Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    So a quick side story....the other day I walking through my jarage when I noticed I jot a jift from my jirlfriend. It was a 500 Jijabit SSD. I was jlad and jijjled a little with jlee. I thought it was jreat and would jo nicely with my new jaming system.
    lulz. Just to be clear, I'm not saying the English language is sensible or even rational in any way. But Graphics starts with a hard G. That, in my mind, settles all.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I would assume the Spanish, as in El Jefe.
    Correct, in spanish speaking cultures, graphics interchange format files are called "El Gif"

I also need help with tomato, schedule, and caramel.

If you guys are planning on finishing up with gif soon, your help would be appreciated.

lulz. Just to be clear, I'm not saying the English language is sensible or even rational in any way. But Graphics starts with a hard G. That, in my mind, settles all.
    To me that settles it as well.

We are all posting in the G(J)eneral forums...so an acronym that you could pronounce that begins with general would be said with a "j" sound. I don't get how anyone would confuse that when GIF is based of the word G(G)raphics.

So yeah, all joking aside, it's got to be a hard G in gif.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's mind blowingly stupid for him to say it's jif when it's based on a G-word that, in all English dialects I know, starts with a hard G. Period.

General? certainly isn't a hard g...

Quote Originally Posted by HeroZero View Post
    Except it is based on the word 'Graphics' not general.

That would make sense, if the acronym was general interchange format.

I'll paraphrase the person you quoted so you understand the point they were making:

It's mind blowingly stupid for him to say gif is "jif" when gif is based on a G-word - "Graphics" - that, in all English dialects I know, starts with a hard G. Period.

So he wasn't saying all English words that start with the letter "G" use a Hard G, he said the word "graphics" is always pronounced with a hard G in every English dialect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Except it is based on the word 'Graphics' not general.
    did i say it did? nope sure didn't i was refuting what Belf had said. Personally I think it is gif not jif.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    It's always been pronounced with a J. Pronouncing it with a G is just too harsh, the pronunciation doesn't have to match the acronym; it's easier to change how you say something than it is to have an acronym that doesn't make sense. Jaguar Interchange Format just wouldn't make sense.
    Too harsh? I always pronounce it in dutch: with a rough, throat-scraping sound. One of the few exceptions where I don't pronounce a word as it is 'supposed' to.

did i say it did? nope sure didn't i was refuting what Belf had said. Personally I think it is gif not jif.
    What? You didn't refute anything. You said 'general isn't a hard g sound' to someone saying the acronym is based on a word with a hard G sound.

yeah...you weren't actually refuting anything. You made a completely different point to what Belf saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah...you weren't actually refuting anything. You made a completely different point to what Belf saying.
    Yes i did for what they had said, you instead put extra words into their proverbial mouth. ^_^

It's Jill not Gil.
    __

What does it matter, people are reading the word 99%(probably) of the time.

Yes i did for what they had said, you instead put extra words into their proverbial mouth. ^_^
    huh? Belf said the word, "graphics", is always pronounced with a hard G. You responded to that saying the word, "general", is not. While you are right, it has nothing to do with what Belf said. And how does saying 'general' starts with a j sound refute that graphics starts with a hard g?

huh? Belf said the word, "graphics", is always pronounced with a hard G. You responded to that saying the word, "general", is not. While you are right, it has nothing to do with what Belf said. And how does saying 'general' starts with a j sound refute that graphics starts with a hard g?
    What? I said Graphics.

I didn't say General. I didn't say Generic. I didn't say anything with a soft G.

I said, among other things, that I understand English doesn't always make sense. Paraphrasing now, I also said I don't know any English dialect where Graphics is said with anything but a hard G.

So.... yeah.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I read it as the "G-word" being GIF itself rather than the words it is derived from.

It must be that time for me. In the words of Samuel L Jackson "Go the Fuck to SLEEP".
    Last edited by HeroZero; 2013-05-23 at 07:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I've always pronounced it Jif anyway.

And really, it's spelled gif but that doesn't mean it's pronounced gif, English would have to make sense for that to happen.

A question for all the hard-core "I'll-call-it-Gif-with-a-hard-G-forever-because-it's-a-G-not-a-J-hahahaha" posters.

How do you pronounce the words "German", "Ginger", and "Genius"?
    Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorontur View Post
    A question for all the hard-core "I'll-call-it-Gif-with-a-hard-G-forever-because-it's-a-G-not-a-J-hahahaha" posters.

Just saying...
    A question for you.

How do you pronounce the word 'Graphics', which is what the G in .gif stands for.
    Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorontur View Post

Just saying...
    gills, gift, gilded, giggle, give, girl, giddy