Thread: 2013 MLB Thread

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Granderson back on the DL, broken pinky after being hit by a pitch last night, out for 4 weeks, Phelps had to leave after being hit on the elbow shouldn't be out for long but this is one of the craziest injury runs I've ever seen this year yet somehow we're still hanging on in there on top the AL East!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Enough of these garbage umpires. Phillies playing the Brewers 4-3 bottom 9 with Kyle Kendrick (pitcher pinch running for Rollins with a sore foot) bunted to second. Brewers pitcher turns the pick him off and the 2nd baseman (might be the SS... I'm not sure) drops the ball and it rolls under Kendrick. The Brewers player then picks up the ball with his bare hand (the hand that never touched Kendrick at all) and turns to the ump who calls Kendrick out. Next batter hits a double and it would be tie game. Phillies lose 4-3.

Another crap ump call last night on Yadier Molina, tossed the helmet in frustration at grounding out and the ump tossed him for it, proceeded to toss Matheny who came out to argue within a couple of seconds of him getting there, rookie ump trying to make a name for himself, unfortunately for him that name is asshole!

Saw a replay of that. To me it really did just look like Molina was mad at himself for not producing, threw his helmet down and started walking to the dugout without so much as a glance at or word to the ump. Boom, ejected. I've seen similar happen other times. I don't remember who it was, but it was a high profile player, got strike three called on him and he just hung his head and dropped his bat, obviously disgusted with himself. Boom, ejected.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's any reason to spike your helmet like that if you are mad at yourself when it's the 3rd inning of a 2-0 game in the first week of June. To me, that helmet spike was because he thought he was safe. Whether or not he should have been thrown out regardless, I'm not sure. It's also possible he said something very quickly that we missed when he slammed it, a simple "Fuck You," perhaps. In a way he is showing up the umpire by doing that, i.e. the crowd sees their player react that way to a close play they think "well he must have been safe, otherwise he wouldn't have been so mad" which makes the umpire look bad.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-06-03 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    ...which makes the umpire look bad.
    The instant ejection made the umpire look worse, imo.

In the last week I've seen atleast a couple of helmet spikes, none of them were ejected, the ump clearly wanted people to know who he is and is trying to set himself up as a no-nonsense kinda guy which has backfired, because now every player in the game knows he's a jerk and he'll get zero respect from players. For as much as we bitch about them why do you think guys like Jim Joyce have stuck around, because yeah he can have the odd blown call, but he doesn't go out there looking to be the centre of attention, he goes out there to umpire a game.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Again I would just add we can't ever know for sure if Yadier said anything when he spiked it. Irregardless that type of action shouldn't happen. We don't need 10 year old kids out there spiking their helmets because they see professionals do so. The ump probably should have let it go, but it was definitely one of the more animated helmet spikes I've ever seen, a 2 handed slam dunk with full force.

Also I could see Molina getting suspended for his reaction after getting tossed, he was nuts.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    In the last week I've seen atleast a couple of helmet spikes, none of them were ejected, the ump clearly wanted people to know who he is and is trying to set himself up as a no-nonsense kinda guy which has backfired, because now every player in the game knows he's a jerk and he'll get zero respect from players. For as much as we bitch about them why do you think guys like Jim Joyce have stuck around, because yeah he can have the odd blown call, but he doesn't go out there looking to be the centre of attention, he goes out there to umpire a game.
    Joyce does have a "LOOK AT ME" strike call, but that's about it. It doesn't really detract from his ability to officiate a game to me.

An exaggerated strike call is one thing, but that's stylization - that doesn't affect the game and is no different from how any person walks or speaks, what the ump did the other night on the other hand was "hey, I'm new here, I want to be a badass", which is something NO umpire should be looking to do, that's the sign of someone who forgets that the officials are not what people pay to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone get in touch with Sony.. get these video game umps to take over they're more consistent

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, from his angle there's no way he could of seen the ball squirt loose. IMO in that situation it's on one of the other umpires to see it, otherwise there's really nothing he can do there except be in better position.

Molina suspended 1 game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Molina suspended 1 game.
    I have to wonder if there was something going on with him and that ump before that call.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was nice to see Puig come up and contribute, getting a couple hits and ending the game by doubling up Denorfia on a throw into first from the warning track. It wasn't quite Jose Guillen ridiculous, but it was a good hard accurate throw.

I dunno about that throw, it was a belter, but I'm not so sure the throw beat the man to be honest, but it's arguably one of the best throws I've seen in a while and certainly one of the best without containing Jeff Francoeur for some time (probably since Gregg Golson's laser at the Trop a few years ago)

10+ Year Old Account
    Game 2 of the Puig story continues to be interesting, he has a throwing error, and 2 homers and 5 RBI

reminds me of when Kemp came up and hit 7 HRs in 2 weeks

and today... a grand slam, so thats 3 HR 9 RBI in the first 4 games of his career, he is trying to single handedly save Mattingly's job
    Last edited by draynay; 2013-06-07 at 05:42 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta hand it to the Jays, they are really starting to turn around their season. The bullpen has been exceptional when called upon, pitching is getting better with every game and the hitting is really rolling along.

Yasiel Puig is doing his damndest to make Bryce Harper look ordinary, ball sounds like a cannon coming off his bat!

Yankees win on a Chris Stewart RBI in the 9th, shame for David Phelps as he matched Hernandez all the way, incredibly Stewart & Brett Gardner actually have better averages than Robinson Cano, Gardner's been hitting the ball well the past few days and went 4 for 5 today after getting 3 broken bat hits yesterday!

Why the fuck does the Red Sox keep marching our Bailey? I'm sick of seeing this clown give up homeruns, and leads every time he takes the damn mound.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they got the memo since they are giving the job to Uehara now, out in LA its still a mess with neither League nor Jansen getting the job done. If they even get to them, gave up 2 in the 7th and 2 in the 8th last night, the bullpen is a disaster again.