Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

does absorbed damage break greater invisibility?

i had bad times yesterday on Jin'Rokh: i didn't get hit by diffusions, but died many times for lightning storm's ticks because i wasn't receiving any heal.
    I was specced cold snap to avoid every ionization (and that part works really well); what about taking greater invisibility instead of cold snap?
    This way i can iceblock just one Ionization, but can use Greater inv for lightning storm.
    Now, i know that greater inv breaks from aoe damage... so just 1 + 3 = 4 seconds of 90% damage reduction...
    Do you know if greater inv breaks also on ABSORBED damage? What is happening if i pop a fresh ice barrier and then hit greater inv?
    Is the 90% reduction applied before or after the barrier?

thanks for advices

Deleted
    Eh, I think absorbed damage breaks greater invis, did for me on HC Iron Qon at least. The 90% reduction is there as long as Greater Invis is up and for 3 seconds after, so if it breaks on absorbed damage you'll have 3 seconds of reduced damage so you'll have damage reduction if you pop the barrier before.

You could try what I do, it works out perfectly and allows me to slack a lot.

Cold Snap:
    Use first Iceblock on first storm, you take no damage and you can be hit by a fuckload of orbs
    Pop cold snap for a self heal and dodge orbs on second storm or pop cold snap and Iceblock orbs and storm again
    Cold snap should be available for the third storm, rinse and repeat

Ionizations:
    Ice Barrier + hots and have a healer dispell you while standing outside of the raid.

This works quite well for me and means the healers can ignore me during a storm, only problem is you will want to have blink off cd in case some nasty orbs come your way when Iceblock drops. Some of the raiders in my guild recommended the Greater Invis + Temporal Shield on Jin'rokh method for him, but it was much easier on the healers to have me immune on every storm.
    Last edited by mmoc8dc2d50c9b; 2013-06-27 at 01:21 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, Ginvis breaks on any type of damage.

I use Ginvis on Jinrokh - jump out and pop it 2 secs before it explodes.

If I'm in a sticky spot during lightning storm with no heals, I can just pop IB and sit there, immune for 10 secs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khali View Post
    Eh, I think absorbed damage breaks greater invis, did for me on HC Iron Qon at least. The 90% reduction is there as long as Greater Invis is up and for 3 seconds after, so if it breaks on absorbed damage you'll have 3 seconds of reduced damage so you'll have damage reduction if you pop the barrier before.
    bha, i was dreaming of ice barrier aborbing 1M+ damage with the 90% reduction

Use first Iceblock on first storm, you take no damage and you can be hit by a fuckload of orbs
    Pop cold snap for a self heal and dodge orbs on second storm or pop cold snap and Iceblock orbs and storm again
    Cold snap should be available for the third storm, rinse and repeat
    this is a nice way to do it... but you can't snap + ice block at 2nd storm, 'cos this way you have both in cd for 3rd storm.
    So i guess:
    1st storm: iceblock
    2nd storm: ice barrier + healthstone + heal from cold snap must be enough to survive ticks without healing
    3rd storm: iceblock

Ionizations:
    Ice Barrier + hots and have a healer dispell you while standing outside of the raid.
    this isn't a great problem... aside from losing dps compared to the ionization's iceblocking

Some of the raiders in my guild recommended the Greater Invis + Temporal Shield on Jin'rokh method for him, but it was much easier on the healers to have me immune on every storm.
    my healers too seems to have troubles healing anyone during the storm

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 03:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MattRas View Post
    I use Ginvis on Jinrokh - jump out and pop it 2 secs before it explodes.
    If I'm in a sticky spot during lightning storm with no heals, I can just pop IB and sit there, immune for 10 secs.
    this is a very good tactic IF your healers can normally keep you alive while the storm is ticking... this way you only get 1 out_of_jail card (iceblock) to be used in one of the 3 storms
    Last edited by mmoc54382669c3; 2013-06-27 at 01:50 PM.

Yes, Ginvis breaks on any type of damage.
    That's actually wrong. There have been many a time where I'm hit by AoE (such as Quills on Ji-Kun), and I've noticed it didn't break instantly; took about 2-3 ticks before it did. Can't confirm if it's because of bubbles or not, but I know G-Invis waits a moment before just popping.

It's similar to Subterfuge (L15 talent) for Rogue, but a lot more random.

---------- Post added 2013-06-27 at 11:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rnucci69 View Post
    bha, i was dreaming of ice barrier aborbing 1M+ damage with the 90% reduction
    Theoretically, it does if you pop both.

Realistically, it still absorbs 100k, G Invis just shaves off most of it first
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Theoretically, it does if you pop both.
    Realistically, it still absorbs 100k, G Invis just shaves off most of it first
    that's what i would like to test... just need some time (that i haven't now) and some aoe ticking...
    pop ice barrier then pop greater inv... what happens?

It doesn't break on absorbs. Sometimes on Lei Shen I derp and pop GI early so that I'm invised while catching bouncing bolts with Ice Barrier up and it doesn't take me out of invis if I manage to absorb all of it.

I don't know exactly how the IB-GI interaction works but if I happen to get a chance to do it this week on Lei Shen, I'll try.
    Last edited by Jaylol; 2013-06-27 at 04:25 PM.

that's what i would like to test... just need some time (that i haven't now) and some aoe ticking...
    pop ice barrier then pop greater inv... what happens?
    If the hit would do 1m damage, it would first reduce it to 100k, then IB would absorb the leftover (100k).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Everyone saying Ginvis doesn't break if the damage is absorbed is absolutely wrong.

YES, GInvis breaks even if you absorb the damage.

How OP would it in PvP if the enemy had to penetrate your IB before they could knock you out of invis??

this is a very good tactic IF your healers can normally keep you alive while the storm is ticking... this way you only get 1 out_of_jail card (iceblock) to be used in one of the 3 storms
    Lightning storm damage is laughably low (lower than on Normal) if you avoid the balls.
    Last edited by mmoc58ecfb2e10; 2013-06-27 at 09:24 PM.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How OP would it in PvP if the enemy had to penetrate your IB before they could knock you out of invis??
    They can't see you, they can't hit you. It already removes DoTs. ???????

Everyone saying Ginvis doesn't break if the damage is absorbed is absolutely wrong.

YES, GInvis breaks even if you absorb the damage.

As I stated earlier, I've stayed invised countless time to soak a bouncing bolt on Lei Shen with IB up and it has never broken invis unless it broke all the way through my IB (which is possible from a lightning add, helm of command, other stuff).

And Kuni is correct on the PvP note.

Hell, I'll even purposely test it tonight just to make sure it absolutely does not remove invis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taking any kind of damage completely removes Invisibility, even through Ice Barrier - that's one of the reasons why priests always use Halo, Death Knights use Death and Decay etc. at the start of arena battles in which a mage is invisible.

Also, damage reduction goes before the calculation of damage taken, so you would take 90% reduced damage through Ice Barrier with the Greater Invisibility damage reduction. Also, you can check that the G.I. and G.I. damage reduction are separate abilities and separate buffs on your buff bar.
    My magic will tear you apart.

I can confirm that greater invis didn't break with ice barrier absorbed all the damage.

Deleted
    I'm using following:
    Iceblock with Glyph
    Coldsnap

First storm: Pop Iceblock as soon as he starts casting the storm -> Coldsnap right after you are in block
    Second storm: Pop next Iceblock, should be ready because of Coldsnap
    Third storm: Coldsnap should be ready 1-2seconds after the storm begins -> Coldsnap and Block again

With this you can sit all three storms in your block and no healer has to have an eye on you

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, yes, AOE. Anyway, there is an odd thing at play, then. Eating a bouncing bolt doesn't remove g.invis. Static shock does. It's not an all or nothing thing, there's apparently some that do and some that don't. Strange. Henzington, what'd you test with?
    Last edited by Kuni Zyrekai; 2013-06-27 at 11:09 PM.

Just ice barrier and always keep moving, if your about to get boxed in by a bunch of orbs you can't dodge or blink from iceblock it

I use GInvis instead of being dispelled and i've never needed cold snap

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Greater Invis is your best friend on this fight. Before Ionization drops jump out and pop it; you should take next to no damage. If your healers are having trouble healing through Lightning Storm than you have some big issues there. While the damage on day 1 with sub 520 ilevel, it's easily manageable. even without item upgrades.

Oh, so I tested it like I said I would, just to be absolutely certain. Can 100% confirm if you absorb with IB, g-invis does not break.

Why do you use Ice block with Cold snap talent on Lightning Storms? This is a huge dps loss cause you just sit in Ice block doing nothing. Is it so hard to just avoid balls and dps on the move? Even if you get hit by a couple you will not die, consume a health stone if necessary or use shield.
    On the other hand, greater invisibility is essential for this fight cause you just have to blink out 3 seconds before Ionization debuff ends and pop Invisibility so you take almost no damage at all. The talents you take hurt your raid dps and healing as well.
    On Topic, I believe that if you have shield on, absorbed damage does not brake Greater Invisibility. In raids, most of the times even with a shield on, the damage you take is high enough to brake the shield and pop you out of Invisibility.

Deleted
    Lightning storm damage is laughably low (lower than on Normal) if you avoid the balls.
    lightning storm does around 850k in 15 seconds. How are you supposed to survive without healing?

---------- Post added 2013-06-28 at 12:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    On Topic, I believe that if you have shield on, absorbed damage does not brake Greater Invisibility. In raids, most of the times even with a shield on, the damage you take is high enough to brake the shield and pop you out of Invisibility.
    if damage reduction is applied before ice barrier, Ginv will make possible aborping around 1M aoe damage... i'll give it a try next reset