Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Everyone must go fire...

If raidbots.com is to believed.

Fire is the top spec of all classes in all categories at the moment (average, not per boss).

Raidbots claims that this is median DPS and so RNG outliers should be suppressed.

Can/should this data be debunked? If not, does this argue that Fire will be better from this point (ToT N geared) until nerfs/buffs occur?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care what any website says, My mage is fire, and has been fire since TBC, as it's the spec i like, and ofcourse, this being a game, for me the enjoyment comes from playing the spec i prefer.

Ofcourse I know some people get their enjoyment out of min-maxing and being the best they can be, regardless of spec, which is also fine, Just throwing my opinion in

Rankings on raidbots change significantly depending on filters. Theres overwhelming amount of people playing fire and default fiters considers only top 100 parses which fire's best of the best logs while for example for arcane some fights doesnt even have 100 parses.

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of other sites says something different.

Fire logs are skewed a lot in my opinion. You can for a few weeks with adequate DPS, then 1 week get good RNG and rank like 50th... "Omg Fire best spec!!!"

TL;DR: Good RNG = Rank on WoL

Quote Originally Posted by tolgag View Post
    Rankings on raidbots change significantly depending on filters. Theres overwhelming amount of people playing fire and default fiters considers only top 100 parses which fire's best of the best logs while for example for arcane some fights doesnt even have 100 parses.
    Thanks this is what I was looking for. I had overlooked the "top 100 parses" part. I changed to "All Parses" and things are different. Fire is not peak for all classes but it still seems to be trumping frost (which I play currently).

Gobra, I know the feeling. Through most of WoW I've played a Shadow Priest (back to Vanilla). This time around I decided I wanted to try something different so I went Mage. I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to class loyalty vs min/max. I currently have very little experience w/fire (training dummy only). I'm doing pretty well with frost but if fire presents a potential (and possibly growing) dps increase, and allows me to do something different for a change then I might like to try it for a change.

I agree that fire has a higher potential than frost just because extreme luck with fire > extreme luck with frost
    This is only because of how fire's CDs work (combustion)

That being said I was able to keep up with a very geared fire mage (20 ilvls higher than myself as frost) last week (LFR Twins). We finished the fight top 2 dps, him 194k dps and myself 171k dps. I was surprised that he didn't completely smoke me and he even mentioned that I have been the only other person he has run with who was even close to him apart from people in his guild.

Frost is in a much better place than most people think if played correctly. But for some reason many people don't take frost seriously in PVE.

On a fight like twins your should be fairly equal (tho he should do better with that much higher ilvl, dunno if he was playing to full potential)
    The cleave in the end is quite nice for frost, and in general it's almost like a dummy fight, therefore if these number's are correct, frost shound't be far behind:

http://www.simulationcraft.org/530/Raid_T15H.html

"But for some reason many people don't take frost seriously in PVE."

This is probably a historical bias, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Fyz View Post
    "But for some reason many people don't take frost seriously in PVE."

This is probably a historical bias, eh?
    Can't deep freeze bosses for the shatter, can't frostjaw, ring of frost, frost nova.... I always found Frost to be generally PvP for the amount of snares and roots, plus the bonus crit from shatter. I can't imagine fire being that great for PvE for the same reason, you play around hot streak procs, which are extremely easy to get on frozen targets. Otherwise you sit there casting fireballs, scorchs, and Pyros praying for a crit so you can use your Inferno blast and get the free Pyro... hmmm maybe the free pyro isn't high on the priority list? Hmmm... I'd love if someone chimed in with their opinions
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasufer View Post
    On a fight like twins your should be fairly equal (tho he should do better with that much higher ilvl, dunno if he was playing to full potential)
    The cleave in the end is quite nice for frost, and in general it's almost like a dummy fight, therefore if these number's are correct, frost shound't be far behind:

http://www.simulationcraft.org/530/Raid_T15H.html
    Since it was lfr we actually killed the 1st twin before the we started on the 2nd one so I didn't get the benefit of my IL cleave.
    From my talking with him it didn't seem like the player who doesn't play to his full potential (Having killed Ra-Den). Seemed to be a like minded player who likes to push it no matter what content. But you never know. Sadly the log from Lei Shen didn't register correctly and it broke the fight up into two different segments.

@FYZ Exactly. It seems as though Blizzard would like to buff frost someway without effecting pvp too much.
    Last edited by bostwick kingsley; 2013-06-04 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahaha

Right.
    Laughing at the topic? Agreed I have told my guild that I am going to try to stay frost for the entire expansion. Leveled through MoP as frost and haven't looked back since.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they try to force you to change, just look up my parses. Or Pete's. Or Kuni's. Or any of the countless frost mages who are doing just fine.

If they try to force you to change, just look up my parses. Or Pete's. Or Kuni's. Or any of the countless frost mages who are doing just fine.
    No need for that. I already consistently beat everyone that I am raiding with. Although I don't think I would be where I am if it wasn't for everyone's input on the forums. Thank you for all the testing and effort you guys have put in to allow me to play a spec I enjoy. If you want to look up my mage his name is Kij on Velen.

Im also content with my output, fun level and room for improvement. I am, however , willing to Chang to mix things up as long as that means dps breaking even or improving.

This is the reason I pay attention to the spec balance.

when will you kids learn that raidbots is one of the worst links you could post? You might as well link me Noxxic....And as far as "everyone" playing fire, there's quite a few of us frost mages who are competing and beating fire on a consistent basis.

Oh hey its this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    when will you kids learn that raidbots is one of the worst links you could post? You might as well link me Noxxic....And as far as "everyone" playing fire, there's quite a few of us frost mages who are competing and beating fire on a consistent basis.
    Not everyone knows everything.

On first blush, Raidbots seems legit to me. I posted here asking if it is.

When will you kids learn to read for comprehension rather than jumping to conclusions.