Poll: Legacy Realms

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Legacy Realms - What's your verdict

Well? What does everyone (both current and past subscribers) say?

Deleted
    I would definetly support them, if the Legacy realms you are talking about would be like Vanilla, Tbc or Wotlk realms. But first Blizz should do something about the dying realms.

That's exaclty what I mean, a realm dedicated to running a particularly flavor of the game, with say the final patch from that era's level.

I don't really care about legacy realms. I Started in wrath, but do I wish to go back and stay on wrath content forever? No. I got enough of raiding wrath content and doing wrath content when it was relevant and around for several years. Besides, they said no. They would all join the servers, then leave when it got boring, which it did and will. Everyone will play the most op class at the time the realm is set too. People quit because they get bored at the end of an expansion. Its how my guild is still trying to rebuild. Legacy realms won't be a reality. It would be nothing more then a phase. Everyone would love it and play on it for a few months. Then when they realize Nothing will ever change on that realm, they will quit.

What draw is there for raiders? Raid naxx, then ulduar, then ToC, then ICC. Then what? Raid ICC every week indefinite? What about the PvPers? No change in balance. Ever. No adjustments in numbers. Just the same class being the top every season from start to finish. What about the daily people? That is the only ones who would be happy. Bottom line, the server will end up the same way as the expansion does. Empty and boring with no appeal to anyone but newer players just seeing it for the first time.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2013-05-13 at 03:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People would lose interest shortly after they discovered there were no new patches (ever,) classes were completely out of balance, and the servers had absolutely no contemporary upkeep.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-05-13 at 02:57 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm not going to play a fire mage without hot streak, or a hunter without focus. 10 second rotation was boring as hell...

Wouldn't play a druid without Balance being viable, or eclipse, or a Pally without Ret viability, or a warrior without Titan's Grip, or a Lock without Meta.

"But grisset, those came out in BC/Wrath!" To that I say MoPs content (raids, quests, zones) are better. As is the new talent system.
    Last edited by grisset; 2013-05-13 at 02:57 AM.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Not enough people would support it for long enough that it would be financially viable.

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 02:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    People would lose interest shortly after they discovered there were no new patches, ever, classes were completely out of balance, and the servers had absolutely no contemporary upkeep.
    And this is the reason.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being a day 1 player, I would play a vanilla realm. I don't think I would spend that much time on there, but I would definitely try it out.

The game has changed drastically since those days though, I almost presume that I wouldn't even like it, playing it would probably ruin the cherished memories I have..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    Well? What does everyone (both current and past subscribers) say?
    As much as you might like this idea, Blizzard has said on more than one occasion, they are moving forward, not going backward. offering legacy realms is exactly that, moving backwards. And, I'm of the opinion that it will last about as long as a FOTM class/spec does... when the novelity wears off (long before the cost of creating the servers is recouped) you'll either quit or come back to reality.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think all the nostalgia monkeys would flock to it screaming 'Vanilla WoW! Oh my beautiful, untainted, pandaless vanilla WoW!' play for about 10min and realize how shallow, unbalanced and 'this isn't actually as awesome as I remembered' it is.

Not that it matters. This is something that is never, ever happening. Blizz has said that time and time again. Why there are so many topics about something they are never going to do (they've stated emphatically 'no, never') is beyond me.

I think the novelty of these servers would wear off very quickly. I wouldn't bother with them for more than a short period, maybe for RP purposes.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd definitely check out vanilla.

Old AV for the win!

I'd miss my goblins though.

Legacy servers should be an option. Honestly, there are dozens of realms they could probably merge already because they're underpopulated. Merge the shit realms and start up legacy realms in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    Being a day 1 player, I would play a vanilla realm. I don't think I would spend that much time on there, but I would definitely try it out.
    This is the exact response they expect. Most would try but wouldn't stay long.

Obviously I don't think a TON of people would go to the legacy realms if they existed. I mean it wouldn't be millions or anything, the current servers (whatever current was) would be by far the most popular.

However legacy realms COULD be profitable. You could setup a small number of each and have it be known there is no support, no patches, no GM's, or anything for it. So you wouldn't have much overhead cost.

Even if you only got a few hundred thousand on each of the legacy realms and charged them $10 a month or something, surely that's more profitable than having a bunch of ex-subscribers not paying anything.

People wouldn't play these servers long term, but I mean even if everyone just came back for 3-6 months to get their nostaligia fix, WoW has many many many millions of ex players and that represents a ton of revenue potentially.

I know Blizzard has said they won't do it, but if the demand for it grows I wouldn't be surprised at one day it becoming a possibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which patch would the servers operate on? Would people have new talents or old? Would warriors still be the only viable tanks? When would new patches be released? What would happen after the final patch had been released, would servers start over?
    Look! Words!

I dont care much for them.. the game has improved since. so good bye to them days
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

So that people can complain about bugs and balance issues on those realms on top of current realms?! That is just ridiculous. No.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Which patch would the servers operate on? Would people have new talents or old? Would warriors still be the only viable tanks? When would new patches be released? What would happen after the final patch had been released, would servers start over?
    As I'm picturing, and as would probably be easiest and cheapest for Blizzard, the legacy realms would exists EXACTLY as the game was as of a particularly patch level (which patch it is you could debate, the final path? Start with the earliest patch and release the next one every so often, etc.)

But Blizzard would clearly not want to devote any "new" development time to old code. Thus everything would be as it was, talents, professions, quests, all as they were on that patch level.

But this is all just speculation of course.

I would switch to a cata realm. NOT