Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My wallet is crying in the corner from the €54.99 punch to the gut...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure I'll pick it up but I'll probably wait till after launch.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Save yourselves some money if you pre-order!

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/05/vou...n-emperor.html

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Snip for size
    Best DLC topic post I've ever scene on here. I wish more people knew and read this. I always ask people who think they should get All DLC for free, if they have ever bought a car if they should get every single optional upgrade for free? It's the same thing, if you want more then just the original(because you enjoy the original so much) you pay for more. People don't freak out when they have to pay to see Iron Man 3 when they already paid to see 1 and 2. They don't complain when they have to pay for The Two Towers after they finish reading a the Fellowship. Yet games get tons of these complaints when paying for DLC or expansion packs. Why do people expect games to be any different from everything else in our capitalist society? I'm getting off topic though so I'm done.

As for the game itself I'm really excited for it. I highly enjoyed Shogun 2, so much so that I bought every other total War game during the Steam holiday sale in a package. I never pre-order games though, so i'll be missing out on the extra factions for free sadly. Definitely a nice pre-order bonus though.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-05-09 at 07:53 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Best DLC topic post I've ever scene on here. I wish more people knew and read this. I always ask people who think they should get All DLC for free, if they have ever bought a car if they should get every single optional upgrade for free? It's the same thing, if you want more then just the original(because you enjoy the original so much) you pay for more. People don't freak out when they have to pay to see Iron Man 3 when they already paid to see 1 and 2. They don't complain when they have to pay for The Two Towers after they finish reading a the Fellowship. Yet games get tons of these complaints when paying for DLC or expansion packs. Why do people expect games to be any different from everything else in our capitalist society? I'm getting off topic though so I'm done.

As for the game itself I'm really excited for it. I highly enjoyed Shogun 2, so much so that I bought every other total War game during the Steam holiday sale in a package. I never pre-order games though, so i'll be missing out on the extra factions for free sadly. Definitely a nice pre-order bonus though.
    Comparing Films to games is just wrong.

You pay for Battlefield 1 2 and 3 just the same as you pay to see iron man 1 2 and 3.

I am long done pre-ordering games. The total war series is great but always buggy and the AI is always piss poor at launch. I'll buy this one down the line on sale after the fixes go through and the DLC is essentially free. OR if users and reviewers convince me its worth the money AFTER release.

Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    I am long done pre-ordering games. The total war series is great but always buggy and the AI is always piss poor at launch. I'll buy this one down the line on sale after the fixes go through and the DLC is essentially free. OR if users and reviewers convince me its worth the money AFTER release.
    IT will be 50% off by christmas steam sale most likely anyway :|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post

Pre-order 2-3 days in front? That's not a "real" preorder but would still give you the free dlc's. You will lose more money at the end when you do not pre-order I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    I didn't buy shogun 2 either. Last one I got was empire, and that was awful.
    i agree that empire was the worst part in the series (started playing with the original rome) but shogun 2 was really, really good. a lot of the stuff that made empire overly complicated (without actually adding strategic or tactical depth) and clunky was removed or changed for shogun 2. not to mention that empire was plagued by many bugs, and the relative static nature of gun carrying regiments in battles (in comparison to a balance of light and heavy infantry, light and heavy cavalry, marksmen and siege weapons in pre-gunpowder eras) made the tactical battles less dynamic and diverse.

only thing i dislike about shogun 2 (even though it might be historically correct) is the very limited number of different units. the sea battles, which is were empire really shined, aren't all that great in shogun 2 either, imo.

still, if you liked rome and medieval 2 and don't mind the japanese theme too much, shogun 2 is a great total war title.

as for the actual topic: i was very happyface when i just saw the pre-order pop up on steam!
    i'm not sure yet if i'm going to pre-order it, since i don't care much about the dlc, but i will almost certainly buy it right when it is released. unless they go with some terrible drm, i can't really see reviews beeing bad enough to make me not buy it^^

I fully expect this game to be worse than R:TW or M:TW in almost every way except graphically and maybe naval combat or something. I hope they don't add those stupid tech trees and skill trees for characters from shogun 2 (making every single character a cookie-cutter archetype with no flavour to them whatsoever, except maybe some womanizing or drunkenness, and you had to parade your freakin' governours out to the battlefield to earn them some experience governing...), but I assume that heey will add them anyway.

There also probably won't be mod support, DLC out the ass of likely almost equal quality to what the community would've made for free anyway (one small professional development team can't compete with the entire community of hobbyists), etc.

But I'll still buy it.

I can't help myself.

I'll even pre-order it right now.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I fully expect this game to be worse than R:TW or M:TW in almost every way except graphically and maybe naval combat or something. I hope they don't add those stupid tech trees and skill trees for characters from shogun 2 (making every single character a cookie-cutter archetype with no flavour to them whatsoever, except maybe some womanizing or drunkenness, and you had to parade your freakin' governours out to the battlefield to earn them some experience governing...), but I assume that heey will add them anyway.
    i agree on the part of character talent trees, both because of the "only battles give xp" problem you mention and the fact that it felt more like a hassle to specc the 10th general/agent. it was nice in theory to have one assasination-ninja, and one for sabotating armies, but in practise you usually needed all the ninja for one thing, depending on the situation. same with generals.

i did, however, greatly enjoy the global talent trees, both in shogun 2 and empire. i hope to see these again in rome 2 (and would be very surprised not to).

Deleted
    They are going to change some stuff I know that.

Talenting stays but it becomes easier (as it's 1 year per turn and your characters will die sooner) and might get more traits and stuff.

And the general thing goes to armies, they will get some sort of talenttree that makes them better at what they are aimed to be doing and can be revived if destroying.

Or although, I heard something like that.

Anyone buying the CE? I pre-ordered it on a pay-when-delivered basis so I can cancel it anywhere between now and 8 days after receiving it (ofc. as long as it is unopened) since I really am not sure yet if I want to pay 118 Euro's for a single game. Then again, it is Total War: Rome II, and Roman history is my passion :/
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

I don't have that kind of money unfortunately.

Don't see a point to pre-ordering a game that far off release. First I have no idea if I will be free to play it on launch, so why get it on release if I do not have time to play it. Secondly it might turn out horrible and if that is the case i'll find out 2 or 3 hours after release. Honestly I can wait 24 hours to play a game.

We are getting free dlc because the game is done and they are just polishing now, they cant fit anymore on the disc so they release free dlc instead day one. It was explained by the devs on twcenter.

And im really fucking exited, the total war serie is imo one off the best pc franshises.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2013-05-10 at 07:45 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Don't know why people are preordering this. The Total Wars series are notorious for being buggy as hell at launch. It'd probably be best to wait till release and read reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Don't know why people are preordering this. The Total Wars series are notorious for being buggy as hell at launch. It'd probably be best to wait till release and read reviews.
    Not had a problem since empire. Also Darth is always fast to release a mod to fix those kind off things.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2013-05-10 at 07:56 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I bought a CE was when they were in the eighty dollar range. Once CE's passed the hundred dollar mark? I stopped buying them.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    We are getting free dlc because the game is done and they are just polishing now, they cant fit anymore on the disc so they release free dlc instead day one. It was explained by the devs on twcenter.
    assuming you're talking about the greek cultures dlc, "we" are not getting a "free" dlc. people who pre-order get one, because of marketing reasons, just like almost all pre-order titles lately gave some bonus. it increases sales, plain and simple.
    saying they "can't fit anymore on the disc" is really laughable (if they actually said that). a dlc like that mostly just unlocks stuff that is already in the game, except for some textures and sounds (both of which don't need a lot of space). not to mention that the great majority of game sales are digitial anyway.
    if they actually wanted it to be part of the game for everyone, and not just use it for marketing, they would've included it at least in the digital version and/or made it completely free to download for anyone who bought the game.

that said, taking their time to polish the game is certainly a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    that'd be news to me. empire was certainly very buggy and for quite some time, but medieval 2 seemed fine to me, and so did shogun 2 (at least in singleplayer, multiplayer co-op was unplayable for many, due to constant desynchronization and connection loss) and FotS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Shogun 2: FotS sea battles were a lot better than Empire's sea battles in my opinion.
    true, FotS sea battles were fine. i guess i just prefer the huge sailing warships of empire, over smaller steam boats
    the vanilla shogun 2 ones were pretty bad though, the pathfinding was terrible and at some points just plain broken. quite a big deal in battles that focus on short range (relative to cannons) arrows and boarding.