Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Catching Up to 5.3, Battleground With the Blues, Blue Posts

Patch 5.3 PTR - Build 16911, PvP Gem Changes

Catching Up to 5.3
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    There’s a ton of content worth experiencing in Mists of Pandaria—but if you’re leveling alts or just looking to get to the highest gear levels to see the newest content, the “best” route is not always clear. We get a lot of questions on what to focus on, so hopefully this article can provide some helpful guidance.

Back in the Day
    In the initial months after Mists of Pandaria launched, the primary method to gear up a new level 90 was to run Scenarios and Heroic dungeons, and then do daily quests (beginning with Golden Lotus and Klaxxi, and then progressing to Shado-Pan and August Celestials) to earn reputation to unlock the vendors that sold higher-level epics. Along the way, players would qualify for the Raid Finder version of Mogu’shan Vaults, and then eventually the Raid Finder versions of Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring, supplementing the gear they unlocked and purchased with Valor Points.

While all of that content, along with the original reputation vendors and associated progression, remains in the game, patch 5.2 introduced several new, more efficient ways to get a fresh level 90 caught up and ready to jump right into the Throne of Thunder raid.

Get to ‘da Island!
    The core of the current gearing system revolves around the new Isle of Thunder, and the vastly accelerated rate at which Elder Charms of Good Fortune can be obtained on the Isle. Elder Charms are used for bonus rolls when defeating raid bosses from the expansion’s first set of raids—Mogu’shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, Terrace of Endless Spring—as well as Mists of Pandaria’s original world bosses, Sha of Anger and Galleon. By obtaining Elder Charms, defeating bosses, and using bonus rolls, you’ll receive more chances to acquire upgrades, helping you gear up at a faster pace.

The Isle of Thunder also offers other ways to acquire Elder Charms. By defeating rare-spawn enemies on the Isle of Thunder, looting a Trove of the Thunder King, or defeating common enemies, players can receive a Key to the Palace of Lei Shen (one per week, with a small chance at extras from the coffers awarded at the conclusion of daily quest arcs). Players can take the key to Taoshi in the Shado-Pan encampment located in the swamp at the center of the Isle for a chance to do a Treasure Room run. In these runs, players have 5 minutes to open as many chests as possible and make it as far as they can through a dangerous, trap-laden vault. These runs are not only a ton of fun, but can be extremely lucrative in providing gold and Elder Charms. Foregoing a race to the finish line and instead systematically opening every chest you can get your hands on will likely yield a significant number of Elder Charms—it’s not uncommon to emerge from a single run with over a dozen. Additional Elder Charms can be obtained by using Incantations that also drop from creatures on the Isle and taking them to the graveyard in the mogu ruins on the west side of the Isle.

In 5.2, we significantly increased drop rates in the Raid Finder versions of Mogu’shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring, so it’s quite possible to walk into the Raid Finder and have enough Elder Charms to use a bonus roll on every boss you kill (with greatly increased drop chances) for a tremendous loot yield. You can also run Raid Finder more than once per week if you have more Elder Charms. You won’t receive normal drops from the boss, but your bonus rolls will have a chance of rewarding an item.

Misc. Stuff We Couldn’t Think of a Title For
    If you’re into PvP, recent changes have made PvE gear pretty decent in PvP, and vice-versa. Outside of sockets and set bonuses, you can get a bunch of Honor (or Justice Points, and covert them to Honor at the Justice Trade Good vendors in Orgrimmar and Stormwind) and buy Item Level (ilvl) 476 PvP gear to help fill in any gaps and help you get into the higher rungs of PvE content.

Like Sha of Anger, the world boss Galleon now respawns much more frequently. The world boss Nalak is also now accessible on the Isle of Thunder, and the Shado-Pan Assault vendor is selling a neckpiece for Valor Points with no additional reputation requirements. In addition, the Isle of Thunder factions sell an ilvl 476 belt for gold at Honored reputation, which makes doing their dailies pretty enticing.

What the Future Holds
    In Patch 5.3: Escalation, you’ll head to the Barrens and participate in an uprising that will lead to the ultimate challenges in 5.4, and a variety of patch 5.3 content will award ilvl 476 to ilvl 489 items for participating in and completing quests. It’s important to note that the 5.3 world event will only be available for a limited time, as the story continues in 5.4. In addition, the XP required to level from 85 to 90 is being reduced by 33% in patch 5.3. If you’re looking to level and gear up alts, patch 5.3 may be a good time to do so with these additional options.

Between all of these sources, an adventurous player should be should be able to walk right into the Raid Finder Throne of Thunder within a week or two of hitting level 90, even without touching any of the mainland reputations.

Content ilvl Requirements
    • ilvl 440 required for Heroic dungeons
    • ilvl 460 required for Mogu’shan Vaults
    • ilvl 470 required for Heart of Fear and Terrace of Endless Spring
    • ilvl 480 required for Throne of Thunder

Gearing for Throne of Thunder
    • XP required to level from 85-90 reduced by 33% in patch 5.3
    • ilvl 440 required for Heroic dungeons. Quest rewards from Townlong Steppes as well as Dread Wastes will bring you up to 440. It may be worthwhile to begin these zones earlier in the leveling process
    • At 90 head to the Isle of Thunder and progress through the quests each day and hunt for a Key to the Palace of Lei Shen each week. The portal to the Isle can be found at the Shado-Pan Garrison in western Townlong Steppes
    • The Arena of Annihilation scenario has a mini-quest inside that rewards an ilvl 450 weapon
    • Key to the Palace of Lei Shen looted once per week from rare spawns, Trove of Thunder King chests, or by defeating common enemies on the Isle of Thunder
      • There’s a small chance for Throne of Thunder LFR gear to come from the chests after you’ve completed your run
      • Loot run provides Elder Charms of Good Fortune
      • Elder Charms provide bonus rolls when defeating bosses in Mogu’shan Vaults, Heart of Fear, Terrace of Endless Spring, as well as the 5.0 world bosses Sha of Anger and Galleon
      • You can run LFR more than once per week if you have more Elder Charms. You won’t receive normal drops from the boss but your bonus rolls still do have a chance of rewarding an item
    • With Elder Charms of Good Fortune acquired, and an average ilvl of 460, head into Mogu’shan Vaults, you can queue using the Raid Finder (default shortcut key: i)
    • Crafted PvP items (ilvl 458) can help get you over the hump into Heroic dungeons
    • Crafted ilvl 476 items (Gloves/Chest/Weapons/etc.) can help jumpstart you into LFR
    • 5.3 Battlefield Barrens quests will award ilvl 476 and 489 items
    • 476 belt is purchasable from the Isle of Thunder Kirin Tor Offensive (A) or Sunreaver Onslaught (H) for gold
    • 476 Epic boots available from a quest received by killing Sha of Anger (loot Claw of Anger)
    • 476 PvP items purchased with Honor can help fill in any gaps and raise your average ilvl with little negative effect to your overall ability in raids
    • Shado-Pan Assault ilvl 522 neck available at Neutral for 1250 Valor Points
    • Lesser Charms of Good Fortune can be exchanged at your faction’s shrine in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms for Mogu Runes of Fate. Mogu Runes provide bonus rolls for 5.2 bosses including those in the Throne of Thunder, and world bosses Oondasta and Nalak

Battlegrounds With The Blues! 5/03/13
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Greetings Champions!

Once again the song of battle calls we Blizzard employees forth to the fields of honor! Who will accept the challenge and test their might against ours!? (/rp)

Tomorrow (5/3/13) from 4pm-6pm PST we'll be logging onto the PTR realms and queuing for 5.3's new battleground Deepwind Gorge.

We'll be identified by the guilds [Blizzard Horde] & [Blizzard Alliance]. So come on to the PTRs, queue up for Deepwind Gorge, and be hungry for a fight.

Hope to see you there!

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Scenarios and Dungeons
    Why is Blizzard pushing scenarios so much? Think of the amount of dungeons they could have made in this time.
    Scenarios are far quicker to create than dungeons. They don't just rely on specific class balance among other things. So, the time it would have taken to create a single new dungeon is much greater than most realize. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Death Match Battleground
    Battle grounds have always been missing an important part of world pvp.... PvP. Make it like a big arena but not so big that people can't hide. 10 to 15 players forced into all out pvp. First to so many kills or 10 minutes, whichever comes first, wins the round.

No need to even create an area for it. Just make a copy of Blackrock mountain in an instance.

What you're asking for is a straight Death Match type of Battleground. I'm not sure it would be compelling as you think. I'm a big fan of DM as well, at least in FPS', but for an MMO like World of Warcraft, I question how enjoyable it would be in the long run for people. I think for players who feel very comfortable with their abilities, straight head on PvP like that would be fun for them, but for others, I'm not sure it would have the same appeal.

That said, I'm not killing the discussion. I'm just interested in how you feel this would work or appeal to a wide enough audience for it to be worth creating.

I think Southshore/Tarren Mill speak to it being desired. But that's gone now.
    People forget that Southshore/Tarren Mill occurred because there were no battlegrounds at the time. It was "the place to go" if you wanted mass amounts of faction vs. faction PvP. I remember, I was there. I also remember hoping a spell would go off in time.

As much as I'd love to believe everyone loves PvP, it's not true. That said though, I think World of Warcraft has managed to introduce PvP to more people who may have never tried it before. This is a good thing. Creating interesting PvP encounters is important for continuing to keep people interested in it though. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Spectral Guise Side Effect
    Coming back to this one quickly; Spectral Guise removing a player from combat is not entirely a bug, but more of an unfortunate side-effect that's caused by the way the spell functions in order to accomplish particular tasks. We are fine that this perk is available through Spectral Guise and have no plans at this time to change the way the spell works.

We're aware that the tooltip is currently incorrect in its current state and are looking to update it in an upcoming patch, however this will not be until patch 5.4 at the soonest. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-05-03 at 01:32 AM.

The catch up post is really nice for all the players that dont quite know how to get into the LFRs.

don't like the catch up post really, game has all become about these numbers, ilvl ilvl ilvl...

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    don't like the catch up post really, game has all become about these numbers, ilvl ilvl ilvl...
    Gear score gear score gear score
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no sense of immersion left anymore, which is in my opinion one of the main aspects that keep people hooked into an MMO =(

It's all about racing to get enough ilvl to run LFR for most people and then farming LFR every week. I remember in Cataclysm I had a Level 25 random invite guild constantly capped at 1k people and all the guild challenges were always met every single week.

In MoP, I had the same guild, 1k capped but now I'm lucky to see 1 run get done that goes towards Guild Challenges despite several efforts to form a real 25 raiding core or RBG core. There are people interested, but not nearly enough people to make a viable long term team and this was on Illidan - mind you of all servers.

The Game In A Nutshell Now:
    Hit 90, get your iLvl to LFR status and run LFR. Then ride around in circles on your mount until Tuesday or work on achievements. Dailies were a nice touch at first but after you burn yourself out on the repetitive state of the same dailies every day, it gets tiring. I enjoyed the repetitive dailies of BC far more than I do MoPs.. maybe I'm just not a fan of Pandaria.. even though the land is beautiful.

Should be able to copy/paste this on the WoW forums anytime someone asks how to gear up

Quote Originally Posted by KBWarriors View Post
    Hit 90, get your iLvl to LFR status and run LFR. Then ride around in circles on your mount until Tuesday or work on achievements. Dailies were a nice touch at first but after you burn yourself out on the repetitive state of the same dailies every day, it gets tiring. I enjoyed the repetitive dailies of BC far more than I do MoPs.. maybe I'm just not a fan of Pandaria.. even though the land is beautiful.
    I feel bad for you, really. All you do is LFR and say there is no immersion.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

There's no sense of immersion left anymore, which is in my opinion one of the main aspects that keep people hooked into an MMO =(

It's all about racing to get enough ilvl to run LFR for most people and then farming LFR every week. I remember in Cataclysm I had a Level 25 random invite guild constantly capped at 1k people and all the guild challenges were always met every single week.

In MoP, I had the same guild, 1k capped but now I'm lucky to see 1 run get done that goes towards Guild Challenges despite several efforts to form a real 25 raiding core or RBG core. There are people interested, but not nearly enough people to make a viable long term team and this was on Illidan - mind you of all servers.

It has always been like that, just in vanilla the ilvl was hidden unless you had an add-on. But the game always was about getting to a certain number for most players ( nature resist!!!). The difference is back in vanilla, there were very limited ways go gear up. how about 4 months of running Stratholme... The difference now is there are a ton of options, and as we saw when mop launched, maybe too many options in that it became confusing ( still laughing at all the people who thought they had to do all the dailies). In any event, this type of post IS needed because of the options to gear up. In vanilla, it would just be ´go to Strat to finish your dungeon set)..

Too bad hardcore or even semi-hc guilds will not rcruit you unless you're fully decked to begin with... That's what got me out of WoW anyway, leave for a few months and your gear is useless without another couple months of time investment...

Before LFR normal/hm raiding was how you progressed once you got past 5mans, so of course there was more impetus to do them. Nowadays LFR can give a similar feeling while being easier and not having to be scheduled, so of course people are going to flock to it. Regular raiding is still the better option for both gear and fun though.

As for immersion, that's entirely a matter of opinion, and I hardly see what grinding LFR has to do with it, because there have always, always been grinds in this game.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Well this is the bummer blue wall of text for the week.

So we go from running small scale group based content for gear catch up to get into large scale group based content in the previous expansions that was deemed to be bad for the game and move to running solo oriented content in order to catch up to large scale group based content. This two week catch up goal is also similar to how fast I caught up in Cata which was considered too fast by the developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    Nowadays LFR can give a similar feeling while being easier and not having to be scheduled...
    Its like players have completely blocked out the existence of PuG raiding.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-05-03 at 02:43 AM.

Man, they're really shoving the upgrades down your throat these days...

I'm a little disappointed in hearing that the 5.3 story is going to be time-limited. It makes sense, but it seems to run contrary to what they said about developing content that only gets 'played once' and then disappears, not to mention newer players missing out.

10+ Year Old Account

Someone get this guy a tissue, he can't seem to stop crying about the same thing in practically every thread that has to do with LFR or any changes to the game -.-.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Someone get this guy a tissue, he can't seem to stop crying about the same thing in practically every thread that has to do with LFR or any changes to the game -.-.
    Haha you got right. We must stop him!

Deleted
    battlegrounds with blues be funny if they faced a bot team and blizzard as normal do feck all about it lol

Deleted
    I'm a little disappointed in hearing that the 5.3 story is going to be time-limited. It makes sense, but it seems to run contrary to what they said about developing content that only gets 'played once' and then disappears, not to mention newer players missing out.
    This. Not to mention all my alts who won't get their authentic troll shoes!

Finally faster 85-90 cap. Yet i feel that 5.3 is pushing in way too fast. Started in november so a bit late compared to release and yet i'm still trying to complete 5.0 content. Haven't even touched Isle of Thunder except lfr and i play like 8+ hours a day. 3 lvl 90s and 6 more to be done. Kudos for Blizzard making content faster, but now it feels too fast for people who want to complete absolutely everything. Just camping the 5.0 rares for the novelty items can easily take 2-3 hours a day not to speak the lfr queueing 30 mins now days per queue and running 2 characters through at least 8 wings takes 2-3 days, plus pvp arena capping and dailies for another 1-3 hours every day. Just for the necessary things, then the actual playing can begin with bging, instancing, crafting, socializing and soloing old content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by rede View Post
    Finally faster 85-90 cap. Yet i feel that 5.3 is pushing in way too fast. Started in november so a bit late compared to release and yet i'm still trying to complete 5.0 content. Haven't even touched Isle of Thunder except lfr and i play like 8+ hours a day. 3 lvl 90s and 6 more to be done. Kudos for Blizzard making content faster, but now it feels too fast for people who want to complete absolutely everything. Just camping the 5.0 rares for the novelty items can easily take 2-3 hours a day not to speak the lfr queueing 30 mins now days per queue and running 2 characters through at least 8 wings takes 2-3 days, plus pvp arena capping and dailies for another 1-3 hours every day. Just for the necessary things, then the actual playing can begin with bging, instancing, crafting, socializing and soloing old content.
    Well, how many do you think have the mentality that they have to do everything?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.