Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Guess we could always build a rocket and launch it into space and add a few mana bombs that detonate when it's at a safe distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

When you kill an Old God you get the 7 Sha, which cause devistation by their very presence (see 5.4 Vale, thats because of the Sha of Pride) and they decided it was better to imprison the Old Gods than to create 35+ sha across the globe. A price was also paid when the Old God was killed, a Titan fell. The price was too steep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I have been led to beleive that this is the remenats of a died old god instead of a Old God himself, but maybe this is one way to 'resurrect' him?
    Now that you mention it. Yes, Y'shaarj died. How come we fight his servants still, his echo, and have to deal with his heart itself? Those things just cannot stay dead.
    I don't think there's a reason for an old god to show up anymore. Our world is so screwed up it'd be better for them to just stay still.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantsdale View Post
    Well, originally it took 40. Now it takes 1.
    You're merely subduing those two, though, not killing them.

I takes at least three full months of complaining on General forums.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    It's rather like how the Faceless Ones of Northrend are born from Yogg-Saron's saronite blood, while Yogg-Saron himself is a distinct entity.
    I don't think the faceless ones are related to yogg-saron at all. I think he got some because n'zoth lend some to him.

the faceless ones are based on marine molluscs. yogg-saron lives on ice, while n'zoth lives in the sea. cataclysm ("n'zoth's expansion") had 10000 times more faceless than WotLK ("yogg-saron's expansion").

my pet theory is that the qiraji belong to c'thun, the nerubians belonged to yogg-saron (but they're independent now, since yogg-saron's faceless attacked them), the mantid belong to y'shaarj and the faceless ones belong to n'zoth.

now why does yogg-saron had some faceless ones with him?

that would be simple to explain taking a look at Warlord Zon'ozz's Raid Journal Entry:

"Countless ages ago, Warlord Zon'ozz and his soldiers waged endless war against the forces of C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. Millennia have passed, but the warlord still serves the chaotic might of the Old God N'Zoth. Deathwing has now unleashed this legendary faceless one to crush the defenders of Wyrmrest Temple."

so, the old gods were playing war because they were bored, and than the titans invaded and they were like "oh crap, we have to stop playing to deal with these no fun guys". than yogg-saron took a look at the faceless that were sent to fight him and told them "you guys work for me now" and they were like "aye aye sir, don't eat us!".

history rewritten
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I don't think the faceless ones are related to yogg-saron at all. I think he got some because n'zoth lend some to him.
    It's said that Saronite runs in their veins (and you can see it, in Yogg-saron's faceless) As far as we know, only Yogg-saron produces saronite. He also appears completely able to apparate them out of nothing, as evidenced in his boss fight.

the faceless ones are based on marine molluscs. yogg-saron lives on ice, while n'zoth lives in the sea. cataclysm ("n'zoth's expansion") had 10000 times more faceless than WotLK ("yogg-saron's expansion").
    They seem to have different types of faceless attributed to them; Yogg-saron's are the more elephantine ones, while N'zoth has the ones that look more like sea creatures. Both of them, apparently, have control over Vezzax/Erudax/Zon'ozz-esque Faceless.

my pet theory is that the qiraji belong to c'thun, the nerubians belonged to yogg-saron (but they're independent now, since yogg-saron's faceless attacked them), the mantid belong to y'shaarj and the faceless ones belong to n'zoth.
    The nerubians were an offshoot of the qiraj initially. They wandered from the point of their creation (said to be the well of eternity) to Northrend, and took root, far enough away from C'thun's influence to break free of the old god's command.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-06-15 at 01:34 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

They never die; they only slumber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    That's why I specified the Faceless of Northrend - as Kaleredar said, many of them have Yogg-Saron's blood as part of their bodies. I think all the Old Gods have their own breed of Faceless Ones (and other creatures) that are born from them - N'Zoth has his own breed of more aquatic seeming ones, while Yogg-Saron has the Northrend type. During the Yogg-Saron encounter, clouds of saronite fog drift up from his prison and manifest into Faceless Ones. During Cata we also see Faceless Ones born from blood of Forgotten Ones, more servants of the Old Gods. I think all of them are ultimately born from the flesh of the Old Gods, with different breeds coming from different gods.

A more analogous example to Y'Shaarj and the Sha might be the Saronite Animus born directly from Yogg-Saron's blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The nerubians were an offshoot of the qiraj initially. They wandered from the point of their creation (said to be the well of eternity) to Northrend, and took root, far enough away from C'thun's influence to break free of the old god's command.
    Almost - the nerubians, the qiraji, and the mantid are all offshoots of a single progenitor race - the aqir, who gave rise to each of the insect kingdoms. The aqir were apparently made by the Old Gods, but it's not certain whether they held all of them or a single one as their master. Their descendants obviously have chosen, with the qiraji and mantid honoring a single Old God.

The titans did kill an old god, as shown in the Master's Glaive in Darkshore. That's an old god that they straight up murdered. Then I guess that messed up the planet somehow (probably something to do with the balance of nature or the elements, since there's a definite link between the elemental lords and the old gods) and apparently warranted sealing them away and populating the planet with their own creations

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    The titans did kill an old god, as shown in the Master's Glaive in Darkshore. That's an old god that they straight up murdered. Then I guess that messed up the planet somehow (probably something to do with the balance of nature or the elements, since there's a definite link between the elemental lords and the old gods) and apparently warranted sealing them away and populating the planet with their own creations
    Not quite - in Cata they made it clear that the Darkshore corpse is Soggoth the Slitherer, a big Faceless One. The Old God they did kill (sort of) was Y'Shaarj, ultimately giving rise to the Sha and poisoning Pandaria with darkness. Hence the Titans locking up the other ones to avoid the same thing happening.

Makes you wonder what we might have wrought when we struck down C'Thun and Yogg-Saron.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    If we follow Lovecraftian nomenclature, then ever the world Azeroth is named similarly to one of the old ones... perhaps this was their world first.
    Deathwing confirmed in the aspects short story that the old gods were alien to Azeroth.

On the subject of killing them one possible explanation is that the Titans were too big and powerful to be able to kill the old gods without damaging the land, particularly if the old gods were underground whereas we are small enough to be able to make precise attacks against them. Kind of like a doctor trying to surgically remove a cancerous growth...only the cancer is sentient and able to move around the host's body and hide from within the host's tissues so the only way through is through the tissue causing significant damage in the process. and if disturbed it can spit out cells to further corrupt the host. We would be more like the white blood cells attacking it on the cellular level and able to get to it without forcing our way through the host.
    But from the Titan's perspective they're the big powerful creators/shapers of worlds and that their small now corrupted creations would be able to do something they are incapable of is preposterous
    Last edited by dki07; 2013-06-15 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis View Post
    Actually the Titans were able to kill an Old God (Y'shaarj was confirmed being 100% dead).
    Except no.

Do the Dark Heart of Pandaria scenario, Y'shaarj whispers to you when you defeat the avatar he creates; "I only sleep.."

I think the reason the Old Gods on Azeroth cannot be truly destroyed has been pretty firmly established over the years; they are parasites embedded so deeply into the fabric of the world, killing them would kill Azeroth.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

http://www.wowpedia.org/Old_Gods:
    HTML Code:
    It is speculated that the Old Gods cannot die, only their mortal shell can be "destroyed" and the only true way to kill them would mean that Azeroth would be consumed along with them.
    :

The whole mortals are bad, gods/titans sent to re-origin the planet is pretty cliche now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    The Titans were perfectly capable of wiping them out, just not willing to pay the price.
    One by one, the Old Gods were defeated and sequestered, but from this great siege between the gods, the rumor of a Titan having fallen echoes across the ages.
    In the novel The Sundering, it is hinted that the Old Gods are more powerful than the Titans, including even Sargeras. It is said that they are extremely powerful and that the combined might of many Titans are required to subdue them. It is also stated that if they are freed, even Sargeras will plead for peace of death. This is further supported by their statement that little effort is needed to destroy Sargeras and turn his Burning Legion into their minions.
    Doesn't sound like removing the Old Gods would be a walk in the park.

Also, beings afflicted by the Curse of Flesh are directly linked to the Old Gods, meaning that if you remove the Old Gods, all the fleshlings on Azeroth would be no more.

Deleted
    It takes 25 mouth-breathers in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    It takes 25 mouth-breathers in LFR.
    Because this comment is entirely original and hasn't been said in almost every "killing a boss" thread since 4.3.

Grow up.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Treekodar View Post
    Doesn't sound like removing the Old Gods would be a walk in the park.

Also, beings afflicted by the Curse of Flesh are directly linked to the Old Gods, meaning that if you remove the Old Gods, all the fleshlings on Azeroth would be no more.
    Subduing somebody is usually harder than simply killing them. Especially since it means that the Titans couldn't just nuke everything from orbit, which they are shown to be fully capable of in Ulduar.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Subduing somebody is usually harder than simply killing them. Especially since it means that the Titans couldn't just nuke everything from orbit, which they are shown to be fully capable of in Ulduar.
    Not anymore, since that device (situated in Uldum) was destroyed in Cataclysm.

I'm of the belief that we merely destroy the Old Gods' corporeal forms when we "killed" them. Whenever we defeat them, they always say some sort of "I'll be back, it's only a matter of time."

This is further supported by what we've seen from each of them. They each get stronger over time. The Titans though C'thun dead - he came back and nearly destroyed the world. Yogg-saron was chained up - be broke free and corrupted nearly all of his jailers. Hell, Y'shaarj was thought completely dead and he's still whispering.

It seems evident that they continually (albeit slowly) gain strength over time. Again, C'thun's and Yogg-saron's resurgences and Y'shaarj's continual whispering seem to support this.

It's only a matter of time until they come back. We've merely put off the problem.