Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there a special tape to seal gasoline lines?

I have a leak in one of my gas lines on my car. I read that yellow teflon tape seals natural gas no problem. Would it work the same for gasoline lines in vehicles?

Or is there another specialized tape or sealant to fix this?

Deleted
    I wouldn't mess around with a gas line, it'll end up costing you much more in the long run.

Either resign yourself to a fisting at the mechanics, or get a friend who is one - fast.

Yeah got to agree here. Best to consult an expert especially with a gas line issue. You are correct yellow is for gas, but not liquid.

Its a 1997 Cavalier. Not going to drop $600 into it. I would never see the money again. Just looking for something that would last awhile. If I have to wrap yellow teflon tape around that thing a lot, then thats what ill do. But im just curious if there is a specialized tape that can fix this.

The benzene and toluene compounds in the fuel would dissolve the glue if not the tape within a very short period of time. I think you're going to have to get a new fuel line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Duct tape ofc.

http://www.rescuetape.com/

Traditional tape will not work. Silicone tape can work, but ideally you need a new fuel line, or at least to replace the bad section.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-05-22 at 03:10 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Its a 1997 Cavalier. Not going to drop $600 into it. I would never see the money again. Just looking for something that would last awhile. If I have to wrap yellow teflon tape around that thing a lot, then thats what ill do. But im just curious if there is a specialized tape that can fix this.
    600 is a bit pricey, surely it'd be 3/400 or less?

And no tape, known to man - will hold a gas line, it's a common issue really the bit it revolves around is changing the hose. If you know the inside well you could give it a go yourself and get hold of a hose, and do a DIY replace (which is, pretty simple)

But we are talking of a gas line, and it is dangerous if your not qualified in dealing with it, if not this route for a sure fix - try and find some tape, but you'll be lucky to get one that'll last a week.

For gas tanks and gasoline lines, tape won't do at all. Lifehack redneck alert, go buy three things, 120 grit sandpaper, a bar of ivory soap, and some Marine Tex epoxy. http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html
    sand down the pipe to clean the pipe from outside contaminates, then rub the bar of ivory soap on the crack (this is actually strong enough to get you by for 1000 miles) after a couple hours there's something about ivory soap and gasoline it turns the soap into rock. Cover everything with the epoxy, and you're good to go, just don't touch that stuff with bare skin. If the crack is bigger then your pinky finger, skip the soap.
    and if you clog the line with the soap, you're screwed, so be smart about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tape won't do it.

If you insist on patching it rather than replacing it, use an epoxy like JB Weld.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/
    Or

The JB Weld. I should be able to pick that up locally. The rescue tape I believe I need to order it online.
    Which do you think would do a better job?

Deleted
    http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/
    Or

The JB Weld. I should be able to pick that up locally. The rescue tape I believe I need to order it online.
    Which do you think would do a better job?
    None will work as petrol will eat right through it.

Why not get a bit of pipe and 2x pipe clips and cut out or just cover the leaking pipe?

Also gasoline/petrol isnt gas/natural gas.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2013-05-22 at 04:44 PM.

I have a leak in one of my gas lines on my car. I read that yellow teflon tape seals natural gas no problem. Would it work the same for gasoline lines in vehicles?

Technically the only 'repair' would be to cut the area where its leaking, insert a 2 sided connector (for fuel lines) then put clamps on either sides. If its a metal braided line you need to change it. And the pressure in the gas tank will also be dangerous if you dont have good connector/clamps.

Teflon (tape or liquid) will dissolve in fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Technically the only 'repair' would be to cut the area where its leaking, insert a 2 sided connector (for fuel lines) then put clamps on either sides. If its a metal braided line you need to change it. And the pressure in the gas tank will also be dangerous if you dont have good connector/clamps.

Teflon (tape or liquid) will dissolve in fuel.
    +1 , i would also use this as an excuse to upgrade to s/s braided lines.. it's not that expensive.. parts+labor should cost less than $600 for a 95-97 cavalier

Deleted
    Gas lines are in general not fixed by tape, they arer replaced.

Where the fuck do you live that you would have to pay 600 dollars for a gas line which you want to repair with freaking duck tape?!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

ok first of all, like already said before NO to taping it. No to J.B.Weld 2 part epoxy, no to marinetex. your fuel line is PRESSURIZED, thats why it wont work.besides you leaking gas (@ 3.50+ per gallon) its also illegal and very dangerous to try and backyard fix it. If its braided line then that line has to be changed before it bursts open and your stuck somewhere hopefully not on fire. If its plastic line or metal line then you can safely repair it by cutting out the bad section and installing a new section in place. Thats if you have the tools to do it. if not take it to a garage and get it fixed, it should not cost more than $200 bucks to repair a small section of line DEPENDING where its leaking from. Don't go to a dealership to have it repaired, it'll cost you way to much because of the very high dealer labor rates, visit your local neighborhood garage.
    Edit: one more thing, if its a rubber hose type line thats leaking, its because the flex joint areas rubber fuel line was used to just that reason body flex to not crack the line over time. One thing about the older cars is gasoline didn't have the methanol blends like they do today. Methanol eats the class 7 fuel hoses, thats why all the newer cars that have rubber hose have class 9 rubber fuel line to prevent the deterioration of the rubber hose.

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    +1 , i would also use this as an excuse to upgrade to s/s braided lines.. it's not that expensive.. parts+labor should cost less than $600 for a 95-97 cavalier
    you don't want to use stainless steel tubing because as the car body flexes with bumps and turns and what not the line will flex aswell causing the line to crack. the kind of line I use and also suggest is nickle/copper line (Ni-Co).
    Last edited by Dewragg; 2013-05-22 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added additional info to reply.

10+ Year Old Account

As to the yellow teflon tape...No. It works by creating an airtight seal, as natural gas is a gas...not a liquid.

And as for a specialized kind of sealant. Go to auto-zone or a place like that and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewragg View Post
    you don't want to use stainless steel tubing because as the car body flexes with bumps and turns and what not the line will flex aswell causing the line to crack. the kind of line I use and also suggest is nickle/copper line (Ni-Co).
    which is why you go with braided lines... not solid.. specifically to avoid that problem you mentioned LOL

This sounds like the start to one of the "Lessons Learned" emails I get from work after a safety incident...

By natural gas do you mean like cooking/heating gas?
    Gasoline is a liquid.