Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Aside from the Lich King storyline, which still had its cheesy moments, I have yet to see story in-game that would grip my attention.

Add the fact that this project is blockbustery and the kind of blockbustery writers that attracts...and this seems doomed.

Surprise me. Go on. Make a compelling movie. But I'm not seeing it until the reviews are dripping with positives.

It's quite disappointing people are jumping to conclusions without a spec of footage. I mean, I could totally understand if Megan Fox was in it and what's his face directed it.

I kind of want this movie to fail, if its successful it will just spark a new wave of video game movies that will suck.

It needs to fail before it even gets off the ground, for the sake of both industries.

Video games need to be left alone to be grow as their own unique artform and filmmakers need to get off their asses and come up with original concepts for films instead of 'adapting' (read: ruining) other mediums or grave robbing old films.
    That seems kind of selfish. You want things to fail because it doesn't go to your view. Very very sad to hear this.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    I kind of want this movie to fail, if its successful it will just spark a new wave of video game movies that will suck.

It needs to fail before it even gets off the ground, for the sake of both industries.

Video games need to be left alone to be grow as their own unique artform and filmmakers need to get off their asses and come up with original concepts for films instead of 'adapting' (read: ruining) other mediums or grave robbing old films.
    Do you feel the same way about books that become movies? Because that is essentially the same thing and there have been some amazing movies that came from books, movies that won Oscars. Like any movie, it just has to be done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's quite disappointing people are jumping to conclusions without a spec of footage. I mean, I could totally understand if Megan Fox was in it and what's his face directed it.

That seems kind of selfish. You want things to fail because it doesn't go to your view. Very very sad to hear this.
    I want it to fail because I don't want perfectly good and respectful franchises tarnishing their reputations in the name of a quick cash grab, and because I want filmmakers to strive to do better by creating compelling and original films instead of stagnating in a pool of remakes and adaptations.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Aside from the Lich King storyline, which still had its cheesy moments, I have yet to see story in-game that would grip my attention.
    ... really? I guess you don't do a lot of quests then? Most recent example I can think of for an interesting story there is the sha eruption thing in jade forest. Quests have always been the most involving stories in wow, just think back to quest chains in duskwood, all of them were great!

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Going on past movies based off video games and most did not end well imo.
    going off your avatar you look like a fool but hey assumptions are fun right
    Last edited by Skandulous; 2013-06-19 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    going off your avatar you look like a fool but hey assumptions are fun right
    If you don't know what his avatar is you are the fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    I want it to fail because I don't want perfectly good and respectful franchises tarnishing their reputations in the name of a quick cash grab, and because I want filmmakers to strive to do better by creating compelling and original films instead of stagnating in a pool of remakes and adaptations.
    That train left the station a long time ago.

The WoW-cashgrab train, not the stagnating pool of remakes train. That one's going just as quickly as ever.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I can just see the guys at Square going, first off this is Final Fantasy, everyone loves Final Fantasy the name on the franchise itself will draws millions into the movie. However, this being the Final Fantasy franchise, we are going to do it right, cutting edge CGI, spare no expense. I know, I know what you are thinking video game movies have all sucked in the past, but I'm telling you this one is going to be different.

Now its 2013, and I can just imagine a bunch of Blizzard folks talking around the table saying the exact same thing
    Last edited by Wyattbw09; 2013-06-19 at 02:17 AM.

The good thing is that the movie is not restricted to a merely a game for material. The lore of Warcraft is so expansive and in-depth that there's a wealth of resources to draw inspiration from for any new forms of media. And in terms of 'rushing' things? It's Blizzard Entertainment; the company that put the 'tm' in 'Soon'.

That said, I recall the 1994 Street Fight film. *cringes* I am glad the weakness of the game-based movies is recognised. Weaknesses must be acknowledged before they can be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Going on past movies based off video games and most did not end well imo.
    Resident Evils have been pretty decent. Who could forget Academy Award Winning Super Mario Brothers?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only opinion I really have over this movie thing... For a company that already has movie quality trailers, those character models already existing someplace and artists capable of that work, I will forever /facepalm over them wanting it to be live action. Ok, I get it, you want to rival Lord or the Rings and whoever... But for gods sake Blizzard, stick to animation and you could probably even do much of it in-house if you have the office space!

if there was a warcraft movie i would want it to be around lordaeron and arthas and scourge. well also the orcs before they became the horde and stuff with taurens would be cool but other then that what else would make a good movie.. killing rag? haha i dont know pretty much anything toher then woltk and bc wouldnt be good for a movie

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Do you feel the same way about books that become movies? Because that is essentially the same thing and there have been some amazing movies that came from books, movies that won Oscars. Like any movie, it just has to be done right.
    Short answer: Yes I feel the same way.

Long answer: I think its easier to make a good movie from a book because it just translates better (most of the time, depends on the book). Something just gets lost in the translation from videogame to movie. It bothers me somewhat less because books have nothing to prove, nobody questions that books are an amazing medium for storytelling. Video games however are still struggling to be taken seriously as an artform, and bad adaptations don't help that. How can you expect non-gamers to take video games seriously as an artform when their primary exposure to video games are the Tomb Raider movies? Video game movies have a negative stigma (rightfully so, they all suck) Gamers can separate the game from the movie, but non-gamers can not. And even when movies based on books are good, they will never impress me as much as original films do. (and vice versa for that matter, games based on books / movies have the same problems the other way around.)

10+ Year Old Account
    as long as they make it as well (if not better) than the lord of the rings movies. ill have no complaints. now i know that warcraft is by no means lord of the rings, but blizzard has taken much inspiration from it.

get that kind of feel to this movie but with warcraft flavor and i think we are in for a good movie. thats just my hope anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Danial Day Lewis as Thrall
    Hi

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have high hopes but low expectations. I find that most of the time when I go into a movie theater with such I either end up saying "Well, I kind of expected that I guess." or "That was way better than I thought it would be."

Happened most recently with the awesome Man of Steel.

Take your time, Hollywood. Make the Warcraft movie the one that breaks the template of terrible/mediocrity in VG movies.

Slightly off topic:

Also, just looked at that IMDB page. Who the hell thought the Resident Evil movies deserved 5's? Those are barely worth 0.9/10 in my opinion. Absolutely terrible adaptions of the game series.
    Butts.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    I have high hopes but low expectations.
    Also, just looked at that IMDB page. Who the hell thought the Resident Evil movies deserved 5's? Those are barely worth 0.9/10 in my opinion. Absolutely terrible adaptions of the game series.
    The first resident evil (imo) was a good film. The others are truly terrible.

Your right about the low expectations though. Especially for those who easily get worked up about the game lore.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    The first resident evil (imo) was a good film. The others are truly terrible.

I hear that so often that it makes me facepalm >_< I remember watching it in the cinema and thinking
    "This isn't Resident Evil. This is something that kinda looks like it and acts like it but isn't."

Of course that's your opinion which your completely entitled to, I just have a deep-rooted love for Resident Evil which had my hopes tarnished by those movies.

Which leads back into this topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    Your right about the low expectations though. Especially for those who easily get worked up about the game lore.
    Much like Resident Evil, I have a deep love for the Warcraft lore and I do very often nerd-out over it. But I'm tired of having my hopes crushed by Hollywood with every terrible movie they make.

As my friend often says to me: "If you expect shit and you get shit. Well, no loss. If you expect shit and get gold, fist pump like no tomorrow."
    Butts.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazroshka View Post
    I hear that so often that it makes me facepalm >_< I remember watching it in the cinema and thinking
    "This isn't Resident Evil. This is something that kinda looks like it and acts like it but isn't."

Of course that's your opinion which your completely entitled to, I just have a deep-rooted love for Resident Evil which had my hopes tarnished by those movies.

Which leads back into this topic:

Much like Resident Evil, I have a deep love for the Warcraft lore and I do very often nerd-out over it. But I'm tired of having my hopes crushed by Hollywood with every terrible movie they make.

As my friend often says to me: "If you expect shit and you get shit. Well, no loss. If you expect shit and get gold, fist pump like no tomorrow."
    Understandable. I'd never played the resident evil games. So I didn't really have much to go by.
    I'll say your feelings towards the adaptation of Resident Evil are the same as my anger towards the film I am Legend.

For this movie to succeed, it needs to appeal to people who know nothing of Warcraft. I just dont see how thats going to happen.