Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

PVP Gemming in 5.3

So, I've not been looking into the PTR too much, but from what I'm hearing its going to be not worth gemming PVP Power or Resilience anymore. So I was wondering if anyone knows whats best for each of the following, primarily in 2's and Random BG's. Armories are in my Signature for most (One or two Server Transferred yesterday so not ready yet, and working on my DK(s) in 5.3).

Arms Warrior - Currently likes to die in Stuns whilst in Defensive Stance with 1H and Shield equipped in 2's.
    Ret Paladin
    Frost Mage
    Sub Rogue
    Disc Priest
    Destro Lock
    Frost and Blood DK
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Well already as a DK you should be going strength > pvp power in slots already because of how much DKs get from strength compared to warriors and paladins
    I see no reason to change from hemming resilience as a paladin because you are still going to get trained post patch
    Disc is a healer - gem resil
    Destructions a bit iffy because it really depends on how you play - if you never touch ember tap and sustain yourself well gem resil otherwise gem Int. pvp power and use ember tap

That's really all I can speak for I have those classes
    Come forth coward and answer for your crimes!!

Deleted
    Def stance will be 25% in 5.3 and you'll continue to spend more time in def stance than in battle stance. Gemming resi will improve battle stance much more than defensive stance because resilience and mitigation stack multiplicatively.

If you have 65% resi
    Battle stance: 1 - 0.35 => 65% total mitigation
    Defensive stance: 1 - 0.35 * 0.75 => 73.75 % total mitigation

If you have 70% resi
    Battle stance: 1 - 0.3 => 70% total mitigation
    Defensive stance: 1 - 0.3 * 0.75 => 77.5% total mitigation

As you can see the improvement is more noticeable for battle stance than for defensive stance

On my warr I'll gem for crit next patch, more enrage uptime and more rage is good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
    I see no reason to change from hemming resilience as a paladin because you are still going to get trained post patch
    All the more reason to gem resilience. I plan on trying Strength gems for a while to see the difference, but if the bonus healing doesn't work out it'll be back to resilience. Even if it is only 2-3% more resilience, that's still a big bump in damage reduction.

10+ Year Old Account
    just gem your main stat,its always a + dps increase regardless.might not always be the best +dps but still will increase dps either way.give it some time for the math heads to run #'s once the patch goes live,but im thinking main stats will be best to gem for.

Deleted
    As dk you will be definitely be gemming strength, it's the best dps stat already, and it also increases damage more than resilience gem would reduce it. But the bonus resilience from socket bonuses doesn't change so you will probably still want to match those, because otherwise you will just get killed too fast, but it all also depends on comp, for double healer dk you might just go full strength gems with base resilience changes. Depends on class and spec, but if you won't get one shot, you will want to go main stats as much as possible. Some classes like lock which already have good survival will go almost all int, fire mage will probably go crit as they alreayd do, while others like healers will still probably want to go mainly resil.

Deleted
    What abount WW monk? Agility-pvp power?

It's raw stats for pretty much everyone.* I bet they're trying to phase out pvp stats all together.

* some classes will go for spirit, crit, haste, mastery etc, but pvp power and resil won't see as much use.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobray View Post
    Definitely not pvp power, so most likely agi-resil. Probably full agi, and matching sockets, possibly some resil if you die too much, this should be equation for almost all classes. You can exchange the agi with whatever gives you the most damage or the most burst, but it's not pvp power for any class anymore, only downside to this, there won't be market for those for jewelcrafters, but that is already the case for some gems, anyhow pure stat gems are usually cheaper as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cobray View Post
    For my WW Im considering the following:

Reds - Agi
    Yellows - Agi+Crit
    Blues - Agi+Power doesnt really excite me. Im looking at going Agi+Hit, and then forging all the hit on my gear back into crit. In a roundabout way, its like Im gemming agi+crit in blues. The downside here is that there may not be enough Hit on the gems to make a difference at all.

Still open to better ideas tho...
    Last edited by Steenk; 2013-05-20 at 08:30 PM.

Destro is going to be going Int, Int+Mastery, or Int+Power.

As a Mistweaver, im thinking INT, INT/SPIR, INT/CRIT

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting to note, it sounds like Power/Resil isn't important much now. Also thanks for the information WW Monk, it's me and a friend who do cap every week and our comps are Arms Warr - WW Monk, Ret Pala - Frost Mage, Frost Mage - Arms Warr.

Also, is it Agility for Hunters and Rogues as well? Assuming our current setups Horde wise will be Disc Priest - Hunter, Sub Rogue - Ret Pala and Assas Rogue - Destro Lock.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregz21 View Post
    Def stance will be 25% in 5.3 and you'll continue to spend more time in def stance than in battle stance. Gemming resi will improve battle stance much more than defensive stance because resilience and mitigation stack multiplicatively.

If you have 65% resi
    Battle stance: 1 - 0.35 => 65% total mitigation
    Defensive stance: 1 - 0.35 * 0.75 => 73.75 % total mitigation

If you have 70% resi
    Battle stance: 1 - 0.3 => 70% total mitigation
    Defensive stance: 1 - 0.3 * 0.75 => 77.5% total mitigation

As you can see the improvement is more noticeable for battle stance than for defensive stance

On my warr I'll gem for crit next patch, more enrage uptime and more rage is good.

Yes... and going from 0% reduction to 2% reduction is a bigger increase in reduction than going from 98 to 99%, however, 98 to 99% reduction will double your expected lifetime whereas going from 0 to 2% won't affect you much at all.

Basically you miss the reason for why diminishing returns was added on armor for example.

on my warrior i have gemmed the following
    yellows - crit
    red - crit/str
    blues - crit/stam

now that resilience and pvp power gems have been reduced by 50%, i believe stamina will actually be decent, i gained another 5000 hp so it isnt too bad, any damage lost will be made up from slightly more enraged uptime, sitting on 21% crit and loving it.

going almost full crit gems on my ww monk with two agi/crit gems in chest and helmet. Constant pressure is good, but it's the 2-3 lucky crits in a row that actually kill shit.

I'm saying screw it to this patch.

reds = agi
    yellow = pure resil
    blue = pure stam

I'm at 440K health on my rogue buffed with fort now.

Quote Originally Posted by discoepfeand View Post
    I'm saying screw it to this patch.

reds = agi
    yellow = pure resil
    blue = pure stam

I'm at 440K health on my rogue buffed with fort now.
    lol wat. stamina gems instead of agi/pvp power?

Continue to gem for resilience if you're a healer.

If you're a dps class, your main stat (str, agil, or intel) is better than pvp power.

On my warlock, I don't even bother with the pvp gear anymore and just wear my raid gear in bg/arena and I'm doing just fine. As far as I'm concerned scaled down raid gear is miles ahead of the 476 honor gear now PLUS it has more sockets in most cases. PvP power is beyond useless in it's current state.

Honestly, mind = blown about some of the bonehead decisions Blizzard makes. I'm wondering if they'll bring back pvp power/resil in full force for 5.4. One can hope. This patch is a mess and a half.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2013-05-22 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Continue to gem for resilience if you're a healer.
    Depends on the healer you play and if you mostly play arena or rbg. Full resilience on a monk or druid? Not so much.