Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    What happened to that miss was unbelievably horrible, and I feel terribly sorry for her. I'm NOT in any way, shape or form defending the government's decision with her, but she should have never signed any kind of paper that she didn't understand. This is absolutely wrong, and something needs to be done so that such things would never happen again. Nevertheless, I only truly hope that she gets over this quick and gets better.
    It was probably inadequately explained to her by the translator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What make you think those translators are even there to translate in her best interest?

Edit: Well you didn't, I just presumed, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstercloud View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional.
    Me neither, the rule of law/legal certainty (uncertain of the eng. word for it) is joke in all of those gulf states.

10+ Year Old Account
    If your western, do NOT go to UAE and those kinda countries, and break laws. They do not give a crap. I think it's completely wrong to jail someone who got raped. Like, what the fuck. Was the people that put her to jail, mentally retarded?

Deleted
    With all respect for each individual muslim, but how can you call a religion that is systematically misogynistic anything but backwards ? That's not to say that other religions are much better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    What make you think those translators are even there to translate in her best interest?

Edit: Well you didn't, I just presumed, sorry
    Haha.

Yeah well maybe I'm prejudiced against the legal system in the UAE but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in such a court official either.

---------- Post added 2013-05-14 at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    If your western, do NOT go to UAE and those kinda countries, and break laws.
    Or just don't go there. Because a lot of things are breaking the law there. Like being a rape victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I think there is more into this story than really showed. It's even more dubious the fact that she sued her own country for this misunderstanding. Fishy is written all over this story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or just don't go there. Because a lot of things are breaking the law there. Like being a rape victim.[/QUOTE]
    Yep! Don't see the point really...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I think this is one of the major faults of the arab world, in many countries women are considered less then men, this is a major problem and I have to admit, I don't understand why? I mean, why do many of the states in the area consider that women don't deserve same rights as men?
    I think the root lies mostly in male insecurity.

Men in retrograde countries want to remain as the dominant, polygamous alpha males that we were back in the stone age.

Religion is just the perfect way of brainwashing women & society into accepting it.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I've read cases where rapists have been sentenced to death in the UAE. This itself is a compliment to their justice system.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an Emirate citizen, I feel a bit offended of some of the posters above me, but alright..

I feel obliged to clear UAE's drinking policy, and should you require proof, you're more than welcome to try Google, Bing or what have you, because I will not. Sorry.

Drinking is NOT illegal in the UAE. It's legal in "licensed places". Those licensed places mostly apply to some hotel bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. However, you're not allowed to drink in public places. Doing so will result in 6-8 months in prison, and MAY get you a fine of roughly 3000 Dirhams (~800$). You can also opt in for a Drinking License (optional). The reason why it's not allowed to drink in public areas is to not cause annoyance/problems to locals and others that don't drink(Muslims, for example). This applies to both genders, not exclusive to the male only like some of you seem to claim. Lastly, the legal drinking age in UAE, is 21.

What happened to that miss was unbelievably horrible, and I feel terribly sorry for her. I'm NOT in any way, shape or form defending the government's decision with her, but she should have never signed any kind of paper that she didn't understand. This is absolutely wrong, and something needs to be done so that such things would never happen again. Nevertheless, I only truly hope that she gets over this quick and gets better.
    6-8 months for a drinking in public offence?! That sounds mental if you ask me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Maybe the reason why they don't eat swine is because it would be considered cannibalism?
    The world would be better if we could get rid of these pigs.

Infracted - please refrain from the generalized bashing of religious groups
    haha thats a good one

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManglolSA View Post
    I've read cases where rapists have been sentenced to death in the UAE. This itself is a compliment to their justice system.
    Stoning, Flogging, Death Penalties & Cruel Judicial Punishments is okey in your world I guess, you better move there quick to feel at home.

Deleted
    Nothing new in that part of the world. In SA a woman was gang raped and got 100 lashes for it.

It's a horrible story, but then: I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you should never go to any theocratic country if you're a citizen of a secular country. All theocratic countries are crazy (and dangerous to visitors) because they're theocratic.

Deleted
    True. That said, you need to accept that your state isn't perfect and the way some laws are made regarding women is bad. If I have one criticism of the countries around that area, not only yours, but all of them, it's this, the fact that regarding men-woman equality you haven't made significant progress, and in some cases there's been a regress instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Nothing new in that part of the world. In SA a woman was gang raped and got 100 lashes for it.
    And yet they are considered an important ally and oil supplier. Ain't the world sweet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    I think the root lies mostly in male insecurity.

Men in retrograde countries want to remain as the dominant, polygamous alpha males that we were back in the stone age.

Religion is just the perfect way of brainwashing women & society into accepting it.
    Well true, but still the issue here is that they still remain in that mindset. And it's not only retrograde countries, UAE for example appears to be moving forward... yet still has these ridiculous laws.

I will agree that religion is the perfect way to brainwashing people if people convince that their view on it is better then the other's view of it. This is why terrorists exist in the end. However, it has to be mirrored by bad education, otherwise if the people are educated they will understand the point of the fanatics is wrong and won't follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    It's a horrible story, but then: I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you should never go to any theocratic country if you're a citizen of a secular country. All theocratic countries are crazy (and dangerous to visitors) because they're theocratic.
    Not entirely true. Remember, Vatican is a country too. And there are examples of muslim countries that are doing well too, Jordan, Turkey and Oman for example (though I have to admit, they are behind on equality too). But you can't throw all of the countries that follow a religion in the same pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Not entirely true. Remember, Vatican is a country too. And there are examples of muslim countries that are doing well too, Jordan, Turkey and Oman for example (though I have to admit, they are behind on equality too). But you can't throw all of the countries that follow a religion in the same pan.
    Turkey isn't a theocracy (as far as I know, anyway). And I would never go to the Vatican; I despise everything it stands for (though I have no beef with Catholicism, I despise theocracy).
    A country with a majority religion is fine... But it isn't automatically a theocracy. A theocracy is a country in which religious dogma is responsible for (at the very least some) legislation. It is a country RULED by religious dogma.