Should I buy Guild Wars 2?

I have read a lot about Guild Wars 2 and I like a lot of the genuine and unique ideas they have. But I have not read anything about end-game raiding. Are there end-game raids? And something else that I really love in any MMORPG is world pvp. Is there any world pvp in Guild Wars 2? These two things will greatly affect my decisions on buying the game. Also if there is no end game raiding, what type of end game content does Guild Wars 2 offer?

1. No raids (well no raiding like those of WoW/Rift/Swtor)
    2. the World pvp is in the WvW part of the game, there is no pvp in the pve part of the game

10+ Year Old Account
    No standard raiding but there are Guild Missions.

For world pvp there is World vs. World - a MASSIVE battle between 3 servers that lasts a week, huge maps, hundreds of players - servers each have their own teamspeaks to coordinate strike forces, spies, scouts, armies. This thread provides a good intro, but there's been a number of things changed since then.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...and-Discussion

It's definitely worth the price.
    Valar morghulis

There is no raiding, nothing comes even close to raiding in WoW.

World PvP on the other hand is absolutely amazing. WvW on top tier servers can be very fun even for people don't usually like PvP. 24/7 action with hundreds of people from 3 servers spread out over 4 maps. If you like world PvP it would definitely be worth buying the game for, just make sure to pick a high tier server not a dead one.

Other than that though the game has slowed down and is starting to show it's true NCsoft colors, don't expect it to replace something like WoW.

It all depends on what you expect. Guild Wars is not a game for the lonely player. If you play for hours alone, it's really bad. In Guild Wars you need a guild way more than most other games. WvWvW is awesome if you have an organized group with a ventrilo or something, as each person is kinda worthless, as you'd expect from a massive battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't have a subscription fee, and the content is definitely worth the initial price. The leveling experience is much smoother and more fun and dynamic than any any other MMO's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    just make sure to pick a high tier server not a dead one.

Just beware that the queues for WvW can be really long in the higher tier worlds since only 2000 players can go in at a time. We had 3 hr queues this Friday and even this morning at 7 am there was a queue when I tried to hop in.

But here's the scores if you want to see what's happening where. Kinda weird this week since they just changed the matching system.

http://mos.millenium.org/na/
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    No raids as everyone said and WvW is very hit and miss, its fun and mundane in equal measure. I am a little zergling, I run with my guild and I enjoy it, but I can only tolerate so long before I get bored. Its good but not great.
    AS to buying the game, its reduced, no real fees, it might be worth waiting for the next trial or hopping on a friends account.

If you enjoy leveling then yes absolutely get it. If you enjoy end game PvE then you'll be bored in less than a week at max level.

Deleted
    All in all, I feel as though yeah it's worth the investment BUT if you like to raid like I did, it's not worth switching over. It misses the ball BIG TIME in that department, if they did proper raids then they could have attracted so many more people. It does not fulfill the competitive needs like WoW does with endgame raiding/PvP Arena rankings. It's a fun game, I love playing Ranger in this game a lot more than playing a Hunter in WoW BUT the pet's desperately need to be fixed, they are unresponsive a lot of the time and have too much delay. At end game it just seems to play a little with your guild with missions but needs a proper dungeon finder I spent so long looking for people to queue with for dungeons each time I wanted to do one (I heard it's coming soon), they need to balance some classes a bit, introduce a raid EVEN if its just one every 4 months I can't be bothered to do things in end game purely for increasing my toons aestheticism. Improve the word font a bit and make it bold, it looks like even runescape has a better one than it currently. Better the leveling guiding experience a bit, at the beginning it was so hard to find out where to go to level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hayz View Post
    "It does not fulfill the competitive needs like WoW does with endgame raiding/PvP Arena ranking."
    Yet it has a growing e-sport scene, I've seen weekly tournaments go on and on by now and some older e-sports teams like Against All Authority are joining the scene, it is competitive in the PvP scale of things.

Quote Originally Posted by hayz View Post
    All in all, I feel as though yeah it's worth the investment BUT if you like to raid like I did, it's not worth switching over. It misses the ball BIG TIME in that department, if they did proper raids then they could have attracted so many more people. It does not fulfill the competitive needs like WoW does with endgame raiding/PvP Arena rankings. It's a fun game, I love playing Ranger in this game a lot more than playing a Hunter in WoW BUT the pet's desperately need to be fixed, they are unresponsive a lot of the time and have too much delay. At end game it just seems to play a little with your guild with missions but needs a proper dungeon finder I spent so long looking for people to queue with for dungeons each time I wanted to do one (I heard it's coming soon), they need to balance some classes a bit, introduce a raid EVEN if its just one every 4 months I can't be bothered to do things in end game purely for increasing my toons aestheticism. Improve the word font a bit and make it bold, it looks like even runescape has a better one than it currently. Better the leveling guiding experience a bit, at the beginning it was so hard to find out where to go to level.
    The game was advertised from the beginning to not have raids, it's not something they missed, they deliberately said no to that type of game play.

10+ Year Old Account
    He means that by not having raids its a missed opportunity not that they missed it out, in his opinion of course.

Well unless they pull something similar to the ascended items and add raids going against what they originally said before, then it will be an opportunity that will continue to go missed and quite deliberately. I don't think the original Guild Wars had any raids and they did just fine for quite a few years, so the opportunity cost of having raids vs not having raids has most likely been assessed and for the time being the verdict for them is that raids aren't worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole raid discussion is a circular one, as far as i'm concerned they aren't in the game and they wont be, they just need to be able to offer something else to do which right now they kinda have but also still feels lacking imo.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The whole raid discussion is a circular one, as far as i'm concerned they aren't in the game and they wont be, they just need to be able to offer something else to do which right now they kinda have but also still feels lacking imo.
    Bring back UW/FoW, that'll solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Official explanation:
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post1949860

Quote Originally Posted by ColinJohanson
    We’re trying something very unique and different with Gw2, and a lot of it plays back on the original ideas and concepts we had for the game all these years we’re trying to build towards and accomplish. It’s important to us to continue to try new things, looking at ways of evolving and innovating what a live game can be. In many cases, we’re learning right along with you guys how all of this is going to work for a live game, and constantly adjusting as we see the outcomes and find ways to innovate on what a true online world experience can be.

Living World is above all, the attempt to really give the sense the world is constantly changing and evolving. That there is events and content that change the world in the short term (like our current events) and events that can occur or change for the long term, which is what we’re slowly building towards in the future with Living World content.

Living world absolutely does not mean nothing but content that comes in and leaves again a few weeks later, and though so far that’s primarily what you’ve seen, it’s not all we will do in the future. The intent is living world provides us with a story and narrative experience, sort of like your favorite TV show, to constantly update and change the world and provide unique and exciting rewards on a regular basis.

We might have events that occur and came back again with a few modifications in the future. We may have events that occur and then find new homes permanently down the road. We may have bosses from a storyline that continue on forever as guild bounty hunts when a story completes. Living world also allows us the opportunity to upgrade and make parts of our existing game better permanently, a living world narrative could allow us to rebuild and change an existing zone or dungeon, or could destroy one entirely.

Our goal is to get to a point where on a regular basis, the world around you is not only changing in the short term through our normal event system, it’s changing and evolving permanently through our living world releases as well. What you’ve seen so far is primarily some tests and warmup stuff while we in the background organize the company to support this exciting future for our game, the future for living world is filled with endless possibilities.

Enjoy the ride!

SAB is coming back btw, with a hard mode

Stuff like SAB will cycle in and out, holiday stuff in and out of course, some is added permanently, some is part of the story which is completed, some will be added to Fractals or Guild Missions, etc. I imagine part of the reason for the temp stuff is it creates some urgency with gem store items tied to that content that have limited time availability but the rest really is about the "living breathing world" of Tyria.
    Valar morghulis