Page 1 of 2
LastLast

why cant I macro 1-+?

Can someone explain why I cant make an in game macro that's something along the lines of

#showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Icebound Fortitude
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Rune Tap
    /cast [mod:shift] Vampiric Blood
    /cast [mod:alt] Anti-Magic Shell

macrod into the 1-+ part of the keyboard?

So that when I hit 1 + the mod, it changes in the UI and actual game to reflect what spell will be cast while holding down w/e modifier.

(IMPORTANT: This is using the bartender addon)

Is there some simple thing I'm missing here? I've been playing without knowing how to fix that for years now... and I finally decided to ask.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Sorry, clarification, the macro I used as an example is normally used alongside a mousebutton, just as the two on the sides!
    Last edited by The Ogdru Jahad; 2013-05-12 at 04:00 AM.

Are you asking for:

1 = IBF
    Ctrl-1 = Rune Tap
    Shift-1 = VB
    Alt-1 = AMS

if so, you need to unbind ctrl-1 shift-1 and alt-1 entirely; even if they're bound to an empty action slot that takes precedence over any mod: business in macros.

Deleted
    AFAIK that's not possible unless theres some form of addon for it. It will always shows IBF because it's the first spell on the macro.

Well, you couldnt use shift regardless because then you're hitting "!", in your example. I suspect this is precisely why blizz decided not to allow those bindings in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Well, you couldnt use shift regardless because then you're hitting "!", in your example. I suspect this is precisely why blizz decided not to allow those bindings in wow.
    oh I dont mean as in the +/= key, I mean + as in, in addition to. I mean, for the macro I used as an example I hold mouse buttons + cthe modifer.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I use the following macro for my rogue:

#showtooltip
    /startattack
    /cast [modifier:Alt] Dispatch; Mutilate

and have it on my #2 button. When I press '2' I use Mutilate, and if I hold 'alt' and press '2' I use Dispatch.
    Also, holding 'alt' actually changes the button: tooltip shows Mutilate unless I press 'alt' and I see it change to Dispatch.

You can use this as an example, it works on 1-+, you may need to rebind the default shift 1-+ though. I am not sure if you can use a shift and crtl or alt mod in the same macro however.

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] Hammer of the Righteous; Crusader Strike

This might work...
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Hibernate; [mod:shift] Entangling Roots; Cyclone

Just tested with
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Word of Glory; [mod:alt] Flash of Light; [mod:shift]Hammer of the Righteous; Crusader Strike

It worked fine, the main thing that might be preventing your macro from working are the default ctrl/alt/shift binds which take precedence over macros, just undbind or rebind the default keys and it should work.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2013-05-12 at 04:15 AM.

You can make macros exactly like that. Almost every button on my action bars are conditional macros such as that. I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.

And the icon does update in real time, according to whichever Modifier is being held down, including cooldown counters and whatever. This is doable in the default UI, so shouldn't be a problem for an action bar addon to replicate... since it's built into the macro system, not actually the action bars.. Also, Shift-1 is actually Shift, plus 1, not !. ! is not a button... 1, is.

For instance, my priest has the following macro on the E button on the keyboard;

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Smite
    /cast [mod:shift] Shadowfiend
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Mass Dispel
    /cast [mod:alt] Hymn of Hope

The only oddity about these macros is, if you don't specify an ability for all possible modifiers (CTRL, Shift, ALT), say you specify CTRL+Key to be an ability, but don't add any abilities for Shift-Key and ALT-Key, whenever you push Shift or Alt, you'll get the ugly red questionmark icon to appear as long as the key is held down. Doesn't actually cause any problem, it just looks a bit ugly sometimes.

Not sure if this is really what you were asking though, it's hard to really understand what you mean to be fair.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2013-05-12 at 04:11 AM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just tested it out live, and you can use this macro for what you need

#showtooltip
    /cast [modifier:Alt] Anti-Magic Shell; [modifier:Ctrl] Rune Tap; [modifier: Shift] Vampiric Blood; Icebound Fortitude

This macro will do what you want, though I do not know if it works in Bartender, but works with nothing. (and yes, you CAN use 'Shift' as a modifier). So if you placed the macro on button '1', it will show Icebound Fortitude naturally, change to Anti-Magic Shell if you hold 'alt', Rune Tap if you hold 'ctrl', and Vampiric Blood if you hold 'shift'

I dont understand the problem. If you have the macro written as that, all you have to do is drag the icon to your action bar. And then you hold the mod key before you hit the number key (1-+)

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you may need to write it differently. You're basically asking it to cast up to 4 abilities at once, which I'm not sure if it even works the way you have it.
    If you're just looking to use one at a time, you would write it like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:alt] Anti-Magic Shell; [mod:shift] Vampiric Blood; [mod:ctrl] Rune Tap; Icebound Fortitude

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    I think you may need to write it differently. You're basically asking it to cast up to 4 abilities at once, which I'm not sure if it even works the way you have it.

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:alt] Anti-Magic Shell; [mod:shift] Vampiric Blood; [mod:ctrl] Rune Tap; Icebound Fortitude
    I agree, I think the other way wont change the tooltip until AFTER you cast it. using the single-cast macro like I and Cinnamohn made actually changes the tooltip on the button when you press the modifier before casting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post

#showtooltip
    Untrue; the macro doesn't ask for casting more than one spell at a time, unless several of the modifiers are active at the same time (i.e. you hold Shift and CTRL at the same time, or similar). Actually I'm not sure if even that breaks it; if you hold both Shift and CTRL at the same time, I think the macro treats that as yet another modifier ( [mod:shift,ctrl] ). It's quite robust.

In the case of the original macro

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Icebound Fortitude
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Rune Tap
    /cast [mod:shift] Vampiric Blood
    /cast [mod:alt] Anti-Magic Shell
    Icebound Fortitude will only ever be cast, if neither Shift, nor CTRL, nor Alt, is being held down.

Rune Tap, will only ever be cast if CTRL is held down - in which case, none of the other conditions are true, so, only Rune Tap will be activated - the other abilities are not activated, nor attempted to be activated.

I don't understand why not a lot of people use macros like that; I personally have almost a full action bar of them... It's so powerful to have 4 abilities per button, versus just 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Physicsguy View Post
    I agree, I think the other way wont change the tooltip until AFTER you cast it. using the single-cast macro like I and Cinnamohn made actually changes the tooltip on the button when you press the modifier before casting anything.

Also untrue, the macro updates instantaneously. The exact moment you hit Shift, or CTRL, or Alt, the tooltip and icon (and cooldown, if applicable) changes to the relevant spell. There's really no need for the semicolon macro, it just looks messy and doesn't actually achieve anything.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2013-05-12 at 04:24 AM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia View Post
    you'll get the ugly red questionmark icon to appear as long as the key is held down.
    It should also be noted that they should select the ugly red question mark when making the macro, as that should be the only one that makes the macro auto-update its icon when on the action bars.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ya, I tried both ways and they both work, both updating the tooltip right away. However, I think I know why it isn't working for the OP, you need a space ' ' after 'mod:' before naming the modifier. I couldn't get the multiple line macro to work at first until I noticed this.
    Last edited by Physicsguy; 2013-05-12 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling

You can make macros exactly like that. Almost every button on my action bars are conditional macros such as that. I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.

And the icon does update in real time, according to whichever Modifier is being held down, including cooldown counters and whatever. This is doable in the default UI, so shouldn't be a problem for an action bar addon to replicate... since it's built into the macro system, not actually the action bars.. Also, Shift-1 is actually Shift, plus 1, not !. ! is not a button... 1, is.

For instance, my priest has the following macro on the E button on the keyboard;

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Smite
    /cast [mod:shift] Shadowfiend
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Mass Dispel
    /cast [mod:alt] Hymn of Hope

The only oddity about these macros is, if you don't specify an ability for all possible modifiers (CTRL, Shift, ALT), say you specify CTRL+Key to be an ability, but don't add any abilities for Shift-Key and ALT-Key, whenever you push Shift or Alt, you'll get the ugly red questionmark icon to appear as long as the key is held down. Doesn't actually cause any problem, it just looks a bit ugly sometimes.

Not sure if this is really what you were asking though, it's hard to really understand what you mean to be fair.
    UGH yes, I HATE that. I really wish there was a way to make it so that if you press a mod that doesn't have a spell assigned to it, it just continues to show the default spell. So that it ONLY changes if there is a different spell.

There's no need for a space, other than after the /cast bit;

Code:
    /cast [mod:Shift]Polymorph
    or
    Code:
    /castsequence [mod:Shift]Polymorph,iceblock,Arcane Missiles
    Are both valid.

Code:
    /cast[mod:shift] Polymorph
    Is not valid, because the first "sentence" after / is read in it's entirety; but as long as there's a space after the initial command, the rest of the line in the macro can be totally compacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Physicsguy View Post
    I use the following macro for my rogue:

#showtooltip
    /startattack
    /cast [modifier:Alt] Dispatch; Mutilate

and have it on my #2 button. When I press '2' I use Mutilate, and if I hold 'alt' and press '2' I use Dispatch.
    Also, holding 'alt' actually changes the button: tooltip shows Mutilate unless I press 'alt' and I see it change to Dispatch.
    Now with something like this, I made one that had a spell for default, ctrl, shift, and alt. All of them worked except ctrl. So when I pressed ctrl + 4 for example, the spell associated with it didn't register. Whats wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    Now with something like this, I made one that had a spell for default, ctrl, shift, and alt. All of them worked except ctrl. So when I pressed ctrl + 4 for example, the spell associated with it didn't register. Whats wrong here?
    CTRL-4 is bound to something else, somewhere in your UI. Better check for it in the keybinds!

By default (i think?), Shift-1, Shift-2, Shift-3, etc, is bound to changing the page for your main action bar. This takes priority over macros - so, instead of activating your shiny [mod:shift] macro placed on the 1 button on the action bar, it changes pages. Or just doesn't do anything. If you make sure Shift-1, isn't keybound to anything, then it'll work. Etc, same goes for any key combo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    UGH yes, I HATE that. I really wish there was a way to make it so that if you press a mod that doesn't have a spell assigned to it, it just continues to show the default spell. So that it ONLY changes if there is a different spell.

There's a really silly way to make it look better. I do this, personally;

Lets imagine this macro only has 2 spells in it, but I want to avoid the ugly question mark;

Code:
    /cast [nomod] Penance
    /cast [mod:Shift] Smite
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Penance
    /cast [mod:alt] Penance
    So, you just repeat the first spell, for the remaining modifiers. This way, if I'm pushing Alt for whatever reason, the macro still shows a pretty Penance icon, instead of [?]. Additionally, the button still actually works; if you accidentally are holding CTRL or whatever, and hit the macro button, it'll work as you expected, instead of fizzling and doing nothing.

If you have really complex macros, there isn't room to do that - because it's full of actually useful stuff. In that case, you just have to live with it unfortunately :\
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2013-05-12 at 05:05 AM.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's no need for a space, other than after the /cast bit;

Code:
    /cast [mod:Shift]Polymorph
    or
    Code:
    /castsequence [mod:Shift]Polymorph,iceblock,Arcane Missiles
    Are both valid.

Code:
    /cast[mod:shift] Polymorph
    Is not valid, because the first "sentence" after / is read in it's entirety; but as long as there's a space after the initial command, the rest of the line in the macro can be totally compacted.
    OK, relooked, and my problem was it wouldn't work if I forgot '[nomod]'. Without it, all I see and do is the '/cast SPELL' line and it ignores all the other lines, though it isn't needed on the single line macro.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 12:01 AM ----------

CTRL-4 is bound to something else, somewhere in your UI. Better check for it in the keybinds!

By default (i think?), Shift-1, Shift-2, Shift-3, etc, is bound to changing the page for your main action bar. This takes priority over macros - so, instead of activating your shiny [mod:shift] macro placed on the 1 button on the action bar, it changes pages. Or just doesn't do anything. If you make sure Shift-1, isn't keybound to anything, then it'll work. Etc, same goes for any key combo.

There's a really silly way to make it look better. I do this, personally;

Lets imagine this macro only has 2 spells in it, but I want to avoid the ugly question mark;

Code:
    /cast [nomod] Penance
    /cast [mod:Shift] Smite
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Penance
    /cast [mod:alt] Penance
    So, you just repeat the first spell, for the remaining modifiers. This way, if I'm pushing Alt for whatever reason, the macro still shows a pretty Penance icon, instead of [?].

If you have really complex macros, there isn't room to do that - because it's full of actually useful stuff. In that case, you just have to live with it unfortunately :\
    That is what I like most about the single line macro, you don't have to assign the other modifiers if you don't want to. I don't get any red ? at all. However, if nothing is assigned to say 'ctrl' ctrl+2 will do nothing even thought the tooltip is showing the regular spell.