Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can totally see what the op is getting at, immersion is a big part of games like wow and it's part of what makes it special. I never played in the days before wrath that much so I can't really say from experience, but I have to say that even in wrath when I went outside of Dalaran or any of the other capital cities I would at least find a few people, even if it was just for dailies and what not, but there were for sure people there. I would honestly love to see more world based content and maybe even some more world pvp content that is actually engaging and entertaining enough to make it popular with people actually participating.

Though some of the stuff wouldn't really work, the reason there are those level 90s protecting low level towns is because if they weren't, how many people would honestly make it out alive? You could just sit and gleefully let the low level guards that are protecting the town hit you as you giggle and their soft ticklish attacks, senselessly murdering anyone foolish enough to come round or try to even challenge you. I think phasing is a hard part to work with in the game since a lot of the more recent stuff requires it to be phased, like Krasarang Wilds for example, if there wasn't phasing you would have the people that were leveling there by quest and then all the level 90's that were partaking in the landfall events, it would really work to fit all that into one entire zone without stuff getting weird and compact. Making it so you had to travel more and actually explore and have a little mini adventure to get to the dungeons and raids and bgs does sound like fun, but honestly most people would still just sit in capital cities until two of their unlucky guild mates made it to the stone and simply summoned them, it wouldn't really fix anything on that part.
    As for putting all future expansions on Azeroth, I don't really feel like there is honestly much room left any more, with Northrend in the North, Eastern Kingdoms in the East, Kalimdor in the West and Pandaria in the South, along with the giant raging maelstrom churning at the middle of the sea, that only leaves the open oceans on the map for adding enough content areas for the needed places for an expansion to have. Going back to two points you brought up, the phasing and the do not add any new zones, how do you propose that happen? You can't just take the old zones and revamp them up to max levels and expect it to work like the old area it was for whatever level as well as working as the new higher level area. Phasing is a useful tool, and it helps get around problems like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    One other thing, minor I'm sure but worth noting:

You compliment BC as incredible while encouraging Blizzard to stay on Azeroth forevermore. A great deal of BC of course wasn't played out on Azeroth at all. So there's that.

And for what it's worth, Northrend and Pandaria are both on Azeroth proper.

Minor things but details matter when you're busy designing games.

As for BC servers: they're around and not hard to find if you're of a mind to. There isn't any sign though that millions are truly interested in playing on any of them.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

World of Warcraft has never been hardcore. A huge part of its success is it was much more casual compared to other mmorpg of the time. This is why it had such huge amount of subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    If only you understood...
    If I only understood what? In a game of 8 million people, you aren't gonna find people to talk to in Trade, Dungeons, etc? KeirAdish who also quoted you seems to be doing fine by chatting to people. So what am I failing to understand?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    As often as ppl might say they didn't like the addition of those things or want them gone so many would flip out if they did cut them out. The players lost wouldn't just magically flock back to the game with the changes either. So we would be left with a game filled, briefly, with unhappy players as the numbers dipped lower and lower. If they redid things on Azeroth with no new zones for future expansions it would come at the cost of cutting out older stuff and hurting the lvling of new toons/players and enrage so many over a reskinned reused Azeroth.
    this all the the points op mentioned would raise a reasonable shitstorm - back in the days when people and game was young - people could afford spending time that was wasted ie by running to your corpse - now all people left from 10 years ago have grown up and got jobs/kids/family and are thankfull for these changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    £108 is too much? It's half a day of working. rofl.
    Not everyone is a richguy and gets over 6k each month for them allone...

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes blizzard needs to take their head out of their asses and swallow their pride. the glory days are over.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    yes blizzard needs to take their head out of their asses and swallow their pride. the glory days are over.
    Shhh... go find the leaked information about the next expansion. It's out there if you look hard enough.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Adding convenience to an online game is like doing drugs. It feels good for a while, but in the longterm you're going to be stuck with it and only see how badly it ruined everything.
    Story of my life.

I'm sorry but every one of the OP's suggested "solutions" are things I absolutely would not want to be implemented. I love flying mounts and teleport abilities and all the things he wants removed or changed. The things I don't like include Heirloom items and Arenas.

I'm actually enjoying being able to log in when I want and do some dailies and an LFR or two. The pressure of having to be on at scheduled days and times even if there are other things I'd like to do instead is now gone. I can play or not as I wish and still see all the content in some form or another. I've become essentially a solo player no longer reliant on other people logging in to be able to play. Although it took an adjustment period to get used to it, I'm loving it now.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2013-05-10 at 02:13 PM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    There we go with more "save wow".

Blizzard has launched the best xpack since BC (is a shame because WotLK had the potential, the lore... but they screwed it making it so casual oriented)

WoW is GROWING, who cares they lose a million subs in the east? EU servers are as full as never before, same goes with US (except low pop ones of course, nothing new there)

Thing is, if you don'tl ike some things, jsut quit and stop moaning, but that's just my opinion ofc.
    I actually feel like all servers are dead, even Outland, Sylvanas, Stormscale etc, nothing compared to the population of WotLK IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    More character customization, when you like how your character looks, you'll want to play as it. Dance studio, damn it!

People cannot seem to make the very simple connection between "casual friendly" and WOW's extended product life cycle. No going back. Most people above 21 don't have the time to experience "old wow" for an extended period of time AND get to see all an expansion has to offer.

However, I do think the immersion analysis is a good one. Just don't think anyone has it better figured out than Blizzard as far as maximizing their subs as long as they have. I think we will see the same cycle of heavy grind to lighter grind per expansion until maybe Titan.

10+ Year Old Account
    God please Blizzard do this. Do this now. I don't think i could count the subscriber loss it would so enourmous.

Now for anyone who takes the OP seriously (and I'm relieved to see most of you have the good god damn sense not to) here's a little tip. QoL doesn't kill immersion. What killed immersion was the fact that you got bigger than the world. See the world didn't change, it's the same. You just got bigger and smarter and you saw the man behind the curtain. The real reason immersion is gone is not because of the game changing but because YOU DID.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-05-10 at 04:08 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    God please Blizzard do this. Do this now. I don't think i could count the subscriber loss it would so enourmous.

Now for anyone who takes the OP seriously (and I'm relieved to see most of you have the good god damn sense not to) here's a little tip. QoL doesn't kill immersion. What killed immersion was the fact that you got bigger than the world. See the world didn't change, it's the same. You just got bigger and smarter and you saw the man behind the curtain. The real reason immersion is gone is not because of the game changing but because YOU DID.
    Kinda like when they were kids and believes in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny... a kid's world shatters when they realize that their parents are Santa Claus and as such, when kids (gamers) grow up, what immersed them as kids isn't what immerses them now.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Kinda like when they were kids and believes in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny... a kid's world shatters when they realize that their parents are Santa Claus and as such, when kids (gamers) grow up, what immersed them as kids isn't what immerses them now.
    Yep. You aren't the kid you were when you started wow. You can't go back. Move on.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    Look. Seriously, removing flying mounts would be a fucking retarded call. Go play rift if you don't want to see the continent.

Yes, let's make the game as tedious and repetitive as possible. Only the people who care enough about the game to make it a second job deserve to enjoy it. You must earn everything through arbitrary timesinks designed to artificially prolong game time. You must play the game exactly how I enjoy it because my way of playing the game is substantially better than yours. WoW was better back in the old days when everything was "harder". It doesn't matter how many people enjoy the game as it is, my way is better.

Hell, while we're at it lets get rid of running. Normal people don't run around the city, nor do they run from place to place. Real adventurers walk to save their energy for a possible fight. Oh, we should also add fatigue bars too. Even better, we could make it so you had to eat three times a day and drink regularly. You must also sleep in a bed at night or you get a debuff because you're tired. Armor and weapons should have diminishing returns on repairs too, so eventually you can't fix them up to their fullest point and they break. Then you have to spend all that time getting the armor or buy it again.

I love immersion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoroth23 View Post
    I have returned after a 3 year break to see what has gone wrong with the game I played 6 times a week for 6 years of my life.
    I'm sorry to be the one to say it, but Nostalgia is a beast. If you are gone more than a few weeks this game changes drastically. Blizz has already made their stand on not reverting anything and they are not about to open classic or expansion specific realms. In fact, they have written over their original code dozens of times already and have no way or desire to revert back to a classic/TBC setting.

Source: Blizzard's Stance on Classic Realms

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    I'm curious as to what you found so fascinating that keeps you playing. I have rolled on private servers in the past (1.12, 2.4), and once the initial nostalgia wears off I get bored and go back to live. It just reminded me how far the game has come from the god-awful, gouge-my-eyes-out experience of leveling a prot warrior in vanilla.
    Well I guess I'm still leveling (@35) so I can't really say. Perhaps once I reach max level I may get bored or maybe lol up a horde toon since I'm on alliance. All I know is that live wow is unbearable and the 1.12 servers are so much fun. Maybe it's just the nostalgia. But I have always not liked the direction wow has gone in other than UI improvements and and the introduction of DR in pvp.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    op why not play on a vanilla private server. i'm 100% sure you won't like it one bit. all you did was revert things to save time.
    and alot of people have problem with MoP being not alt friendly because everyting takes times. there just things YOU like not what alot of people like.
    That's what I did and it's awesome. A 1x 1.12 server And will never play live again. I forgot wow used to be fun. Wow is complete garbage now. Expect less and less players. Game is dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Yep. You aren't the kid you were when you started wow. You can't go back. Move on.
    lol... you and I are in agreement on this (and I was agreeing with you when I made my post), nothing to 'move on'... I didnt start playing Wow until I was in my 40s.