Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by invizion View Post
    As someone who's looking for a new guild due to similar problems in people are posting about in this thread, I've noticed that when you get past a certain mark, it becomes one giant circle jerk, especially with guilds saying "accepting exceptional players" etc.

Of the two I've applied to so far that suit me, they were either asking for more progress (Held back by my currents guild situation) or aren't recruiting my class/spec from which I've linked logs where I'm outperforming their own players of the same class/spec with less gear

Ah well, let the circle jerk continue!

As somebody who has dealt with recruitment, you sound like an applicant who tells the guild how good you are, but don't actually have anything of merit to prove the claim. Here are the *baseline* expectations for getting into a top 50 guild imo:

- Extensive heroic raiding experience
    - Recent heroic raiding experience
    - Heroic end boss kills
    - Part of top region/world individual kills
    - Verifiable performance through recent logs (strongly prefer heroic boss logs)

Now if you're applying to guilds outside the top 50-75, then I think these standards are much different, but a top 50 guild isn't just going to "give you a shot" without thinking you are very likely to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post
    As somebody who has dealt with recruitment, you sound like an applicant who tells the guild how good you are, but don't actually have anything of merit to prove the claim. Here are the *baseline* expectations for getting into a top 50 guild imo:

- Heroic end boss kills

Now if you're applying to guilds outside the top 50-75, then I think these standards are much different, but a top 50 guild isn't just going to "give you a shot" without thinking you are very likely to succeed.
    Replace those requirements with these:

- Highly skilled
    - Intelligent
    - Personable

Of course, a lot of people lack one or more of these qualities, and having all three can be pretty rare. If you do have all three, you should be able to join a top 50 (world) guild with relative ease, even without the things you listed (except logs, logs are always important and necessary, there's no better way to demonstrate your skill).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post

- Heroic end boss kills

Not entirely true, i got into top20 guild with having very little raiding experience and only played wow like 1 month every expansion. I was pretty good at starcraft 2(grandmaster) and played a lot. When MoP was released i got bored of sc2 and wanted to play wow more seriously, i almost didn't have balls to submit application to this guild because all of these "exceptional players with HC experience" and i was thinking of applying to worse guilds in the server instead. But I'm glad i did apply, and now i like to think I'm pretty good wow player, getting good rankings in WoL and stuff..

I understand that probably all "top"(difference between top5 and top50 guild is huge) guilds won't recruit you if you don't have any proof that you can play, but if you were good at some other game like me, they might give you a chance thinking you can probably analyze and improve your game pretty fast.

Otherwise you just can't expect to join top guild, and sad part is most of the "bad" guilds like rank500 or so are still looking for these "exceptional players" that might scare some players away thinking they aren't good enough. The game is not hard by any means. If you can push buttons and have like 15 buttons hotkeyed and you can click them with your keyboard and not mouse. Then its all about knowledge.

Things you need to know/have to be in top200 guild:
    -Know your character, how your spell rotation works, how you should gem and enchant
    -Addons are the biggest help you can have, they can almost play for you. Having your trinket procs displayed at good place in your screen helps a lot. Having boss encounter addon like BW displaying timers etc...
    -You can push buttons
    -You don't suffer from terrible tunnel vision

With these you should be able to join top200 guild even if you have almost zero wow experience. Then get better gear, get logs, read actively forums and theorycrafts, read boss specific tips and maximize your DPS. Then start applying to better guilds if you are looking for more HC raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    If you stuck 2 week on a boss where the world top guilds just needed 2 attempts and which is not even so much different than the normal mode... then you're just bad and not "semi-hardcore".
    PTR farming for weeks. then, 16 hours per day / 7 days a week (!) progress. what the "top guilds" do these days has nothing to do with playing a game anymore. i work 40 hours per week in my job, they raid 112 hours per week. yeah, has nothing to do with time investment. sure, they are the best players of the world, i have no doubt. but come on, you are heavily exaggerating...

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    PTR farming for weeks. then, 16 hours per day / 7 days a week (!) progress. what the "top guilds" do these days has nothing to do with playing a game anymore. i work 40 hours per week in my job, they raid 112 hours per week. yeah, has nothing to do with time investment. sure, they are the best players of the world, i have no doubt. but come on, you are heavily exaggerating...
    You work 40 hours a week for at least 30 weeks a year. They play 16 hours a day / 7 days a week for 5 weeks max (March 5th ToT released, April 11 Method kills Ra-den).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Yep, our 11/13H guild sucks so much that we had to cover up our 8 years of raiding experience by merging with a larger guild. And this is being told by someone who isnt even in the top 1000s bracket. I'm okay with a variety of opinions but some just dont matter at all.
    You are one of a very tiny handful of people who seem to think what you think. If the evidence is so compellingly against your absurd view then I could be a non raider even rather than 4/13h and it would not matter because my point stands true.

What I am is someone who has been a guild and raid leader through every tier since tier 4. I have taken no breaks and have gone though some terrible lows and amazing highs in progression. We have been 10 and 25 at various points in history.

The game now is very different and the arguments only hold weight to a point because the guild will rise or fall regardless of 10 or 25 based upon how well it is run and how cohesive the team is.

Now get off your high horse so I can get off mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    just keep going. most bosses are way easier in 25m hardmode as u can simply bypass lots of mechanics and stuff.
    besides, getting gear in 25m is less luck dependant and thus faster. (and thanks to thunderforged items, you even get better gear way faster as well).

long story short: overall 25m has an easier time. keep pushing and you will be rewarded.
    have you actually done any 25s this tier? so how can you judge if they are easier than 10mans? 90% of 10 man raiders have not set foot in a 25 man since wolk ended. they have ZERO basis to say that 25 man is easier. whereas 90% of 25 man raiders WILL at some people do content on 10 man and are in a very good position to judge if its harder or not.

but then i found lfr stoneguard harder than heroic 10 man heroic stoneguard.

best case scenario the content is balanced with different mechanics being difficult in different situations, worst case scenario, 90% of the time, 25 man is harder.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    You work 40 hours a week for at least 30 weeks a year. They play 16 hours a day / 7 days a week for 5 weeks max (March 5th ToT released, April 11 Method kills Ra-den).
    i don't know many jobs that would give you 3-5 weeks off every 3-4 months (about how long tiers last) i'm lucky if i have 3 weeks saved up for an entire year.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2013-05-17 at 04:42 AM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Tanking has killed off 25mans. If my guild of 3 10 man teams decided to go 25m then 4 people plus our casual reserves would be out of a job or atleast the role they prefer. Up tanks to 4 in 25m and you may see more 25 mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    Tanking has killed off 25mans. If my guild of 3 10 man teams decided to go 25m then 4 people plus our casual reserves would be out of a job or atleast the role they prefer. Up tanks to 4 in 25m and you may see more 25 mans.
    And you'd kill most 25 mans in the process as they don't have 4 players ready to tank fulltime, so they'd rather decide to switch to 10 man. Not to mention the fights would need complete redesign to require 4 tanks, even more organization etc etc.
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Faeglendir View Post
    And you'd kill most 25 mans in the process as they don't have 4 players ready to tank fulltime, so they'd rather decide to switch to 10 man. Not to mention the fights would need complete redesign to require 4 tanks, even more organization etc etc.
    More tanks would switch to 25mans though. Check out guild recruitment posts and they might have a tank opening every 6 months when someone drops out while needing 6 healers for a raid means there is a steady turn over. More people are tanking than ever before with 5 classes that are all viable and all offer a different feel. It's not easy I know, but I believe this has had an effect, along with many others, on the number of 25mans out there.

Out with the hardcore raiders in with the casuals which is the current recruitment pool. Raiders are a dying breed, most of them have likely grown out of this game (as I have). If they're still playing it's due to playing with friends. Anyone joining the game now is likely doing so in a casual capacity, and raiding LFR thinking the next step is 10/25 mans. Hardcore isn't in their vocabulary and wiping 500 times on a single boss isn't in their blood.

You can still experience all the content, albeit in nerfed form, but it's still all there. I'm shocked people are still surprised about the demise of the 25HM raider when WoW is bleeding subs. MoP extinguished any hope I had for this game and showed myself, and many others, the door. The extra token system, DAILIES ugh, plus the supreme dominance of Locks vs other casters this xpac has just gotten old. I grow tired of listening to a broken record *cough* Ghostcrawler, it's his game, we're all wrong, dailies are fun and engaging content, and the dominance of Locks is a myth *yawn*...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    All guilds are feeling the strain at the moment. We are having a terribly difficult time recruiting enough competent players for 10 man normals. People just don't seem to be as interested in raiding anymore and if you do manage to convince people to join your raid group you are often greeted with a raider that plays poorly and isn't really all too interested in improving their abilities.
    Qtf, but there's more to it then people just not seeming interested (Although it's also true)

It's not that people aren't interested in overcoming challenges in organised groups any longer, but when you can see all there is to see through raid finder (potentially get some shinies on top), spend a ton more free time with the gf / wife, go out a lot more and never miss anything online anyway.., then quite frankly, who gives a flying fuck about some arbitrary number on items that's being replaced at record speeds now a days anyway!?
    This coming from a player who's been raiding non-stop within top 200 from Tbc > Cata, continuously raided more relaxed organised til 11/12 ToT normal when I decided to stop wow completely due to the direction of the game.

The above has impacts on the average raiders abilities, I frequently see my misses filling a spot in some "semi-hardcore" guild who's progressing on normal, and at times I ask her why she even bothers when it's clear most don't have a clue about mechanics (which are pretty damn straight forward in ToT on all bosses), not to mention the usage of cd's in general is highly lackluster.
    I'll bet you also see it if you ever do pugs!

Deleted
    As someone who's looking for a new guild due to similar problems in people are posting about in this thread, I've noticed that when you get past a certain mark, it becomes one giant circle jerk, especially with guilds saying "accepting exceptional players" etc.

Of the two I've applied to so far that suit me, they were either asking for more progress (Held back by my currents guild situation) or aren't recruiting my class/spec from which I've linked logs where I'm outperforming their own players of the same class/spec with less gear

Ah well, let the circle jerk continue!
    There's nothing about having a benchmark for entry raiders that is circlejerking.

I'd understand that if it were social/non progression guilds I'm applying to
    You honestly expect a a guild to replace any of their players just because you provide better logs?

If you where a top player then you would understand that raids rarely wipe because of dps being to low and hitting enrange (with a few exceptions enrange timers are usually no problem). The biggest cause of wipes during a boss fight is because people make mistakes and die.

And topping meters (or not) says nothing about a person, if anything the biggest factor that decides a persons dps is the raid group and not the player himself. If in a group that manages to kill bosses relativity fast the classes with the shorter cooldowns will do relatively more dps then the classes with the longer cooldowns.

Semi-Hardcore is a dumb concept, you either want to clear the content or you want to be shit, i don't get why people are okay with being in between O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitzles View Post
    This is why TBC will always be regarding as the best raiding expansion in history of any game for true raiders.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sazabius View Post
    Out with the hardcore raiders in with the casuals which is the current recruitment pool. Raiders are a dying breed, most of them have likely grown out of this game (as I have). If they're still playing it's due to playing with friends. Anyone joining the game now is likely doing so in a casual capacity, and raiding LFR thinking the next step is 10/25 mans. Hardcore isn't in their vocabulary and wiping 500 times on a single boss isn't in their blood.

You can still experience all the content, albeit in nerfed form, but it's still all there. I'm shocked people are still surprised about the demise of the 25HM raider when WoW is bleeding subs. MoP extinguished any hope I had for this game and showed myself, and many others, the door. The extra token system, DAILIES ugh, plus the supreme dominance of Locks vs other casters this xpac has just gotten old. I grow tired of listening to a broken record *cough* Ghostcrawler, it's his game, we're all wrong, dailies are fun and engaging content, and the dominance of Locks is a myth *yawn*...
    Mages are up there too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    That's either luck or being fed gear because no one else needs it, 6 pieces of cloth with no Spirit, plus a non-spirit weapon and a Wushoolay's... Yeah, fed gear as hell. Gearing up isn't hard when there's no loot competition, but you can do that when it's a simple reroll, but you don't feed new recruits gear, ever.
    HUH? I recall always boosting gear for recruits even since vanilla. Even my current guild's guildpage says this.
    ''
    There is no specific gear requirement. We have recruited, attuned and geared up several undergeared players in the past. But the player has to convince us that he is going to be worth the effort.

(cut out the unimportant details)
    ''

If you're raiding 25mHC, and cant gear up a new applicant to decent status in 2 weeks, something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    The problem is that ToT has no atmosphere at all so people cannot be bothered to raid it.
    I'm already burned out on it in LFR. That didn't happen in T14 raids. Pretty much just sticking around for 5.3 to see what happens to PvP.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Definition View Post
    Semi-Hardcore is a dumb concept, you either want to clear the content or you want to be shit, i don't get why people are okay with being in between O.o
    Well, I consider my guild semi-hardcore, we raid 9hrs/week and still aim to do heroic content. We were 11/16 hc last tier, and currently are 3/12 hc. Slow but still getting there.