Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    To try and get on topic a bit!

I will go with.

1) You only need to buy the current expansion to get access, or at very worst £10 for battle chest that includes everything up to the current expansion.

2) Free (with a 90 day cooldown) server transfer, race/faction/name change stay as they are you can pay to move outside of the 90 day CD as you can now.

3) Add something unique (something a bit out of the box).

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Indeed, I admitted to that.

My point still stands: If they have the data AND some of the best designers and over 20 years of experience in the field: What makes you think we as random forum posters have a clue.

And if you want to say "Well, sometimes it needs somebody to think outside the box" - fair enough: But who of the people "thinking outside the box" on this forum or from the hundred thousand posters are you gonna pick and by what measure?
    Well I guess we will never know since the past is the past and can't be redone, but I still think MoP was a poor theme to follow up to Cata, as were features such as the dreadful Golden Lotus grind (I've heard multiple rants on that from friends who continued to play and mainly wanted to just RAID). Of course they picked it before they realized that Cata was bleeding subs and a lot of people hated it, so, not much else they could have done by then.... but it feels like they went with a theme that was really love it or hate it. Hence why I think they should go with a story with as close to universal appeal as possible. Obviously they can't please everyone, and I'm biased by what I didn't like about Cata and what made me decide not to play MoP, but while some suggestions are really out there (the dance studio), I don't think all are - I think suggestions that are less about exactly restoring the game to x time and more about reducing burnout by doing things like reducing time spent on content a player actively doesn't want to do but feels obligated to participate in to be able to do the content they prefer - like "make non-raid content give less of an advantage to people who mainly raid" or "make leveling alts less painful like in WotLK (cold weather tome etc)" are pretty reasonable and the kind of things Blizzard should be paying attention to.

From the perspective gained with distance and time, I can now see that while there were many things I just wasn't going to like about Cata no matter what (healing model, poorly executed Deathwing story, lame final boss fight) the greatest contribution to my burnout was feeling obligated to do things like LFR multiple times gearing a few mains at a time to have the best advantage for the content I did like. And while it sounds like that LFR problem was solved, it sounds like in MoP the problem was equally bad in other ways - dailies, reps, etc. I totally understand having content like dailies and rep - I love doing those things when I want to kill some time for achievement points. But how much of the game should hardcore raiders have to complete just to have the best shot at what they mainly play for? For more casual examples - the guy who just loves to have lots of alts - how many times should he have to drag himself through on a ground mount because Blizzard wants to force an "experience" the player already completed on other character(s)?

In conclusion, as a person who is now 7 years older than when I started playing WoW, is no longer in college, has a job that requires a more significant time commitment, and is planning to have a child very soon, I know what would bring me back, and keep me subscribed - and that is being able to log in several times a week, participate in the part of the game that I enjoy, and not feel like I am being crippled, at a disadvantage, and no longer able to be in the kind of guild I used to be in because I don't have to time to spend hours on dailies and other things in addition to 4 hours a night of raiding. If I am going to have to spend a LOT of time on my non preferred part of the game in order to play the part I prefer, then as an adult with other responsibilities, I just can't realistically play ever again. I'm not saying have less things to do - but more of these things should be truly, in every way, optional, and not give any real advantage to other unrelated aspects of the game. I don't need to be able to fill 8 hours a day 7 days a week with WoW. I just want to be able to play a part of the game that is fun to me and that is what would make me play again and keep me subscribed - as long as the content was good too, but even if the raids were good I can't do so much extra time anymore.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-05-13 at 08:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a problem imo, the game is old, there is also a much wider market for online games as well.

Been said already, most of the sub numbers were lost in Asia. It would be better if they have NA/Europe numbers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Wouldn't be good examples for me. Dance studio interests me less than zero and character models are eye candy. In fact, I would probably be a Dance Studio hater like people here are pet battle haters.

I am only saying this to point out once more how hard it is to seriously find something that hits home with a huge chunk of the community and draws in the numbers.
    Feel free to come up with something else. What does interest you?

Prettier characters

Deleted
    I don't agree with all the people saying that this is just a regular lull in subscriptions. Lulls like this in the past always happened inbetween Expansions, usually in the months after the final raid patch where a lot of people had cleared all the content and had run out of things to do. This subscription loss has happened in the middle of an expansion, barely months after it was released and nowhere near the final patch release. Don't you see how bad that is? Even Cataclysm didn't suffer significant subsciptions loses until Dragon Soul had been released for awhile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazmeme View Post
    the players in here pretending that WoW losing subs is some sign of it dying or being bad are just plain stupid.

WoW is coming up its 9th year, its had over 8 million players for almost 9 years straight....nothing has even come close to that in terms of play to pay mmos.

people need to realize that new games come out, and people want to try new things, not new WoW things, whole new games. so they unsub and go play something else. for example, when SWTOR came out, i unsubbed to WoW to go try it, didnt enjoy it, came back to WoW

get over yourselves people, WoW one day will have 6 million subs, then 5 million, then 4 million, etc. are you really gonna flip out and scream "THE GAME IS DEAD" at each point?
    I rather play an old game that I think is fun rather than a new game that´s boring.

What made me quit was that they took a good game and changed it into poop. The game didn´t lost 1,3 million players because it was old, Blizzard changed the game so much from fun into boring. That´s the reason people left the game!

Reduce forced grinds in exchange for actual fun, and merge servers so people stuck on crappy realms no longer quit.

I would also add that going free to play would help, but apparently the goal is subscribers rather than players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    Go back from Activision Blizzard to Blizzard of the north?
    Blizzard North has absolutely nothing to do with WoW, they did Diablo, Diablo 2, and Diablo 2:LoD. Just shows how much little you actually know about the now merged Activision Blizzard.

All they can do is release more content, faster releases isn't always necessarily better, especially if there isn't much content in a patch but one raid and a daily zone.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2013-05-13 at 09:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't ever expect an increase of subs back past Wrath.
    The newer generation of gamers have stuck to casual games like CoD, or f2p games like LoL.

Subs will increase on 5.4 and expansions, then they decrease and increase as people get bored/new content is added.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    In conclusion, as a person who is now 7 years older than when I started playing WoW, is no longer in college, has a job that requires a more significant time commitment, and is planning to have a child very soon, I know what would bring me back, and keep me subscribed - and that is being able to log in several times a week, participate in the part of the game that I enjoy, and not feel like I am being crippled, at a disadvantage, and no longer able to be in the kind of guild I used to be in because I don't have to time to spend hours on dailies and other things in addition to 4 hours a night of raiding. If I am going to have to spend a LOT of time on my non preferred part of the game in order to play the part I prefer, then as an adult with other responsibilities, I just can't realistically play ever again.
    I am really really confused about this.

To me your describing exactly how MoP is right now, now I 100% admit that putting Valor gear behind dailies rep at the start of MoP was wrong but you do know this is not how it is right now right? (and they admitted that was a bad idea).

In 4.3 in cata you geared up by smashing you face into the same 5 mans over and over again.

In 5.2 you gear up by doing all variety of things.

You earn Valor by doing whatever you want (Dailies, 5 mans, challenge modes, scenarios etc etc).

You get elder coins for the 5.0 raids by partaking in the isle.

The 5.2 valor gear is behind LFR rep, there are 4 bits (soon to be 5) that are locked behind having to run 1 wing of ToT LFR,

Me and a friend (who was main switching) got him from Greens to 482 in two weekend with very little effort and doing a variety of things (Heroics, Scenerios, LFR some Dailies) I much prefer this method to smashing my face into the same 3 5 mans over and over again.

You know you never going to get gear at the same rate as people who can commit more time to the game through right?

Deleted
    redirect the game lorewise, reshape content to be up to date (silvermoon,outlands,etc) the character talent trees should be as it used to be, and by all means bring back the "unbalanced" classes. classes should be different, need to be unique and game become more challenging

First blizzard need to change it: buying MoP should be enough to receive all addons at once. Battlechest should provide all previous addons including MoP. After the release of the next expansion player of the battlechest should automatically gain MoP.

This would make it easier to catch up for new players.

Change alterac back to it former glory and maybe give us a new Battleground with a mixture of PvE and PvP. The PvE-Part should not decide the Battleground, but it should greatly help to win it.

PvE would be nice to bring back gigantic non-linear Instances like Blackrock Depths. People can join the instance with friends and can kill all bosses they want. LFD need to kill 3 bosses that were randomly chosen and then the end boss (similar to endtime). They can also kill all bosses they want, but to complete the instance they need to kill the chosen 3 to unlock the endboss.

Also non-linear raids would be nice too: optional bosses that are harder than the normal ones; in LFR it can be done to allow people to sign in for the boss but you should be not be forced to kill them to get to the next wing. Like in the normal raid they are optional.

There are more things but i think that are the important ones.

Quote Originally Posted by FixDestruNow View Post
    They need to bring back the old talent tree since this one doesn´t feel rewarding when you lvl up. They also need to remove the farmfest for valor and rep if they´re gonna release content faster. Why farm your butt off for an item when there´s soon a new patch with better items? They shouldn´t force players to play the speccs they don´t want to play just to get most dmg out of their char. They should merge servers to solve the low population servers. They should remove LFR since it´s a content destroyer, there is always youtube for the folks that want to see all the content. They should remove the same lockout for 10 - 25man, bring back the Wrath model since that one worked. Blizzard really should listen more to their community and stop being soo arrogant like they´ve been the last few years. They also should fix the pvp problems, not all people like to play pve.

That´s some of the problems atm.
    not rewarding? the new talent tree is much more rewarding. what is the point of you clicking to gain a new core spell or blizzard does it for you because you would have taking it alrdy. and now you can take spells/skills that basicly all do the same yet act diffrently. so you can change it on the fly when a encounter asks for it.(not that you need for it while leveling)

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    I am really really confused about this.

To me your describing exactly how MoP is right now, now I 100% admit that putting Valor gear behind dailies rep at the start of MoP was wrong but you do know this is not how it is right now right? (and they admitted that was a bad idea).

In 4.3 in cata you geared up by smashing you face into the same 5 mans over and over again.

In 5.2 you gear up by doing all variety of things.

You earn Valor by doing whatever you want (Dailies, 5 mans, challenge modes, scenarios etc etc).

You get elder coins for the 5.0 raids by partaking in the isle.

The 5.2 valor gear is behind LFR rep, there are 4 bits (soon to be 5) that are locked behind having to run 1 wing of ToT LFR,

Me and a friend (who was main switching) got him from Greens to 482 in two weekend with very little effort and doing a variety of things (Heroics, Scenerios, LFR some Dailies) I much prefer this method to smashing my face into the same 3 5 mans over and over again.

You know you never going to get gear at the same rate as people who can commit more time to the game through right?
    In BC, except for getting attuned once in the dungeons early on and getting enough gear to start the first tier, it pretty much felt all I had to do was 1. raid 2. get consumables somehow (buy, farm, whatever). I miss the days when outside of a few random crafted things or gearing to start the first tier, raid gear came from raids and nothing else, and people who only raided were really not at a disadvantage as long as they got gold somehow. As I had excessive free time back in those days, I did do other things - but I never felt like I HAD to.

As for be able to commit more time, I'd think the amount of hours I spent just on the raiding, even excluding everything else, was quite a lot in itself. 30 hours a week was still a lot, plus adding in any travel time, grabbing consumables, etc. Why can't the rewards from other parts of the game be things that are useless for killing the latest hard mode boss?

As I've said, if there's a Legion expansion, I'd love to play it, I LOVE LOVE that part of the WoW storyline - but I have a feeling I'd quit after hitting whatever the level cap is, because I just am not able to enjoy normal mode raids and I won't be able to devote a huge amount of non raid time to the game after the initial leveling period. Perhaps it's better in MoP now as most of what I know was from beta/early live, but I'm not convinced they won't do something like that again in the next expac.

It feels like Blizzard thinks the way to keep people subscribed is "have so many things to do that a person never runs out of stuff they feel they have to do even if they hate some of it" but in my experience that leads to burnout. "Have quality content for each type of player so that the time they spend is fun enough to keep wanting to play without feeling they have to do a lot of other things just to do what they like" makes a lot more sense to me.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-05-13 at 09:34 AM.

8 year old games don't gain players, simple as that. Doesn't matter how great they make it (and I believe they have done a GREAT job with this expac), the game style itself has been played to death at this point. They will of course keep supporting the game as long as people keep playing, but don't expect its numbers to grow when the entire industry is shifting away from this genre.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    not rewarding? the new talent tree is much more rewarding. what is the point of you clicking to gain a new core spell or blizzard does it for you because you would have taking it alrdy. and now you can take spells/skills that basicly all do the same yet act diffrently. so you can change it on the fly when a encounter asks for it.(not that you need for it while leveling)
    Sounds boring as hell if you ask me. Imo You shouldn´t have to respecc all the time while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobblez View Post
    As the title suggest, what do you think Blizzard can do with WoW to gain more subs, and make up for the colossal drop in Subscribers? Will releasing more content, and reducing all the annoying things people complain about help? Or do you see Blizzard going F2P with WoW in the future. Which would for sure, inflate the Sub numbers.
    What do you think is the best solution for Blizzards crisis with subscribers?

p.s. If there is another topic made about this matter, I apologize.
    1) Drop monthly price to about $7-$10 range
    2) update graphics, they pushed this 2002 graphic engine as far as they could revamp all the graphics at least to 2010+ status.
    3) Make the lore darker, the game is called WARcraft for a reason, its suppose to be bloody and violent and hellish.
    4) Keep all the casual stuff the LFR, but establish a new elite hardcore tier of raid that would require guilds to run raids like before.
    5) Bring back 40 man raids
    6) More rewards and incentive to PVP non instances, encourage city raids with mounts and rare rewards, its a game of war, bring back that element.
    7) Guild housing reward the guilds that play hard and work hard in game.
    8) more integration into smart phone and tablets, certain aspects of the game should be playable on tablets.
    9) Multi day raids, they need to make more epic/very long raids, like a cavern of time, where the guild can only do the first 6 bosses after unlock, then they must rest and wait til the next day to unlock the next 6, then the next 6 the day after, the point is give people a challenge, don't just push the challenge as only being an aspect of easy or hard, but challenge guilds to organize and plan and make players have to come together to get things done.

See the game has lost that edge, when I started I was very casual (the start of BC), but the game seemed to still kept me busy and kept me pining and wishing I can get all the super elite 40 man raid gear (which I never did get) but thats ok, it kept me trying kept me playing. The game needs to be inclusive, give a wide range of players something to do, yet it needs to only reward those who really do work hard and try hard. The game reached a good balance of keeping casual busy as well as hardcore players, during the BC-LK days, but then it felt like Cata was when things really just came unwind, and the wheels came lose.

Quote Originally Posted by FixDestruNow View Post
    Sounds boring as hell if you ask me. Imo You shouldn´t have to respecc all the time while playing.
    but what is the point of the old talent tree? the new talent tree is basicly the old talent tree + someting extra. the simple static +dmg talents where boring. and far from rewarding. like 1% extra fireball dmg is going to be rewarding when your leveling.

This expac is a total burnout for some players, I usd to be addicted to wow until this expac came out, now i find myself watching netflix instead of wanting to raid. I think all of the grinding for rep, mogu coins, dailys, capping conquest and valor all add some stress to the game that wasnt there before. Its just not as fun now.