Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    All this hardware doesn't just make better graphics. It enables developers do more things, more complex and creative things. A simple example is a game with a big world. If you don't have the processing power, that just doesn't happen. Period.

And you're ignorant and delusional if you think that gameplay or graphics or audio alone can save a game. An audiovisual interactive medium such as a video game is made by all 3 of its main components.
    You don't need massive amounts of power in order to create a massive world, you have to design it right in order to create a high quality open world. If that were actually possible, a game like Skyrim wouldn't require progressive rendering and loading in order to generate the whole world. Games with a level based system tend to be far more focused in terms of detail and design quality, meanwhile large open worlds like Skyrim are plagued with bugs and graphical errors.

Look at the Zelda games, Skyward Sword had a relatively small open world in terms of the area you traversed to get to a dungeon, and it was thoroughly detailed as well, but the dungeons were even more detailed and had a fairly large scope compared to the open world. Actually, I think each dungeon was pretty much bigger then the open world itself. But the game also had the sub worlds prior to the dungeons, while the main world was just the Skyloft area. That kind of design is better then having one massive open world with very little attention to detail and all the dungeons lack scope and originality like Skyrim does. I think this is an area where Bethesda needs to fix their games, Oblivion had the same problems as Skyrim in terms of open world bugs and a lack of polish. I understand wanting to make a large open world, but it needs to be one that is progressive, and that the game needs to have zones that can be polished individually in order to reduce the number of potential bugs, while giving the game a large open world feel.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 01:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Nintendo will never just go software only, they have a huge market of overprotective parents who want to shelter their children from the real world Violence, sex, drugs and Nintendo prides itself on keeping such things out of their games.

I mean honestly if you were a parent who wanted to force ignorance on your children which would you choose
    Nintendo = hit your head into blocks and money pops out.
    PC/Playstation/Xbox = kill or rob zombies/hookers/civilians and take their money.
    I'd rather my kids smack their heads into blocks then commit murder, at least it's childish and laughable, telling kids that murder is acceptable is not. Which one is going to put your ass in prison for the rest of your life? It sure as hell isn't smacking your head on a block. But hey, I don't want my kids to grow up being a bunch of white wannabe gangbangers like half the douchebag kids today try to be. I seriously pity society today, kids are going to be borderline retarded in the next couple of generations because people seem to think it's acceptable to coddle their kids and allow them to be exposed to violence at the same time. But hey, my parents brought me up properly, I am sure your parents hardly even gave a shit what you did when you were a child, though by the way your post is formatted, you are probably still living at home sucking on the tit that is your parents income while you attempt to act like you know a thing or two about gaming on an Internet forum.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    teaching right from wrong is not a video game task, it's the parent's.

video games does have rating, just like movies and other media. A concern parent can refer to those. i wouldn't insulate my kids from the real world, as depicted in various media (not just video game by the way), but accompany him through the years, trying to get some moral standard about right and wrong, about honorable and value of effort in their head.

i may be wrong, but that's my belief. i don't see anything wrong with video game as long as you have control and make informed decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Yes, because 5 Halo games plus a remake in less then a decade and a yearly Rehash of Duty are really any better? How about Assassin's Creed being milked to death? Oh, and Nintendo has piles of franchises that most of you louts have never even touched, probably because you think they are too 'kiddie' for you. So many people never bought Battalion Wars for the Wii, that game was loads of fun, it was basically a spin on Famicom Wars but in a different world and characters. Or The Legendary Starfy, which I guarantee only a few elite Nintendo fans have ever played since only 1 game has ever had a translated release worldwide.
    I talked about Halo and AC in post 357. And don't just assume i am one of those guys that doesn't play a game because it looks "too kiddie".

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Nintendo will never just go software only, they have a huge market of overprotective parents who want to shelter their children from the real world Violence, sex, drugs and Nintendo prides itself on keeping such things out of their games.

I mean honestly if you were a parent who wanted to force ignorance on your children which would you choose
    Nintendo = hit your head into blocks and money pops out.
    PC/Playstation/Xbox = kill or rob zombies/hookers/civilians and take their money.
    Reducing the exposure of young children to violent imagery is forcing ignorance? You're right, I would be clueless as to how to navigate the "real world" if I didn't know exactly how far blood splatters when you eviscerate someone.

Nintendo is a werid company. It doesn't like leaving its comfort zone.

I'd love for Nintendo to go software only. I miss playing the Zelda games in particular, but they aren't worth buying new systems when the others are so much better. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon. They may not be winning any console wars, but they've got a pretty devout core following that won't die out just yet. Maybe in another generation it'll happen.

Fuck the Wii, it was shit.

LOVING the Wii U, but hating the wait for actual games to come out; it's gathering dust upstairs except the occasional time my family wants to play Fortune Street.

So... No. Also, I doubt Game Freak would want to design Pokemon games on any other console (as they've still shown 0 interest after ~20 years), and I don't want to live in a world with no new Pokemon games.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    Super Paper Mario & Paper Mario: Sticker Star says hi (PS: The first was okay but not expected. The second was fucking shit)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is an article that shows why Nintendo doesn't consider Sony or Microsoft as any competition.

TL;DR: Nintendo makes far more money than Sony or Microsoft combined. So as for going software only, why give away profits to falling behind competitors? Console: Nintendo, Software: Nintendo, Characters/Idea: Nintendo... Stay exclusive and share no profit to 3rd party developers/middle-man/anyone outside...

This would be a terrible thing to happen to gaming. Why would you want to see only Microsoft vs Sony. Two companies who basically do the same thing battling over specs and gimmicks.

Nintendo might not have the most games, or get all the FPS games, or cater to the hardcore; but at least they do something different than anyone else in gaming and make an attempt to push more than just graphics and media capabilities forward. There needs to be a wild card in the gaming world and that is Nintendo.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revak View Post
    This would be a terrible thing to happen to gaming. Why would you want to see only Microsoft vs Sony. Two companies who basically do the same thing battling over specs and gimmicks.

Nintendo might not have the most games, or get all the FPS games, or cater to the hardcore; but at least they do something different than anyone else in gaming and make an attempt to push more than just graphics and media capabilities forward. There needs to be a wild card in the gaming world and that is Nintendo.
    i agree, i believe Nintendo has its place in the gaming hard ware. i am not a nintendo fan, last nintendo i bought new with tons of games was the SNES, it was the "gamer" console back then. today, i prefer PC or XBOX/PS type of game but i think wiiu has it's place.

it's unfortunate that nintendo refuse to follow microsoft and sony in term of power. A console with the power of next gen, the third party next gen game and the nintendo exclusive could easily dominate, because they choose the underpower route, they are a niche, a big niche, maybe the bigger niche, the family niche. They could be the end all be all, now they are just the family entertainment (which, by the way, microsoft try to get a share of)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    Oh really? The Wii was a completely different avenue from their "comfort zone" that was the previous 4 console iterations.

Super Paper Mario & Paper Mario: Sticker Star says hi (PS: The first was okay but not expected. The second was fucking shit)
    Those were hardly outside Nintendo's comfort zone. They just combined a bunch of elements from the other Mario RPGs and platformers, stuff they already had a lot of experience with.

A better example would be: the entire Gamecube era. They took a lot of risks with their games back then, and most of them turned out great. It's a shame they probably won't try stuff like that again anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by xlightning View Post
    I talked about Halo and AC in post 357. And don't just assume i am one of those guys that doesn't play a game because it looks "too kiddie".
    No you did not address Halo and AC. Just because mario is from the "80s," does not mean that there is no room to innovate in any games that have mario in them. 80s mario isnt mario now, while games like call of duty and halo stayed 90% of the same throughout their entire franchise

And besides, some games are timeless. Tetris comes to mind. The game play remains the same, but people continue to play it because it is a good game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    [COLOR="red"]
    I just spooged a little. That game looks so freaking amazing, I will be buying a Wii-U when that game comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    No you did not address Halo and AC. Just because mario is from the "80s," does not mean that there is no room to innovate in any games that have mario in them. 80s mario isnt mario now, while games like call of duty and halo stayed 90% of the same throughout their entire franchise

And besides, some games are timeless. Tetris comes to mind. The game play remains the same, but people continue to play it because it is a good game.
    it all comes down to the simple question

do you want to play another mario?
    do you want to play another call of duty?
    do you want to play another assassin's creed?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    it all comes down to the simple question

do you want to play another mario?
    do you want to play another call of duty?
    do you want to play another assassin's creed?
    I think that all depends on the type of Mario game, since there are a variety of different types of games. Honestly, I am not even going to waste my time with Super Mario 3D World, because it looks like another reiteration of the NSMB series, which was great when it was fresh, but now it's stale. I was hoping for a new 3D platformer, not another half ass side scroller.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that all depends on the type of Mario game, since there are a variety of different types of games. Honestly, I am not even going to waste my time with Super Mario 3D World, because it looks like another reiteration of the NSMB series, which was great when it was fresh, but now it's stale. I was hoping for a new 3D platformer, not another half ass side scroller.
    The first NSMB was good but the others seemed meh, I watched gameplay of them and they looked far too easy.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post

I mentioned theme.

Anyway, i know they innovate but 30+ years. Can't they come up with something new to replace Mario? I don't wanna look like those guys that don't play because they think it's for kids but i can't understand how someone, older than 12, can play Mario over and over again.

Believe me, i am very open minded and i know tastes are subjective but i can't understand people obsession with Nintendo games.

And don't tell something like PS and MS gamers can't understand the magic of Nintendo games. I know that some games can only be appreciated by a few. And yeah, some games are timeless. Super Mario Bros will be forever remembered by me. That's a timeless game. SMB2,3,4,5,x,u,y,7,43,54 are not.

3d world is a sequel to 3d land on the 3ds, it isnt a side scroller its more like if you added the level system and a timer to a 3d mario game, it plays just like any other 3d mario game but it has a timer and you are trying to get to a flag/boss instead of a star

---------- Post added 2013-07-02 at 12:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xlightning View Post
    I mentioned theme.

Anyway, i know they innovate but 30+ years. Can't they come up with something new to replace Mario? I don't wanna look like those guys that don't play because they think it's for kids but i can't understand how someone, older than 12, can play Mario over and over again.

Believe me, i am very open minded and i know tastes are subjective but i can't understand people obsession with Nintendo games.

And don't tell something like PS and MS gamers can't understand the magic of Nintendo games. I know that some games can only be appreciated by a few. And yeah, some games are timeless. Super Mario Bros will be forever remembered by me. That's a timeless game. SMB2,3,4,5,x,u,y,7,43,54 are not.
    because most of the mario games play pretty differently, the 2d games have less changes but all of the 3d mario games are pretty different and they are making new franchises all the time they just often get overlooked, nintendo has dozens of different ips and if you are counting all games related to mario as one series you cant really do that, just because mario is in a game doesnt mean its the same thing.

Deleted
    since 1996 with mario 64 we've had a grand total of four 3d mario's for a home console.

since 1996 with mario kart 64 we've had a grand total of four mario karts for a home console.

infact the only mario game which is arguably over used imo is mario party (9 titles since 1996) and they usually still offer more changes than your annual CoD, fifa, etc.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-07-02 at 11:55 AM.