Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Upgrade priority

As title says:
    Which parts of your gear, are you going to upgrade first when 5.3 hits?

For me it would be Weapon and trinkets.

Deleted
    I will upgrade anything that is bis, that said all my bis tier pieces / some hc thunderforged items and my wep, lei shen trinkets, Then I will save vp until I get bis for the slots and upgrade then.

Deleted
    Weapon + trinkets, we wont kill ra-den this tier so also my hc tier legs and hc thunderforged belt from jikun too. Add tier chest and animus head also, won't be seeing that down on hc for a couple of months.

Deleted
    ill be upgrading all the items i know i wont be able to replace fast, so ill be upgrading my tf mh, oh, legs and ring as i wont be able to replace them anytime soon. Assuming ofc we get to save our VP so we can instantly upgrade our items the moment 5.3 is released.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2013-05-19 at 04:50 PM.

Deleted
    I'm in an awkward positions where I've had terrible luck getting anything I'd consider BIS.

My weapons are H-spirit sword and the mag offhand, but we're killing H-Horridon so I'd rather get the staff from him (taking the spirit sword meant the one that has dropped went to a shadowpriest, woe is me).

After that the usual go-to is trinkets, but with no Hydra yet, I generally use Wooshoo's (which is normal, but we're working on council), and then cha-ye's as destro, but UVOLS is used for demo / afflic, so I'd rather not split my upgrades on trinkets I don't use on both specs.

The only notable heroic drops I've got are Tortos bracers and Jin gloves, both of which give less stats per ilevel than chest / legs etc, so I'll probably be upgrading pieces of gear that I "expect" to replace soon, which sucks - but it beats sitting on VP that could be helping with progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Weapons > trinkets > chest/legs

Deleted
    I feel with the reduced cost to upgrade we can be a bit more frivolous anyway (assuming VP does NOT reset). It's 500 for the double upgrade correct?

VP won't reset, it's 500 VP/fully upgraded piece.
    Assuming you have 3k VP when the patch hits you'll be able to upgrade 8 full items assuming you get your 1k VP/week as well.
    My plan is to upgrade trinkets / weapon / tier head, chest, shoulders, boots and belt.
    Thazzle, Warlock in <Sanitas> on Frostwhisper-EU, World #3 10man guild.
    Sanitas Guild Website
    Main Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Weapons > trinkets > chest/legs
    I thought chest and legs were first for casters?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Pryda/advanced

I am far from BiS but I will be doing wep/Lei Shen trinket prior to raid and hoping for good drops throughout the raid. Once we are at Lei Shen I will most likely upgrade my haste trinket and 541 ring. I was wondering how good the 4pc actually is for Demonology since I have 541 dark animus heroic helm and 535 haste/mastery chest which are both better than the 522s in both slots which are currently getting me my 4pc.

If anyone can help me in this choice I would greatly appreciate it.

Heroic TF wand / TF UVLS / any other bis items i have (obviously TF UVLS isn't bis, but my guild is only 9/13h)

The best way to know for sure what to upgrade is to simulate it using Simcraft. As a general guide:

The absolute top priority is the weapon. Upgrading the weapon alone will grant you about 4 times the dps gain compared to if you upgrade a ring/wrist.
    Second priority are trinkets, particularly if you have a RPPM trinket. Anything you can do to increase the proc rate will help smoothen out the RNG.
    Third priority are the big pieces like Chest/Legs, since they have a lot more stats on them compared to rings for example.

Another thing you would like to consider: only upgrade things that you will not be replacing anytime soon. If you can get a better piece from a boss that you are currently having on farm, you might want to put that on a lower priority.

Deleted
    I am curious about this aswell.

Especially for us (Who raid 10), and are not done with progression yet - Half done for me (6/13).

I am most likely not gonna see a TF wep soon, but I feel like I should be upgrading my weapon (Or atleast when I get a heroic wep, damm you Horridon).

All TF HC items should be upgradet ofc!

I don't feel like normal items should be upgraded?

Deleted
    In terms of dps-value for VP it's:
    Weapon > Trinkets > Legs, Chest, Helmet > Shoulders, Gloves > Feet, Waist > Back, Wrist, Amulet, Rings.

Obviously there's more to it than just that, upgrading a shoulder with better itemization than a chest can easily be better, but that's very specific. It's a safe bet that upgrading your weapon will be the biggest dps increase, by a margin.
    I intend to upgrade my weapon, chest, gloves and bracers ASAP.

Filth's post is spot on for the DPS value for the items. The itemization in terms of secondary stats is pretty close this tier. As a general rule, you might want to prioritise Haste and Mastery above Crit for all three specs. Affliction, Haste and Mastery are better. For Destruction, all three are pretty close, but avoiding Crit is a good idea for Aff/Demo off spec. For Demo, Crit is devalued due to Unerring Vision.

I'm in a bad spot ... I'm swimming in more hit than I know what to do with ... and all the pieces I'd upgrade right now (thunderforged bracers, weapon, wush trink) have hit on them.

No idea what I'm going to do. I don't want to keep my staff but I'm not getting a mh+oh anytime soon. Really didn't want to take the bracers I have (random stat -- a shit-ton of expertise), but I didn't want to see thunderforged gear that could get used get sharded.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I'm in a bad spot ... I'm swimming in more hit than I know what to do with ... and all the pieces I'd upgrade right now (thunderforged bracers, weapon, wush trink) have hit on them.

No idea what I'm going to do. I don't want to keep my staff but I'm not getting a mh+oh anytime soon. Really didn't want to take the bracers I have (random stat -- a shit-ton of expertise), but I didn't want to see thunderforged gear that could get used get sharded.
    Depends on alot of stuff, but since our 4pc ain't that great, you can always drop it and switch into offpieces if that helps your case.

That's a problem that many of us are having. Way too much hit. Wushoolay is a big culprit of this. Consider gemming into Stamina + Secondary Stat. For example, Timeless Imperial Amethyst with 80 intellect and 120 Stamina. At least the Stamina is marginally useful. Extra Hit is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by rubbishgames View Post
    That's a problem that many of us are having. Way too much hit. Wushoolay is a big culprit of this. Consider gemming into Stamina + Secondary Stat. For example, Timeless Imperial Amethyst with 80 intellect and 120 Stamina. At least the Stamina is marginally useful. Extra Hit is useless.
    Stamina is dead stat for dps though. If you get only half value out of gem, depending on piece it might be better to ignore socket bonuses and go all in for best secondary in all gem slots.

I wish I had such problems, our guild still haven't seen a single caster dps trinket this tier in team of 5 wizards...

I'd go wep > trinkets > heroic+tforged > heroic > tforged > reg gear. I'd also skip cloak since the 600ilvl "cloak of zomg" isn't that far off. If you have 3K banked you can get 6x pieces 2/2 upgraded before raid tuesday. If you have alot of free time, are masochistic, or a good group you can get another 1K out of the first week meaning 8x pieces fully upgraded. Since you get 2x pieces a week and depending on your loot system are unlikely to get that many pieces per week its better to spend it to fuel progression.