Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    Deleted

The new character models will be the best thing to happen to WoW in years.

If these new Garrosh/female troll models are anything to go from (which they may be, if GC is to be believed), then just wow.... this could be the best feature ever added to WoW.

We spend 90% of our time looking at models in this game. Boss models, mob models, armor models, weapon models, the world itself... these are variables, changing wherever we go, but the one constant is our character. Many of us play character models from 2005, others from 2007, a special few from Cata onwards.

This is just my opinion, but i think this model revamp will be amazing. It will feel like a complete reboot. Shiny, new, high quality, finally bringign the flagship MMO up the standard of quality that it deserves, not held back by horribly outdated character models.

Im so excited for them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ditto. As a player since vanilla, I've been waiting what feels like an age for these models to be re-done. Really proud of Blizz for finally committing to taking care of it. Personally, it ties pretty heavily into why I play WoW. Bring it on.

I too yearn for new models, so I can cover them in armor and zoom all the way out.

Seriously, I don't see why folks give such importance to this. Now.. new animations? That's something I can get happy about.

Whoa, I hadn't seen that female troll model yet. Very nice indeed. I really hope we see something about this at blizzcon if not sooner.

Though I won't hold my breath.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I too yearn for new models, so I can cover them in armor and zoom all the way out.

Seriously, I don't see why folks give such importance to this. Now.. new animations? That's something I can get happy about.
    They're doing the animations, too.

As for the trolls, OP, don't get your hopes up. They use the female night elf skeleton, like the male zandalri use the male nelf skeleton. Bitchin' model, though. Garrosh's is a new rig, too.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'm super excited too! I hate playing Orcs, but the new Garrosh model had me very interested. Not only in what they could do with the Orc model, but also how that could be applied to other races as well. My only issue is that they seem to be keeping the same basic silhouette for Garrosh's model, where I feel like some races (Orcs in particular) could use a redesign in that department.

Time will tell, but regardless, it's very cool to see all the new racial tech.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

Those are the models for Vol'jin and the priestess from the troll council encounter in ToT aren't they?

Contrarily, I'm actually quite sure Blizzard said on the forums something along the lines of 'whilst it's easy to assume they might be some sort of sneak preview of the playable race models, they aren't.' However they're bound to be better than these, on par with pandaren quality. Posable fingers e.g no mitten-hands, real eyes and mouth, functional facial bones. There's way more than just high poly count. But you're right, when it comes - and it is coming, it'll be amazing and it has been a long time coming.

Deleted
    I agree, can't wait,
    hope my Draenei will be even more sexy then she's now

15+ Year Old Account

Why do you care how other folks get their rocks off? Just let it go.

I wouldn't care in the slightest if they hadn't been putting much higher res models in the game since BC, making the old character models look like trash. Frankly, it shouldn't have taken this long to update the vanilla models, they are LONG overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I agree, can't wait,
    hope my Draenei will be even more sexy then she's now
    Draenei are a BC race though, wouldn't expect them and blood elves to be updated, at least not until after the vanilla races.

Deleted
    I think they will add features like brown orcs, or wildhammer dwarfs etc etc. Would bring so much more to the game with little effort

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Draenei are a BC race though, wouldn't expect them and blood elves to be updated, at least not until after the vanilla races.
    Pretty sure Draenei, Blood Elves, and all the classic races are getting revamped. However it's not the best thing to happen to WoW, at least I personally don't think it is. Quite a feat if that's the highlight of an expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with melodramocracy on this. While I think that updating player models will be good for the longer term as far as bringing WoW closer to modern standards on how games and their principal characters should appear, it's difficult to see how anyone will much truly deeply care about it for more than half an hour. We gaze at their backs most of the time and then there's the business of armor and zooming out so we can see what's going on around us. Basically I believe it will be a one-day wonder for most people and then back to business.

It's not as much of a contradiction as one might think to say that updating the look is important to the game and no real big deal all at once.

Then of course, on top of all that will be the inevitable storms of outrage and temper tantrums about them when they do come to light.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are getting revamped too, we've seen nothing that would say otherwise. Although it would ofcourse go without saying that they would be last.

---------- Post added 2013-06-15 at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phan View Post
    I think they will add features like brown orcs, or wildhammer dwarfs etc etc. Would bring so much more to the game with little effort
    The thing is that they can do stuff like that. Death Knights are a great example. They have unique skins limited by a class. This type of customisation could easily be applied to other races.

I think the race that's most on my mind though is Dark Irons. They've been giving Moira and her Dark Irons some pretty good story as of late so it would be great if we could play them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, even if most of the model is covered by armor, as someone who plays primarily tauren characters there's two updates that would always be visible: face and back. Face because I use X-Perl's 3D portraits so the face is always visible, and I don't use full-face helms on tauren characters most of the time. Back because tauren manes show through the upper part of the cloak and the current manes are absolutely terrible looking, so even always looking at the character's back I can always see that. I'm at least excited for that much of the update. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I'm with melodramocracy on this. While I think that updating player models will be good for the longer term as far as bringing WoW closer to modern standards on how games and their principal characters should appear, it's difficult to see how anyone will much truly deeply care about it for more than half an hour. We gaze at their backs most of the time and then there's the business of armor and zooming out so we can see what's going on around us. Basically I believe it will be a one-day wonder for most people and then back to business.

It's not as much of a contradiction as one might think to say that updating the look is important to the game and no real big deal all at once.

Then of course, on top of all that will be the inevitable storms of outrage and temper tantrums about them when they do come to light.
    So, how in the world is the ability to scale your view at all representative of the concept that new models should not be introduced? I'm not even sure why these threads require naysayers every single time. When will people get tired of walking up to someone, poking their finger in the person's chest, and declaring their opinion as more logical or making of more sense than the other?

That -you- spend most of your time staring at your character's back is all well and good. That is not representative of the entirety of the playerbase and, thus, not a sufficient argument. As we can see from these polls every. single. time. they. are. posted.: People want the new models, no matter -what- the reason is, and Blizzard agrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the races besides Worgen, Goblin and Pandaren are getting updated. They already have the updated poly count models or something like that.

Credit to Eronote.
    Credit to Shiri for Avatar

Psyched for new models as well. As you can see by my sig, I have stuck to the "pretty" races. Mostly due to BC models being a ton better than vanilla. My hunter started off as an orc female but I quickly tired of her. I've tried trolls a lot, always delete them due to their non-blinking eyes which creep me out. Human females are...terrible. I'd really like more diversity in my characters but that won't happen until their models get updated.

I thought I would add that I refuse to play female Pandaren or Worgen. Blizz completely botched both of them IMO. Worgen looking like rabid chihuahuas and Pandaren looking like care bears is completely unappealing to me.

"I will take what is mine with fire and blood."

I think it's all around awesome and I hope they dive into more in depth customization as the above poster said. Brown orcs, dark iron dwarves, etc.