Poll: Could it work and be fun to play?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A class without a DPS spec. Could it work? Would you play it?

So one of GC said that it is possible for WoW to one day have a class that doesn't have a DPS spec. However, it would be a challenge, since people really seem to enjoy DPS.

What do you think? Do you think that a non-DPS class would be viable and fun to play? Further what types of classes could pull this off?

the tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ghostcraw...60365020078080

yes but would be a pain to level it

I would like to see a class with a control specialization. That would be cool. It would definitely have some major impact on the game both in PvE and PvP, however.

"Buff" and "Control" classes go way, way back. It takes a certain type of player to appreciate them. Just like it takes a certain type of player to want to be a Healer.

The trick is making the gameplay compelling, and slotting them into the existing group make-up and encounter design. Take for example: there is a vast variety of DPS, Healers, and Tank classes/specs right now... but a "Buff" or Support class would be in the minority. What happens to your raid group if you don't have one of these classes?

Suddenly, your raid is pressured to have someone switch to an alt and bring that class, or respec, reroll, get benched, etc. Not a good spot to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    I doubt that, some tank specs are easier to level than their corresponding DPS specs. Warrior, DK and Monk can all level extremely fast in their tank specs. Not sure about Paladins and Druids. I imagine Bears being really fast too.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has worked out before... Vanilla paladin, wotlk Priests prior to icc - and so on could hardly be classified as valid dps contributions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think as long as WoW has the Holy Trinity (Tank/DPS/Healer) and a maximum group size of 5, it wouldn't work. In raids, there might be a spot for them, but that's the wrong reason to design a new role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could there ever possibly be a class that is pure tanking, or a class that is pure healing?

That sounds pretty nuts, but given how Monk tanking and Healing is pretty good on the DPS side of things, it could technically work.

Support / Buffer is my favorite role in almost any game and would love to have the brought into wow and would try it for sure, however I could see it difficult to make them buff there group mates to a point where its competitive with bringing another raid member without making them mandatory for every raid grp to have one

Why would it not work?
    My druid is tank/heal (although I have to admit he probably wouldn't be if you had to chose between guardian/feral before mop), and my monk also is heal/tank.
    I would never dare to level my druid as heal, but as tank you do quite fine (although killing some of the x-million life quest mobs in late MOP is a pain in the ass).
    And more so as mistweaver you do ridiculous high amounts of damage, so there isn't even a need for a dps spec.

Whilst I think it would be a very fun interesting idea, Im pretty sure it would be completely impossible to balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    It has worked out before... Vanilla paladin, wotlk Priests prior to icc - and so on could hardly be classified as valid dps contributions.
    Ret could autoattack like a truck though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNWvytYbyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    So one of GC said that it is possible for WoW to one day have a class that doesn't have a DPS spec. However, it would be a challenge, since people really seem to enjoy DPS.

What do you think? Do you think that a non-DPS class would be viable and fun to play? Further what types of classes could pull this off?

the tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ghostcraw...60365020078080
    Blood Elf only Spell Breaker class, let's do this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, there's MMO's that do it, why not.

As for leveling, I hardly leave dungeons while leveling a new character, so it wouldn't bother me. I would like to see lvl 70+ dungeons be a bit faster for leveling then, though.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    I think as long as WoW has the Holy Trinity (Tank/DPS/Healer) and a maximum group size of 5, it wouldn't work. In raids, there might be a spot for them, but that's the wrong reason to design a new role.
    Rift has 5 mans with a Tank, Healer, 2 DPS and a Support. The support is usually an extra DPS/Healer mix. It is a blast, and i really enjoy the support role.

would like to have a pure tank class.... i still do not see that the low amount of tanks situation is solved yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    vanilla priest, too. i remember smiting my way to 60 as holy & not a single instance. the same to 70 during tbc.

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    would like to have a pure tank class.... i still do not see that the low amount of tanks situation is solved yet.
    To this I say: WHY NOT?! I'm game.

Also, Wrath DK's, RIP, tank as any spec... </3

10+ Year Old Account
    Would it work? Maybe. Would it make sense? Not really. What if I want to pvp and I'd actually like to kill people? What then?

I guess that makes my first point void, it would'nt work. Atleast not well.

Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    Apparently you have never played a Brewmaster Monk or a Blood Death Knight. They level just as easy as DPS.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Rift has 5 mans with a Tank, Healer, 2 DPS and a Support. The support is usually an extra DPS/Healer mix. It is a blast, and i really enjoy the support role.
    That is the only good thing about Rift is the way the classes are set up. I enjoyed playing my Chloromancer mage a lot. That is why I am hopeful we get a 4th spec that gives everyone at least one other dungeon role. I would heal on my mage if it had a spec with a similar playstyle.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Would it work? Maybe. Would it make sense? Not really. What if I want to pvp and I'd actually like to kill people? What then?

I guess that makes my first point void, it would'nt work. Atleast not well.
    WoW is a PVE game with PVP thrown in. It is of secondary concern. Healers (and to a lesser degree, tanks) are just as important in PVP as dps. Not that I care, as I hate PVP