Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Movies you like but everyone else hates...

An idea I got from Doug Walker's video (Nostalgia Critic) on what he thought was movies he liked but the majority of people hated.

These movies dont have to be great or the best to you, you don't even have to like them much yourself, do you feel they didn't deserve the hate they got, they can still be bad but not as bad as they were made out to be... if you get me

Now heres a few movies I like but everyone else hates (I'll think of more later)

Jennifer's Body (2009) - When this came out I remember alot of people complaining about how awful it was the story the acting, and that it was just fan service for those Megan Fox droolers. With that said I believed the hate and never went to see it. Then I got it recently and watched it and realized it wasn't at all that bad. Sure the storyline has some plot holes but it still had m,e very intrigued. I liked the struggle between two friends trying to deal with this issue and ones choice whether to accept or go against the other. The idea that Megan Fox became a Succubus too was very good, some of the creative ideas in the movie wasn't that bad either. I actually even felt sympathetic towards Amanda Seyfrieds' character. The movie is retty good it isnt perfect by a mile, it kind of jumps the shark at the end and does seem to copy a bit from the movie Ginger Snaps.

Land of the Dead (2005) - George A Romero's zombie flick set in a post zombie-lyfic future? Well anyway Zombies rule the world. This is considered to be a dumb zombie movie with horrible acting, and over the top villain (in Dennis Hopper), and just mere stupid writing. But you know what I don't really mind the movie, sure its stupid and silly and yea the acting is bad, but then again I don't really know of any Oscar winning performances that involve Zombies. The movie is okay once again it isnt Romero's best zombie flick and I really don't think its his worst, it is just meant to be what it is. I liked the idea of Zombies trying to regain some of their memory and the characters didn't bother me as much as some people claimed. I thought it was pretty fun, the idea of zoning off an area of the city into some utopia was pretty cool and at the same time still gave an aura of danger outside. Good movie in my opinion but wasn't that bad.

The Breakup (2006) - Lets start by saying I hate Chick Flicks, so god knows what I was doing sitting down watching this. I must have been ill or something. But anyhow there's always a certain formula i always seem to notice with them they can be really too happy and to light, the thing about this one is it starts off that way but actually the movie is pretty bitter, not really dark but just bitter, and the ending isn't what I expected, I was expecting the typical happy ending and all is good with the world but it doesn't and it isn't done in a tear jerking way either, it just leaves you there thinking about it, and to me, a movie that takes what I knew about a chick flick and turns it on its side is good with me.

Now its your turn to share your movies you like but everyone else hates...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Maybe not exactly everyone hates following movies, but here it is anyway...

Hulk (2003) - most of people consider it a failure, for me, still one of the best movies based on Marvel comic books.

Speed Racer (2008) - critics hated it, masses hated it, flop in box office. Yet, i liked it enough to watch it in theatres twice.

Pirates of Caribbean trilogy - basically for everyone it goes like this - Curse of the Black Pearl > or equal to Dead Mans Chest > At Worlds End. For me it's other way around. Fcking loved 3rd one in every way, while evryone else was bashing it for overlong, overdone plot, to much action, Orlando Bloom suxx, etc etc. 4th movie was fking rubbish though.

That's what i can remember on top of my head.
    Last edited by mmoc024edb9800; 2013-05-16 at 12:46 AM.

my friends tend to share the same taste in movies...most of the detractors are limited to my mother and girlfriends lol.

But I think the starting point would be the entire gamut of Star Trek films. To be honest, I enjoy them all to varying degrees. Even the so called "bad ones."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Amazing Spider-Man - I honestly think that if it had been made first, rather than Raimi's version, the same people slamming it now would be its most zealous fans. Aside from a fairly weak score and cgi that was lacking in some instances, I found it very enjoyable. Not to mention that that Peter Parker wasn't just a bumbling incompetent (like Raimi's version). I guess they gave Tobey organic shooters because no one would ever in a million years believe that he could design/build his own. :P

Sucker Punch -I get the feeling that people were expecting a very different movie. The acting could have been better, but for a movie about gratuitous sensuality and gratuitous slow-motion violence, it was a fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    But I think the starting point would be the entire gamut of Star Trek films. To be honest, I enjoy them all to varying degrees. Even the so called "bad ones."
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure people would think I'm insane if I tell them Star Trek V is among my favorites. I just love the way the characters interact in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Sucker Punch -I get the feeling that people were expecting a very different movie. The acting could have been better, but for a movie about gratuitous sensuality and gratuitous slow-motion violence, it was a fun time.
    ah there's one I can piggyback. I too enjoyed it for what it is, a visual spectacle with hot women (oh my gooood Jena Malone, jizzzzzzz), cool action and good music (yes even the one with Bjork).

15+ Year Old Account
    Sucker Punch.

It got absolutely destroyed by critics and pretty much everyone else. They all seem to ignore the darkness the film tries to explore.

The Room - I saw some videos on youtube of it and bought it off amazon. Watching it with a large group of my friends was probably one of the funniest things that ever happened to me. Yeah it is awful, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure people would think I'm insane if I tell them Star Trek V is among my favorites. I just love the way the characters interact in that one.
    I thought it was pretty decent. I mean sure it's not fantastic compared to some others, but you're right. It made the crew seem more human and down to earth when in comparison to how bombastic IV was with time travel..."fly fast around the sun." Though IV had a lot of "cute" moments too. I think one that gets shit on even more is Insurrection. But I liked that one all the same.

Plus the first scenes with the shuttles and the whole Gilbert and Sullivan singsong was classic.

Dredd. Saw this movie and told everyone it was the best super heromovie besides Avengers and Batman I saw last year. None of my friends saw it. My friend recently saw it on blueray and loved it. I still hate america for letting this movie bomb in the theatres. Heres hoping the disc sales made enough for a sequal.

Street Fighter - Vann Damme's movie - I have not met or heard of another person that enjoyed this movie other than me. But as a kid i literally watched it over 50 times in awe of seeing my favorite characters on the big screen. To this day i practically have all the lines memorized.
    Bane

Quote Originally Posted by Lithios View Post
    Dredd. Saw this movie and told everyone it was the best super heromovie besides Avengers and Batman I saw last year. None of my friends saw it. My friend recently saw it on blueray and loved it. I still hate america for letting this movie bomb in the theatres. Heres hoping the disc sales made enough for a sequal.
    Dredd was awesome lol. I think what didn't help it was the total lack of advertisement it had. But a movie that violent is going to get limited promotion unless the studio just throws money at it...which they weren't going to

Deleted
    I dont really watch many modern films, but most people cant stand my taste in movies, as they usually have subtitles or are a bit wierd :P

I guess dune would be the obvious one, it doesnt stand up to the book sure, but I think it nails the atmosphere which is pretty important to me. Most people hate it

I guess david lynch movies in general are very love or hate. I showed my housemates twin peaks and everybody hated it, but i have watched the series and film about 20 times
    Last edited by mmoc47607dc526; 2013-05-16 at 01:35 AM.

Battlefield Earth. I HAVE NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Merope View Post
    Battlefield Earth. I HAVE NO REGRETS!
    Ok now you're just being silly. Shoo.

/shun

Hmm, well not many people liked Hudson Hawk right? Also, that reminds me, I don't know if anyone apart from me likes Colour of Night.

I'm also one of a very small number of people who loved Tank Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Jennifer's Body (2009) - When this came out I remember alot of people complaining about how awful it was the story the acting, and that it was just fan service for those Megan Fox droolers. With that said I believed the hate and never went to see it. Then I got it recently and watched it and realized it wasn't at all that bad. Sure the storyline has some plot holes but it still had m,e very intrigued. I liked the struggle between two friends trying to deal with this issue and ones choice whether to accept or go against the other. The idea that Megan Fox became a Succubus too was very good, some of the creative ideas in the movie wasn't that bad either. I actually even felt sympathetic towards Amanda Seyfrieds' character. The movie is retty good it isnt perfect by a mile, it kind of jumps the shark at the end and does seem to copy a bit from the movie Ginger Snaps.
    Yeah I really enjoyed this movie too, I think it attracted haters because some people just like to shit on Megan Fox, and the subject matter was a bit out there. I thought it was fun and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Land of the Dead (2005) - George A Romero's zombie flick set in a post zombie-lyfic future? Well anyway Zombies rule the world. This is considered to be a dumb zombie movie with horrible acting, and over the top villain (in Dennis Hopper), and just mere stupid writing. But you know what I don't really mind the movie, sure its stupid and silly and yea the acting is bad, but then again I don't really know of any Oscar winning performances that involve Zombies. The movie is okay once again it isnt Romero's best zombie flick and I really don't think its his worst, it is just meant to be what it is. I liked the idea of Zombies trying to regain some of their memory and the characters didn't bother me as much as some people claimed. I thought it was pretty fun, the idea of zoning off an area of the city into some utopia was pretty cool and at the same time still gave an aura of danger outside. Good movie in my opinion but wasn't that bad.
    Well I didn't think it was great but I went in with low expectations and there were still some enjoyable bits. Didn't hate it.

my friends tend to share the same taste in movies...most of the detractors are limited to my mother and girlfriends lol.

Even Star Trek V?

(But yeah I liked all the other classic Star Treks, ie I - VI. Most of the Next Gen ones were mediocre. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the reboot, normally I hate reboots.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Even Star Trek V?

(But yeah I liked all the other classic Star Treks, ie I - VI. Most of the Next Gen ones were mediocre. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the reboot, normally I hate reboots.)
    Yeah. I don't really hate many movies. I can usually find something to enjoy in them.

I'm the opposite, I went in thinking it was the kind of movie I'd like and ended up really disliking it. I think one of the problems was that it couldn't stick to a tone, either the movie is dark and depressing or it's silly over the top action sequences, but both? It's like eating smoked salmon and ice cream. I also felt like the backstory itself was derivative and overly stylised (I get that the dream sequences are stylised but the scenes in reality shouldn't be).

The cast was stupendously hot though I'll give you that :P

No offense but I do think you're insane :P

I can see that some of the character humour was okay. Bit slapsticky though.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 01:44 AM ----------

Yeah. I don't really hate many movies. I can usually find something to enjoy in them.
    Mmm, to be honest I don't hate Star Trek V even though it's on my all time stinker list (other alumni: Superman III and even worse, IV, the two Schumacher Batmans...). I just look back and think wow, those movies were so bad!

But I do hate movies sometimes, if they really ruin something I was expecting to enjoy, or if it's a sequel so bad it un-does a previous movie that was good, or if I care about the characters and the movie messes them up badly. Or if I just feel like the movie is really insulting the intelligence of the audience. Sometimes I actually get angry after watching a movie. But not that often I guess.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-05-16 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Loonman555 View Post
    The Room - I saw some videos on youtube of it and bought it off amazon. Watching it with a large group of my friends was probably one of the funniest things that ever happened to me. Yeah it is awful, but it still holds a special place in my heart.
    Oh hai, Loonman.

This movie is amazing. The football scenes are so cool haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    LA Story 1991 Steve Martin's wonderful romantic comedy, based on bits and pieces of the works of William Shakespeare. funny and witty. My friends don't seem to get it.

Frankenstein 1931 My friends cannot figure out why this is my all time favorite film. It's a classic morality play about science crossing into the realm of God. Well acted( Colin Clive was awesome), and extremely well produced for it's era. My friends think it's silly and outdated.

The Ghost and Mrs Muir 1947 One of cinemas best romances, that gets overlooked waay to much. I still cry every time I watch it. Most of my friends think it's too dated as well.

Hanna (2011)- Was pretty good in my opinion.