Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    A few weeks ago I played Pokemon Blue, one of my childhoods favorite games.
    And while I did recognize the things that made me love it, there was so many broken or inconvenient things that made me shut it off. It's not the same, and I am not the same anymore.

Same with WoW. Going back to classic today would be fun, for the wrong reasons. "Really? Survival's final talent is a melee dot that deals less damage than REND?!", no LFR, no LFD, no glyphs, no dual spec, no stat conversion (spirit to hit), no reforge, no transmog, no arenas.. pvp talent trees, pve trees, leveling trees, only warrior tanks, hybrid? go heal or you're useless.

Difference with WoW today and back then, the devs now know what they are doing. oh plate with spirit and agility, how I miss you.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Is the golden age of WoW truly gone? Days that are never coming back?

What do you guys think?
    will typewriters ever be useful again? will the cathode ray tube television ever come back into style?

WoW is what it is, if you dont like it dont play. but it will never, and should never, go back to what it used to be.

can WoW get better? of course it can. but it wont do it by reverting to a more primitive state.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    Probably not, for me personally Cataclysm was so awful that it killed any interest I had in retail WoW, though WolK was already falling apart towards the end of the expansion. I've heard MoP is better, but honestly I can't really see any evidence that the game has improved enough for me to find it appealing.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Titan, though its probably misplaced. I really don't think Blizzard is the same company it once was.

The more pertinent question is whether the playerbase will or not.

I'm guessing not.

I don't want it to go back to how stagnant and limiting the game used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerkx View Post
    Nope it will never be what it once was. But I'll always remember how it used to be. <3
    Never going be what it was

No, and thank God for that. On a subjective level? Up to each individual, but to me the game is just as fun and more right now as it was when I began. The only difference being that I have more experience, and can enjoy it differently from when I was completely new.

It's a game that's moving forward, don't like it? Shame. You would probably be happy for a while if it was reversed back to classic or tbc or whatever, and then you'd fall back into the same state of mind. Why? Because YOU have changed as well. Some get to keep their love for hobbies or people, others lose it as life changes them just as much if not more as the hobbie/person they loved.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2013-05-20 at 08:21 PM.

The golden days of WoW are gone.
    The good news is the sources say Blizzard is re-implemented Vanilla in the next expansion along with new content for those that don't want the old ones.

WoW will never be the same to me because the sense of adventure of an unexplored world is gone. I know all the names of all the places and faces, it's all the same. Rift has provided that mysterious unexplored world feeling for me now though.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by soulzek View Post
    The golden days of WoW are gone.
    The good news is the sources say Blizzard is re-implemented Vanilla in the next expansion along with new content for those that don't want the old ones.
    Don't play with me like that bro

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    the ONLY downside is that the community that has become a bit less open and friendly than it used to be. But that's not the fault of the game itself.
    It's true that it isn't the FAULT of the game for the bad attitude of the community. It's hard to place any blame, really, but it's undeniable that the game used to promote community heavily. It was more or less necessary to form and contribute to a server's community, but without being essentially forced toward a sense of community (needing to form groups by communicating with others, not being able to replace people at the push of a button, needing large amounts of - preferably good - players to raid even the lowest, easiest tiers of raids, not being able to server transfer away from a bad reputation, etc.) the community doesn't thrive as easily.

Surely the playerbase can form and nurture a community on its own, but it doesn't. It doesn't do it because it's not forced to. It's not the game's fault. Surely, it's very easy to argue that things are much better this way. You can leave a group because of an emergency or because it's horrible without feeling bad for stranding them without a tank, you can replace a horrible player easily, you don't always need a mage and a rogue in your group, you can get groups even if you're new or bad or an overplayed class, etc. If there are no guilds that meet your raiding schedule needs, you can transfer. You can more easily play with your friends, etc. etc. The game has seen huge overhauls and surely huge improvements. It would be wrong to say that it's the game's fault for ruining itself when it was making itself much better in the long haul.

I'm not arguing for 'good' or 'bad', but as for the original topic - "Will WoW ever be what it once was?" - this specific detail plays a huge role.

WoW can never be what it once was due to changes like these that can never be reverted. The developers may try to add new ways or change or tweak old systems in order to promote (i.e., force) the players to create a sense of community - that was their mentality for the whole harmony thing - but without players doing it on their own, it won't happen.

And this detail is actually the most significant difference in what WoW is now and what it used to be, at least in my opinion. Furthermore, with the community stuck in this mindset - that there is no real community anymore - it will be very hard to try and urge them back into it, even with changes and tweaks to the in-game systems.

I'm assuming of course that the OP's question was more leaning towards an overall feeling about the game rather than logistically and mechanically what it used to be, because that's a bad, obvious question.

10+ Year Old Account
    The golden age was TBC... PvP was amazing... PvE was amazing... hell, the entire game was amazing. Never in my gaming experience was I so drawn to a video game. WoW blew my mind away and I didn't think I'd ever quit if it followed that model. Too bad it didn't. How can you argue the game is better now when there's no more class diversity? How is giving everyone a kick, silence and CC a good thing? All that poor class balancing did, was make OP comps more OP. With all the current issues that WoW had, I figured blizzard would make those issues number one priority, but unfortunately, they thought transmog and pet battles had a higher priority. TBC nailed it on raiding... if anyone says raiding is as good as it was then, they're lying and were just a noob who saw little to no progression during that time. If you were a small guild, you'd run kara until your raid was geared enough to tackle ZA. Since there was no LFG or LFR, people were naturally more nice since you ran the risk of being black listed if you were a total prick. Since people were more nice, guilds got along better and finding people for a raid wasn't difficult in the slightest bit. If you needed an extra and no one in your guild was on... all you had to do was pull up the LF tab and find the raid you needed people for... it would show you a list of who wanted to do that raid and all you had to do was send them a whisper asking for their experience and some number... i can't even remember what else i'd ask, but I knew it was something, not ilvl haha. Anyways, you could go the 10 man route or you could do gruuls or mag and move onto SSC or TK. The raids weren't easy either... it took time and even when sunwell was being released... people were still struggling with Kara and ZA. Content lasted a LOT longer in TBC than it does now... you'd see guilds advertising their progression for TK/SSC when sunwell just got nerfed.

This question is all opinionated though... I feel my opinion has a lot more evidence than others, only because I was lucky enough to play the game hardcore during its best times... I feel like people read this and act like i'm trying to gloat about playing the game when it was better... I'm really not, the game was just flat out better... If you happen to disagree... why don't you go and do your multiple raids? Oh there's only one? ToT? Why isn't there multiple raids for each tier? And some say the game is better now... haha.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    WoW will never be the same to me because the sense of adventure of an unexplored world is gone. I know all the names of all the places and faces, it's all the same. Rift has provided that mysterious unexplored world feeling for me now though.
    And one day, that will change as well since no mmo offers constant changes.

Me? I'm lucky, when I love something, I rarely "fall out" of love with it...or him/her.

The MMO part is no longer in its golden age as 95% of AAA subscription based games had to go f2p in order to survive.

All these MMO's crashed on the Highway to get to that subscription money and are now being sold as total wreckage with "no cost" to play.

So MANY new noob players will come across these earlier p2p failures and will not be impressed (because if they were good they would not have crashed on the subscription high way in the first place)

Now WoW hangs in there in a market that went free to play with VERY mediocre f2p game play: like extreme unresponsive engines, dull liniair 10 year old quest mechanics and a game play that wants to suck money from every newbie entering a "new" zone or in search of some extra bag space...

So will the golden age return ? Not with these failed f2p duds.

The only hope for a new wind in MMORPG land lays on the lonely shoulders of Jeff Kaplan now and I give him a 40% chance.

If not the MMORPG dream will end in an endless swamp of Crazy Birds and other rather meaningless Tablet games.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    The golden age was TBC... PvP was amazing... PvE was amazing... hell, the entire game was amazing. Never in my gaming experience was I so drawn to a video game. WoW blew my mind away and I didn't think I'd ever quit if it followed that model. Too bad it didn't. How can you argue the game is better now when there's no more class diversity? How is giving everyone a kick, silence and CC a good thing? All that poor class balancing did, was make OP comps more OP. With all the current issues that WoW had, I figured blizzard would make those issues number one priority, but unfortunately, they thought transmog and pet battles had a higher priority. TBC nailed it on raiding... if anyone says raiding is as good as it was then, they're lying and were just a noob who saw little to no progression during that time. If you were a small guild, you'd run kara until your raid was geared enough to tackle ZA. Since there was no LFG or LFR, people were naturally more nice since you ran the risk of being black listed if you were a total prick. Since people were more nice, guilds got along better and finding people for a raid wasn't difficult in the slightest bit. If you needed an extra and no one in your guild was on... all you had to do was pull up the LF tab and find the raid you needed people for... it would show you a list of who wanted to do that raid and all you had to do was send them a whisper asking for their experience and some number... i can't even remember what else i'd ask, but I knew it was something, not ilvl haha. Anyways, you could go the 10 man route or you could do gruuls or mag and move onto SSC or TK. The raids weren't easy either... it took time and even when sunwell was being released... people were still struggling with Kara and ZA. Content lasted a LOT longer in TBC than it does now... you'd see guilds advertising their progression for TK/SSC when sunwell just got nerfed.

This question is all opinionated though... I feel my opinion has a lot more evidence than others, only because I was lucky enough to play the game hardcore during its best times... I feel like people read this and act like i'm trying to gloat about playing the game when it was better... I'm really not, the game was just flat out better... If you happen to disagree... why don't you go and do your multiple raids? Oh there's only one? ToT? Why isn't there multiple raids for each tier? And some say the game is better now... haha.
    "This is my opinion and if you disagree then you are a noob that is wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    Game is just too old, people have been there and done that. It will never have the same mystery or effect it once did, no matter what they do to it.
    It's not as old as Madden NFL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

"Hi, I was the 1%, so the game was awesome"
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    And one day, that will change as well since no mmo offers constant changes.

Me? I'm lucky, when I love something, I rarely "fall out" of love with it...or him/her.
    I think he was referring to having to go out and go to places rather than sit around and have some system teleport you. I loved that feeling of having someone else from the group run with you to the summoning stone... Some of my favorite memories involve running to a summoning stone and coming across a few alliance who wanted to battle it out. Chasing them up and down barrens. Now you rarely see anyone out and about unless their leveling or trying to gank lowbies.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

You're not gloating, but you are showing that you're completely unaware about a very simple fact...what you feel about something, doesn't make that feeling fact for everyone. .

I play the game right now, I don't sit on forums missing old times or feeling sorry for myself for not enjoying it anymore, and I feel a very distinct joy from each of my toons (I have one of each class), I have lots of fun with the raids (players asked for one big raid, and got it with ToT, before that it was multiple raids for the tier) and enjoying the game as much and more as ever. No amount of "I played it when it was THE BEST!!" can change this...it gives me entertainment, but that's about it really. Your opinion has no more evidence than anyone elses, since it's an opinion.

The old wow sucked, the new wow sucks.

You have to learn this if you want to exist on these forums.