Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    All this tells me is they really have zero clue what they're doing and are just tossing out random numbers to see which causes the least complaints. Sad.
    They know what they are doing... they are nerfing dps gain from intentional taking damage you are not supposed to take. In normal conditions you ll almost never reach vengeance cap and it ll have minimal impact on those tanks - they ll most likely still be in top5 in most of the encounters.

It ll no longer be viable tactic to stack Anima Ring on your paladin tank or solo tank whole fight despite stacking debuffs. It is good change...

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    Who gives a fuck if the tanks are outdpsing everyone. You should see it as a good thing; your raid is getting a lot of extra dps making fights a lot easier. If you have a paladin tank, it's a double bonus since you have a lot of heals going out.

But no, it seems like people care more about their own ego than the actual ability of their raid as a whole, and they would rather see fights become harder as a result of tank nerfs than tanks doing high dps on tough fights.

Apparently, damage dealers are not satisfied with tanks being screwed out of Brawler's Guild and PvP.

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 05:08 PM ----------

If you would actually read the thread regarding the topic on the official WoW tank forums, you would see actual problems with this change. On high damage fights i.e. heroics, it may be a really big problem. It is also a much unneeded change and will only result in stamina having a much higher value (it is already the highest value stat by far for Paladins at least), and average raid dps on heroic fights becoming lower.
    Tank DPS isn't free, ok? All fights are designed with the tank dps in mind. Blizzard alread said that. So if they lower tank dps, they'll balance/develop encounters for that.

What they don't want are "clever mechanics" to have more tank dps than intended, wich also generally put unecessary strain on healers (and screw their fights intended for 2 tanks wich also make one class way better than others, since that class can solo tank while the others can't. They don't want this).

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 12:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hexz View Post
    Your paladin gearing haste has nothing to do with failing on tortos, haste is fantastic for aoe tanking, I one tank tortos as most paladins do with haste step up, it was more likely your healers failed at keeping his shield topped up.

Anyways on this topic, stupid nerf, pointless and it will actually hurt fights where you can easily gain vengeance, i mean god look at horidon, wth are we meant to do on the enrage when we are suddenly getting half the vengeance, there goes our active mitigation..

Seriously what does this stop people doing 1 Tanking Council or Megaera, its like a cheap bandage, lets just fuck over the tanks actually having fun and doing there job properly, seriously its not like people are standing there trying to take more damage on heroic encounters.
    That's exactly what they don't want. "It's the healers problem! Not the tank for focusing on dps". "My class can one tank the encounter designed for two tanks, suck it other tanks". Not every tanking class can gimmick tank (ops, solo tank, ok...).

Who gives a fuck if the tanks are outdpsing everyone. You should see it as a good thing; your raid is getting a lot of extra dps making fights a lot easier. If you have a paladin tank, it's a double bonus since you have a lot of heals going out.

But no, it seems like people care more about their own ego than the actual ability of their raid as a whole, and they would rather see fights become harder as a result of tank nerfs than tanks doing high dps on tough fights.

Apparently, damage dealers are not satisfied with tanks being screwed out of Brawler's Guild and PvP
    Because it is a game - its competition. What the point to play DPS class if tanks do 1.5 more damage you do? If, as you say, paladin top meters while tanking, and also provide decent healing what the point to play different class then? Lets roll paladins everyone to fill all roles in raid - this is absurd. Let current specs\classes to fulfill their role. And dont worry about raid dps drop - I bet Blizzard will compensate this somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    Their talk about talent trees are so stupid, these new talents are not better in anyway it's just bad.
    I rarelly change my talents nowadays, basically only when changing between pve and pvp. Wich alread happened in the old system.

For pve, they just promote that by simply designing the fights the same way. Everyone will always grab a talent for increased run speed instead of a talent to slow your targets if they don't give the chance to apply slow to the mobs in there for example. You go to the guides that they talk so bad about and you read often "useless on this tier"... great "suggestions for talents are usually just breakdowns on how each one works and which ones work better in what situations"...
    Last edited by VanishO2; 2013-05-23 at 12:21 PM.

Please get rid of the awful vengeance system. Threat should be generated by abilities rather than damage and there is really no need for tanks to dish out the amount of damage that they currently do, especially when they have countless panic buttons, defensive abilities and self healing in addition.

My problem with the vengeance change isn´t about mechanisms... it is about GC and the devs constantly wasting dev time changing the same stupid stuff back and forth which has NO noticeable affect on the game. We have had major resilience changes with every patch this expansion, and pretty much the same thing with vengeance.. They keep wasting their time changing the same crap back and forth instead of adding cool new things. Every time they made these changes, they say it will be ´better´.. and then 3 months later, they have to gut it again.

The encounters team, and the quest team are the reason WOW is WOW.... the systems team is like a bunch of OCD idiots who can´t leave their own house because they have to check the stove every 3 seconds. How many cool new projects get pushed off the table because you guys can´t keep your hands off resilience and vengeance for more than a month?

I never liked vengeance. I was always a fan of Omen and other threat meters where DPS had to gauge their threat and balance accordingly, while the tank really had to work at managing threat. However, I think Blizzard shot themselves in the foot because of current game mechanics and enrage times. It seems they make it so the enrage timer is so tight that tank dps is required to meet the enrage and DPS has to go full out without any regard of threat. To balance this out, they'll need to adjust boss mechanics again as well.

I like the thought of the tank being a meat shield and not a dps powerhouse. That's my old school ways talking

Ultimately, i don't see any positives at all to this change. I'll be the first to admit, i hate vengeance. I hate the way it currently works, promoting taking more damage to do more damage, and if your the tank that isn't taking damage, you end up feeling like the sword in your hand is a wet noodle, tickling the boss. That said, i don't see this as the solution. Not at all surprised that once again in this expansion, 10 mans get the short end of the stick. Tank dps was already very important in 10s. :/
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrouswheel View Post
    Nobody cares if the tank is number 1 in dps. When I look at our meters I look from 2nd down. I just ignore the tank. Who are these whiny insecure dps?
    Never mind, found a bunch of them in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vengeance is way to high. Part of being a tank is getting threat and then having to keep threat. With the way that it is now you can just bang on your keyboard and you will have threat. You play a tank to control the pace and aspects of a fight. You play a dps to do damage on a fight. Stop getting so hurt everytime a nerf comes out. People should look at it as a plus on having to play your class better.

Who gives a fuck if the tanks are outdpsing everyone. You should see it as a good thing; your raid is getting a lot of extra dps making fights a lot easier.
    what kind of a fail-comment is that? why not just triple the damage from <insert dps class here>? everyone in your raid would be MORE than happy, because the raid is getting ridicoulus amounts of free DPS!

see what i did there?

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
    the vengeance change is another stupid design decision, they should actually be beyond that after all these years *sigh
    no, the only fail decision was to let tanks do the same dps (or even much more under certain conditions) than any pure dps class. it's stupid, and that's what i thought the first time i saw it. maybe they should get rid of the tanking role completely if you want to be dps classes? would that be fun? would it be good for wow?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get rid of vengeance. I play a tank to tank. I enjoyed the fun mechanic that was threat and I enjoyed having to work for it, especially on multiple targets. Now every tanks has a spammable AOE or cleave ability which is just a bore.

Whenever I enter a dungeon on any tank, it's charge in and spam my AOE abilities to top meters and not worry about threat.

Tanking should go back to how it was. AOE abilities with semi-long cooldowns, make me tab target to get threat on multiple mobs. Make me work for the threat. 90% of fights in WoW are just "AOE ZERG" which is getting so damn boring.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Get rid of vengeance. I play a tank to tank. I enjoyed the fun mechanic that was threat and I enjoyed having to work for it, especially on multiple targets. Now every tanks has a spammable AOE or cleave ability which is just a bore.

Whenever I enter a dungeon on any tank, it's charge in and spam my AOE abilities to top meters and not worry about threat.

Tanking should go back to how it was. AOE abilities with semi-long cooldowns, make me tab target to get threat on multiple mobs. Make me work for the threat. 90% of fights in WoW are just "AOE ZERG" which is getting so damn boring.
    i'm with you there! i remember the good old times when you could measure the skill of a tank by how well he was able to hold aggro, especially on multi-target fights. it made the difference between "everything under control" and "houston, we have a problem (and many dead dps+heal)". nowadays everything tanks have to do is spam their 400% boosted aoe abilities, topping the meters and not even look at threat - threat has become superflous. it was even more fun for me as a dps when i had to closely watch my aggro on the mobs. now i ignore it.

All these silly comments about going back to the old way are so incredibly.. well silly and uneducated answers really, any tank that played serious in Classic or BC, will tell you that what was required of a tank was way less then it is now, because movement was lacking massively in most encounters you used to sit there and literally control you threat that was it, of course there was cooldown control, but i mean seriously it wasn't anything amazing, i could tank then with my eyes closed.

These days sure you don't worry so much about threat once you have it, but you have so many more activate mechanics, movement, and well activate mitigation took cooldown use level to a whole new level, any good tank will tell you that the way tanking trended in wotlk and then in cata, was simply a snooze feast, i mean in cata it was a complete joke, all you had to do was worry about a tank cd here and there, and yes tank dps was behind but it wasn't overall important.

Now its such a higher class of tanking, the skill gap between the good tank and the bad tanks is clearly obviously on every single level, if you want to stand there and be a meat shield go ahead, simply put you bad, i doubt your competing in heroic progression guilds, and if you are your probably holding the guild back because no smart player in there right mind would want to go back to the old style, tanking is a rush now, if the great tanks in classic and bc had a choice, they would hands down pick this style of tanking.

if you wanted tanks to just be meat shields, hey lets not stop the idiocy there, lets make healers unable to do any sort of damage ability well in healing spec, heals only, and also lets remove all dps defensive cooldowns, they don't need them they are not meant to take damage, its the healers jobs to use cooldowns to save them not the dps..

hell lets just go back to classic style of raiding, that shit was really hard..... no it wasn't it was great back then but in all honestly any smart player that raided back then will tell you , guess what it was nothing on the encounters made now, it was a hell of a lot more buggy and there wasn't exactly any complex rotation.

ignorance is a great thing, many of the people in this thread have it and it ruins wow.

they gave us vengeance to increase skill caps of tanks and make use viable in raids, we build our guilds, our raids around it, they change it now suddenly everything needs to be rebuilt and you are going to lose a massive chunk of tanks in wow.

Did Ghostcrawler basically just say you can choose between new dungeons or good raids, but we can't deliver both? No wonder subs are dropping with that kind of attitude from the head developer.

Kinda like goin to a restaurant and being told you can have a delicious appetizer or a delicious entree, but one of them will suck because we don't have enough cooks to make both well.
    Last edited by ganush; 2013-05-23 at 07:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well thankfully I'm not a tank that's pretty dumb haha

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    i'm with you there! i remember the good old times when you could measure the skill of a tank by how well he was able to hold aggro, especially on multi-target fights. it made the difference between "everything under control" and "houston, we have a problem (and many dead dps+heal)". nowadays everything tanks have to do is spam their 400% boosted aoe abilities, topping the meters and not even look at threat - threat has become superflous. it was even more fun for me as a dps when i had to closely watch my aggro on the mobs. now i ignore it.
    Well for a while the initial goal was to make tanking easier in the threat department so that a new tank would not hold dps back and get more players tanking. That then left tanks with not much to do and Blizzard went hey how about we make tanks actively manage their avoidance and mitigation which then places more strain on healers if there is a new or not so skilled tank. It is less noticeable to the majority of the group if the tank sucks with active mitigation but make them responsible of threat and the whole raid knows. Blizzard can mask a problem but in the end someone still gets screwed =(

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post

No? The butt-clinching threat issues of classic-BC is what made tanks so hard to find. If you enjoy always being near losing threat and potentially killing a DPS, then there is something wrong with you.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

15+ Year Old Account
    vengeance is (and always will be) a very crappy solution to tank threat generation.

rather then giving tanks extra dps via a mechanic that encourage people to take damage, they should return to aggro multiplier based abilities. and balance fights around the fact you have 2 tanks in raid (btw, someone teach GC basic math please, 2/5 is not 1 to 4 (going by the standard 2 tanks 5 dps 3 healers 10 man usually is), and 2/17 is not 1 to 7 (going by, 2 tanks, 17 dps and 6 healers 25 man usually is)
    this will also solve the always present issue of tank swapping forcing the swapped tank to either stop dps or ask a paladin for salvation.

as for the fights you can cheese with 1 tank, there are very easy solutions, make debuffs undispellable (horridon stacks should not be reset by paladin abilities, emperor's p3 debuff shouldn't be kitable to drop off etc), ensure that high stacking is extremly damaging (100% increments are not out of line), do more empress style debuffs (stack it too high and you'r out) just to give a few examples.

tanking is fun, and people should enjoy tanking for the actual role (holding bosses and adds off healer and dps), if you want to top meters, you should roll dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixark View Post
    No? The butt-clinching threat issues of classic-BC is what made tanks so hard to find. If you enjoy always being near losing threat and potentially killing a DPS, then there is something wrong with you.
    i played a tank since vanilla, i can tell you that i never lost threat to a dps with 2 brain cells at the beginning of the fight, and unless a boss had threat wiping mechanic i never lost threat afterwards.
    having a threat ceiling for dps was a good thing, it forced dps to use abilities in an intelligent manner rather then mash buttons as fast as possible and use mind numbing rotations, it made BC hunters and rogues pay attention (MD/tricks anyone?), it forced dps to actually pay attention and use their de-aggro abilities (when was the last time you saw a rogue vanish? mage invis? lock Soul shatter? hunter FD?) and it also forced tanks to work their abilities to maximize threat. these days if you manage to take aggro from a tank after the initial burst he's either DC or autoattacking and eating a sandwich (and even then, lol).
    Last edited by randprin; 2013-05-24 at 01:19 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    We have paladin tank in our guild that stacked haste like no tomorrow. We actually disenchanted any item with "tanking stats" on it! He even claimed priority on horidon's heroic trinket! You know... the haste one? Well, we reached tortos... and guess what? His haste setup was not that good against aoe tanking. And we could not use him there effectively. I can sure say that he can shove his precious dps gear up his ... a$$
    He was doing something very wrong there. I've been in raids where a prot pally would solo tank bats and the boss in a haste setup. Heroic Tortos, not normal. Or it's your healers failing to keep his shield topped off, or him failing to shield at the right times.

And I will admit, certain classes do probably scale too well with vengeance (I'm talking about my own class here and pallies).
    Last edited by Bryce; 2013-05-24 at 01:27 AM.