Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

My response to Benghazi congressional committee hearing

As a republican here is my stance on the controversial issue on the Benghazi attack:

There are events that unfold during most administrations in which judgment calls come into question. Our entry into Iraq during Bush's 43rd presidency will forever be seen as controversial. Thousands of our servicemen and women died and were injured, physically and mentally, due to faulty intelligence. More closely-related to this issue was the case in Lebanon in the 1980s when over 200 Marines were killed in their barracks by a suicide bomber as they slept during the Reagan administration. It has been reported that the Secretary of Defense at that time, Casper Weinberger, was against the mission from the beginning because of lax security. Those who investigated the incident afterwards found that, indeed, the lack of adequate security led to the deaths of the Marines.

What happened at Benghazi was tragic, and we should do everything within our power in an effort to avoid this from ever happening again and take the recommendations of those who reviewed the incident. However, this matter has had partisan-political overtones from the beginning from both sides. Logistics seemed to have played the major role in why no forces were sent in; and not some sinister political motivation. [According to the former Defense secretary, and the Joint Chiefs, it sounds like this decision was made with the input of many, and didn't happen clandestinely]. Leading up to the testimony of Mr. Hicks, there were those who compared this to Watergate, or worse; and even those who have predicted that the president won't serve out his term because of it. We now know from Mr. Hicks that there was deffinitly a screw up in logistics. That has happened before, and it will happen again under future administrations. That's a fact. However, I refuse to believe that the president and others in his administration just let these men die for the sake of their own careers or political gain is as absurd as believing that George W. Bush knew that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and deliberately sent men into harm's way, or that Ronald Reagan didn't care about the lives of the Marines who died in those barracks.

What I am trying to say is that there most likely was some push from both parties to shine bad light on eachother so close to the election. However, I truly believe as a republican that Obama never committed an impeachable offense. I still think we need to find out who instructed Susan Rice to show case the incident as a result of a youtube video because I think the American people deserve to know the truth but I don't think there is a huge cover up as most of the GOP claim it to be.

I've seen a ton of politics about it from the Republican side, but not really much--if any--from the Democrat side. The Democrats generally seem to feel the same way you do (and I daresay how most people feel about it) and so there wouldn't appear to be much need for them to politicize it or to take a sharply partisan stance.

As for Susan Rice going out and saying it was the videos: that was in the intel briefing/talking points she was given. The question is who gave her those talking points. The authors say it wasn't them, and no one else claims to have had a hand in it, so who to believe? Also, keep in mind that there were TWO different situations going on: the attack in Benghazi which was apparently not motivated by the videos, and protests elsewhere that WERE motivated by the videos. It seems likely that these were jumbled together accidentally, or else someone decided to send a message to encompass them both at the same time.
    Last edited by ptwonline; 2013-05-09 at 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    I've seen a ton of politics about it from the Republican side, but not really much--if any--from the Democrat side. The Democrats generally seem to feel the same way you do (and I daresay how most people feel about it) and so there wouldn't appear to be much need for them to politicize it or to take a sharply partisan stance.

As for Susan Rice going out and saying it was the videos: that was in the intel briefing/talking points she was given. The question is who gave her those talking points. The authors say it wasn't them, and no one else claims to have had a hand in it, so who to believe? Also, keep in mind that there were TWO different situations going on: the attack in Benghazi which was apparently not motivated by the videos, and protests elsewhere that WERE motivated by the videos. It seems likely that these were jumbled together accidentally, or else someone decided to send a message to encompass them both at the same time.
    Here are the facts from that hearing:

• Despite several requests before the attack, the State Department consistently refused to provide more security. During the attack itself, the State Department refused to provide aid.

• Ambassador Stevens’ last known words were to Gregory Hicks, his second in command in Tripoli: “Greg, we are under attack!” (Not, “Greg, there are some angry movie goers in front demanding a refund.”)

• Everyone on the ground in Libya immediately recognized that the consulate was under a coordinated, terrorist attack.

• Secretary of State Hillary Clinton talked to Mr. Hicks – then the top diplomat in Libya – during and after the attack. She knew exactly what was going on at all times.

• During the attack, President Obama did not speak once with the Pentagon.

• Five days after the attack, Susan Rice, went on TV – 5 times – to state the official party line: What happened in Benghazi was a demonstration over a previously unknown anti-Islam video. No one consulted Gregory Hicks about these talking points, even though he was now the top diplomat in Libya.

• The administration pressured the State of California to jail the man who made this obscure video, and he remains in jail to this day.

• Gregory Hicks, who knew first-hand that Susan Rice was misrepresenting the facts, was both shocked and embarrassed by her performance.

• When a congressional investigation team came to Libya, Hillary Clinton ordered Gregory Hicks, who was now the Obama administration’s top diplomat Libya, not to talk to a Congressional committee. This was the first time in his twenty-two year career that Hicks received such an order. The State Department sent a lawyer along with the Congressional committee to make sure Hicks had no contact with them.

• When Gregory Hicks finally did talk to the Congressional committee, a furious Cheryl Mills, Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff, called Hicks and demanded an explanation and a report.

• Despite his twenty-two year career with the State Department and his stellar record (as demonstrated by his assignment to be Ambassador Stevens’ second-in-command in Iraq), Gregory Hicks has been harassed by the State Department and has not had an appointment since the Benghazi affair.

These were facts stated under oath before a Congressional committee. Moreover, no one on the Democrat side of the aisle has had the temerity to deny these facts (which have been circulating for a couple of days now). Democrats are trying to ignore them to death, not deny them to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice copy/paste from Mr.Conservative.com Read the actual transcripts, that write up you posted invents and omits some information

Quote Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
    Democrats are trying to ignore them to death, not deny them to death.
    Because no one gives a shit except the same angry "conservatives" who have been riled since 2008.

Americans have the responsiblity to demand accountability from our politicans for their decisions that result in the loss of life of our public servants.

As a SGT in the U.S. Army if I make a bad decision that results in my soldiers lossing their lives, id be held accountable, and rightly so. So should our politicans.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    There have been many attacks on American consulates/embassies. Followed by no crazy talk about impeachment. It's just more conspiracy claptrap from Fox and a handful frightened politicians doing a dog and pony show for their nuttier base. Impeachment hearings before the midterms would not go well for the GOP.
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-05-10 at 12:48 AM.
    Operation Red Wing

Quote Originally Posted by kunah View Post
    There have been many attacks on American consulates/embassies. Followed by no crazy talk about impeachment. It's just more conspiracy claptrap from Fox and a handful frightened politicians doing a dog and pony show for their nuttier base.

Not many of those incidents involved senior members of the state dept ignoring pleas for help by embassy officals on the ground being attacked. Than those same senior officials did the best they could to deflect responsiblity and sweep it under the rug.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Americans have the responsiblity to demand accountability from our politicans for their decisions that result in the loss of life of our public servants.

As a SGT in the U.S. Army if I make a bad decision that results in my soldiers lossing their lives, id be held accountable, and rightly so. So should our politicans.
    Do you mean like Bush/Cheney was held accountable for the deaths of thousands of fine young Americans?
    Operation Red Wing

Not many of those incidents involved senior members of the state dept ignoring pleas for help by embassy officals on the ground being attacked.
    How do you know?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not many of those incidents involved senior members of the state dept ignoring pleas for help by embassy officals on the ground being attacked. Than those same senior officials did the best they could to deflect responsiblity and sweep it under the rug.
    ,,, according to your playbook only. No one else cares.
    Operation Red Wing

Do you mean like Bush/Cheney was held accountable for the deaths of thousands of fine young Americans?
    Or the over dozen attacks on embassies when they were in office?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    With at least 11 deaths of State Department people in those embassies. And there were only a handful of Congressional hearings. Meanwhile Benghazi has had 10+ hearings alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Nice copy/paste from Mr.Conservative.com Read the actual transcripts, that write up you posted invents and omits some information
    What information was left out? Or rather where are the actual transcripts
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

So two wrongs make a right?

I'm sad to see that so many fellow Americans see it as okay for our public servants to be used as bargining chips.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 07:11 PM ----------

,,, according to your playbook only. No one else cares.
    I guess your sentiment is the root of the problem.....no one cares. Its okay if public servants die because of incompetence, as long as its your guy in office.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not saying there hasn't been other attacks. I do not recall another situation in which military backup has been denied to evacuate state dept personnal. They were left hanging.

So two wrongs make a right?

I'm sad to see that so many fellow Americans see it as okay for our public servants to be used as bargining chips.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 07:11 PM ----------

I guess your sentiment is the root of the problem.....no one cares. Its okay if public servants die because of incompetence, as long as its your guy in office.
    Oh yea, you care now. I seldom heard a peep over the other embassy attacks, but now...Oh man, it fucking matters!

Heads must roll!
    (Since now it's good for your agenda.)

See, you just nailed it. Drove home everyone's point for them. It was all cool when they died on your guys watch, but now? Greatest crime in the history of greatest crimes in history!

Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Oh yea, you care now. I seldom heard a peep over the other embassy attacks, but now...Oh man, it fucking matters!

Heads must roll!

See, you just nailed it. Drove home everyone's point for them. It was all cool when they died on your guys watch, but now? Greatest crime in the history of greatest crimes in history!
    Sigh....

Who said Bush was "my guy"?

I guess im the bad guy because I believe our elected officals should be held accountable for actions or inactions that result in the needless deaths of public servants.

silly me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post

Heads must roll!

Not a fucking cool thing to say when talking to a serving soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Not a fucking cool thing to say when talking to a serving soldier.
    Your assuming they care Rich.

Americans are really hot and cold when it comes to caring about the people that are serving them. They either love us or hate us.

I would just like some accountability from our politicians.

Deleted
    Your assuming they care Rich.

Americans are really hot and cold when it comes to caring about the people that are serving them. They either love us or hate us.

I would just like some accountability from our politicians.
    I am praying that all these fuckers that are against soldiers and the military get drafted vietnam style, see how big their balls are then.