Thread: Shadow 1v1

Deleted

Shadow 1v1

Looking to roll an alt for pvp. Don't care about arenas or ratings, only about doing great in random bgs, wpvp and duels. I know spriests weren't that great until now and they were just melee fodder, but with the reduced burst for all classes and actually being worthwhile to heal yourself, is it now a good idea to be one ? Or is it still about eating dirt under a warrior, dk or rogue ?

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 12:07 PM ----------

Really. 100 views and no one can offer any input.

Priest is good. Void tendril is great for facing melee. Don't be affraid of 1v1 against a melee. 2v1 against 2 melee is another thing. Priest get trained hard

15+ Year Old Account
    All of shadows real damage is based on casts, so having melee sit on you can shut down a lot of your damage - warriors, dks, and enhancement are all effectively immune to both of our anti-melee tools (psy scream, void tendrils) via zerker rage / safeguard / bladestorm, or lichborne / desecrated ground / ams, or windwalk / spirit walk / tremor totem. With no tools to peel them, and an abundance of interrupts and stuns and silences amongst them - all three can pose big problems for shadow.

If I were picking one of my classes for world pvp and dueling, it wouldn't be Shadow. We shine when supported by someone with a lot of roots / snares / melee control - because that is where we are weakest. We are also a ramp-up class, not a ramp-down class - we begin pretty much all fights without Shadow Orbs, which means it takes us 30-40 seconds of combat to get our primary spell / survivability tool: those first 30-40 seconds will usually decide the outcome of any encounter.

What you want is a ramp-down class - something that can open hard with cooldowns immediately, put the enemy on the defensive or dead before they can strike back - so that by the time they can retaliate they traded too much away just trying to survive your alpha strike to engage in a fair fight. Rogues, Hunters, Druids, Shamans, Rets, and Mages are all good choices.

You also need a class that can pick their battles initially and escape from battles they dislike - giving you the ability to escape if things aren't going your way and return when your cooldowns are back up: of the above choices, Rogues, Hunters, Druids and Mages also meet this criteria. I'd recommend one of them, they all have huge initial damage, the first three have stealth - so they can pick their battles - while all four can escape battles that displease them.

Shadow is a team class, we require a lot of peels to function effectively - and we offer a lot of support in return - we have high survivability and damage but only if we aren't being sat on. We need to be babysat through the first 30-40 seconds of combat before we are really set up and in a position to contribute, and we can neither pick our battles nor escape from battles that displease us: for world pvp, duels, and random bgs where you can't rely on others - we're pretty much the worst choice (barring specs that are obviously terrible for pvp right now). With that said, if you make some friends and play with them - Shadow can quickly become one of the strongest participants once supported - but not for what you are asking for.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-05-23 at 08:58 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    We are pretty decent at 1v1. The only classes you won't be able to beat are frost mages and rogues that use the pve trinket. Everything else you can do fine. There are some classes that, if they are played by very skilled players you won't be able to beat (warlocks, hunters, uh dk's) but versus 90% of people you can do it. =)

Deleted
    How is DoT damage, compared with Affliction lock DoTs? Can you give me some average numbers for how much (in PvP) SW:P and VT ticks?

Deleted
    I see. Thanks, people and especially Yvaelle.

Guess I'm gonna try a mage again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    I see. Thanks, people and especially Yvaelle.

Why? Things might drasticaly change in one patch. As I remember Shadow was superrior in 1v1 5 or 6 months ago, so maybe he might get his superiority back in few months .
    But now, if nothing else, it is hard for enyone to burst you down in few seconds, if nothing else, becouse of your high survivability. If you go for a Mage, you can be dead in 5 seconds against Hunters or Rogues for example.
    Last edited by mmoc4f70414cfa; 2013-05-25 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Dreamer View Post
    Why?
    Because there was not a single patch since this game exists in which mage wasn't the FotM class in PvP.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    Why? Things might drasticaly change in one patch. As I remember Shadow was superrior in 1v1 5 or 6 months ago, so maybe he might get his superiority back in few months .
    But now, if nothing else, it is hard for enyone to burst you down in few seconds, if nothing else, becouse of your high survivability. If you go for a Mage, you can be dead in 5 seconds against Hunters or Rogues for example.
    . And in that same window someone else wud of died so wud q shadow
    .. Shadow is not a good 1v1 class. And BTW you're describing shadows good dueling days as the between patch days between end cata and mop with the new scaling .

Shadow isn't even as good as people make it out to be specially in 1v1. My only suggestion is listen to those who play the class because usually those are the ones that know what they're talking about and the rest are just hating. I play shadow so I will express my opinion as the state of the class as of 5.3.

Most classes have the upper hand vs shadow in a 1v1 setting due to shadow's low mobility, specially if there is LoS present. We lack a spammable slow and it cripples us greatly, we have mind flay which slows our target as long as it's channeled but it also roots us so we cannot use it to gain or close distance (which is usually gamebreaking in 1v1 duels where there is LoS present because it means most classes can get away from us and reset the fight or wait for cooldowns). Most of our CC is close range thus it can be avoided if you play smart and on top of that many classes have extra ways to break our CC without having to use their trinkets (Lichborne, Berserker Rage, etc). Furthermore since most of our damage is channelled it is easily interrupted specially due to the low cooldown of interrupts.

Usually Equally skilled Frost Mages, Rogues, Ret paladins, WW monks, & Feral druids should beat you in a fair 1v1 if they know what their doing. Also As shadow it is also very hard to solo a healer because most of your damage is dispellable and any healer with half a brain will just dispel our devouring plague every time or LoS our insanities and if that fails they will still have their cooldowns or interrupts to use on you. Also keep in mind that shadow is one of the few DPS that actually runs out of mana and people know how to abuse that fact, specially those that can dispel. Don't get me wrong, Shadow is a great class but where they shine most is in group play not 1v1 or even 2v2. You will need teammates to peel and CC for you to be effective most of the time.
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-05-27 at 12:33 PM.