Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Stealing from a guild bank is OK

We recently had a member of our guild who was around for a bit, got promoted, took the expensive stuff from the guild bank almost instantly then left. Made a ticket and the GM told me this was OK to do, So if anyone fancies making a quick bit of gold just get into a guild and take everything from the guild bank and leave the guild, then sell on the AH or in trade.

Deleted
    Don't give someone access to something if you are not 100% sure that they can be trusted? In every guild I've ever been in, only the Officers could access the stuff on the bank (in some cases money only by the GM). If you wanted something, you could just ask for it.

Yes its OK, stealing items from raid is OK also.

Its players fault if they give permission for random person to get items from guild bank or if they join raid with leader who they do not know.

Jerk moves both but not against the rules.

edit: And remember if you go call him thief in general channels YOU will get banned if he reports.
    Last edited by Demec; 2013-05-17 at 10:01 AM.

Deleted
    I just don't get it, I was in a guild before where someone stole lots from the bank and just left instantly and a GM restored the items, But the GM I am dealing with just said it was ok for him to do this and then said "Sorry you wasn't online to talk" when I clearly was online the whole time between tickets. No wonder this game is losing so many subs.

I wouldn't call it OK, but it's allowed. It's one of those things that people with any sense of morality won't do, but aren't against the rules.

Sorry it happened to you mate but this is not a GM issue. When you promote someone to officer you give them powers based on trust, but sometimes the same people when they get this power abuse it and thus things like theft occurs.

Deleted
    Just put a limit as to how much people can take out per day, and be careful with who you promote?... In my guild I believe only the Guild Master and vice GM can take out unlimited supplies, even officers are restricted to three items per day, and we are a close raiding guild who most of us even know each other in real life.

Its not the Gm's job to babysit. If the person is GIVEN access to the guild bank. He can then freely take out whatever he wants without any interference from GM's

If said person was not supposed to take items out of the guildbank. Then he shouldnt have been able to either

Gm's will interfere if the items is "hacked" out of the bank however

why allow people you don't trust to withdraw expensive items is what I wanna know

Deleted
    That's the thing, we never expected him to do this kind of thing. We'll be more careful in the future but just kind of sucks for now that the GM I@m talking with is an absolute spa

Quote Originally Posted by Doffy View Post
    That's the thing, we never expected him to do this kind of thing. We'll be more careful in the future but just kind of sucks for now that the GM I@m talking with is an absolute spa
    Did he transfer/rename his character? If he's still around, I recommend character assassination. Let everyone know he can't be trusted.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

How is it stealing if he had access?

While I'm not one to rob a gb I'm also not stupid enough to grant free access to ours.

Not stealing.

You gave them the allowance to take that much, and they did. If you didn't trust them, that is your own stupid fault.

Deleted
    I know it sucks but don't give access to people you can't trust.

Only I have unlimited access to our Gbank's gold and even my two officers have limited access to the expensive stuff in it and not because I don't trust them but in case they get hacked or whatever (we're a guild that like 90% of us know each other IRL too).

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Not stealing.

You gave them the allowance to take that much, and they did. If you didn't trust them, that is your own stupid fault.
    Exactly this. The only time you will get things back is when the person in question got hacked or is otherwise acting against the rules.

Fact 1: The person did not steal, they only used permissions that your guild gave them.
    Fact 2: It is not GM responsibility to restore lost items.
    Fact 3: Game is not losing subs due to GM behaviour, clearly you have not dealt with GM from other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Did he transfer/rename his character? If he's still around, I recommend character assassination. Let everyone know he can't be trusted.
    That's bannable now since Blizzard thinks this is kindergarten and we should all be forced to play nice with each other. Can't call people out for being a ninja/thief or it's "harassment".

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Not stealing.

This really, permissions for taking stuff from a guild bank is a guild issue, if the guild bank tabs are set for him to take stuff, game-technically there's nothing wrong with him doing so, ethically it's a pretty crappy thing to do all the same, but Blizz do enforcement of game rules, not ethical ones...

Deleted
    It's not okay. I doubt many people think it's an okay thing to do - but it's not against the rules. It's ethically a poor move and you should kick the persons alts if they have any etc. from your guild - and depending what they stole, you may even want to check what guild they go to, and send the guild master a brief mail just politely letting them know they were kicked for guild bank stealing, not to be petty or vindictive - but just to let that Guild master be aware so it doesn't happen to them too.

But it's up to you to protect your guild bank, not for customer support to help you for trusting the wrong person. You promoted him and gave him access, you trusted him, he betrayed you - that's a personal and ethical violation, not something in the terms of service. Blizzard can only work on hard facts, the hard facts are they have a log of you giving him permission to take from the guild bank - by promoting him and giving him access to it.

Sucks, but don't let it get to you, maybe re-evaluate your access rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    That's bannable now since Blizzard thinks this is kindergarten and we should all be forced to play nice with each other. Can't call people out for being a ninja/thief or it's "harassment".
    You can in game. Just not on the forums.

And indeed, it's not stealing, he had permission to take a certain number of items from certain tabs.