Am I doing something wrong with demo spec leveling?

I am leveling a new warlock alt and I went demo spec at lvl 10 and I just noticed that the tooltip for demon form says it increases dmg by 24% but when I have the buff up the buff says dmg increased by 0%. Am I doing something wrong or what?

no, you'll have it when you reach lvl 80 and mastery comes available. afaik the source of that increased damage for meta form is mastery and pre-80, there is no mastery.

I looked into this, and its likely a tooltip error generated by the lack of Mastery before level 80. You're still getting the baseline bonus, but the tooltip is basically trying to do math with a zero and coming up with zero.

Deleted
    You can easily check your dmg with and without Demon form and you will notice that 24% difference in dmg.

---------- Post added 2013-06-24 at 07:20 AM ----------

You can easily check your dmg with and without Demon form and you will notice that 24% difference in dmg.
    Btw. low level demo is the worst leveling spec ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post

---------- Post added 2013-06-24 at 07:20 AM ----------

Btw. low level demo is the worst leveling spec ...
    Wrong, the damage is exactly the same. Checked it today with an alt, found confirmation on the official forums.

Yeah all my abilities still hit the same with or without demon form up. I am lvl 42 now and still having the problem. Are level 90s having any issues?

I think this is due to the fact that you don't have "mastery" as a passive until level 80.

Other classes have the same drawback: combat rogues, arms warriors, and MM hunters won't get extra free attacks pre-80, mages won't do increased spell damage in certain circumstances, and healers won't have their bonus healing/absorbs/etc.

Until you hit 80, metamorphosis should just give you some alternate abilities with which to play, as well as a way to regenerate/conserve mana. Once you get nether plating, you are also quite a bit tougher as a demon. It's not the giant dps shift that it is at higher levels, but also you don't have Dark Soul yet, which is really what makes metamorphosis do a ton of damage.

Demo leveling is really flawed and stupid.
    1. As others said meta grants no bonus damage ( 24x0 = 0 instead of 24x1=24, maybe it's intended though.)
    2. You don't get ToC until level 25~ making demo form almost useless until then. Shadow Bolting in meta is the most stupid thing ever, especially as you gain fury and you are actually unable to spend it unless you do Soul Fire which isn't worth it.
    3. You don't get Molten Core before level 69 making Soul Fire useless until then (besides, it does same dmg in meta as without until level 80)
    4. You can maintain an infinite demo form by hellfiring in meta.
    5. ToC refreshes Corruption to 27 seconds even though you don't have Pandemic
    I'm pretty sure there is more but I can't remember them right now.

Deleted
    I'm leveling as Demo too - almost up to 30. Should I drop it for one of the other specs then?

demo is really nice once you get touch of chaos and hand of guldan. lots of aoe + instants. destro might be a little faster now once you get chaos bolt and shadowburn, since shadowburn generates embers on kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sikosh View Post
    I'm leveling as Demo too - almost up to 30. Should I drop it for one of the other specs then?
    Honestly, in my opinion, every spec evolves into its end-game form as you level. Demo may be slightly more obvious because of the way demonform gains extra transformations as you level up, but every spec is missing key pieces until nearly max level. At least you have a felguard- he's pretty useful for soloing. (He has a threat multiplier and can eventually learn to AoE/burst, as well as do a 4 second stun on a short cd).

I think leveling itself is easy enough that you should stick with whatever spec interests you. If demonology without empowered demon abilities is boring, maybe you should try switching. However, for example, destruction will also be missing some key passives and cooldowns until higher levels as well.

an off topic suggestion, lvl with destru.

Why not affliction? Multi-dotting can be fun for some people.
    Destro is easily fastest for non-AoE.

I've found that Glyph of Demon Hunting works pretty well for Demo leveling, but I'm also bad at using meta when available and would just run around in that mode (questing, not dungeons (it has a 500% threat increase)) for the toughness and instant spell abilities. Once you get the passive that generates imps on your filler abilities, it's no problem. Before you get that, it's still pretty good IMO, but again, I didn't run dungeons then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartungar View Post
    Why not affliction? Multi-dotting can be fun for some people.
    Destro is easily fastest for non-AoE.
    well, considering wet noodles are more handy than afflis' dots, I highly recommend anyone to lvl as destru. havoc, RoF,FnB they all surpass affli's multidoting power, and even without them destru is fast enough to kill multiple targets with single target rotation faster than what affli can do with multidot, at least in lvling
    to OP: but most importantly what you like, is best so if you want to play demon, just leave stuff like damage increased in demon form or other specs' multi target power, play demon and spite on ppl in demonic language :P