Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Your definition is wrong, do not use it

What are definitions of something that people use in a wrong way that annoy you? Here are my examples:

-Racist, as i am a white person, i have had encounters with not my skin tone of people calling me racist just because i do not agree with them, race card is too easy throw sometimes

-"you think in overly scientific way" coming from a person to whom i try to explain the principal of a black hole

-Gamer, when a person uses the word describing a person that is a loser or something similar. Gaming is probably the only hobby i know that has so much negative views from people that do not play any games and at the same time have developed a view for that hobby for some reason

-Christian, there is a certain group of people, in the internet for example , that just will condemn every christian for the sake of they are christian. Every christian is not in denial of a scientific facts that we have proven and quite many actually do believe that we will learn more every day and everything is not written in a book about 2000 years ago. But from that we get to my last annoying definition:

-Atheist, just not believing in something divine does not make you a bad person or hateful against any group of religious people.

Those are some of the definitions that i see people using in a wrong way in my opinion, what are yours?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have lag, when they have low FPS

Deleted
    I'm annoyed everytime someone says my definition is wrong, regardless of him/her being right.
    There are only 2 different opinions, my opinion and the wrong opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    -"you think in overly scientific way" coming from a person to whom i try to explain the principal of a black hole
    That is pretty hilarious.

I agree with the lag/FPS hate!

Oh tons of them people that put race before the country and say they are American. Example African-American.Mexican-American Where you born here? Yes well guess what you're american that pissed me off to no end.

As shise said lag when its FPS.

Peole that use irony wrong, really its a common ass word these days and people still use it wrong.

I have alot others but those are biggest 3

Deleted
    lag
    /lag/
    Verb
    Fall behind in movement, progress, or development; not keep pace with another or others.
    Enclose or cover (a boiler, pipes, etc.) with material that provides heat insulation.
    Noun
    A period of time between one event or phenomenon and another.
    The nonheat-conducting cover of a boiler, etc.; lagging.

So these are not related to low FPS? Ok.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    That and sometimes in low FPS you will also hear that because YOU had lag they missed you :P

Deleted
    In addition to some mentioned here, I get annoyed when people use words like 'race', 'culture' and others wrongly - either simply using the wrong word entirely, or using them all, sometimes even in one sentence, to say the same thing! (The one upside to it is that it's easier to identify someone who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about )

Deleted
    I agree with you on racism, people seriously overuse that word.
    Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    People tend to forgett that part.
    Last edited by mmoca9bf05c4ed; 2013-05-30 at 10:59 PM.

I'm pretty sure lag covers things going slower than normal in general... not just the internet. Tho I may be wrong

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    People being called racist for attacking religions. For example saying 'all Muslims are terrorists' has no racial significance at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drives me up a wall.

"I can't play this game on my computer, it lags." It doesn't lag, its a fucking off line single player game, there's no latency involved. That's FPS, choppiness. Not lag.

So mine would be: "It's just a theory." Too many people out there don't grasp what the scientific meaning of the word "theory" is and it's freaking freshman high school stuff. I learned it from a biology teacher in a freaking private catholic high school. A theory is a well supported explanation for natural phenomena. It is not an educated guess. Theories never evolve into facts or law. Gravity is just a theory. Atoms are just theories. Yet, we have overwhelming evidence for both.
    Putin khuliyo

Feminist, it is about equal rights but it make it sounds about being pro female.
    Anarchist, it is about power to the nation but it make it sounds like everything is free going with no structure and everyone doing whatever thing without consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    People often use the word "pretentious" as an insult and use it the wrong way. Pretty annoying. Also when people believe the word casual when referring to a gamer means the same thing as being a bad gamer. It's also annoying when people say something like "They have no culture!". How is that even possible? lol
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-05-31 at 12:15 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    "I got hacked!!!!!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post
    In addition to some mentioned here, I get annoyed when people use words like 'race', 'culture' and others wrongly
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    People being called racist for attacking religions. For example saying 'all Muslims are terrorists' has no racial significance at all.
    Oh look, that's what I mean, couldn't think of a good example while writing it

And I've thought of another thing that bothers me, which is actually kind of the opposite of the topic... Ah, whatever. It's when people insist on sticking to a definition even when a word has clearly evolved over time to mean something else, or to get an additional meaning. If everyone means the same thing with a word, doesn't that give the word that new meaning? I'll spare you all a long monologue about language here, but only because I'm tired... xD
    Last edited by mmoca572945696; 2013-05-31 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    I'm pretty sure lag covers things going slower than normal in general... not just the internet. Tho I may be wrong
    Nope you are completely correct. Lag has to do with anything from your smoothness of video, internet connection, to automobile movement.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    "I got hacked!!!!!"
    But this does bother me alot, no you most likely didn't get hacked, you most likely willingly or unwillingly gave your info to a party you didn't intend to use it. Hacking is the skillful manipulation of a computer program to get the information, not just a keylogger or a fake website that easily pulls the info and puts it into an excel sheet for anyone to use.
    Last edited by Aerorogue; 2013-05-31 at 12:29 AM.

Deleted
    a lot of people use literally wrong..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

They literally do!

I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.
    He literally just did!

-hardrive instead of tower >.> I dont know how in this day and age anyone doesnt know basic PC components
    -racist when should be using bigot as mentioned(bigots more fun to say anyways, and covers racist)
    -metaphorical - or using metaphorical as a synonym for theorizing