Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Don't be so sure about your prediction. By your pattern MoP does not really fit into it to. Logical set of new things should be 1 new class. Yet we got 1 neutral race and 1 class. Next xpac could even comes with only 1 new neutral race with no new class. Dh is similar to warlock but they are not exactly the same. The idea of DH could be greatly expanded upon.
    How did it not fit into the pattern? We did end up getting a new class. We just got a new race attached to it. However, they did give the race away for free, so there you go. Which is why I created this thread. If my hunch is right, this expansion will be the first time Blizzard has broken its pattern.

As for Demon Hunters, there's not much you can expand on without quickly entering Warlock territory. That's the problem; If Blizzard did implement this class, Demon Hunters and Warlocks would clash constantly over spells and abilities. With DHs not in the game, Warlocks have plenty of space to grow as a class. Blizzard can give Locks more DH-style abilities, and make the class more interesting to more people without worrying about class overlap.

In short, Demon Hunters benefit the game more as a Warlock spec than as its own class. I'd be willing to bet that Blizzard believes this as well.

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 02:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I think this is a list of concerns compiled mostly to make it sound like there are a lot of concerns. I'm not hearing any obstacles, I'm hearing rationalizations.

-- Who cares if the name overlaps? I mean, really? Is there a concern that a demonstrable demographic of idiots and illiterates is going to get confused, roll the wrong class, and not realize their mistake until they have levelled up and invested new bags and such?
    New players might confuse demon hunters and hunters. Sure, this may sound like a silly reason, but Blizzard has been very specific in their moves to make sure that new players can easily get acquainted with the game and find themselves in the area most appealing to them. Why would someone click “hunter” when they can click “demon hunter”? That would be similar to choosing “paladin” over “more-awesome-paladin” if it were an option.

-- Core abilities existing elsewhere. Is there some actual blue expressing this as a genuine developer concern, or even some independent reason to think this is a major development obstacle? Ability overlap will happen in every MMO, happens in WoW already in fact, certainly the utility of some abilities if not their actual name. I certainly don't see this as a concern in other MMOs, current or retired, either. Not like SWTOR has one force-user class, for instance. And COH/COV lasted, what, 8 or 9 years with archetypes that shared powersets with only minor differences.
    Similar utilities like Time Warp and Blood Lust put into place for balance reasons is far different than having two classes sharing the same abilities that are there for the same purpose. Does anyone think Blizzard is going to bring in a Farseer, Blademaster, or Keeper of the Grove class? Why not? Could it be because all three of those hero units from WC3 have counterparts in WoW?

And yes, other MMOs allow similar skillsets to exist over multiple classes, and its part of the reason those games are either F2P, or dead. Blizzard's classes are better because they are highly distinct from one another.

-- whatever armor type for Demon Hunters is already readily available, unless you are expecting them to require STR mail or leather or AGI cloth or something.
    Demon Hunters don't wear armor. Good luck creating an armor tier from that.

-- Demon Hunters can pretty easily slide into a Melee/Range/Tank set-up.
    So you're not seeing a problem with a hero class being called a Demon Hunter and being able to use ranged weapons? Unless you're talking about caster range. If that is the case, then we enter Warlock territory, because DHs would be using the same type of magic as locks.

-- again, who cares? Illidan isn't the only demon hunter ever, the game seems positively lousy with them that could be instructors. Plus if you think the idea of retconning Illidan back to life is impossible... it's like it's your first day in scifi/fantasy/adventure.
    Because Illidan is the one who trained all Demon Hunters, and all Demon Hunters lead back to him. Again, its like Arthas having already been the focus of an expansion, and getting defeated in a raid. Now we're expected to believe that he's going to be resurrected and we get to play his class. It just doesn't make any sense. It would have made more sense to have Demon Hunters included during TBC. Now its simply too late. The game has evolved to the point where a Demon Hunter class would be redundant and cause too much class bloat.

It's as simple as having a structurally cohesive expansion concept and a sense of completeness. Lore, even story, serve that particular beam. And there is just nothing but wishful thinking behind the idea that they are going to have a Burning Legion expansion that adds a new class, that isn't Demon Hunters. Expansion with no new class, sure. Some other themed expansion with some other class, sure. Burning Legion themed expansion with some other class... no. Not gonna happen.
    What about a technology class? The Burning Legion has loads of technology at its disposal. It would make sense for the Horde and the Alliance to utilize their new weapons of war against the legion as well.

There could even be a spec that utilizes demonic technology like the Mo'arg Tinkerers.

---------- Post added 2013-05-28 at 02:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Announcing the expansion at blizzcon is not a pattern because not every blizzcon had an expansion release, one had 'Geek Is' instead and no one wants to redo that again. Announcing the expansion at blizzcon is just common business sense that you announce your next expansion at your big even when you are pumping out content so fast that it cant wait another 18 months.

While it is very likely that the next class will be mail it is not a done deal because the only thing Bliz has done is gaurantee that they do what they want when they want, we are just as likely to get a 3rd plate wearer as we are a 2nd gun wielder and almost as likely to have Bliz say, "Screw it, this guy wears cloth and people are just going to have to deal with a 4th cloth wearer."

You are also forgetting that in cataclysm they didn't just release new classes they released new jobs for old classes which totally went against your pattern theory. Do they release something new? Yes, they always release something new but there is no pattern to their releases.

2 races
    1 hero class
    2 races + new classes for old races
    new race + new class
    =No discernable pattern beyond 'we are getting new stuff'

To suggest there is a pattern is like me guessing I will live to be exactly 120 years old because I'm not dead yet and other people older than me are not dead yet so the logical conclusion is exactly 120 years old. 5% chance of immortality.
    Well if you want to get technical, since TBC, Blizzard has done something for both classes AND races.

TBC: 2 new races + Shaman and Paladin can now be played by both Horde and Alliance.
    WotLK: 1 new class (DKs) + New cosmetic features for each race, including an "undead look" for DK races.
    Cataclysm: 2 new races + New class combinations for the races.
    MoP: 1 new neutral race + 1 new class.

So as you can see, Blizzard has consistently done things for both classes and races in each expansion. In the next expansion, we're more than likely getting remodeled vanilla races. That only leaves the class option, and we're not getting 4th spec for each class, so that really narrows the options quite a bit.

I highly doubt that there will be a new class. Not every expansion had a new class. I suspect that more races can be more classes. I can easily see Gnomes being hunters as one of the class/race combos, as for the others, we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    So now that 4th spec has been slapped down by Blizzard, and the new race candidates predicted by others look extremely lackluster, it appears more than ever that a new class is on the way.

It could be they said that to hide their intentions however remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Could care less about New Races (Although I do want my Warcraft II Horde, OGRES GOGO!) I would rather have my Orcs stop having the posture of the Hunchback of Notre Dame, (Seriously, what the Hell is up with that? Like, I just re-read Lord of the Clans and Thrall sees some Warsong Orcs after he escapes Durnholde, they're all described as having a straight posture, since Thrall at the time knew little Orcish This is what happens:

"No!" Thrall cried in orcish. One thing about this encounter gave him hope--these orcs were fighters. They did not slouch about in exhausted despair.
    --Lord of the Clans, Pg. 119)

I'd Also like my Forsaken to stop having zig-zag cutouts around their elbows and knees, I'd prefer a model where I don't have to have my bones sticking out.

As far as new classes, maybe. I mean it could happen, it also could not. I personally would like to see it happen, I mean yea, PvP gets messed up for a bit, but PvP isn't balanced and probably never will be, so that really shouldn't limit available classes.
    I like my hunch on my orc and troll, and I like my boney zombie look of my undead. I'm really not looking forward to new models

---------- Post added 2013-05-27 at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    New character models, new race, new primary profession = no need for new class.

Pick any 3 of the 4, really. Well, any 2, as it's almost a lock we're getting new character models.
    New professions would be awesome, I'd be happy with just that depending on the profession. I've been wanting to chop wood in game for years. Like we've got mining like in the warcraft RTS games, why not lumber? I wanna be a lumberjack yo! lol
    Last edited by Goretex; 2013-05-28 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Oh, I fully know how much lots of people want new race models. MY argument is that a feature announced almost two years ago is not good enough as the main feature in the next expansion. Granted it can be one of the features, but not a major selling point, since everyone will get new models whether they purchase the new expansion or not.

In other words, you can't make a feature like new models a selling point for 6.0, when everyone will be getting that feature for free. They need something like classes or new races. Something that can only be unlocked through purchasing the new expansion. Since the race team is toiling away with the new models, I doubt they will be able to also create 2 new races on top of that.

That leaves only a new class as the major selling point for 6.0. It's the only logical option.
    I uh, know I'm late to the party here but I fully agree with this post. Race re-models are not a big enough feature to be a replacement for a new race pair or class (especially since MoP gave us a race and a class) since as the OP says, it's something that A is more of a QoL thing since the rest of the visual suite of the game has seen a lot of upgrades and the old races are starting to look like hell compared to the newest ones (even the BC races hold up pretty well relative to the originals) and B it was announced or at least confirmed quite a while ago.

I definitely think a new class is going to show up now that 4th specs has more or less been shut down (unless they're playing coy, which I doubt) and I also agree that the prospects for new races are not that hot, so I wager class is the next thing - classes are good for the game; they give you a lot more of a new experience than a new race does.

That said, I feel like even with a new class and the re-models, we're still going to see another larger feature in the next expansion given the age of the game and the need to "wow" the playerbase (current and retired) and the relative proximity of the expansion's release to the tenth anniversary of the game (even if it's a few months ahead) means I think they're going to really bring out the big guns.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

The alternating new race/new class pattern is just a coincidence, in my mind - not a precedent that Blizz has said and intends to follow as gospel. That said, I do believe there will be a new class, but because they really need to sell subscriptions and this expansion is their last chance to prove that WoW is still worth a subscription in a world of Free-to-Play. Demon Hunters are a huge fan favorite, and would easily sell a Burning Legion themed expansion.

Considering Blizzard released only 1 race for MOP means the art/model devs might've had some time to begin making a new race for the next expansion around the same time they started with pandaren. Could maybe even be another neutral race. This would mean we would get 1 new race and updated character models. I also imagine Blizzard making a new profession.

~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

Deleted
    Imo the new race models are almost on par making more classes available for existing classes they did in Cata. So they will have to spice that up a little. Could be with a new race, but considering they are already doing something in the race department my bet is on a new class. I don't think they will do another race + class, blizzard doesn't seem to want to repeat a class/race addition.

We just had a new class AND a new race added with MoP. I see them taking a break with the next xpac, and using new models are more of a selling point. If they have to add one, I see race coming before class, as class requires a LOT more balancing than just adding a new race.

Are you suggesting that to allow a Tinker class to fit the theme of a burning legion expansion, they should use demon technology? That makes no sense from a class identity perspective and is shoehorning for the sake of shoehorning. People who want to play a Tech-based class will want to use Tech-based weaponry. Once you style it after demons, it's going to be some demon-engineer class, and that's just weird. Honestly, it's a worse idea than making a Demon Hunter class, which would at least make sense as a class.

Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    new racial models = new race as far as im concerned. adding another spec will be better than another class too. They've got a ton on their plate and barely enough time for it.
    Assuming each class(except druid, maybe, since they already have 4 specs) gets one new spec, that would be 10 new specs added...ie, roughly the equivalent of adding THREE new classes to playtest and balance.

Oh look, effectively the same thread from the same guy. For god's sake, pay attention to the first guy to reply to you, and understand we are not likely to get a new class next expansion. We've had this argument too many times for me to go in depth, but here's the basics: The new models will most likely be using the same skeletons, just higher poly count for the models themselves. That gives these people time to work on new models for the upcoming expansion as well, meaning we could just as likely have new races with the expansion as not. Keep in mind, the team working on the modeling is separate from the team working on the mechanics of a new race.

New class? Unlikely, as they're STILL trying to balance the new class, Monk, as well as the other classes from before. On top of this, right now they have to design entire tier sets (appearance and stat) for 11 classes, I don't see them adding a 12th this quickly after just adding the 11th. I honestly expect the last of the new classes to be added with the expansion after the next one, following the pattern we've got going of even numbered expansions adding classes.

But you're going to ignore that, because you will ignore anything that doesn't fit your perfect little world.

Deleted
    It's too soon for a new class, I hope they intruduce somehing unexpected that we havn't thought of.

I'd rather they put their resources into updating the current models and focus on better class balance and diversity at the same time. No more classes or races until these things have been addressed.

Maybe we'll get that dance studio, jk that was an awful idea.

Well if you want to get technical, since TBC, Blizzard has done something for both classes AND races.

TBC: 2 new races + Shaman and Paladin can now be played by both Horde and Alliance.
    WotLK: 1 new class (DKs) + New cosmetic features for each race, including an "undead look" for DK races.
    Cataclysm: 2 new races + New class combinations for the races.
    MoP: 1 new neutral race + 1 new class.

So as you can see, Blizzard has consistently done things for both classes and races in each expansion. In the next expansion, we're more than likely getting remodeled vanilla races. That only leaves the class option, and we're not getting 4th spec for each class, so that really narrows the options quite a bit.
    How is that a pattern? A pattern mean it will be like

1. A
    2. B
    3 A
    4 B
    and 5. should be A. This is how pattern works. not like

1. A
    2 B
    3. A
    4. A+B
    This is random.

I think the new models and refreshed graphics will be the next expansion key points.

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

I hope they just work on letting every race be any class It would be less work and would keep players happy trying out new combos.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the new models being the driving force for the next xpac in place of a new class or race. Mists had one of each, I can see Blizz reasoning that monk class and pandaren as a race should cover us til the xpac after the next.

If I could have it both ways I would want new models and a new class. I like to level, and I'm bored of the current classes lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Are you suggesting that to allow a Tinker class to fit the theme of a burning legion expansion, they should use demon technology? That makes no sense from a class identity perspective and is shoehorning for the sake of shoehorning. People who want to play a Tech-based class will want to use Tech-based weaponry. Once you style it after demons, it's going to be some demon-engineer class, and that's just weird. Honestly, it's a worse idea than making a Demon Hunter class, which would at least make sense as a class.
    You could so go with:
    "Oh noes, the burning legion is using demon tech to defeat us, we must use our own tech to counter them!" <que tinker left stage>

Although imo tinker don't need such justification. There are plenty of reasons to bring in tinker without abusing the burning legion.