Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You know you played in Vanilla when... you would enchant your low level weapons with beast slaying for that awesome red glow, or +7 weapon damage for the blue glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgen View Post
    You know you played in Vanilla when... you would enchant your low level weapons with beast slaying for that awesome red glow, or +7 weapon damage for the blue glow.
    Oh god yes!

Also twinks had a level 19 Warrior fully decked out in the best twink gear around. He was a monster.

If you know this joke:

Q: How many rogues does it take to kill a paladin?

A: Two: One at the paladin and one at Ironforge innkeeper

Just for fun I am going to take this even farther back...

You know you played in Beta when...

You farmed skill points by soloing elite whelps in the Blasted Lands.
    You were able to learn every profession as long as you used enough skill points.
    You were able to play an undead character and speak with Alliance players.
    You played a paladin and totally destroyed undead players in PVP.
    You were able to learn skills like mob tracking on any class.
    You attempted to enter the plaguelands only to get obliterated by hidden Infernals.

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    The only dishonorable kill I ever had on my main came from a party member killing a low level Horde npc ...... And I did rage at him
    I used to raid with someone who got to Commander just for the mounts, then spent weeks farming dishonorable kills to get back down to private. Lol.

You went to a cave (not in it) near Nethergarde Keep and tagged a "minion of IQYTW^Y" whatever... and this fellow couldn't die and did piss damage... so you would go afk and train your weapon skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadtwo View Post
    You played vanilla if...

a) You were one of the thousands of dead skeletons inside Black Rock Mountain
    b) You had completed the Onyxia key quest chain
    c) You paid gold to make your Scholomance Key
    d) You remember Stratholme, Scholomance, Black Rock Depths, Upper and Lower Black Rock Spire being 10-15 man groups.
    e) You remember contribution points from combat in Hillsbrad during the South Shore vs Tauren Mill push and pull combat.
    f) YOU WERE AT the opening of Ahn Quraj Gates
    g) You remember the Trolls White Raptor
    h) You would kill for a Zandalari Hero Charm
    i) You partook in "The Shadow of the Necropolis" Scourge Invasion 1.0
    j) You remember Horde had Shamans, and Alliance had Bubble Hearth, I mean Paladins
    k) You remember Azeroth before Battlegrounds, Mauradon, Dire Maul
    l) You fought the 3 Green Drakes, Azeragos, and/or Kazzak
    m) Your Gnomish Death Ray and Shrinking Ray were devastating in PvP
    n) As a Rogue, you could stealth into Orgrimmar/Ironforge and use a Gnomish Mind Control cap to take control of a member of the opposite faction, and have them attack their flight master, for fun
    o) You had a piece of your Tier 0 gear ninja'd, and it upset you
    p) You qued for 2-8 hours for an Alterac Valley, just to spend the next 2-16 hours in the same battle
    q) You knew (for Horde) Peeling the onion was the only way to win AV because of the darn BERSERKER TROLL in the middle of AV
    r) You remember Sithilus as a deadzone
    s) You had no safe town/fp inside Western Plague Lands as Horde (what a terrible run back)
    t) The cave on the shore of Eastern Plague Lands was empty, and Tyrion was a hermit hiding out from the world in his small house
    u) You remember the battle for Darrowshire quest line
    v) Gold was neigh impossible to keep (if you were a raider)
    w) As a Mage you had to make raid food and water, TWO AT A TIME (or warlock shard farming)
    x) ONLY THE CHOSEN could make Hand of Sulfuron/Thunderfury
    y) You damn near crapped your pants when you saw your pvp opponent was in tier 2 shinies (pre AQ)
    z) You had to individually fly between flight masters as there was no Point A and B, there was Point A-Z

Did those things in TBC :/
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I remember kiting the General in ... LBRS ? I think back to the Beast while the rest of the group killed the adds, then you feigned death and hope it didn't resist (it always resisted so I'd die every single time).

Oh and the best part of vanilla (to me) was fly to southshore. Then start walking to silverpine, swim through the lake, aggro the murlocs on the little island in the middle, walk in front of undercity, hope you don't aggro the guards or a lvl 60 sees you. Keep walking, reach SM and run the (very long) instances there for hours. Fun times.

Oh and the epic fight between Southshore and Tarren Mill before BGs we're released.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    Just for fun I am going to take this even farther back...

You know you played in Beta when...

You attempted to enter the plaguelands only to get obliterated by hidden Infernals.
    Oooh I remember those from stress test beta

I didn't play in the 'normal' beta though... well... at least not online if you know what I mean :P

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    [/B]Did those things in TBC :/
    You remember Sillithus being a deadzone? I guess you didn't open the gates of AQ then yet? Else that is a false answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post

That's my proof and if I had access to my first account, it would go back even further.

Anyone can find something someone said about vanilla in another thread or forum, repeat it, and pretend it's the good old days or whatever. Hell, remember that poll MMO-C had about when you joined a while back and the majority claimed vanilla? hmmm...
    You take this how seriously?

Did it occur to you MMO-Champion is probably mostly visited by pretty serious gamers a rather large amount of whom would have played WoW in its first year?

15+ Year Old Account
    Paladin self buffs (Seals) lasted only 30 seconds, so you had to rebuff continuously :P Or then it was just a nightmare.

People powerleveled in Maraudon, kiting the slow slimes at the start. Gave insane exp, until they got nerfed. Still gives only 40 ish exp this day.

You could kite Volchan from Burning Steppes to Goldshire and let it slaughter people there for a long time. Fun times :P

And let's not forget when Kazzak raided Stormwind.

Last edited by Kuja; 2013-06-27 at 03:20 PM.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    You had to click every flightpoint step by step.

I was a Warlock so here is some Warlock themed ones. Some of them have been mentioned!

-You leveled Tailoring to make soulstone pouches because they took up your inventory, especially if you couldn't afford large bags.
    -You farmed Soulstones before raid/anything.
    -Pet control was far more important because pet pathing was buggy, it was easy to link/aggro shit if you didn't properly control your pet which equaled lots of frustration.
    -You slaved your ass off for your Dreadsteed of Xoroth and have the feat of strength to prove it. A Warlock with Xoroth was an instant indicator of a decent Warlock because of the money, resources, time and help it required.
    -Corruption had a 3 second cast time.
    -Your rotation consisted of Corruption > Shadowbolt.
    -Warlock quests had you running around Azeroth like a crazy man.
    -You looked for Stamina on your gear. Stam on cloth was offically Warlock gear because it contributed to your pets health.
    -People would get extremely angry with you if you didn't soulstone the healer or tank, instead of soulstoning yourself.
    -Shadow Armor/Fel Armor was a 5 second cast, 30min buff.
    -Having Banish/Fear keybound because it was the only reason you where invited to most things.
    -Healthstones worked like Mage food, you had to trade them out. There was no fountain. They also cost soulstones which takes you back to having to farm them regularly.
    -Healers getting angry at you in dungeons for Life Tapping too much.
    -Declaring in vent that you are going to life tap spam in raids so the healers can top you up, or asking for permission to life tap.
    -Curse of Elements whore, this was more prominent in vanilla/tbc as we where the only class access to this debuff. It was so important that it took over any other curse in your rotation if you where the only Warlock. If you had multiple warlocks you would fight over who does Elements because it was a personal DPS loss.
    -Being asked to use Imp for Stam buff. I remember the period of time I had to defend myself because I was using felpup. When more classes where given stam and Imp stopped being an optimal pet, people where so used to Warlocks using Imp it was almost wrong when a Warlock used anything else.

A true sign of an oldschool veteran warlock is still having a grand spellstone in your bank.
    Last edited by Lidenbok; 2013-06-27 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Forgot imp stam!!!

Deleted
    - When you can Transmog the PVP gear
    - When you were able to see the Sons of Ragnaros during the fight
    - When you cry when you remember your wipe on Razorgore
    - When you could only try Vael for 2hours per week (days? not sure anymore)
    - When you had to farm maraudon to kill Huhuran
    - When Oura was a fucking insane Boss
    - When you had to crush your head on the wall Versus the twins
    - When you spend months to kill C'thun
    - When you earned some PVP titles

It was an insane period, used to play 5-6h per day and I was working at the same time oO, I don't even know how i was able to do it. (raid from 8pm to 1am + the farming before).

I actually miss it. Not the farming. But the accessibility to everything in the game really broked all the purpose in the game. I had a casual time in TBC and even if I was not able to raid the actual Tiers, I had a lot of thing to do. Dungeon were really epic and regarding even for casual.

Now it is just a fast food game. But I am still playing as I love the lore.

Ahlala

I remember we tried to have a lock in at least every group with a tank for the imp stamina buff.

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbere View Post
    - When you can Transmog the PVP gear
    - When you were able to see the Sons of Ragnaros during the fight
    - When you cry when you remember your wipe on Razorgore
    - When you could only try Vael for 2hours per week (days? not sure anymore)
    - When you had to farm maraudon to kill Huhuran
    - When Oura was a fucking insane Boss
    - When you had to crush your head on the wall Versus the twins
    - When you spend months to kill C'thun
    - When you earned some PVP titles

It was an insane period, used to play 5-6h per day and I was working at the same time oO, I don't even know how i was able to do it. (raid from 8pm to 1am + the farming before).

I actually miss it. Not the farming. But the accessibility to everything in the game really broked all the purpose in the game. I had a casual time in TBC and even if I was not able to raid the actual Tiers, I had a lot of thing to do. Dungeon were really epic and regarding even for casual.

Now it is just a fast food game. But I am still playing as I love the lore.

Ahlala
    sometimes I miss it and then I remember dungeons like Maraudon took hours and hours to do if you wanted to do it from start to finish. Some of those fights we're really hard too.

Easy...we link our pvp achievement from Vanilla. Even doing a single bg back then would grant you the first rank.

Borelgore was a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Easy...we link our pvp achievement from Vanilla. Even doing a single bg back then would grant you the first rank.
    no achieve in vanilla...
    plus, I'm not even playing on the same server I was playing in vanilla (though all my toons are still there).

Few weeks ago I wanted to create a new char and I got the message that I had the maximum allowed ! I didn't even know there was one

Probably has been said already, but its a personal favorite of mine.

"You played vanilla if you know that *everything* was hunter gear."