Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Puts on muscle. Gets rid of fat.

Heavy compound exercises burn insane amounts of calories in a short period of time, and excessive muscle regeneration also burns calories, hence lifting heavy is a good way to lose fat.

And yeah, it is about quantity, not content. You can lose weight by just eating chocolate, but that will harm your body in the long run.
    The basic principle of losing fat= calories in< calories out. The quality of the diet IS based on the content though.

OT:
    My favourite cardio would be skipping rope. Double or triple jumps for 60 seconds make me sweat my ass out, and dem calves burn hard afterwards. When warming up for lifting - you don't need to warm up your whole body by doing running or biking - before doing, lets say, bench, just do 3-4 light sets of 8-20 reps of bench so you prepare your benching muscles for a heavier load.
    Not only that, you also prepare the central nervous system for the upcoming exercise. Personally I prefer doing 5-15 minutes of cardio for a full body warm up, then a couple of warm up sets before each of the heavier excercises (bench press, squad, deadlift etc).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    I don't know much about Jujitsu, but most Martial Sports require short, incredibly powerful bouts of maximum exertion, consistently over a period of time. If you look at the kinds of training that these athletes do - it's predominately high intensity, short, sharp, brutal interval training over rounds to mimic the flow of a fight.

My 2p would be to ditch the half hour of cardio in favour of high intensity interval or circuit training utilising sprints or low-distance runs at max (or near to max) intensity.
    while a single fight is a fairly short burst of cardio, these soon add up. we usually go with 2x3 minute rounds, which in itself is knackering - but we do an entire tournament non stop, so the only break between fights is the other fights.

In my last comp I actually entered into the sparring in was the fourth fight of the first round, got into the semis, had a 1 fight rest, had to fight again, and then had a 1-2 minute rest while the judges were swapped round, I had to do 6x3 minute rounds going all out in the space of half an hour, and the decline in my fight game was noticable after the first fight. I want to improve on this, especially if I want to move towards the cage (something i'm still contemplating if I can drop the weight class)

I was hoping to do some HIIT, but the treadmills don't seem to have a setting for it, and I'm not sure if I can make one or not, I need to speak to someone at the gym.

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 09:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Puts on muscle. Gets rid of fat.

Heavy compound exercises burn insane amounts of calories in a short period of time, and excessive muscle regeneration also burns calories, hence lifting heavy is a good way to lose fat.

And yeah, it is about quantity, not content. You can lose weight by just eating chocolate, but that will harm your body in the long run.
    The basic principle of losing fat= calories in< calories out. The quality of the diet IS based on the content though.

OT:
    My favourite cardio would be skipping rope. Double or triple jumps for 60 seconds make me sweat my ass out, and dem calves burn hard afterwards. When warming up for lifting - you don't need to warm up your whole body by doing running or biking - before doing, lets say, bench, just do 3-4 light sets of 8-20 reps of bench so you prepare your benching muscles for a heavier load.

Since starting this thread I've been talking a lot to a friend of mine who is very nearly a fully trained personal trainer, and he certainly seems to know his stuff. He suggested something similar about instead of doing the low weight high reps, doing 2-3 sets of 10 reps at about 80% of my 1RM - suggesting that building muscle will burn more fat, something about more having more muscle itself burns more calories? I asked some questions that he hasn't got back to me on yet, but it confused me a bit . . .

I have been tempted to try the skipping rope, although it was never something I was good at as a kid . . . lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I was hoping to do some HIIT, but the treadmills don't seem to have a setting for it, and I'm not sure if I can make one or not, I need to speak to someone at the gym.[COLOR="red"]
    Try this one for starters:

400m gentle warm up jog
    Set Treadmill to 6% incline and to the fastest speed you can maintain for a short period of time. Do 8 "rounds" of 20secs sprinting on the treadmill with a 10second rest between each "round". The speed might have to be adjusted each round but you want to maintain as high intensity as you can each round.
    ---
    400m gentle jog.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Try this one for starters:

400m gentle warm up jog
    Set Treadmill to 6% incline and to the fastest speed you can maintain for a short period of time. Do 8 "rounds" of 20secs sprinting on the treadmill with a 10second rest between each "round". The speed might have to be adjusted each round but you want to maintain as high intensity as you can each round.
    ---
    400m gentle jog.
    I'll make a note of that on my phone and try it out when I hit the gym tomorrow evening =) thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yogamarg View Post
    I will be planning on doing a lot more cardiovascular as compared to prior health and fitness center consumption intervals, i'm going to have a minimum of 35 min's cardiovascular heat up (plus a long time around the heavy bag) after which a few cardiovascular in hot lower.
    Whats your diet like? I know you might've been told to shy away from Carbs, but they're actually essential to your workout, not a fuckton you know, but without them you'll be constantly tired, etc. Also, protein shakes, bars, powder, Steak (mmmm), all do great wonders. Keep your caloric intake down to under whatever you burn that day and you'll make the ladies swoon just by flexing! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdark View Post
    Whats your diet like? I know you might've been told to shy away from Carbs, but they're actually essential to your workout, not a fuckton you know, but without them you'll be constantly tired, etc. Also, protein shakes, bars, powder, Steak (mmmm), all do great wonders. Keep your caloric intake down to under whatever you burn that day and you'll make the ladies swoon just by flexing! Good luck!
    Carb cycling works well. 50% of calories from carbs on exercise days, less than 30grams on rest days. Makes you want to workout just to get yummy food :x

I am moving toward doing a great deal more cardio than past rec center use periods, i'm set to point for no less than 30 mins cardio warm up (in addition to some an opportunity on the overwhelming sack) and afterward some cardio on warm down.

---------- Post added 2013-06-30 at 02:22 AM ----------

I'm not moving toward doing any substantial weights (bar discovering my one rep max) immaculately in light of the fact that I would prefer not to build up. the cases given were what i Used to do. When I wasn't worried about my weight, as i wasn't contending in any hand to hand fighting around then, so building up wasn't an issue and so forth. This time I'm attempting to make a weight class.

I usually do a 10min warm up with running, rowing or cycling.
    Usually do 20x4 or something like 15 - 15 - 10 - 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 with different weights. Use the weights you know you can lift x20 times or whatever you decide is enough.
    If you want to bulk up i would use heavy weights and do low reps, like 6x4.
    mmo-champion has become full of trolls and bad admins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, why was he banned? What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    Lastly - how much cardio warm up/down should I be looking at each gym session, and can anyone suggest ways to make it less boring? I never used to do more than 5 mins on the bike before starting my pyramids, but now i appreciated i need more cardio work, but after 20mins on saturday I was bored off my face . . .
    We have a group activity at our gym called Club Challenge (yes, it sounds really gay). I joined in this friday for the first time and it was actually pretty fun and good. It's simply 30 minutes of intensive cardio and VERY low weight full body training.

http://vimeo.com/57148040
    This is a huge group doing it (promotion video).

Maybe something like that or in that direction is more interesting for you than just sitting on a bike? You got to get creative if you want to enjoy your workout .
    For warming up... well I think you just need to get some discpline and get through those 5-10 minutes. It's not much. We got TV screens hanging around to get your mind off of it (instead I would be watching my time constantly :P).