Is Can You Run It wrong?

I just installed Deus Ex: Human revolution earlier. I'm pretty damn excited to finally be plaything this game but after running Can You Run It it told me that I was a good ways past the minimum requirements, which is great. However, I ran it again for The Witcher 2 and it told me that I far exceed the requirements for The Witcher. What's this all about? I can run The Witcher pretty well at medium settings but I'm sure if I attempted to go much higher I would have all kinds of lag. I know that The Witcher 2 is pretty graphics intensive so that's why I'm a little confused, as well as the fact that I've got a very outdated computer, I'll post the specs below. Anyway, does this just have to do with optimization for The Witcher in particular or is Deus Ex just more graphic intensive than even The Witcher?

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz
    4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus II Formula
    1024MB GeForce 9800 GT

10+ Year Old Account
    To the computer people!

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    To the computer people!
    Whoops sorry, didn't realize I'd posted in the wrong forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering your system -barely- scrapes above 'minimum' and is well below 'recommended', I'm not surprised that it runs meh.

That said, I've never even heard of "Can You Run It", so I can't really tell if it's good or not. The fact I haven't heard of it though might be an indicator that... it might not be the best benchmark?

Looking at some other benchmarks though, anything close to your setup wasn't even listed on the benchmarks due to being so low >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Considering your system -barely- scrapes above 'minimum' and is well below 'recommended', I'm not surprised that it runs meh.

That said, I've never even heard of "Can You Run It", so I can't really tell if it's good or not. The fact I haven't heard of it though might be an indicator that... it might not be the best benchmark?

Looking at some other benchmarks though, anything close to your setup wasn't even listed on the benchmarks due to being so low >.>
    I've used Can You Run It for a years now. It's pretty much always been reliable. Even with the outdated hardware though I've never had any problems playing any game. I may not get 60 fps but my computer stills runs most things fairly well and besides, I'm no performance junkie =3

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Minimum PC Specs:

- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0c
    - PROCESSOR: 2 GHz dual core
    - RAM: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB (Windows Vista and Windows 7)
    - GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better
    - REQUIRED DISC SPACE: 8.5 GB

Not that far above the minimum specs really.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

It told me I could not run Crysis 2 on minimum and I was able to run it on mostly medium settings(aside from shadows/AA/depth of field) on 1280x1024 screen resolution with a, mostly, steady ~30 fps throughout the game.

When in doubt, try a demo, when a demo is not available, look up the system requirements yourself if you know what hardware you got and compare. Most of the time you can squeeze by if your a tad below minimum.

The times I did use CYRI I was told I would not be able to run games due to my graphics card (9500gt) and the games ran fine. Other times it told me I had hardware that I did not have. Occasionally it detects my integrated graphics and ignores my graphics card and thats just makes me want to strangle em.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-05-10 at 03:41 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I was on the other end, with the site telling me i cant run most games and my pc ended up runing them just fine on med/high details.
    Just find a free demo or something, install it, try it and if you are sattisfied go buy it.

Deleted
    All what 'can you run it' does is compairing your system specs to the specs that are given by the producer of the game written on the retailboxes.
    It says nothing if you can actually run the game well or not, its not a benchmark or whatsoever.

In my opinion Can you run it is pretty useless for anyone who can read systemspecs for a game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sersel View Post
    All what 'can you run it' does is compairing your system specs to the specs that are given by the producer of the game written on the retailboxes.
    It says nothing if you can actually run the game well or not, its not a benchmark or whatsoever.

In my opinion Can you run it is pretty useless for anyone who can read systemspecs for a game.
    It's just a compare tool, yes, but it's easier to do it through CYRI than to manually compare your specs with the requirements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sersel View Post
    So, a tool that compares system requirements based on a set list and your own hardware is flawed.... but if you can read it yourself, you're fully prepared? You're comparing the exact same lists of hardware. Only difference being how it's done.

CYRI is nothing more than comparing the requirements set by a developer to your hardware.

Passing the minimum requirements is really hard to go by. It just means your rig can play it decently on the absolute lowest settings.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    It just means your rig can play it decently on the absolute lowest settings.
    Not even decently is required.

As said above all CYRI does is compare the minimum specs printed on the box against your computer. If some publisher writes down minimum specs where the game starts and runs at 1fps then CYRI says it's playable even if 1fps is not really playable. All borderline results of CYRI should be read as "if you put the game to absolute minimum settings and on 1024x768 resolution (which is often listed as the minimum screen size) it's somewhat playable".

The big thing ppl using CYRI need to understand it is that it only tells you if you can run it, not if it's playable or enjoyable.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.