Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Im guessing if they keep their word, 5.3 wil last about 2 months, so end July will be 5.4 that goes around 4 months. Around the end wil be just when blizzcon is going live, opening blizzcon will show new x-pack 5.5 will be around choosing new warchief and setting up 6.0 .

The last time they didnt even need a blizzcon to announce the new x-pack and shorty after they setted up the beta, so yeah its possible to start beta in the beginning of december.

Beta Tests took 4 to 6 month in the past. Presumed they announce it at BlizzCon and start the Beta right ahead, it would be a release roughly around Easter Holidays next year.

Quote from Wowpedia:

How long until the next expansion?

This article or section includes speculation, observations or opinions possibly supported by lore or by Blizzard officials. It should not be taken as representing official lore.
    Blizzard develops everything on Blizzard Time, which is more specifically "Soon". As a player, we want to know now. That being said, you can always look at the past four expansion's timelines to get a very rough idea.
    Announcement
    Blizzard has always announces new expansions at Blizzcon, which is usually in the fall. The actual expansion is then released approximately 11-16 months later.
    BC announced 15 months before official release
    WotLK announced 15 months before official release
    Cata announced 16 months before official release
    Mop announced 11 months before official release

Beta Testing
    Beta testing happens before release, when some lucky players get to taste the expansion for free.
    BC: 3 months before release
    WotLK: 4 months before release
    Cata: 5 months before release
    MoP: 6 months before release

Release date announced
    The release date is announced an average of three months before release (time is needed to print, box and ship):
    BC: 4 months before release (was delayed a few times if i remember correctly)
    WotLK: 2 months before release
    Cata: 2 months before release
    MoP: 2 months before release

Release
    Actual releases so far have always been in the vicinity of the end or beginning of a year.
    BC: January 2007
    WotLK: November 2008
    Cata: December 2010
    MoP: September 2012

So according to the past releases we know...
    ...we will learn about new expansions at Blizzcon, and have a 11-16 month wait for an expansion which will occur in the general vicinity of Christmas.
    Last edited by cool_freezer; 2013-05-29 at 08:03 AM.

Well, release dates are not carved in stone and we cannot rely only on the release dates of the past expansions to determine a future release date.
    If WoW will be 10 years old in 2014 (this is a fact), we can also expect that Blizzard has some special plans for this particular anniversary.
    Maybe some expansion will be announced with more levels and some new concepts (a revamped Path of the Titans, for instance), coupled to a rather early release date in February/April 2014 (one or two months later wouldn’t be good because of the summer vacancies), but maybe also in September 2014, a median date between February/April and November.
    And I also suspect Blizzard to willingly leak unofficially some information at the moment they decide to do so (even if they will never admit it), because precise and detailed rumors maintain a high level of attention on their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilbêth View Post
    Well, release dates are not carved in stone and we cannot rely only on the release dates of the past expansions to determine a future release date.
    If WoW will be 10 years old in 2014 (this is a fact), we can also expect that Blizzard has some special plans for this particular anniversary.
    Maybe some expansion will be announced with more levels and some new concepts (a revamped Path of the Titans, for instance), coupled to a rather early release date in February/April 2014 (one or two months later wouldn’t be good because of the summer vacancies), but maybe also in September 2014, a median date between February/April and November.
    And I also suspect Blizzard to willingly leak unofficially some information at the moment they decide to do so (even if they will never admit it), because precise and detailed rumors maintain a high level of attention on their game.
    I posted all the "data" just for information. The most interessting part was posted in bold letters (BlizzCon announce). I never said that all the above data is a set in stone information for the next xpack

Almost certain we will see a expansion announcement for Blizzcon. By august Im sure we will get the news when they trademark the new expansion name, announcement and beta start on Blizzcon in november, expansion release by march 2014.

Pandaria was trademarked in august, announced november, beta by march and release in september. Im betting we will see a faster cycle this time around seeing as Titan has been reset and developers released for other projects including WoW.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up seeing a pre-BlizzCon reveal of expansion 5 because of the timing of everything.

If Blizzard is serious about making faster expansions they would need to hit a Q2 2014 release just to match the length of Cataclysm, the current shortest expansion.

A Q2 2014 release would mean the expansion would be in beta within just a couple months of being announced if it was indeed revealed at BlizzCon.

Because of this, I think it is possible we'll end up seeing some sort of teaser over the summer. Nothing terribly comprehensive, and big features like new classes/races would be left out, but enough to let us know where things are headed. Then at BlizzCon we'll have the first real in-depth look at the next expansion, covering all the major features.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

There's no way the next expansion can be delayed until late 2014 unless Blizz put out another raid tier inbetween, which they won't. If they wait with the announcement until BlizzCon then the beta more or less has to start right away, which is entirely possible.
    5.4 is likely in September or around then and that more or less suggest that the next WoW expansion is a Q2 2014 release, which means in around a year from now. We might get a teaser or early announcement, however my bet remains at an announcement at BlizzCon, probably some kind of leak before that (similar to MoP) and beta starting shortly after BlizzCon.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Im betting closed beta until few days after blizzcon, they come out with what the xpack is at blizzcon. open beta for 2 weeks. Xmas release. again perfect xmas presesnt for alot..

i feel they fail with the beta of xpacks and shouldnt be so open as its been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    Im betting closed beta until few days after blizzcon, they come out with what the xpack is at blizzcon. open beta for 2 weeks. Xmas release. again perfect xmas presesnt for alot..

i feel they fail with the beta of xpacks and shouldnt be so open as its been.
    Blizzard's internal testers have a terrible track record with making broken overpowered things get put in. A beta with only really them as testers that would go terrible.

Deleted
    Okay, let's sum up some facts:

1. The next expansion should've be announced by now by all marketing strategies and Blizzard's usual need for aiming holiday markets.
    2. Since WoW has started to grow old and not to lure so many new players recent years, they have to be at least planning WoW2 or whatever you want to call it.
    3. They have announced they will tell more about Titan MMO this year.
    4. The most obvious way to keep hype not peak too early is to say "It is NOT WoW 2" (remember GW2 and all the jersey secrecy? well, this is the same, excep for Blizz).
    5. Announcing WoW2 and next expansion would cut purchases from the expansion.

--> Blizzard will announce Titan MMO is WoW2, hence there is no need to create an expansion but to start creating a hype this year. I mean, what would they have said? "Yes, we are working on Titan, se super secret project. And it will be WoW related."? Not likely. This strategy will give them time to develop in privacy, and create quite a magnificent surprise.

Logical?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Most likely it'll work like this.

August/September - 5.4

November - Expansion V revealed

December/Janurary - Beta begins

Janurary/February - 5.5 patch, no raid, just additional content to tie MoP into Expansion V

April/May - 6.0 released.

May/June - Expansion V released

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ariakan View Post
    Okay, let's sum up some facts:

1. The next expansion should've be announced by now by all marketing strategies and Blizzard's usual need for aiming holiday markets.
    2. Since WoW has started to grow old and not to lure so many new players recent years, they have to be at least planning WoW2 or whatever you want to call it.
    3. They have announced they will tell more about Titan MMO this year.
    4. The most obvious way to keep hype not peak too early is to say "It is NOT WoW 2" (remember GW2 and all the jersey secrecy? well, this is the same, excep for Blizz).
    5. Announcing WoW2 and next expansion would cut purchases from the expansion.

--> Blizzard will announce Titan MMO is WoW2, hence there is no need to create an expansion but to start creating a hype this year. I mean, what would they have said? "Yes, we are working on Titan, se super secret project. And it will be WoW related."? Not likely. This strategy will give them time to develop in privacy, and create quite a magnificent surprise.

Logical?
    Titan isn't WoW2, it's not Universe of Starcraft, it's not Realms of Diablo.

IT IS A TOTALLY NEW GAME.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Nope. Most likely it'll work like this.

August/September - 5.4

November - Expansion V revealed

December/Janurary - Beta begins

Janurary/February - 5.5 patch, no raid, just additional content to tie MoP into Expansion V

April/May - 6.0 released.

May/June - Expansion V released

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 01:13 PM ----------

It is a totally new game... ...Because they told so? Just because they say something about it doesn't need to be actually true. Especially since it will be a massive, secret project?

1) WoW Expansion Pack
    2) Diablo III Expansion Pack
    3) StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
    4) Titan
    5) All the above

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a totally new game... ...Because they told so? Just because they say something about it doesn't need to be actually true. Especially since it will be a massive, secret project?
    Just because it's cool to hate "the corporate man" doesn't mean they are intentionally lying to you about everything.

I'm willing to trust them on this, because Blizz knows how to manage (and avoid being burned by) hype.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Just because it's cool to hate "the corporate man" doesn't mean they are intentionally lying to you about everything.

I'm willing to trust them on this, because Blizz knows how to manage (and avoid being burned by) hype.
    Yes, they do. So, IF they were planning on WoW2, would they start to develop it as a secret project over many years or announce it when they are starting on the project?
    Since the developing will take many years, it would be done in secrecy to gain right hype at right time? And that time would be quite around this time. Starting on the project now would mean they would probaby be late already.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_freezer View Post

-snip-

So according to the past releases we know...
    ...we will learn about new expansions at Blizzcon, and have a 11-16 month wait for an expansion which will occur in the general vicinity of Christmas.
    ...which I feel I should inform you that Blizz has already stated that they're not going to repeat the year-long lull that happened after DS.

I can't imagine WoW holding my interest with 5.4 content for 10-12 months. Of course they'll probably do another annual pass at blizzcon to help with the subscriber bleed.

While I agreed with this in the past... I have to say that all bets are off now since they got the "reset" button hit on them.

For further information I point you to the Final Fantasy Versus 13 spinoff action game from FF13. For years it was in development hell, and last E3 they unveiled it and announced it's simply being converted into Final Fantasy 15.

Who's to say that their plans might have changed? I'm sure by now they were expecting to be making koo-koo money via the Starcraft 2's map store and D3's RMAH. One's economic aspect never materialized due to technical problems, and the other one...well... we all know that story. :P

/shrug

And neither does that count as evidence that it's NOT a new game.

I still think it will be a new IP - but I'm now adding an extra bit of % into the "revert to an older IP" now, simply due to the reboot of the project. Things like this have happened a lot in the gaming industry. Doesn't mean it will.. but it does up the chances slightly. :P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-06-28 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think dokhidamo is spot on. As for Lord Ariakan, almost everything you said is incorrect.

1) By all marketing strategies? You're clearly incorrect as Dokh provided a viable timeline on next expansion WHICH still keeps their announcement at Blizzcon which has occurred in the past. If they are aiming for this holiday season, you may be right but all evidence from this expansion illustrates a later release.
    2) Why would they work on WoW2? There isn't a single thing they arent able to overhaul with their existing engine. It would cause people to lose all of their progress they have made on their current character. This would only lead to dismal sales and be pointless.
    3) Source? As far as I know, they did not. Just a rumor that started from outside Blizzard.
    4) What do they have to gain from lying about Titan being a completely new IP? A new IP would actually be most beneficial to Blizzard as everything is started from scratch and don't have to hear on their forums about 'retconning'.
    5) Let's say you are correct. This would be a terrible mistake on their part. You don't stop supporting a game with millions of players paying a subscription every month because it'll compete with your other game. Protip: all of this money still goes to Blizzard and they can choose where development funds go so if they make it from, let's say D3, does not mean they can't spend some of that money on WoW.

I'd love to say you've posted the most incorrect post on MMO-Champ but sadly, there is plenty of competition there.

Quote Originally Posted by bendak View Post
    I can't imagine WoW holding my interest with 5.4 content for 10-12 months. Of course they'll probably do another annual pass at blizzcon to help with the subscriber bleed.
    Oh, good call on the annual pass! Forgot about that!

Betting it would be pretty much the same deal too:

Guaranteed access to WoW Expansion #6 Beta
    Dablo III + D3 expansion for free
    Some new Ballerina Pony
    Some new pet