15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone watch the Kara no Kyoukai movies? Thoughts on them?

Just finished watching the first one, it was pretty good. Was kinda confusing, but the OST and animation were awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post

Just finished watching the first one, it was pretty good. Was kinda confusing, but the OST and animation were awesome.
    Watch it.

Watch it all.

WATCH IT NAOOWOWOWOWOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

In other words, yes it's good.

It is a bit confusing but the beautiful animation and amazing OST put this in my must watch list.

Did I mention the OST is amazing.

Omg. Two months without internet. I thought I was going to die. Thank goodness for my massive backlog that I have downloaded. Only good thing that came out of not having internet was I managed to knock out an enormous amount of anime off my backlog that I've been meaning to watch for forever. And damn am I so far behind on this season that just ended. I missed 8 weeks of episodes I think. Hell, I think the next season is just about to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Omg. Two months without internet. I thought I was going to die. Thank goodness for my massive backlog that I have downloaded. Only good thing that came out of not having internet was I managed to knock out an enormous amount of anime off my backlog that I've been meaning to watch for forever. And damn am I so far behind on this season that just ended. I missed 8 weeks of episodes I think. Hell, I think the next season is just about to start.
    Season started yesterday! You have a lot of catching up to do.

Don't bother with Photokano or RDG though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Season started yesterday! You have a lot of catching up to do.

Don't bother with Photokano or RDG though.
    Ok, good. Was hoping I wasn't behind on this season, too lol. So many episodes I have to watch. I'll definitely be dropping a few shows that I was iffy on before now that I'm so far behind.

concentrate on the highlights of last season -> valvrave, susei no gargantia, Hatarakou, OreImo, Railgun, Shingeki and Yahari Ore
    in the second tier would be stuff like date a live, devil survivor, Dansai Bunri, Nyaruko, Hentai Ouji, MJP, Arata, Hayate and Mushibugyo
    well and 3rd tier is all the other stuff i watched or am still watching like rdg etc. ^^
    also never forget the ongoing depending on what u watch but Hunter x Hunter was great the last few episodes if u have red the manga its a must watch anyway

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Whatever is on my MAL currently watching list from spring atm is probably what I'll be sticking with. I decided to drop majestic prince, yurushiki, and aku no hana from what I was already watching, though. Karneval, devil survivor, and zettai will most likely be dropped as well. I'll give them each 1 more episode and that'll decide it for me.

While it sucks that I didn't have internet and wasn't able to participate in the discussions of the shows as they aired, the positive side is I can now watch a bunch of episodes in a row without having to wait every week for a new episode.

How's Attack on Titan fared as its progressed? Lost any of its momentum or is it still going strong?

I was keeping a list of the anime I finished since I couldn't update MAL right away. Damn did I watch a lot in those two months lol. Though I slowed down a lot near the end. Was getting kind of burnt out. That and none of the shows in my backlog seemed appealing at the time. Ended up rewatching almost all of Stargate Sg-1 lol.

accell world
    gosick
    shiki
    kino no tabi
    Sword of the Stranger
    Gin'iro no Kami no Agito
    ergo proxy
    ikoku meiro croisee
    tamayura
    princess mononoke
    my neighbor totoro
    nausicaa
    guilty crown
    borrowers arriety
    laputa castle in the sky
    the place promised in our early days
    Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
    Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru
    Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru Futari no Elder The Animation
    Kara no Kyoukai
    A Letter to Momo
    grave of the fireflies
    Cencoroll
    Hiyokoi
    Kodomo no Jikan
    Kodomo no Jikan - Ni Gakkiv
    Kuragehime
    Kaichou wa Maid-sama
    kamisama no memochou
    haibane renmei
    Durarara!!
    Mashiroiro Symphony
    rewatched deadman wonderland
    rewatched death billiards
    xam'd
    time of eve movie
    rec
    the world god only knows
    rewatched yosuga no sora
    tsuritama
    nana
    nyan koi
    Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
    flcl
    Mawaru Penguindrum
    Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!!
    Sakamichi no Apollon
    rewatched toki wa kakeru shoujo
    The Tatami Galaxy
    rewatched kiki's delivery service
    One Piece Mugiwara Chase 3D
    rewatched One Piece Strong World
    kino no tabi movie 1 + movie 2
    Voices of a Distant Star
    mononoke
    fairy tail movie

wow u rly watched alot ;D
    shingeki is very slowpaced but its still a good watch only thing that pisses me off that they have a long recap at the beginning over every episode so they are basicly dragging the story out to milk more money ;P but just skipp all the recap stuff and everything else is still good animation and music is just top notch

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Wooooooo its slated for release in Fall.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...lated-for-2013

The TOHO Cinemas chain of movie theaters lists an October 26 opening date for Gekijō-ban Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magica Shinpen: Hangyaku no Monogatari (Puella Magi Madoka Magica New Feature: Rebellion) on its advance ticket reservation page.

http://www.tohotheater.jp/theater/00...nceticket.html
    Last edited by BloodyAngel12; 2013-07-02 at 12:04 PM.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Whatever is on my MAL currently watching list from spring atm is probably what I'll be sticking with. I decided to drop majestic prince, yurushiki, and aku no hana from what I was already watching, though. Karneval, devil survivor, and zettai will most likely be dropped as well. I'll give them each 1 more episode and that'll decide it for me.

While it sucks that I didn't have internet and wasn't able to participate in the discussions of the shows as they aired, the positive side is I can now watch a bunch of episodes in a row without having to wait every week for a new episode.

How's Attack on Titan fared as its progressed? Lost any of its momentum or is it still going strong?
    Karneval is actually better later on, turning into a fun and worthwhile watch, I'd stick with it.

Titan's lost a lot of momentum for me and I think others too, the biggest reason being the god awful pacing and the 3-4 minute long recaps each episode.

Also very lazy animation. Over half of each episode is stills cause they can't be assed to animate an animation.

Deleted
    I agree with titan having lost it's momentum. It seems like they are arteficially prolonging the series. Nontheless, it's a good watch and def worth to keep at it, even though it moves at a speed befitting of a lazy continental drift.

On a side note, started Dog & Scissors. While not as funny as, say, cuticle detective Inaba, it's def entertaining, so I guess this will be my first new anime this season.

Deleted
    Ok, since all one-cours I have followed in this season are finished let me write my impressions on them. More on some, barely a couple of words on others - I just want to share my thoughts.

Date A Live: Did not expect a lot of this one and I was pleasantly surprised. It was mostly simple and straightforward, but some parts really stood out - namely, the Kurumi arc. The fights and soundtrack there were astounding, and the character itself was rather interesting.

All in all it was still an unambitious piece of animation - but that made it no less fun to watch. Oh! It also disposed of the one thing that made me drop reading the novels, and that's a huge plus. :) All in all, solid 3.5/5. It'd be around 4/5 if the entire thing was as good as Kurumi arc - but well.

Samurai Bride: Ok, the first season was nothing spectacular but it did deliver beautiful artwork and animation with plenty of action to support itself. I expected the same of the continuation: plenty of fanservice, unique art, fluid animation and dynamic action, all flowing on an interesting - if generic - storyline. And it delivered! Only art and fanservice, though. All this maid cafe nonsense, complete lack of any plot except for episodes 1, 11 and 12 and, most importantly, extremely scarce action... I am very, very disappointed. If the entire series was as good as the first and last episodes it would be 3.5/5. But like that? 1.5/5, and so generous only because the art was no less wonderful and last episodes made up a bit.

Crime Edge: Well, that was interesting. The plot was not inventive, but it was executed acceptably, with interesting characters. Animation during fights was very nice - the effects and filters made the combat beautiful and enjoyable, distinctly different visually from the rest of the show. All in all, 4/5 - that's 0.5 point up for awesome special skill of the protagonist. Come on, how often the good one gets an ability with the sole purpose of inflicting pain on their enemies? ;D

Devil Survivor: Started as 2/5 candidate for a drop, evolved into a much more interesting story - though fights were very unimpressive. Story might have been generic - but it had a nice twist to it and was conveyed well, it did not shy from killing the characters either. Yes, it did have a happy ending with everyone alive again - but it was not forced at all. The entire point of the protagonist's fight was to recreate the world from before the catastrophe after all. 3.5/5.

Hataraku Maou-sama!: Brilliant. A perfect blend of action and comedy with a bit of drama, not a minute was boring. The fights were dynamic and felt powerful, comedic insertions never messed the pace up - on the contrary, they fit in very well - and the bits and pieces of drama did not feel out of place. Moreover, the story is promising, though it did not advance a lot over the thirteen episodes. Gets 5/5 from me. Maybe in time I'll drop it a bit, but with the show relatively fresh in my memory I find no reason to bring it down from the full score.

Yahari Ore blahblahblah: At first I thought it was going to be just a generic school love comedy, but I could not be more wrong. Or maybe not? All in all it would be very ordinary... if not for the protagonist, who easily gets the protagonist-of-the-year award. The show was a bit slow and boring at times - but Hikki continued to carry it on his shoulders, making it an unique creation. His monologues were interesting, showing a completely different views from what we are used to in anime, his solutions to problems were reasonable and realistic, his entire world view was very refreshing and easy to empathise with. 4.5/5, and not a point more.

Hentai Ōji: I actually ended up marathoning it after it ended and I am glad I did. At first I thought it was going to be a rather silly comedy and nothing more - but it surprised me very pleasantly. Of course, the sillies did not go away even for a second - but they fit in well and did not take away from the drama's emotional load nor did they disrupt the story itself. Tsutsukakushi's expressions(Or maybe lack thereof) provided me with constant giggles, her older sister and the pettanko wannabe young lady did not disappoint either. Behind all these gags an interesting, surprising and sad story unfolded - it could very well carry the anime on its own. 4/5.

OreImo S2: Well, generally more of the same. A very nice love comedy, exceptional because it actually is very well concluded - romantic loose ends are more or less tied up and so are the problems between Kirino and Kyousuke. I don't know what will the specials bring - another true end or maybe an afterstory? - but I certainly can't wait. Thus far the entire series gets a solid 4/5.

Nyaruko: What to say? A huge, huge pile of references, hilarious A to Z. 3.5/5.

Gargantia: Beautiful. Simply beautiful. The sparse action was first class, but it was not the most important. What really made the series was the depiction of Gargantia. Their customs, the entire new culture created on the ruins of the old world, the intertwining relations and fates... The story was very good - but it was that slow and peaceful part in the middle, where it barely advanced at all, that got this series a 5/5 from me.

Arata Kangatari: Well, let's start from the good parts. It's an interesting twist on the old-and-tried trope of interdimensional schoolgirl - gendertwist, to be exact. There sure are a lot of those stories with female leads, but only a scarce few with males, and that alone made it worth a try. I also liked the designs, they were mostly interesting. Story, while unoriginal, was rather well executed and the characters were not too flat... at lest some of them. However... What really, REALLY broke the series for me was Kadowaki and Arata's reaction to him. First, Kadowaki's motives to fight are really ridiculous. I mean, first they are totally BFF, but the moment he suspects the protagonist to have let him win a race he starts bullying him to the extent of nearly driving Arata to suicide? And then wants to kill him himself? Well, alright. Some people are just trash and find pleasure in causing mental and physical pain so I could let that alone pass. But Arata's reaction was completely retarded. A person who has been torturing him for years, who traumatized him and almost caused him to take his own life tries to directly kill him for no other reason than hate - and the reply is "I want to be friends again!". What the fuck? Just how soft do all those protagonists have to be? How unrealistic and insipid can his personality be? If their conflict was either created better from the ground OR done better with that base it'd be 3/5. But with that shitty thing as the centerpiece for half the series? 1.5/5. If the second season comes out and manages to tie the story together well, fixing that one extremely sore point I'll raise it as the series are rated as a whole - but not earlier.

Leviatha: Ok, this still has one episode but like anything is going to happen. Aaaaand the previous sentence covers the entire anime. Nothing actually happens the entire time. It has no plot, the characters are so flat you could get a papercut on them, animation is terrible, designs are bad, comedy is not funny, "cute" parts are not cute... I don't know why didn't I drop it immediately - god knows I should have. 1/5.

Edit: How could I forget Oo.

Valvrave: From bad to awesome. Early episodes with L-Elf's superhuman feats were way over the top, but later part fixed it. The timeskips give me hope for an extensive storyline spanning across many years and several more cours - after all what we have seen thus far felt more like a prelude than anything else. 4.5/5 in advance - if the story ends up disappointingly short it's going to go down.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-07-02 at 11:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Decided to check the pre-air webrip of Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi.

Was pretty awesome. Alot better than Inu to Hasami. Story looks interesting, and both the soundtrack and animation were good. The art style looks awesome. Well, I'm guessing on that one, because as it is a web rip, the quality is horrible. I'm pretty sure the 720p version will look fantastic. Didn't even notice this series before (based off the picture MAL uses, I can see why I ignored it...) but this first episode was amazing.

Exposition in visual novels irritates me. At least with Fate/ the routes were linear, so they didn't really focus on things that were already explained in previous routes. And even still, it really only happened at the start. With Tsukihime though, it's irritating. I realize Ciel/Arcueid's routes are the first ones that need to be done, but still. I seriously don't want to hear about a long winded explanation about what a Dead Apostle/True Ancestor/the Church is 3 more times. Also having very similar scenes (Chaos' fight scene) is also annoying.

I realize I can fast forward them but sometimes there are tiny details that change. To anyone who has finished it, are the other three routes similar to Ciel/Arcueid? Apparently they're the "Near Side" routes (whatever that means) and the other routes are "Far Side", so I'm guessing they are not as similar, but some reassurance would be nice.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-07-03 at 12:33 AM.

Deleted
    Exposition in visual novels irritates me. At least with Fate/ the routes were linear, so they didn't really focus on things that were already explained in previous routes. And even still, it really only happened at the start. With Tsukihime though, it's irritating. I realize Ciel/Arcueid's routes are the first ones that need to be done, but still. I seriously don't want to hear about a long winded explanation about what a Dead Apostle/True Ancestor/the Church is 3 more times. Also having very similar scenes (Chaos' fight scene) is also annoying.

I realize I can fast forward them but sometimes there are tiny details that change. To anyone who has finished it, are the other three routes similar to Ciel/Arcueid? Apparently they're the "Near Side" routes (whatever that means) and the other routes are "Far Side", so I'm guessing they are not as similar, but some reassurance would be nice.
    Turn on "Skip already read" or similarly named options in the menus, with confirmation if there is an option for that as well.
    In Type-moon novels(that I have read) you will get an option to omit the scene before it starts each time you reach an already read one. That means if there is a change, no matter how slight, the scene will be unskippable - but it also means that if you can skip it it is 100% the same as what you already have read.

In all other VNs it means when you press "skip" button it will scroll through until you reach a new part - where it will stop even if you keep holding the skip button/the toggle will turn off and be unable to turn back on.
    //e: a small mosaic of how the option looks/where is it located in a few of VNs I have installed at the moment: http://i.imgur.com/ERQJyrK.jpg

Also, the near side routes are similar and the far side routes are similar - but the difference between those two groups is enormous. Maybe even more distinct than Fate vs Heaven's Feel.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-07-03 at 01:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Turn on "Skip already read" or similarly named options in the menus, with confirmation if there is an option for that as well.
    In Type-moon novels(that I have read) you will get an option to omit the scene before it starts each time you reach an already read one. That means if there is a change, no matter how slight, the scene will be unskippable - but it also means that if you can skip it it is 100% the same as what you already have read.

In all other VNs it means when you press "skip" button it will scroll through until you reach a new part - where it will stop even if you keep holding the skip button/the toggle will turn off and be unable to turn back on.
    //e: a small mosaic of how the option looks/where is it located in a few of VNs I have installed at the moment: http://i.imgur.com/ERQJyrK.jpg

Also, the near side routes are similar and the far side routes are similar - but the difference between those two groups is enormous. Maybe even more distinct than Fate vs Heaven's Feel.
    Jesus I'm dumb. I knew that was an option in Fate/Stay Night, never realized it was common place (other than clannad, f/sn was my first vn).

Thank you, very much.

Deleted
    Jesus I'm dumb. I knew that was an option in Fate/Stay Night, never realized it was common place (other than clannad, f/sn was my first vn).

Thank you, very much.
    There's always the first time, you're welcome.

Full Metal Panic - ?/10

This series was a strange experience for me.

It made me /sigh in irritation at anime antics one minute then laugh heartily another at some of the gags. I have no love of high school romantic drama, but some of the scenes they did have were brilliant ("I just had a sudden desire to get off at this station," delivered with a straight face after diving out of the window of a moving train, was great.). Sprinkling in some occasional action, it had a decent mixture.

Then just when I was settling into this rhythm the series takes a different direction, where starting at "The Wind Blows at Home" it drops high school and most of the comedy like a depth charge in favor of Sousuke's internal struggles and his grudge with Gauron after the disaster in Helmajistan, culminating in Gauron's nearly-successful destruction of the Dana.

On one hand, the combat was done with solid vigor and I appreciated the effort they put into military appearances, as well as and the general avoidance of Sousuke going hero-mode with the Lambda Driver and solving everything. But then driven like a wedge into the middle of this whole serious story is still the fact that the ship is captained by a 16-year-old girl, with anniversary parties involving her giving out kisses and having her underwear nearly stolen (give or take the petty AS duels with underlings and having a go at Sousuke on the beach). So again I found myself admiring aspects of the show while absolutely detesting others, but now the series had managed to completely change what these were.

So in the end, I don't really know what to rank the series. It's positives were quite good and enough to get me to finish, and even though it knew to make fun of many of its own foibles ("I know how this goes: the captain of a submarine is a middle-aged guy with a beard or mustache. A girl like you is a junior grade A clerk that reads him memos!) it still indulged in them.

as FMP is my all time favourite u should rate it 10/10 ;P i still wish they would continue the anime as there are enough LN's for 2 more seasons i think ;> also tessa is the captain because she build the frickin ship as she is one of the few people that can use that super technology stuff like her brother and chidori also souske x Chidori best anime pair :X also did u see Fumoffu? as u only quited commedy stuff from like season 1 and some action stuff of season 2 . if u havent seen fumoffu do so right now its hilarious and an entire season for comedy alone but BONTA is just amazing!

Anime-List
    Steam
    LoL

Yeah, I had a friend recommend the same to me - that Fumoffu was comedy-heavy and may be better suited to what I was after from the series. I'll probably get around to finishing all three either way just because I like to complete things unless I think they're utter trash.

And yes, I'm aware the reason they give for her being the captain. But technological prodigies don't make good captains any more than aviation engineers make ideal pilots. Roasting the series over not being perfectly factual would be ludicrous, but to me there are things that require a far greater suspension of disbelief...especially when they demonstrate in full all the downsides of having a female teenage commander.