10+ Year Old Account
    I guess the hot shit for these systems are done now til release I guess. I am starting to change my opinion on the 180 and I think it will do just as equal as the ps4 is going to do. Reason why I think this is because most of these companies don't give a shit about us gamers, its just our money. The ones that I think that truly care are the true game developers, the ones that will make the games that help us get the "feels".

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    late to the party but I dont get why people care if they changed their mind on something before it was even released. I dont see why that would impact a purchasing decision. all that matters is what they actually go through with not what they consider doing.
    Maybe it helps when you read the comments?

---------- Post added 2013-06-24 at 07:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    They knew what they were doing, they just didnt feel the need to tell you everything at once.
    But instead they only told you?

Sigh...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    I doubt it. They'd either need to release modding tools for the consoles (lol) or they'd need to allow for PC mods to be brought over...and considering how both consoles are closed systems that require every damn thing that goes onto them to go through endless certification processes, I'd be surprised if they allow that : /
    UT3 for PS3 had mods.

You won't be able to "hack" the executable like on the PC (sadly required it appears for most Bethesda game as their programmers can't program worth a damn), but "safe" mods should not be a problem.

---------- Post added 2013-06-24 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by owain glyndwr View Post
    yes I see your point defo people seem to care more about "specs" than how a game actually plays and feels but then this has been the focal point of gaming since the NES/master system days lol. I agree WoW on the other hand has timeless grafix and that's because it suits the game perfectly. WoW would be awful if it had grafix like rift etc (which are horrible btw).
    Consoles are not what they once were it seems. Consoles used to be the quick fix fun solution to gaming without the need to install for ages, update components constantly to play the new game thats just come out and let you sit on your settee to play with friends instead of in the corner of your living room on your pc behind the door ;p
    What else is there to talk about when it comes to consoles that is relevant to games? That's what the console is, a bunch of hardware.

It nevertheless an important topic, as the said hardware defines the upper limit on what could be done on it - I don't care how good a programmer you are, you aren't going to be able to do Quake on the NES.

Consoles nowadays are trying to be tooooo much it seems. I only bought a console to play games and that's all, games !!!. I don't want to watch tv or any of the other crap on a console that I can do much easier on my pc or heck even watch tv on my tv heh ;p.. as much as I like console gaming (or used to, kind of bored with consoles and gaming in general atm ;p midlife crisis much lol) I highly doubt ill be buying xbox one or ps4, they seem a bit pointless nowadays... the niche has gone for me..
    So you complain about people talking about nothing but the spec. But if they talk about the other "features" you complain as well ...

---------- Post added 2013-06-24 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Microsoft always does better on the tool side of development than Sony, no reason to think this generation should be any different. Still, even if the memory was hard to develop for you have it a bit backwards, it would be hard to develop for in the short run, but in the long run people would get used to it as we saw with the PS3 being hard to develop for.

Still I think it is hard to say much here until we start seeing games on both platforms. What hardware looks like on paper seldom tells the full story.
    The PS3 already had a "modern toolchain" the last I heard. The PS4 should not be any worse. It's not like during the PS2 days anymore.

"Get used to it" still means having to work harder to get it to do what you want. To this day, developers still complain about the PS3's Cell and split memory.

I also believe that the developers will have to coordinate the memory transfers between the 32 MB ESRAM and the 8 GB DDR3 RAM by hand. 32 MB is very small and the DDR3 has very limited bandwidth at 68GB/s, so you got to be careful about how you schedule transfers.

Of course there is the weaker GPU of the Xbone - the PS4 has a 50% edge in GPU power. Don't think that is something you can "get used to".
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-06-24 at 11:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I think this pretty much sums up the Xbox One discussions and any console war in general:

[video=youtube;xJZNJYSnjcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJZNJYSnjcA[video]
    I dunno why people keep repeating "CORPORASHUNS JUS WANT UR MONAY" like it's some massive hidden truth. Here's the dealio though, not all actions corporations take in the pursuit of money are equal. A company that appeases me is more desirable than one that doesn't (I have no idea why I have to say this but apparently I do). It doesn't matter whether or not they're dangling their vacuum cleaner above my pocket, at least they have the courtesy to not slap me in the face while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Xbox fills the hardware gap with gimmicky memory architechture, though, which will be much harder to exploit to its full potential in the long run. Developers will find it much easier to fully utilize PS4's one big chunk of fast memory.

---------- Post added 2013-06-24 at 04:38 AM ----------

The modding is actually a great business plan. It gives their games unprecedented longevity and allows the user to tailor his experience for him, making it attractive to far wider audience. Hell, Oblivion is still in the top 100 steam games and that came out in what, 2006?

But modding on consoles? Nah. Not as long as even putting a patch online costs developers 20.000$, plus it's a level of freedom traditionally not found on consoles and which console companies do not want their player to have. They fear it'd open the foodgates and make all sorts of hacking easier, and they aren't completely wrong.
    Agreed on all counts.

Just for some personal perspective, I played Fallout NV on 360 for roughly 400 hours. Then last year I got a new gaming PC and got FONV Ultimate, due to UI and graphical mods alone the game felt entirely new and I've spent another 100+ hours in it.

Maybe we'll get lucky this next-gen of consoles and we'll see more games with features like Halo's "Forge" (IIRC that's what it's called) where users can create maps and game types. Sure we'll never see new character model or entire stand alone type mods (think team arena master for unreal tourny) but we'd see a LOT more longevity in games for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    More powerful? care to explain. Their very close in being identical to graphics and such. they are not "MORE POWERFUL."
    PS4 has GDDR5 RAM, Xbox One has DDR3.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2013-06-24 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    I dunno why people keep repeating "CORPORASHUNS JUS WANT UR MONAY" like it's some massive hidden truth. Here's the dealio though, not all actions corporations take in the pursuit of money are equal. A company that appeases me is more desirable than one that doesn't (I have no idea why I have to say this but apparently I do). It doesn't matter whether or not they're dangling their vacuum cleaner above my pocket, at least they have the courtesy to not slap me in the face while doing it.
    I shut that video off halfway through when he started accusing consumers of wanting "entitlements"... Nothing irks me more when somebody bandies that label around.

But basically that's what I said about Sony vs MS - Sony actually offers me VALUE for my money. Yes, they want money - but they do it in EXCHANGE for value. MS really doesn't seem to do that anymore. They shifted their focus from adding value for the consumers to adding value to the developers and advertisers, while Sony did not. Sony went straight for the consumer - which is what a normal company can and should do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    The ones that I think that truly care are the true game developers, the ones that will make the games that help us get the "feels".
    I can honestly say that Sony's Uncharted series and Last of Us definitely belong to that category. It's definitely got something to do with the business ethic of the (Empire of) Japan. They believe customers are important not just because of money, but they believe they need to deliver good products to customers. In West it's really different. Here companies only view customers as source of money and everything else matters little. That's why first xbox 360 consoles got so many problems, they didnt even care to test those enough before delivering them to customers.
    Last edited by mmoc8eb592856e; 2013-06-24 at 03:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone found a decent explanation that isn't subhuman that explains why Microsoft is forcing indie devs to get publishers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Has anyone found a decent explanation that isn't subhuman that explains why Microsoft is forcing indie devs to get publishers yet?
    Personally I don't even think they know why they are doing that and unless it changes if you want a LOT of indie games you will ether go to steam or ps4.

I personally just started getting into playing indie games and some of them are more fun then AAA titles.

Even tho I suck at it no clue why I keep playing Super Hexagon

Me playing Super Hexagon "best 3$ spent ever lol"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HObYWP2DUY

I have gotten a bit better at it just playing it with arrow keys sucks I rather use a joystick. I plan to pick up Dust: An Elysian Tail soon since it looks really fun.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-24 at 05:23 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    My first proper indie game was minecraft, way before any polished game was around, now its not indie, even if M$ try to push it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    My first proper indie game was minecraft, way before any polished game was around, now its not indie, even if M$ try to push it as such.
    Ya at this point minecraft is a AAA game lol.

I been wanting to check out hotline miami.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya at this point minecraft is a AAA game lol.

I been wanting to check out hotline miami.
    No...no it's not. It's not having tens of millions poured into its development and maintenance. However Mojang definitely isn't an indie studio anymore with their current cash flow.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    No...no it's not. It's not having tens of millions poured into its development and maintenance. However Mojang definitely isn't an indie studio anymore with their current cash flow.
    ....that is wrong.
    A game dose not have to have tens of millions poured into its development to be a AAA game.

The game has sold tons of copys on the Xbox360 and good chance it will on the XboxOne The game is played by 10's of millions of people all the time. It is being backed by one huge company "Microsoft"

To decide if a game is a AAA title should be based on a few things.

1) how popular it is.
    2)The company's making it and publishing it in this case its Microsoft publishing it and 4J Studios making it. 4J may be small but Microsoft is HUGE.
    3) how many people play it even after its been released.

Hell Minecraft had its own moment at E3 when the XboxOne games was getting showed off.
    A game dose not need 10's of millions of dollars and Activision/EA/Capcom to be a AAA title. Hell just the level of how popular it is can decide if its a AAA title or not. While I myself have not played minecraft I have seen many videos of those who have and it hands down beats a ton of AAA titles so that there alone makes it a AAA title.

If a minor basketball player beats a pro basketball player good chance you can count that minor a pro because he had the skill to get the job done. The same can be said for games if a indie game can come up and be as popular as a AAA title "like COD for example" then it can be counted as a AAA title.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-06-24 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AAA really means different things to different people http://www.oxm.co.uk/40625/features/...erans-discuss/ covers it pretty well, I personally rate a game AAA on popularity and hype as well as development cost, I expect others to think differently though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    ....that is wrong.
    A game dose not have to have tens of millions poured into its development to be a AAA game.

The game has sold tons of copys on the Xbox360 and good chance it will on the XboxOne The game is played by 10's of millions of people all the time. It is being backed by one huge company "Microsoft"

To decide if a game is a AAA title should be based on a few things.

1) how popular it is.
    2)The company's making it and publishing it in this case its Microsoft publishing it and 4J Studios making it. 4J may be small but Microsoft is HUGE.
    3) how many people play it even after its been released.

Hell Minecraft had its own moment at E3 when the XboxOne games was getting showed off.
    A game dose not need 10's of millions of dollars and Activision/EA/Capcom to be a AAA title. Hell just the level of how popular it is can decide if its a AAA title or not. While I myself have not played minecraft I have seen many videos of those who have and it hands down beats a ton of AAA titles so that there alone makes it a AAA title.

If a minor basketball player beats a pro basketball player good chance you can count that minor a pro because he had the skill to get the job done. The same can be said for games if a indie game can come up and be as popular as a AAA title "like COD for example" then it can be counted as a AAA title.
    Microsoft is producing the port to Xbox. Minecraft was originally produced by Mojang.

And if a Minor league basketball player beats a pro basketball player he might have the skills to be a pro but he's still a minor league player until he's recruited by a pro team.

Minecraft is an insanely popular indie game but it's still an indie game.

EDIT also not to be a spelling nazi but i see it in every one of your posts...it's does, not dose, a dose is a measured quantity, usually for medicine.
    Last edited by Dasffion; 2013-06-24 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I dont think a company that has upwards of 20 members being an indie team anymore, indie is about small teams developing games, the games themselves don't need to be small but the teams and budgets generally do. Again like AAA I guess what you consider indie is fairly subjective.

Notch doesn'tknow either http://uk.gamespot.com/news/minecraf...-indie-6349139

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Microsoft is producing the port to Xbox. Minecraft was originally produced by Mojang.

And if a Minor league basketball player beats a pro basketball player he might have the skills to be a pro but he's still a minor league player until he's recruited by a pro team.

Minecraft is an insanely popular indie game but it's still an indie game.

EDIT also not to be a spelling nazi but i see it in every one of your posts...it's does, not dose, a dose is a measured quantity, usually for medicine.
    That's quite possibly the worst analogy on the planet.

Who recruited Capcom and Konami to allow them to become "Major league"? Who recruited Rockstar? Or Bethesda? or BLIZZARD for that matter?

Or was it maybe the GAMES that brought in a substantial cash flow that allowed them to make tripple-A games that did it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Publisher restriction (what is it about Microsoft and restrictions?) will guarantee that most of the indie community will be on PC and ps4 first and will keep that in mind at the center stage. Games will come out, but will not reach xbone until years later.

Only reason I could think of "why" Microsoft would do such a thing is the entry barriers that it would obviously inflict. It gives current publishers on xbone a way to combat and contest new entry before they get a piece of their market share.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye it is a terrible analogy indeed, analogies rarely ever work on the internet it seems.

As to why, I hear some people say its to stop floods of poor quality games, dunno where I heard it, maybe on a podtoid or something.