Min amount of ranged for Iron Qon H?

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this was already asked, but I'm wondering if this idea would work for Iron Qon H...

Group Comp (1T, 2H, 7DPS):

Prot Pala

WW Monk
    Frost DK
    Enh Shammy
    Ret Pala
    Feral Druid
    S.priest
    Balance Druid

Resto Shammy
    MW Monk

For the first phase, it would be possible for me to have 7 people in melee (resto shammy, s.priest, bal drood stay out). Is there a minimum number of people that you need to have at ranged to prevent Quet'zal from casting Arcing Lightning into the melee group? Like... in this case with only 3 people at range, will he target one of the melee for Arcing Lightning? That would obviously be less than optimal lol.

We can run with a different comp, or the MW monk can stand out, but if we had 7 in melee it would just make the first phase a joke...

Thanks for the help!

Don't have any caster in melee range as it can cause the spear to spawn there. Granted my guild completely out gears the encounter, we do it with 4 melee (BrM, Ret, DK, Rogue) and we just take all the stacks, about 6. With your comp, I think MW Monks count as a melee, you would have 7 melee. You can just have those 7 people take all the stacks and just rotate cooldowns. With that many people it likely won't be hitting very hard individually but you will be taking more actual damage and require more HPS. You also risk more people getting hit by twisters.

What I would recommend doing is having those 6 melee, MW at range just for tornadoes, stack and take about 3 stacks with no cooldowns. Then rotate cds for the rest. Pray you got the dps to burn. If you don't, have a couple melee run out and have the 4 ranged take stacks (melee only being out to clear stacks). Remember stacks will only go out when he has 30 energy.

As far as Arc Lightning goes, it will only target ranged. It will also not bounce from one melee to another one, so if your ret pally gets it, he "shouldn't" be able to bounce it to the rest of the melee dps.

At the very least, you will have an easy P3 and P4 with that much melee!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxiel View Post
    As far as Arc Lightning goes, it will only target ranged. It will also not bounce from one melee to another one, so if your ret pally gets it, he "shouldn't" be able to bounce it to the rest of the melee dps.
    I spread it to whole melee group as tank yd after being forced to clicky.

Just have the standard 3 groups of 3 for soaking.

3 melee
    2 melee + MW
    2 ranged + RShaman

You shouldn't get spears or lightning in melee

I was more wondering if there had to be a minimum number of people at range. I'm thinking like Majordomo Staghelm from firelands, where if you didn't have enough people at range, kitty form would rape melee.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    I was more wondering if there had to be a minimum number of people at range. I'm thinking like Majordomo Staghelm from firelands, where if you didn't have enough people at range, kitty form would rape melee.
    No ranged minimum. He's going to throw the spear at any group of 3+ people once he has at least 30 energy. If there are no groups of people, ranged or otherwise, he continues to gain energy and then the big fire AoE is the result. You can pretty easily just use 2 groups. Start with a melee group taking 3 stacks and then a ranged group of 3 taking 3 stacks. And then melee take 1-3 depending on your dps and then stop when boss is at 0 energy and about 35% or less, he will phase before he gets to 100 energy.

Deleted
    just have ranged take the first 1-2, melee take the rest.

We do it with

2 tanks (dk/monk)
    3 heals (disc/holy pally/druid)
    5 dps (all ranged) lol

We have the 2 tanks and holy pally in melee and they sock 8 stacks then we use one of the ranged groups for 2 more and its dead by then. For p2 we burn the guy down in one storm so its all good we out gear the fight in a way.

Deleted
    You will probably end up with 2 wind storms with this setup. Yes you can do phase 1 with this setup, yes it will be a joke, then you will get wind storm, melees will get the debuff and half of your dpsers will need to afk in a corner not to spread it. If 2 storms are not a problem give it a go.

Melee dps never need to afk in a corner to avoid spreading the debuff--it can't be spread from melee to melee. It's actually more dangerous for them to move away from the boss, as they might accidentally move near a ranged and further spread the debuff. You won't really be able to dps the boss as he hovers over the windstorm like ranged dps could, so the dps check might be a bit tighter to avoid getting a second windstorm. It should work though, unless there is a minimum number of ranged required. Unfortunately I don't know whether or not there is a min number of ranged required.

Is there a maximum number of range recommended for this fight?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Is there a maximum number of range recommended for this fight?
    You could technically go with a full ranged group. Making 3 groups of 3 out there. Just 8 ranged+1melee would be abit ackward since you kinda miss 1 whole grp then. We usually go with 2 melee + 1 tank, or 3 melee + 1 tank.