Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

My Future Glimpse of 5.4, Alliance Side

It all starts with a breadcrumb quest that automatically pops up when you log in:

Quest: Unleash the Dogs of War!

The time has come. King Varian has summoned all the armies of the Alliance for the final assault on Orgimmar! Report to Vol’Jin in Durotar at once!

My first thought was, “shouldn’t we be reporting to Varian himself? Oh well, maybe it’s a wrap-up for the quests in patch 5.3 where we supplied Vol’jin’s rebellion.”

So you fly out to Durotar, and you talk to Vol’jin, who immediately gives you a quest to polish 20 pieces of armor for the Horde assault. After all, they’re going to be the ones leading the charge on Orgimmar, so they need to have shiny, impressive-looking suits of armor for the epic cutscene where they storm the gates in a blaze of glory!

Now I’m frowning. “Um…don’t the Alliance have their own armor to shine? Don’t we have our own assaults to lead? Oh well, maybe we’re being “clever and cunning” and letting the Horde be the cannon fodder, wearing Garrosh and his goons out for when the real cavalry comes storming in in a sea of blue and gold! So I polish the armor, and promptly get put on a quest by Vol’jin to go out and fetch arrows and lost weapons on the battlefield…you know, the battlefield that is raging all around, and there’s a good chance of getting my Alliance self killed while retrieving lost weapons? Oh well, it’s all for the greater glory of the Alliance, right?

So armor polished and weapons retrieved, Vol’jin next sends me on a quest to go kill 40 boars for meat to feed his troops. I was getting sick and tired of playing fetch for this ingrateful damn dirty troll, but hey, it’s all leading up to an epic, awesome moment where we, as the Alliance, after years of getting our butts kick my Garrosh and his rampant Horde, finally batter down the walls of Orgimmar and stick his head on a pike…right??

So after an hour of killing boars (the drop rate is TERRIBLE), I finally have enough meat and bring it back to Vol’jin, who immediately demands to know why it took so long. He rewards me with ten gold, and then tells me to report to Varian on the other side of Orgrimmar. Finally!!!

So the raid starts out with Varian telling us to stay out of the way of Vol’jin’s rebellion, tells us not to destroy buildings, attack only when attacked first, and gives a rather uninspiring speech about securing a safety for the future, and doing what’s right, and how Garrosh deserves to be brought to justice…I almost fell asleep, to be honest. And then a dialogue bubble pops up above his head. He says that we have to rescue the orphans who are trapped in a section of the Valley of Strength. That’s kinda cool, but shouldn’t we help the orphans by killing all the big evil bad guys? Oh, and we’re not allowed to kill any guards. Varian gives us bombs filled with sleep dust, and we’re supposed to throw them at Horde guards when engaged. His logic is that the guards didn’t have a choice but to be involved in this conflict, and we’re not going to take any more lives than we have to.

By this point I’m really wondering what the hell is going on. So far, we haven’t done much of anything, and this is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen in a raid so far. But it’s just the first ten minutes, so I rescue the orphans with the other play-testers.

Next we kill some sha-infested beasts that Garrosh sends in waves, which is actually pretty cool. The boss is a giant dinosaur Garrosh apparently got from the Zandalari, and it’s HUGE, like a giant T-Rex on steroids but infested by the Sha. Awesome encounter. Next, we have to pave the way for Vol’jin’s rebellion so they can storm the Valley of Spirits and retake it. Again, the Alliance is playing second fiddle to the Horde, but whatever. We clear the way to the Valley of Spirits, kill a giant Sha that spawns once the guards are dead, and Vol’jin and his trolls come riding past on raptors. Kinda cool, I guess…

There were about 6 more bosses and encounters, but I noticed a common theme among them…none of them had us engaging the Horde directly. We were always either doing humanitarian crap, killing sha-infested beasts and guards (Garrosh has been experimenting with the Sha, if you can’t tell), or doing something to aid Vol’jin and his fellow rebellion leaders. In fact, they seemed to be having all the fun, as we could see them always running around and engaging in direct, brutal, bloody combat with big-name lore figures, like Nazgrel and Malkorok. The Alliance, however….well, we don’t seem to be directly engaged in this conflict all that much, nor the key players. But there’s still the final showdown with Garrosh, and that has GOT to be awesome! I mean, Varian versus Garrosh, the final conflict! We’ve been waiting for this since Wrath of the Lich King!

Vol’jin and his troops are gathered outside Garrosh’s stronghold, and we, the Alliance, take the lead and charge in first, engaging him directly. He’s full of taunts and threats, there’s talk of how the puny Alliance will fall, standard bad guy stuff. Then Varian comes in, and engages him, acting as the tank. It’s actually a fight without a tank, because Varian does all the tanking. Then when you get Garrosh down to 20%, Varian disarms him, kicks him to the ground…and backs off without saying a word! Then Thrall, Vol’jin and Baine all come in, and they scold Garrosh, tell him what he’s done and turned the Horde into, how his father would be ashamed of him, etc. Then Thrall casts some kind of spell on him, and a Sha comes out of Garrosh, who immediately curls up and starts crying like a kid. We kill the Sha, Vol’jin and Baine drag Garrosh off (presumably to a Horde prison camp) and Thrall thanks Varian, and us Alliance for our assistance in dealing with Garrosh, and then asks us to leave his city.

And that’s exactly what happens. Jaina ports in, Varian gives a speech about being the better man, Jaina opens a portal to Stormwind, and we leave. I was confused, and so I tweeted a Blizzard developer just what exactly was supposed to be the awesome Alliance moment we’ve been hearing about since Cataclysm and why the Alliance’s perspective seemed to be so lackluster and lame. His response? That there’s another epic Alliance story that’s being worked on for the next expansion, and that I just need “to wait and see.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I sense a certain amount of tired Alliance cynicism. This is not a serious prediction, then? I guess we'll have to see if they get shafted by the storyline as you fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I sense a certain amount of tired Alliance cynicism. This is not a serious prediction, then? I guess we'll have to see if they get shafted by the storyline as you fear.
    I'm actually dead serious. If this is not exactly what happens in the Siege of Orgrimmar raid, then it's at least very damn close. I guarantee that some variation of what's posted above is what is going to happen.

This was actually taken from the official forums by someone claiming to be an alpha playtester who was so pissed off that he/she couldn't keep quiet about it. The thread was deleted in less than an hour. I believe that it's legit.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2013-05-29 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I'm actually dead serious. If this is not exactly what happens in the Siege of Orgrimmar raid, then it's at least very damn close. I guarantee that some variation of what's posted above is what is going to happen.

This was actually taken from the official forums by someone claiming to be an alpha playtester who was so pissed off that he/she couldn't keep quiet about it. The thread was deleted in less than an hour. I believe that it's legit.
    You forgot the fight against Jaina since she's infected by the Sha of Doubt.

Quality

And the ending seems scarily accurate

15+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree that Jaina has gotten pretty sha-y lately as well.

Yeah, totally believable...

Quote Originally Posted by beingmused View Post
    You forgot the fight against Jaina since she's infected by the Sha of Doubt.
    Nah man, if Jaina is infected by any of the Sha, it would be the Sha of Hatred. Varian is the most likely candidate to be infected by the Sha of Doubt; Varian used to be a roid-raging warmonger, and ever since Mists started, he's been so unbelievably mellow and slow to anger that it's like he's being pumped full of an overdose of Prozac 24/7.

Seems fairly plausible. The lore team has had a serious Horde fetish for a couple xpacks now, because all of their favorite pet characters are there.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I sense a certain amount of tired Alliance cynicism.
    It's justified. We were promised that our "great leader" would do something. VARIAN HAS DONE NOTHING BUT BE A DOUCHE AND STOP HIS SON (who has quickly found a place in my heart )

Besides his son and Jaina going apeshit and telling us to purge Horde in Dalaran, the Alliance hasn't done anything really. It's sad when you're promised one thing and given something the pure opposite of.
    (Spoiler'd that just in case someone STILL didn't do the 5.1 questline)

We were told to "wait and see" this entire expansion and I thought "Oh shit, Varian's gonna do something badass in 5.1!" *I do all the 5.1 content* "Alright, maybe in 5.2 then when we assault the Thunder King!" *Did 5.2 content...* "... 5.3?" *Did all the 5.3 content* ".............. Been lied to again"

Yak, if you were on Alliance, you would agree. We're going to play a very small role in Siege of Orgrimmar. We have to face facts that Blizzard doesn't give a single fuck about Varian. TBH I really hope he just fucking dies and Anduin or Jaina takes over (and actually does something).

I read what happened and honestly, I see EXACTLY that happening to the Garrosh fight. We have no fucking role at all.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-05-29 at 04:44 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

im so sick and tired of whiny people like this.

the alliance lore in this expansion is so much better than the horde lore, the only patch where its better for the horde is 5.3 and even then theres hardly any there in the first place.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    oh boy.. seriously, more alliance whining, and even trying to claim 'its a serious post this, because I feel jaded by blizzard!'.

Really, just, grow up? This isn't constructive, its just a whine about how alliance feel like the underdogs (oh wow, the irony..)
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    It's justified. We were promised that our "great leader" would do something. VARIAN HAS DONE NOTHING BUT BE A DOUCHE AND STOP HIS SON (who has quickly found a place in my heart )

Besides his son and Jaina going apeshit and telling us to purge Horde in Dalaran, the Alliance hasn't done anything really. It's sad when you're promised one thing and given something the pure opposite of.
    (Spoiler'd that just in case someone STILL didn't do the 5.1 questline)

We were told to "wait and see" this entire expansion and I thought "Oh shit, Varian's gonna do something badass in 5.1!" *I do all the 5.1 content* "Alright, maybe in 5.2 then when we assault the Thunder King!" *Did 5.2 content...* "... 5.3?" *Did all the 5.3 content* ".............. Been lied to again"

Yak, if you were on Alliance, you would agree. We're going to play a very small role in Siege of Orgrimmar. We have to face facts that Blizzard doesn't give a single fuck about Varian. TBH I really hope he just fucking dies and Anduin or Jaina takes over (and actually does something).

I read what happened and honestly, I see EXACTLY that happening to the Garrosh fight. We have no fucking role at all.
    its people like you that make me hate the alliance community, you guys make me sick.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    im so sick and tired of whiny people like this.

the alliance lore in this expansion is so much better than the horde lore, the only patch where its better for the horde is 5.3 and even then theres hardly any there in the first place.
    You can't be serious...you CANNOT be serious! Wrath was evenly split as a story of the Horde and Alliance (the campaign in Northrend was every bit as Horde-driven between the Taunka and the Forsaken as it was Alliance-driven), but Cataclysm and Mists has been, from beginning to end, completely and utterly Horde-driven with Garrosh as the main star. The entire plot has revolved around the Horde, what the Horde does, and how the Horde is shaping the world. The Alliance's main function in the past two expansions has been to get their asses kicked and to serve as a punching bag for the Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    its people like you that make me hate the alliance community, you guys make me sick.
    Why? because we're invested in our faction and we're sick and tired of the Horde getting all the quality storytelling and development? Horde fanbois are the most spoiled, entitled, pathetic sacks of shit. The very thought of the Alliance getting quality attention and development, ANYTHING that would detract from their precious Horde, is offensive to them.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2013-05-29 at 04:54 PM.

Deleted
    I dont know if its true but a raidfight were the grp doesnt need a single tank sounds new and fantastic to me

Deleted
    Varian will die fighting Garrosh, Genn greymane will leap into the fray and decapitate garrosh, then the alliance will pay tribute to their new leader and all the humans will be infected with the worgen curse, then the new super army will march all across the face of azeroth and build a new wolf empire...

No but seriously this seems pretty accurate, hopefully though blizzard can stray away from predictability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rofl this thread already turned to shit. Good job.

People around here really cant control themselves.

He lost my belief when he got to the point about "Killing 40 boars" for meat. Not only is that just the base butt of warcraft jokes... but also a quest like that would NOT have a "poor drop rate" in today's WoW gameplay.

If it wasn't already obvious, this was not some "internal dev" posting this - but some jaded old-schooler's fun-fiction they wrote.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess playing both factions has it's benefits. I never whine about faction pride and I don't see a reason to ever do it. If you dislike the Alliance, play the Horde. If you still want to play with the Alliance, post constructively and give them suggestions on what to do. It's the most you can do. Whining like this only makes you look like spoiled brats that don't get what they want.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    He lost my belief when he got to the point about "Killing 40 boars" for meat. Not only is that just the base butt of warcraft jokes... but also a quest like that would NOT have a "poor drop rate" in today's WoW gameplay.

If it wasn't already obvious, this was not some "internal dev" posting this - but some jaded old-schooler's fun-fiction they wrote.
    There are still some quests where the droprate for quest items isn't 100%. Plus this was (supposedly) on the Alpha test realms, so maybe it wasn't coded properly to give it the drop rate it was intended to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisholina View Post
    I guess playing both factions has it's benefits. I never whine about faction pride and I don't see a reason to ever do it. If you dislike the Alliance, play the Horde. If you still want to play with the Alliance, post constructively and give them suggestions on what to do. It's the most you can do. Whining like this only makes you look like spoiled brats that don't get what they want.
    The reality is, just like how fans attach themselves to sports teams, some players get attached to certain characters and factions. When you're creating a product that caters to two factions, and the playerbase pays you for that product, it makes no sense to treat one side better than the other; especially when both sides have their loyal fans.

And furthermore, I disagree. Under your logic, if you don't like something, you shouldn't ever say so unless you can do it better or tell the creator how to do it better. You don't need to be a good writer or have a better idea for a story to know when a story presented to you is complete and utter shit. Telling the creator of the story what is wrong with the work and why it is wrong is every bit as constructive feedback as giving suggestions for a different storyline is. You have to show what the problem is and why it is a problem before you can come up with new alternatives to it.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2013-05-29 at 05:09 PM.