Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should I return to Guild Wars 2?

I played GW2 at release and got to level 30 before I quit. I didn't quit because it was boring, I quit because I eventually stopped playing. I had no urge to play the game, but now I want to give it a chance. Many people say Guild Wars 2 has no end-game content and that is why the game fails, is this still a valid point? Is it worth coming back to the game? I already have an account and bought the game at release so its not like I'll be investing money into it.

well, why not just log in and play? decide for yourself as only you can make the decision on whether it's worth it to play again

There's no raiding. There are lots of things to do, and growing every patch. But realistically, you are asking people to make a decision for you. There is no sub fee, by design. If you want to see if you might like it again, log in and go. As you said, it's not like you'll be investing money in it.

If you don't like it at this point, still aren't interested, no harm no loss. But there's not really anything we can say or do about your goals or whether you "should" or not.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know when you stopped, so here's the patch highlights.
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

And more detailed patch notes.
    https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news
    Valar morghulis

Thanks for the patch highlights. I stopped maybe a week or 2 after release by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Thanks for the patch highlights. I stopped maybe a week or 2 after release by the way.
    You barely gave the game a shot =(

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    You barely gave the game a shot =(
    That's part of the reason why I want to go back lol

I wonder, have there been any substantial changes to dungeons?

I just remember doing them and how unfun they were. Ascalonian Catacombs ...ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you already own the game, just jump back in and give it a try. It suffers from no endgame imo, which sucks, but you can always set a long goal like getting a legendary.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 04:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    I wonder, have there been any substantial changes to dungeons?

I just remember doing them and how unfun they were. Ascalonian Catacombs ...ugh.
    The dungeons are still bad. The temporary Molten Core dungeon had some cool boss fights, it is no longer in game though lol.

Lack of PvE content at max level killed the game for me personally. I loved the gameplay but found the only enjoyable thing to do was level alts. I don't like either form of PvP so there's just not much else to do besides farm gold for a Legendary which sounds like the most boring thing imaginable.

It's a shame, really. I hope they invest some major development time in to end game PvE somewhere down the line. I'll gladly come back then. These little event patches don't do anything for me, though SAB was fun for a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    If you already own the game, just jump back in and give it a try. It suffers from no endgame imo, which sucks, but you can always set a long goal like getting a legendary.

---------- Post added 2013-06-13 at 04:46 PM ----------

The dungeons are still bad. The temporary Molten Core dungeon had some cool boss fights, it is no longer in game though lol.
    Le sigh.
    How can they get such a basic thing so wrong...

I really trick myself into liking this game whenever I am not playing it but every time I log in I quickly realize how poorly designed the game is and log off soon after (or use it to IM friends). There are so many things, I think, are wrong with core mechanics and design that I just scratch my head and pout about what could have been. But that is my own fault for disliking the game for what it isn't (but could have been) instead of accepting what it is... I do find it ironic, though, that the very thing Anet set out to do was to reduce the "grind" but GW2 is the grindiest MMO I've played (and I played EQ).

With that said, it is a very niche game and caters to a very specific type of gamer ... so if you are that type of gamer then you should really enjoy what GW2 has to offer. Only way to find out is to jump in and play the game yourself. If you already bought it then there is absolutely no barrier.

I already have an account and bought the game at release so its not like I'll be investing money into it.
    You've answered your own question.

Every single thread that attempts to ask, "Should I play Guild Wars 2 again?" is superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Every single thread that attempts to ask, "Should I play Guild Wars 2 again?" is superfluous.
    What if you had to delete a game from your HD to make room so that you could reinstall GW2? It's not superfluous by any means. Some people can't be bothered reinstalling a game, logging on, creating a new character (or progressing on the one they already have) when the game hasn't been through any 'advanced' changes since release and there's still no competition in the game. Surely you understand some people simply cannot be bothered wasting time on something which to them seems pointless without reason?

Personal apathy and/or laziness, no message board can solve for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

How exactly is it superfluous? There is also a time investment when you play a video game. I could waste my time leveling up to max only to find out there is nothing to do, and that the game sucks... or I could ask people who have done it & see what their opinions are on the current state of the game.

The core game mechanics haven't really changed much in a year, so if you stopped at 30, i don't really see how coming back should change anything.
    No one can decide for you if you are gonna like playing this game period.

I've read many different opinions on the game, but i don't really care what anyone says, if i like it i play it.

How exactly is it superfluous? There is also a time investment when you play a video game. I could waste my time leveling up to max only to find out there is nothing to do, and that the game sucks... or I could ask people who have done it & see what their opinions are on the current state of the game.
    The problem is that my opinions are likely to differ from yours. So I will tell you there is tons to do in the game when you get to 80 and you might not think so or the other way around. You can get 100000 opinions and it won't make the slightest difference.

If you go into the game looking for something like wow or the wow type of end game then you won't find that in GW2. It's not that type of game. If you enjoy setting your own goals then you probably will enjoy it.

Deleted
    best thing you can do:

enjoy the leveling process. because having fun isnt wasted time in a game.

if you dont enjoy it dont play it.

Why not? I would at least level up and maybe even gear one char. You bought the game so you might as well play through it once.