Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mods: Propose to have homophobia word actionable

The words "homophobia, homophobe, etc" are highly misused words and are used like they have the same negative connotations as the words "stupid, idiot, retard" (all actionable).

Dumb is a perfect example of the same thing. Dumb just means a person is mute, but is highly misused today to mean something completely different.

Homophobia means a person is deathly afraid of homosexuality, but today is used by ignorant people to be a demeaning term just because a person disagrees.

I submit you make using the following words actionable just as any other insult, as they contribute nothing to the forums, incite arguments, and disrupt normal forum activity:
    -Homophobe
    -Homophobic
    -Homophobia

*Edit:
    Please read: I will not continue to entertain trolls trying to derail the thread with willful ignorance and nonsense. A mod has specifically said not to try to derail this thread into a word meaning debate. I will report anyone derailing or trolling the thread.
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2013-05-04 at 05:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

Mod requests are usually to be sent privately to Sunshine.

[Edit] There's also a suggestions forum.

cant help but think of the south park episode about "that n****r guy"
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, someone who literally doesn't know that a "phobia" these days can also include hatred in meaning. Cool.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Mod requests are usually to be sent privately to Sunshine.

[Edit] There's also a suggestions forum.
    +1 Thanks, I'll do that. Wasn't aware of a suggestion forum. (Feel free to close this mods before the trolls arrive?) *edit: too late.

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 10:51 PM ----------

Oh nice, it was already moved. Thanks!
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2013-05-03 at 12:57 AM.
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    (Feel free to close this mods before the trolls arrive?) *edit: too late.
    The irony of this statement in a thread requesting what you are is quite solid...

Edit: As for the request to ban words specifically I agree with George Carlin and as such would totally disagree.

Last edited by Redblade; 2013-05-02 at 11:04 PM.

The same arguement could be applied to the use of 'liberal' and 'conservative' here, and on the Internet in general.

I wouldn't be for a ban on them, or any other word, as words (and the context surrounding them) are good indicators on how much credence to give to a poster.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2013-05-02 at 11:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    The words "homophobia, homophobe, etc" are highly misused words and are used like they have the same negative connotations as the words "stupid, idiot, retard" (all actionable).

Dumb is a perfect example of the same thing. Dumb just means a person is mute, but is highly misused today to mean something completely different.

Homophobia means a person is deathly afraid of homosexuality, but today is used by ignorant people to be a demeaning term just because a person disagrees.

I submit you make using the following words actionable just as any other insult, as they contribute nothing to the forums, incite arguments, and disrupt normal forum activity:
    -Homophobe
    -Homophobic
    -Homophobia
    Actually you are totally ignorant of what the word means.

You just dont like what it means.

From the OED:

Definition of homophobia
    noun
    [mass noun]
    an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our greater role on the forums as moderators is to facilitate discussion for our members. Good moderating is about keeping the discussion flowing and on-track, and the rules exist as a means to enforce this. The goal of the rules is not to be punitive for the sake of being punitive, nor is it to to prevent unpopular, incorrect, or silly opinions provided they otherwise comply with the site's policies. We're not supposed to be the censorship department, and we're not supposed to be the accuracy police. Even if the definition of a word was universally agreed on and language wasn't something dynamic, I don't think banning particular diction because it might be used inaccurately is really in line with our goal of facilitating discussion.

If you have any specific concerns, you might try sending a PM to one of the admins or using the 'contact us' link at the top (which I think emails them all) to mention it.

Also guys - please let's not turn this thread into a debate about the definition of the word.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Its not extreme or irrational, only to you.

There has been a precident here for misusing words. I was bant for saying extra gene in the gay gene debate, apparently i said a mod had downs syndrome because they were privey to the old grade school joke i had long forgot.

If they can call us homophobes are we allowed to call them homo's? Both seem to be applied in an aggressive fashion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Its not extreme or irrational, only to you.

There has been a precident here for misusing words. I was bant for saying extra gene in the gay gene debate, apparently i said a mod had downs syndrome because they were privey to the old grade school joke i had long forgot.

If they can call us homophobes are we allowed to call them homo's? Both seem to be applied in an aggressive fashion.
    "Homosexuals" and "gays" aren't derogatory unless you make them derogatory. Someone calling someone else a homophobe also isn't an insult. If someone is insulted at being called what they are (homophobic, bigoted) then perhaps they should evaluate WHY they're feeling insulted?

Having an irrational fear or dislike for homosexual people IS being homophobic. Displaying your hate towards them and pushing for laws of intolerance of gay people is bigoted.

Also, having no concrete or good reason for hating homosexuals IS irrational.

If the above terms are put in an aggressive context, (dirty offensive language!) "You ignorant self righteous bigot," "Fucking homosexuals," etc. then that is being deliberately insulting.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    If something's being used as an insult, whatever the word is, we'll take a look and take appropriate action.

Certain words are fine when used descriptively in a "usual" sense, but can also be used to insult. If that's the case, send a report and explain this, and we'll take care of it. You can PM me directly if you feel there's a systematic problem from a particular poster or mod.

Thank you for the consideration. As both of you said, I didn't mean for you to blanket the word use, only the context of someone intentionally using it as an insult.

There are plenty of posters thinking they can get away with this currently, and I'll only flag when I think it's appropriate for a mod's overview.

2. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.

If a person says "i hate niggers" is he not a bigot should "bigot" be an actionable word too? Because that's exactly the level homophobe is on.

Deleted
    Are you actually trying to have words banned, or calling for people to be reprimanded for using certain words?

Is this a joke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It can be expressed as antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, or hatred, and may be based on irrational fear.[1][2][3][4]

Why are you using wiki?

Dictionary.com:

pho·bi·a
    [foh-bee-uh] Show IPA

noun
    a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it

We all know (or should know) exactly what homophobia means. There is no leeway to make it your own meaning. Also, why are many of you going directly against what Tziva said? Don't make this into a word meaning debate. That's not what this is. Please stop adding uncalled for layers to the discussion. This is ONLY about the word, when misused liberally to be demeaning, as being on the same level as any other insult that is either misused or uncalled for in a forum thread.

This wasn't (AS I ALREADY SAID, PLEASE READ) a request to have the word banned.
    This is only to make sure I can report people that deliberately misuse the word to be demeaning.
    Misusing the word for someone that disagrees with your views is just ignorant, but not necessarily derogatory. Those that misuse it and as a derogatory term is the situation I'm was asking for clarification on and it was confirmed, just as any word that is derogatory.

Why do some of you insist on derailing and trolling threads as much as you do? Please read the actual words of posts, and don't make things up and put them in the mouths of other posters.

Deleted
    "Homophobia" and "phobia" are two different words. Why did you paste the meaning of "phobia" into your reply when you're talking about "homophobia"?

From your dictionary, since you dislike wiki articles:

unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality.

/facepalm because the etymology of the word is straight forward? (or it should be for most people).

Please read: I will not continue to entertain trolls trying to derail the thread with willful ignorance and nonsense. A mod has specifically said not to try to derail this thread into a word meaning debate. I will report anyone derailing or trolling the thread.

---------- Post added 2013-05-04 at 05:02 AM ----------

May I get a lock on this thread as the conversation is already over?
    Last edited by cutterx2202; 2013-05-04 at 05:04 AM.

Basically your making a thread and then saying no one can post anything you disagree with or you will try to report them for derailing your thread that is useless and pointless to began with. I dont think those words need to be actionable more then anyother words. Like with any word it depends on context.