Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Was it a bad idea WoW to create Asian themed expansion?

I've always wondered, why did Blizzard choose to create an expansion based upon asian culture when the game got famous thanks to western culture? Why did they have to radically change something that was working great so far?

Not gonna happen. Banned.

For those who haven't read through the thread: Fake mod edits aren't okay.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2013-05-07 at 05:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually like the Asian themed expansion, I think its some of blizzards best work
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Deleted
    That's like saying why did they make burning crusade, based upon another world? Dafuq sort of question is this?

Why was one expansion all about demons and crazy stuff to do with that, and then why did they switch it up and move it to the freakin' NORTH where there's not demons and just snow and norse gods and vikings. GOD, this game, why can't you stay the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because WoW is in decline and to make it going up again you always need to do something crazy.
    MoP had a big hate base since start.

But blizzard has proven themself that MoP is not a horrible expansion but one of the best there is (Personal opinion).

I'm not a big fan of Asian stuff myself that's why i think WoW is #1 MMORPG in my eyes, because it isnt full of Asian garbage.
    I wasn't happy myself when i saw the first trailer back in cataclysm, i was like WTF blizz?
    But well Blizzard has proven me that MoP is a legit expansion and i'm glad they didn't back out, that shows how strong they are with making decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I don't see a problem with that. If you think about it TBC had this steampunk/sci-fi theme to it yet it was commonly praised. For me, blizzard did pretty good job making pandaria part of azeroth. Aside what is so asian about it ? Diffrent architecture ? We get it every expack. Its like asking "was that bad idea to add egypt themed zone in cata ??"

No, diversity is a good thing. Too much of the same without variation would ruin the game. MoP is my favorite expansion so far.

Deleted
    This thread is both new, original and extremely refreshing. Hadn't had one of these since like last week.

"oh my god this fantasy world is not portraying european castles for a whole expansion, oh my fucking god my life is over". Deal with it.

the fantasy genre is not a strictly 'western culture' concept.

there isn't anything wrong with the Panderan theme, or the Draeni, or the Trolll, or the Dwarf etc etc etc
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

I like it, I think WoW itself is getting a tad stale though - But that's probably just me playing for too many years. Thinking about it objectively, the content of this expansion is probably the best - I just think the way that WoW is generally going (LFD...LFR... lack of mystery/exploration needed etc) is what's putting me off.

It's actually one of the only things i really liked about the expation; I thought the way they shaped Chinese culture to their universe was pretty mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSnail View Post
    I've always wondered, why did Blizzard choose to create an expansion based upon asian culture when the game got famous thanks to western culture? Why did they have to radically change something that was working great so far?
    So ur logic is ur supposed to base expansions on the culture that made the original game famous? I don't see why. I think you just choose whatever seems to fit the story and seems most interesting. It's not like they were debating between those two options.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    , because it isnt full of Asian garbage.
    what is asian garbage? I think I know what you're talking about but I don't want to assume anything.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Asian stuff myself that's why i think WoW is #1 MMORPG in my eyes, because it isnt full of Asian garbage.
    Exactly, they created asian themed expansion for people who aren't fans of asian culture, therefore they excluded a lot of features typical for asian themed games making it a wierd mix that feels very unfinished and unpolished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did Blizzard do it? because they wanted to. Why are you complaining about it now? Shouldn't you have complained about it several years ago before the years of time and millions of dollars of development were invested?

I rather enjoy the expansion, to say what they've done isn't working might be accurate in your little corner of of the world... but its working swimmingly well for those that are enjoying it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

How come they made an entire expansion about snow? I hate the snow, it's cold and wet and annoying. Can't believe they'd do that. No need to be mad about an Asian themed expansion when there was a snowy expansion to be angry about.

And if all the previous expansions haven't convinced you then also think about the global marketing that Blizz wants to do.

Appealing to more Asian/Eastern cultures expands the reach of the game greatly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, they created asian themed expansion for people who aren't fans of asian culture, therefore they excluded a lot of features typical for asian themed games making it a wierd mix that feels very unfinished and unpolished.
    I find your complaining unfinished and unpolished.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

World of Warcraft.

MoP is fine. I'm having fun.
    The scenery is also beautiful and refreshing compared to Outlands; Whose only good zones in my opinion were Nagrand and Netherstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I find your complaining unfinished and unpolished.
    This.

Along with the fact you completely ignored everyone's comments that the expansion was a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.