Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I miss a lot of the stuff that made it feel like a real world, instead of a game.

First time I travelled to ironforge to learn to use axes or whatever. It felt like I was seeking out some old master, the only one of his kind to teach my how to use a weapon.

Bows and quivers and the like. Annoying for sure, but it felt like an actual world. Plus you could see the quiver on your character model.

Going to your trainer to learn to skills.

Quests that actually took you around the world instead of on a linear zone by zone path.

I miss the adventure...it's turned into an arcade game.

Deleted
    different raid sizes
    old talent tree
    bring back the actual lore story into the game
    old naxxramas with the leggendaries
    old dungeons as they used to be brd, sunken temple etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Eyes of the Beast, five times.

Dungeon and Raid attunements. <_< I don't mean something that requires a group or even a small raid to accomplish, just solo-able quests to prep a player for something "new." And to show them how the heck to get to the damn instance should they die or something.

Have Group, Will Travel (mass summon?)

Class quests (group or solo, I really don't care - group would be more fun for me, as I'd get to help friends and see THEIR class quests as well)

Server separation (CRZ hasn't helped anything in my experience thus far - the only time I see other players is when it comes to hunting down rares, the rest of the zone is just as deserted as it was prior to CRZ going in [well, that's not true, I guess I see more players in the cities that aren't supposed to have CRZ in them - and anywhere there's an AH])

Elite NPCs out in the world to keep your eyes peeled for. I always found them simple enough to avoid, anyway (or just don't stop running - not to be confused with NPCs that would one shot you).

Quest text involving actual directions, rather than simply place names or worse, simply a kill/collect count (forcing the player to look it up, or open their map for the glowing blue spot, which is pretty inaccurate often enough to annoy me). That was one of the things that REALLY impressed me way, waaaay back in the day - I'd played other MMORPGs and they gave place names to head to rather than directions from the quest giver's location. That WoW's quest givers spoke like people would to someone clearly new to the area made me all kinds of happy. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but ... maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    All I want, is above.
    i agree with you, mass summen damm i am still missing that everytime a lazy slacker says. summ

1. Nowadays it's just 5 levels per zone (With only the non-contested zones as an exception) http://www.wowpedia.org/Zones_by_level compared to http://www.wowpedia.org/Zones_by_level_(original) where the levels of the zones could go from 18 to 30 or 30 to 45 from start to finish. However instead of completely changing it back to the original formula just add some Bronze Dragonflight guys in each zone that allows you to go back and forth between Vanilla zones and Cata zones.
    2. 10 Levels per expansion.
    3. Actually dark nights rather than just a change of skybox
    4. WotLK talent trees.
    5. Elite NPC’s like the Sons of Arugal roaming the world.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I never understood this line of reasoning. If you are flying, your ground mounts will be collecting dust. Things are being "wasted" all the same.
    How many meta-achievements award ground mounts? How about gladiator mounts, how many of those are ground mounts? How about rare drops from hard mode bosses, lot of ground mounts there?

...there's my reasoning. Removing those pisses on 6 years of in-game achievements. People want to show off their mounts because they want a visual display of their accomplishments. Same reason item transmog. was the best thing WoW's added since the Ulduar hard more triggers.

GC personally feels flying mounts should be used for long distance travel only. I agree. But that said, I feel we move too slowly in WoW. Roads should increase mount speed. Cities should give a movement speed buff like the shrine, maybe even have transportation to get you from one part to another quickly.
    I lend no special weight to GC's opinions, as many of his changes lack finesse, and his team has demonstrated that it can't see around corners when it comes to game mechanics. In fact, he seems unwilling to even consider alternatives. ["Artiste Syndrome", my friends in game design call such behavior.]

Case and point: Why not seed the skies with creatures that can't dismount? Or add mounted combat (an often-requested feature) and seed the skies with creatures you fight while mounted? Skettis sure didn't make you feel invincible, now did it?

There needs to be areas in the game where you can't just fly over everything. I mean have you ever watched any fantasy film where the protagonists just fly to their destination? No.
    Yes. Neverending Story. Krull. Clash of the Titans, original and remake. Adventures of Baron von Munchausen. The Hobbit. Harry Potter's preferred travel method is a flying broomstick. Indiana Jones' preferred travel method is a dotted red line with propellers roaring. Aladdin has a flying carpet.

Fantasy films where all travel is overland are rare. What you mean to say is "did they do it in Lord of the Rings". If you bothered to pick up the book, the answer is "yes" there, too. Google "Gwaihir". He was Gandalf's epic flyer.

I listed those off the top of my head, by the way. Did you think about that remark at all? Because, while I mean no disrespect for your intellect, that was a stunningly flippant (and stupid) remark to make.

There are always on foot/horseback segments even if flight was possible in its world. Flying more or less makes you a god - you are invulnerable - and it's not very interesting.
    Half true. There are foot/horseback segments. But, with the prevalence of flying, it would feel more alien to *not* have it. And do they really want to risk alienating *more* players with their short-sightedness, when they've lost so many...?
    Last edited by Vulcanasm; 2013-05-14 at 08:52 AM.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    While that is true, how many films do you know where they are shown for all of the way to their destination in the first place?
    At best, you usually get a montage of some intermittent vistas.

Why? Well, because traveling is so boring people wouldn't want to watch it.

Making it more "interesting" in WoW would probably serve more to aggravate people than it would improve the situation. Travel is a necessity, not some great gameplay mechanic meant to engage players.
    Oh it's more than montage. It's where all the character development and plot points happen. They meet allies and enemies on the road. Life-changing events happen on the way to their destination.

The problem in WoW is, when traveling nothing interesting or of significance ever happens - due to the world being more or less static. Ergo, boring.

IMHO they should either make it interesting (and rewarding) or automate it for us - we should have been able to get on a road with our mounts, select our destination and our mounts will take us there by themselves (of course allow as to disengage the autopilot at will). This way we can chit-chat while travel and it would be less boring.

1,2,3,4,5: Arena Skirmishes

1. Weekly caps, rather than daily
    2. Old AV (maybe as an additional battleground)
    3. Hard modes in raids (like the Towers on Flame Leviathan)

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    How many meta-achievements award ground mounts? How about gladiator mounts, how many of those are ground mounts? How about rare drops from hard mode bosses, lot of ground mounts there?

...there's my reasoning. Removing those pisses on 6 years of in-game achievements. People want to show off their mounts because they want a visual display of their accomplishments. Same reason item transmog. was the best thing WoW's added since the Ulduar hard more triggers.
    Many more want to show off the ground mounts they have collected over the years. Their Raven Lords, the fiery ones from Firelands, their White Hawkstriders, the Skeleton Raptor (every the new Raptors from the Isles of Giants), the Direhorns from the Warbringers, the Fiery Warhorse from Kara, the bug mount from Arch ... etc.

One way or the other you will be "wasting" mounts. Heck by choose a mount to use, the rest will be "not used".

I lend no special weight to GC's opinions, as many of his changes lack finesse, and his team has demonstrated that it can't see around corners when it comes to game mechanics. In fact, he seems unwilling to even consider alternatives. ["Artiste Syndrome", my friends in game design call such behavior.]

Case and point: Why not seed the skies with creatures that can't dismount? Or add mounted combat (an often-requested feature) and seed the skies with creatures you fight while mounted? Skettis sure didn't make you feel invincible, now did it?
    Well, personally I respect his opinion more than that of some random yahoo on the internet. No offence. Given that it's his job, this game pays his bills, that he has given things way way more thought than the avg internet armchair analyst - including myself.

Air combat will not work. Underwater combat is a PITA as it is. We have no depth perception in this game (3D as it might be) and rely on being able to see the ground to accurately judge distance - not to mention our field of vision is very limited.

Yes. Neverending Story. Krull. Clash of the Titans, original and remake. Adventures of Baron von Munchausen. The Hobbit. Harry Potter's preferred travel method is a flying broomstick. Indiana Jones' preferred travel method is a dotted red line with propellers roaring. Aladdin has a flying carpet.

Fantasy films where all travel is overland are rare. What you mean to say is "did they do it in Lord of the Rings". If you bothered to pick up the book, the answer is "yes" there, too. Google "Gwaihir". He was Gandalf's epic flyer.

I listed those off the top of my head, by the way. Did you think about that remark at all? Because, while I mean no disrespect for your intellect, that was a stunningly flippant (and stupid) remark to make.
    But most of the interesting things take place on the ground! Even in Harry Potter the combat mostly takes place on land.

Also as mentioned early, the game can't do air combat well.

As for LotR, well, you do realise that every modern RPG more or less own their existence to it right - at least indirectly, D&D is the one that started the genre, modern RPGs are computerised versions of D&D in a way, D&D is heavily based on LotRs. They are the trope definers. It's the adventure feel that makes RPGs popular.

"I mean no disrespect for your intellect" ... if that's the case than your ending comment wasn't required.

Half true. There are foot/horseback segments. But, with the prevalence of flying, it would feel more alien to *not* have it. And do they really want to risk alienating *more* players with their short-sightedness, when they've lost so many...?
    That's Blizzard's mistake which they are greatly regretting right now. Flying should never have been "prevalence" in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Personal opinions ofcourse.

1.Old Night Cycle, The older ones who we all have seen awhile ago is alot better and makes you feel like night is dangerous and actually scary then just how it is now, you can't even see the difference between night and day if you dont look up the sky.

2.This is really personal but i think they need to add back the staff/polearms hunters could wear before MoP, I myself loved to had something on my back it felt like my hunter felt strong they dont need to add back like stats or something but a way to have a staff on your back would be amazing.

3.Remove level 90 guards from towns. I saw a screenshot where lvl 30ers were attacking the barrens, i think that is pretty cool and even new players who are leveling can have a little fun by attacking towns, not everything should belong to max levelers only.

4.arena skirmishes should be added back in the game, it was for funsies and was pretty relaxing but fun same time.

5.Being able to control your pet back in the days was pretty awesome, that skill they should have never been removed.

What do you guys would like to see back in the game?
    (NOT REMOVED!)

The cycle is still there? i dont get it, elaborate.

although i agree with this quote

Darsithis
    "Honestly I'd prefer a much deeper day/night cycle. I'd love it if we could add a new layer of just interesting fun-ness to this game:

- Night Elves get a slight glow to their vision at night, as do undead and blood elves get a green kind of glow from fel energy
    - You can purchase (crafted by engineers, of course), night-vision goggles that fit over your helmet

Night is...night. It's dark. Now, as an avid camper, I know that it's not pitch black, of course, but it's certainly far darker than what we experience in WoW. I'd love that kind of realism. I'd love to be stalking a kitty to tame or skin in STV in the dead of night, with nothing but a faint glow of the stars to mark my path..."

Yeah definitely. Make night much darker, add a diff ambient sound, have custom world events for nights, wheather effects etc. The possibilites are endless.

On OP i agree with all 1-5.

Oh it's more than montage. It's where all the character development and plot points happen. They meet allies and enemies on the road. Life-changing events happen on the way to their destination.
    And guess what? Those are the only parts we are being shown.

The problem in WoW is, when traveling nothing interesting or of significance ever happens - due to the world being more or less static. Ergo, boring.

IMHO they should either make it interesting (and rewarding) or automate it for us - we should have been able to get on a road with our mounts, select our destination and our mounts will take us there by themselves (of course allow as to disengage the autopilot at will). This way we can chit-chat while travel and it would be less boring.
    You have automated air travel. It's even available earlier than the nonautomated version. The boring part comes from travel being boring, not from mounts making travel boring. It would be even more boring without the mounts.(no, having mobs around does not make it less boring, only more annoying)
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    The cycle is still there? i dont get it, elaborate.
    It seems people have problems telling apart the night cycle(i.e. when it gets dark) from the level of illumination (how dark it gets).
    The night cycle never changed.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And guess what? Those are the only parts we are being shown.

You have automated air travel. It's even available earlier than the nonautomated version. The boring part comes from travel being boring, not from mounts making travel boring. It would be even more boring without the mounts.(no, having mobs around does not make it less boring, only more annoying)

It seems people have problems telling apart the night cycle(i.e. when it gets dark) from the level of illumination (how dark it gets).
    The night cycle never changed.
    Flightpaths take way too long as they are, taking the dumbest detours.

I see automation as a means to reduce the "boring". Even flying is boring. Why can't my mount autopilot to my chosen destination?

I think we can agree that currently traveling, flying, on the ground or otherwise, is as boring as watching paint dry.

So we have two ways to fix this. Automation and making it not boring - three if you consider just not forcing people to travel so much. The former isn't really a "solution" and more a bandaid. So that leaves us with "making it not boring".

The problem here is the world is static and dead. The only interaction comes from mobs that aren't worth fighting - which is why they are annoying. Interesting things need to happen. Things that happen in the "only parts we are being shown" need to happen - or an equivalent. And such things definitely can't happen in the air because this game's gameplay mechanics aren't designed for use in mid air.

As for the night cycle, it does kill the mood. Solution? Need one that doesn't blind players with shitty monitors and poor eyesight.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-05-14 at 08:52 PM.

1.2.3.4.5. Tabards for rep. Doing dailies doesn't make the factions feel "real" it just makes me not want to participate in them at all.

Deleted
    1. Proper night cycle
    2. Group quests in zones
    3. Something akin to the Fall of the Lick King heroics

I'd like being able to sit in Ironforge again instead of SW.

And frost dk tanking