Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Speculation]Wait a second... Tri-spec.... 4th specs...

So I was just thinking, a while ago, Blizzard was experimenting with the idea of tri-spec on the PTR. More to see if they could code it rather than as an upcoming feature. They told us that we won't see it in the near future because they feel like characters would lose identity, no longer being Retribution paladins with Protection off spec or Arcane mages with Fire offspec, but just generic paladins and mages. The reasoning is pretty logical to me.

But then this 4th spec rumor pops up with this guy claiming that a blizzard staff member "accidentally" sent him an email with a mock up of new icons for 4th specs for each class. Before I dismissed this as a fake rumor spread around for 15 minutes of fame or something like that. But with further thought... im not to sure.

Blizzard is experimenting with adding trispec to the game, but refrain from currently doing so as to not dilute character identity. However, with a 4th spec in game, blizzard pretty much overcomes that problem as while players can have 3 specs at once, there will be a total of 4 per class, meaning that we'll still be in a similar situation as we are now.

Bottom line: What if the 4th spec rumor is true, and blizzard is implementing tri-spec at the same time? My reasoning is shaky at best, ravings of a sleep-deprived man at the worst. What do you think?

EDIT: Also more food for thought: Blizzard has often been stating how they wish they could go back and add more distinction between specs in certain classes. Adding a 4th spec could be the opportunity they need to rework the mechanics of certains specs.
    Last edited by Krunk; 2013-05-22 at 11:59 PM.

GC said in an interview that there won't be 4th specs any time soon, sadly.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/05/20/pa...h-ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxeon View Post

Gerd Dern it

Quote Originally Posted by Krunk View Post
    EDIT: Also more food for thought: Blizzard has often been stating how they wish they could go back and add more distinction between specs in certain classes. Adding a 4th spec could be the opportunity they need to rework the mechanics of certains specs.
    There'd be no reason to add a fourth spec for that, they could easily switch specs to be different without having to add in more specs.

It's highly unlikely for many reasons, but especially since they've said so time and time again that they don't want to add additional specs or tri spec.

What you are doing is taking a rumor and hyping it off of you're personal hopes and theories you've concocted from generic passages of quotes.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

He pretty much said he has no intentions of ever adding them because the balance needed would be insane. Adding a new class is still 3 specs. This would be 10 specs.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    He pretty much said he has no intentions of ever adding them because the balance needed would be insane. Adding a new class is still 3 specs. This would be 10 specs.
    It's safe to take 'never' with a pinch of salt where the developers are concerned. There was a time when we would 'never' see flying mounts, or realm transfers or any number of other features that have since been added to the game. Furthermore we've seen two new classes added to the game and pretty much every class gets a complete revamp each time a new expansion launches, or even in meaty content patches in rare cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before we get ahead of ourselves, let's read what he actually said;

Joystiq: Druids now work on a 4-spec system. What are your thoughts on expanding this system to other classes?

GC: It's a neat idea, and something we consider a lot, we have to consider what would be the impact on the game to players. Because now, everyone out there has to remember that there are additional specs, perhaps with additional roles, for all the existing classes. So when you're in PvP, you have to remember that that warlock could be Demonology, Affliction, Destruction, or spec X, and what does that mean, and all the new spells that come with that.

It adds a lot of -- bloat is probably too mean a word, but it adds a lot of stuff to the game that we have to balance, that players have to learn, that we have to support with set bonuses and all that other stuff. So I don't want to say never, but it's not something that's going to be right on the horizon. It's a big change to the game. It might be easier to do it slowly, a couple classes at a time, or something like that.
    1. Its something that the team considers a lot.
    2. It won't be coming soon, but it is a consideration for the future.
    3. If implemented, it may be a slow process.

Nowhere in there did he say "it would never happen". Sounds more like its something they've thought about, and may implement in a new expansion. Keep in mind, the next expansion is still a ways off.

Also we need to remember that GC would NEVER tell us if it was coming soon, even if it actually was. Remember how he said during WotLK that flying in Azeroth would never happen because all the work it would require, and we ended up getting flying in Azeroth the very next expansion?

With the current talent system and specs being streamlined, it makes creating new specs and classes easier for Blizzard to handle for future content. I could very well see 4th specs coming in next expansion, with another new class planned for after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are already having difficulty balancing 34 specs and making them feel unique - I seriously doubt there will be 4th specs for classes.

The problem they get is the same problem they have with new classes. Because all the current specs it's hard to add anything that isn't already a rehash of something else.

DK's are already a rehash of a warlock that slept with a warrior.

Monks are pretty much what happens when you mix a rogue and a priest honestly.

I can't think of anything to add that isn't already done, or just making stuff up for the sake of making it up. I'd rather have an expansion that cleared everything. Set the cap back down to 60 or lower and bring stats down. I hate having to deal with such high numbers everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

Do you realize if they are planning on doing a 4th spec system it would be a part of an Expansion release. The next Expansion will be announced at Blizzcon most likely, and it will start in Alpha/Closed beta afterwards, it wouldn't be released until December 2014. That would not count as soon. By him not saying no means it is actually possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    it might be fun to use the technology of the extra spec in a PVE setting, like you zone into a new raid instance and you can have 1 player "spec" to be a thunder king type spec that is relative to the zone, and the player learns how to play this new "role".
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    GHOSTCRAWLER:It's a neat idea, and something we consider a lot...I don't want to say never, but it's not something that's going to be right on the horizon. It's a big change to the game. It might be easier to do it slowly, a couple classes at a time, or something like that.
    "Something we consider a lot" doesn't sound like "no intentions" at all. But maybe I'm just a glass half full type.

There's also great merit in adding new specs over a new class. Some people won't change their mains out, people like me. We don't ever get anything new other than a few spells every expansion, and maybe a talents revamp ever so often. Playing a new class can be fun, but it's only relevant to those who adopt them as new mains. For everyone else, a new spec would be fun and exciting. The only drawback is for the Druids, but I'm sure they can find a compromise.

10+ Year Old Account

Good, I'd rather have a new class or race in the next expansion.

They will NEVER be able to balance this game. I'd rather have fun then complain about screwy numbers and who should be top dps. (Mages did that in Cata and got buffed enough to rolf people.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    There's also great merit in adding new specs over a new class. Some people won't change their mains out, people like me. We don't ever get anything new other than a few spells every expansion, and maybe a talents revamp ever so often. Playing a new class can be fun, but it's only relevant to those who adopt them as new mains. For everyone else, a new spec would be fun and exciting. The only drawback is for the Druids, but I'm sure they can find a compromise.
    My Druid was kitty/moonkin before and he's kitty/moonkin now. I only swapped to bear to "survive" derpy pulls.

It would create a balancing nightmare for Blizzard. It would be the equivalent of trying to balance 3 new classes. Instead of adding 3 specs (as they would if they introduce a new class) to balance against the current 34, you would be adding 10 specs (assuming that druids don't need a 5th) to balance against the other 34.

Considering how long it took them to balance DKs (for the most part) against every other class, just take that time and easily triple it. It'll probably take them the better part of 18 months of beta testing to get it ready for live, and probably an additional year prior to that to develop it.

On top of that, it would take them longer every patch and expansion to make sure that all the classes are balanced.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Yes. Now...did he mean soon as in "soon"? Or did he mean soon as in "not this Xpac"? Or did he mean soon as in "we'll think about it for a few years".

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calthric View Post
    It's safe to take 'never' with a pinch of salt where the developers are concerned. There was a time when we would 'never' see flying mounts, or realm transfers or any number of other features that have since been added to the game. Furthermore we've seen two new classes added to the game and pretty much every class gets a complete revamp each time a new expansion launches, or even in meaty content patches in rare cases.
    Certainly they could do it. But I think it's safe to say it will never be a major feature. It'll be a few classes here, a few there.

If anything, we'll see them create 4th specs based on what classes can actually use/want a new role. Like tank Warlocks and tank Shamans long before another DPS spec for Rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see them bringing out 4th specs for just one or two more classes. That would really tick off other players. It's either all or nothing.

Also Warlocks currently have a 4th spec. It's just wrapped up in a glyph.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I don't see them bringing out 4th specs for just one or two more classes. That would really tick off other players. It's either all or nothing.

Also Warlocks currently have a 4th spec. It's just wrapped up in a glyph.
    Then it won't happen. As GC said, it's too much to balance at once.

MoP had 4 specs to work out. This would have 10 (or more depending on when) to create and balance.