to pop defensive CD's + salv yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    Yeah only paladin, but have a WW and DK as options.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Or (if you don't have other dps with taunt), find 2nd person on threat, get em to pop defensive CD's + salv yourself.
    Only concern I have with that is if the WW pops TOK or DK uses IBF, that cuts into our CD-rotation for handling life-drains. Although, I think WW can glyph for 100% parry while FoF'ing, so I suppose that could be a backup plan. He's my co-tank and usually BrM, so I'm quite comfortable with having him do that if needed.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but I would assume that Durumu functions as almost any stationary boss does, which would allow you to have all players exit melee range while leaving a pet in. The pet will eat the hard stare and then the tank can move back in.

I haven't actually tested this on Durumu, but I'd imagine we've all seen what I am referring to on Ji'Kun after a Down Draft.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but I would assume that Durumu functions as almost any stationary boss does, which would allow you to have all players exit melee range while leaving a pet in. The pet will eat the hard stare and then the tank can move back in.

I haven't actually tested this on Durumu, but I'd imagine we've all seen what I am referring to on Ji'Kun after a Down Draft.

So, you're saying this is a job for Ghost Iron Dragonling?
    20k and counting...

So, you're saying this is a job for Ghost Iron Dragonling?
    *siiiiigh*

Yes, that would probably work :P
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu